Forth

What's the deal with Forth?
It's as fast as C, as extensible as Lisp (or almost) and used for mission-critical systems, right?
Is it worth learning? How come the community is literally nonexistent?

Other urls found in this thread:

forth.com/starting-forth/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump

I learned it to use openfirmware for OSDEV on PPC, its a piece of shit, stack based languages are annoying as fuck

learn Clojure instead

You can't even compare the two.

Why does it sounds like you write most of it?

What?

Forth is all about the mentality:
"Don't solve problems you don't have to"
Which I can totally get behind.

How so?
How is it so different from other imperative languages?

You confused Forth with Fortran pajeet.

>Fortran
>extensible
You don't know what you're talking about you fucking retard. Forth is used for systems that can't afford to fail. Fortran is used for scientific computation. Kill yourself

Forth is too hard to learn and there's no documentation

>too hard
How so

>fourth
>not even under the top three programming languages

It's in the top 3 in the satellite embedded programming community

No docs

>It's as fast as C, as extensible as Lisp (or almost) and used for mission-critical systems, right?
Right
>Is it worth learning?
Absolutely
>How come the community is literally nonexistent?
It's not, we just keep to ourselves.

What's the best resource for learning it?

I learned it by reading forth code written by coworkers and writing a forth compiler for a microcontroller.

I think this is a decent introduction for a newcomer though.
forth.com/starting-forth/

Forth isn't beautiful, but it's very extensible and powerful using only a simple set of rules and definitions. You'll probably pick it up quicker than you think you will.

Is it a good first programming language to learn?

I would say no. You won't appreciate Forth if you haven't used other "normal" languages first, and you will have a harder time learning other languages if your brain is only used to working in Forth.

Learn a simple C-like language to start of with, like C or Python.

There is a large user community and it has been around for like 40 years, Forth is largely used in embedded applications and is also usually the first language that a new CPU architecture is brought up on.

There are Forth environments for dang near every CPU and many microcontrollers. Just because brainlet (((professors))) don’t teach it to drooling chinkjeet undergrads doesn’t mean it’s not used or important.

Something about RPN and stacks makes it completely baffling to nonwhites, too.

Forth is really good because it's basically a tiny lisp that can fit on a peanut sized computer. It's like unix if unix actually followed the unix way.

No. Learn both C and Lisp first.