Is vertical screen still a thing in 2017?

Is vertical screen still a thing in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7hN0TLDzFL8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was thinking about getting a main horizontal screen in the middle and a vertical screen on each side.

Yes, for people with jobs.

Ooga booga
We air controllers n shieeeeet

WE WUZ memes aside, what is the reason to do that? Is there any genuine advantage to having your monitor vertical? Would it make work with certain types of programs easier?

Better tracking for text. Like when programming you might want to be able to see multiple lines

They needed more vertical screen space to see graphs and maps like in the pic.
People do that all the time everywhere.

Wouldn't horizontal be better so that you can see the whole line if it's long (line wrapping in emacs and nano is the spawn of the devil)?
I see. Couldn't those just be arranged horizontally?

>Wouldn't horizontal be better so that you can see the whole line if it's long (line wrapping in emacs and nano is the spawn of the devil)?
No, wide is rarely as helpful in my experience

>ooga booga where da white wimminz at

this

Screen needs to be edited to BLACKED

Why aren't they using 1:1 monitors?

kek

If you're dealing with digitized documents, it fits an A4 page perfectly. No scrolling, just page up/down.

Fuck off to Sup Forums retard

Fuck off to Reddit, retard.

Context?

At work I have a my laptop on the left for random shit like working on my own projects when I feel like it or browsing Sup Forums, then a horizontal bigass monitor in the middle for a browser with documentation, slack, a random terminal and mpv to watch anime, and a vertical monitor on the right with vim full screen.

I currently use three 24" in portrait at work, might upgrade to 3 27" vertical soon

I did vertical screen for a while before my second display broke. It's honestly not that bad and for some tasks like typing up documents, viewing webpages etc it works far better than horizontal screen. Granted it's a very subjective thing though so your millage may vary.

youtube.com/watch?v=7hN0TLDzFL8

>WHAT DO YOU CALL AN ULTRAWIDE BUT ROTATED 90 DEGREES?
srsly
does it defeat the point?

need to get a curved ultrawide and rotate is 90 degrees

retard retard retard retard, retard

>being this easily amused

Just think of the amount of applications that you navigate vertically.

>web pages
>IDE's
>anything list based pretty much

Dual -or more- vertical monitor setup is the most productive setup.

ultratall

One big 4k monitor and a secondary monitor in portrait mode is the GOAT dual monitor setup.

I really wish 3:2 will become more common in monitors soon, even 16:10 is pretty shit in portrait mode

On rare occasions I rotate one of my monitors at work vertical to view long documents, but I think I've done that twice in the 7 months I've been there

Literally my keyboard

>Would it make work with certain types of programs easier?
yes. basically anything with words.

how do you guys get so far in the posting process to ask questions like these? does the answer not leap out at you before you press "Post"?

4k at ~24 inches (basically 2x scaled 1080p) is really incredible. all the more so in portrait orientation.

Posting from a vertical screen right now, so yes. It's very nice for anything which involves scrolling a lot of text, web browsing included. Also great for reading comics/manga since a page fits quite nicely.

Yes. But you wouldn't think so with all the consumerist whores on nu-Sup Forums.

Normans do it on their phones so of course it's still a thing

Personally I prefer having multiple apps open side by side on my ultrawide, but I can see the appeal if you have a multi-monitor setup

>Wouldn't horizontal be better so that you can see the whole line if it's long (line wrapping in emacs and nano is the spawn of the devil)?
No. The lines should be shorter for readability. Some IDEs even give warnings for going past certain number of characters.

pic related: more visibility and less scrolling

Cut throttle, retard!

The 80-column punch card had it right.

Sluta använda chrome

Fuck off with this pajeet shit.

Tax man, looking at A4 size forms all day.

Better for documents and easier than stacking horizontal screens.

1 horizontal, rest vertical is the way to go.

I have my left monitor portrait, I love it for browsing the web, reading PDFs, etc. Terminals look great on it, but I never need a huge terminal. I just tile them in landscape.

BASED setup. Most aesthetic.

So you don't have to scroll down to see parts of it.

Yes but not like that
That's just retarded
Ideally you have one or two vertical screens accompanied by a horizontal one

In a workflow where you need the extra vertical space it's good but it's absolutely retarded when you essentially make a larger wide screen monitor like in OP