/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Vega 64 is barely better than 56 for $100 more, avoid it
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti, 1080, Vega 56 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

theblackfriday.com/bestbuy-blackfriday.shtml?page=32
pcpartpicker.com/list/WRgtjc
wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/asus/radeon_rx_vega
pcpartpicker.com/list/6wsXxY
pcpartpicker.com/list/crC3r7
pcpartpicker.com/product/Nqp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvrb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

so if a new 1070 is 350$-400. And I can get a used 980 ti for less than 300 . Is this risky? or should I just get a new card

checked

theblackfriday.com/bestbuy-blackfriday.shtml?page=32
$129.99 1050TI

where can you get a 1070 for 350? you should definitely get that.

a guy is selling:
mobo: Asrock mATX X99 Extreme 4
ram: 32GB DDR4 2133MHz
hd: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 64MB 1TB (new)
Bitfenix Pandora chassi
PSU: Corsair CS450M
CPU-cooler: Noctua NH-C14S
4st 120mm Bitfenix fans

for about 400$

guessing this guy has been mining and is selling stuff back to get back on some of the initital costs

no cpu, no gpu, im also guessing these get fucked the most by mining so it might be fine

the ram alone is almost incentive enough to buy this

am i a retard or should i buy it

if you can find one with remaining warranty i'd say go for it

Do you think there will be any black friday deals on a 1060 6gb?

Newegg has one for $239.99 in their ad.

>>A8 9600

remember when you could buy 8gb of ddr3 ram for $35

now it's like $100 for 8gb of ddr4 wtf

Is there any indication of when the new Coffee Lake processors are going to be real instead of paper?

Where do you see that? It's probably worth noting that I live in Canada. They're around $385 here

Where's the craptop buying general? Not sure how 2500U Ryzen performs.

Raven Ridge is finally out:
>$599 HP Envy
>AMD Ryzen 5 2500U 3.6 GHz CPU
>15.6" 1920x1080 WLED-backlit Touchscreen Display
>8GB DDR4 Memory
>1TB HDD
>AMD VEGA 8 Integrated Graphics
>2x USB 3.1
>1x USB 3.1 Type-C
>1x HDMI
>Backlit Keyboard
>Windows 10 Home (64-Bit

same website as
5th page in the newegg flyerI thinik, I don't how it would be for leafs

How to obtain this kind of adapter?
I need to fix a standard ATX PSU on an proprietary HP wokstation case. I can't, the screw holes are different!

See, this questions seems stupid, but isn't. I don't live in USA. I don't know if I CAN obtain one. I tried online and physical shops of my country, and could get none.

>too much of a brainlet to know what a upgrade path is

not this year, just get ryzen instead

old thread

something something stx atx bracket or another

>A8 9600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
Don't be this retarded. This is truly literal stupidity, not the "stupid" that gets thrown around lightly as an insult
Any Athlons or A series APUs are still a no buy at this point.

>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
How exactly does fast RAM fit into a budget build? The prices are fucked

Can't you just drill a small sheet of stainless steel?

This pasta OP was made months ago

You mean, the case? It's too risky.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WRgtjc
Thoughts for a gaming build, $533 if I get the parts on sale.

if I want to have 32GB of ram is two 16GB kits from my mobo's QVL okay?

1060 3GB is not really worth buying. 3GB of vram is really not good and borderline obsolete. Save some money and get a 1050 Ti or pay a little more for a 6GB 1060

>A8 9600 for non-gaming
NOOOOO
DELETE THIS

do it desu

Was recommended getting a silverstone branded PSU for my build by a few friends. Are these PSU's any good?

you can get some of them on b&h within the week
honestly shouldn't be too hard to get them if you set up alerts for amazon, newegg, b&h etc

>not getting Seasonic, Superflower, EVGA

they're pretty decent, but nothing too amazing

As long as they're not pure crap then I'll be ok with them. I'm on a pretty tight budget and considering I'm basing this build off a second hand motherboard and CPU I ideally don't want to go over the top with spending on certain parts.

yeah they're not the best, but it's hard to find something better for the same price and they are good enough

Sounds perfect for my needs then! Thanks user!

The brand doesn't matter, only the fucking OEM. Who originally made the PSU you are looking at? If you can't find that out, then it's automatically shit and you should just get something from seasonic.

a good resource for PSUs is jonnyguru's reviews

What's the best used parts bang-buck for 1080p 144hz gaming? I'm thinking
Used 3770k or MAYBE a 4690k if I can find one under $200, and some sort of 980ti.

Just sent Asus a firm email enquiring about the release date of custom VEGAs. Surely they will give me a solid date now

Obviously you're buying used, so questionable warranty. Ebay/paypal will refund you if you get something that's DOA and the owner refuses to work with you. The 980Ti should definitely be cheaper than the 1070

Not for gaming. Maybe if you're doing some kind of VM or server type work.. that's all you'd need 32Gb of RAM for

>too much of a brainlet to understand the the G4560 has an uprgrade path
>enough of a brainlet to recommend a Bristol Ridge APU (A8 9600 to you, brainlet)

>too much of a brainlet to know what a upgrade path is

some used ryzen 5 and like a $100 hawaii

>quad core
>housefire
>upgrade
ALL YOU NEED IS 4 CORES 4 LYFE

ASUS is shit

>upgrade path
>eol platform
you obviously never had to buy a discontinued intel motherboard, just get out newfag

this card is shit right

it's a 6GB model at a reasonable price $220, but its one of those mini-cards

i regularly use VMs or a lot of ram in general because im a cs-fag

would it be a viable gayman computer+vmbox with an i7 6800k and like an rx56 or something when the aftermarket coolers come and prices go down?

hmmm yes mmm

>Broadwell-e
just get ryzen instead of eol discontinued shit

Last time we were told early October and see where we are.

What's with all the beef against people buying second hand motherboards?

why does mini make it shit?

Just because it's the mini design doesn't mean it's shit.

I got a 960 from gigabyte and it was the mini design, shit can even handle overclocking while keeping temps similarly to the reference models which were bigger although I only overclocked it to test since the maximum I do of gayman is some civilization or checking my old friends on a shitty mmo.

before that it was early September

They've been listed on Sath Efrican stores now so they must be near
>wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/asus/radeon_rx_vega

thats not relevant to my questions, im not thinking of buying a ryzen, im thinking of buying older but still more relevant hardware than the i5 2500k im sitting on right now

whats the point, amd already builds up the vrms on their references to a ridiculous degree, just get vega and some aftermarket cooling from arctic or something instead of waitfagging like some dumb coffee lake nigger

why bother, ryzen is cheaper even when its new then overpriced broadwell shit on its dead platform

Ryzen 5 is auctioning way above the asking price of 4690k's, and I'll end up having to fork out premium for ddr4. Hawaii is good to look for, but I hope I don't get burned on a miner's card.

Are there any unique watercooling cases released lately?

My mobo took a shit and now I have to rebuild. Also the shitty ek cpu block started flaking so I have to more less start from the ground up. I don't want to keep the pic related case anymore because to be honest I only bought it because it supported a special snowflake 4x120mm square radiator (and the fact that it's super tiny for an eatx build) but the rest of the case is cheap shit considering it only costs $70.

All the cases I've looked at are so.... pedestrian. I mean I'm not saying I want a ebin specshul case but I want to actually have fun building it and I can't do that with a generic layout.

>720 dollarydoos

Lad that's a GTX 1080Ti in the first world

1080 ti here in Aus is ~$1150

1080 ti in huestan is 1117 dollars in the cheapest store.

the cheapest mobo, cpu and ram i could find for a ryzen setup would set me back 538 dollars

thats a 1600, asus b350 and 16gigs of ram

yeah but that's because of your insane taxes. Here we don't even have a legitimate reason for the price, its just retailers shafting us for profit.

>Floating-point performance -12,665 GFLOPS
>Memory bus - 2,048 bit
>Texture rate - 395.8 GTexel/s
>More shading units - 4,096
>Texture mapping units - 256
Why does VEGA 64 perform so badly when on paper its significantly better than the 1080 ti?

Time to glass those cunts m8.

>tfw been thinking of upgrading my machine to a threadripper but just the cpu, mobo and ram will cost me around 5k dollars.

Working in the tech field in brazil is pure suffering, should have done like my dad and become a geologist instead.

Couldn't you literally fly to the US, buy the parts, fly back and save money? In some cases I could do that Aus - HK

ripjaws vs trident z?
timings/speed are the same

Airplane ticket would be around 900 dollars to 1.6k depending on which state you would go in the US and then I would have to pay import taxes on all the parts anyways because their current allowance is 500 dollars in products that you can bring without being taxed.

In short it's easier to literally buy everything here and pay the stupid prices or try to buy from some guy who managed to get it from some country close to us like chile or argentina and dodged the IRS gov fellas.

I think the trident z was made specifically for good Ryzen compatibility so I'd base my decision on whichever CPU is in the system.

okay, thanks
both sets are on the QVL but I might go with the trident Z because it looks less retarded

Fuck mate that's grim. Its currently $1000 threshold here but I guarantee its going to drop again in the next couple years. When Amazon fully sets up shop our retailers will be clawing at the government for "protectionist" policies that will only remove options for consumers here.

That's the Flare X you're thinking of, but the CL14 Trident Z is great for Ryzen too.

Oh yeah that might be it

if you're talking about the 3200MHz rams I think you're talking about, you're seriously going to pay $20 more because it looks 'less retarded'?

>our retailers will be clawing at the government for "protectionist" policies that will only remove options for consumers here.

This is pretty much how we got this bad, user.
Decades of the same big 3 retail stores crying about muh international competition destroying the local market.
Never let commies and sellouts get in power else you guys are fucked like us.

I don't know about your average retard on the street but at least here most people I've spoken to about it have called bullshit. Everyone knows Harvey Norman got as big as it is now by crushing and price gouging local retailers in the 20th century - now they're whining that the same thing is going to happen to them.

no, not really
but I am going to have to check to see how tall they are to see if they fit under the cooler I'm planning on getting

pcpartpicker.com/list/6wsXxY

Anyone mind taking a look at my build? First one I've done in a few years, tried to keep it as close to $1000 as possible. This would be a simple gaming/streaming rig.

Guess it will depend on how strong their lobbying for a protectionist policy will be then.
Anyways if amazon sets shop out there you guys will be saved from this faggotry so there's at least hope out there.

Kinda, not really. OP has been updated a lot recently, obviously in the timeframe since the release of Coffee Lake

Prices aren't really that different between 2133 and 3000MHz

Dumb advice.. the 3GB 1060 is just fine. Having 4GB of RAM certainly does not mean the 1050Ti is as close to as powerful as the 3GB 1060. You adjust texture settings to fit your card if need be.

Ah, it's like a memorial to me.

Two of my posts, from such different times (check the post number), got included in the screencap? I must really get to you

Personally I'd say the R5 1400 is a better alternative to the i7 3770K if you're buying RAM too.

If you're streaming I would consider the R5 1600. I haven't done enough research on that to tell you which is better

How can I improve this?
pcpartpicker.com/list/crC3r7

worth holding off upgrades until black friday? Are there online sales on black friday or is that cyber monday?
I wanted to pick up an SSD, some speakers and headphones

In every single way unless you give us a budget you mong

Yes, especially for headphones. You might get lucky and find some deals for SSDs too.

>tfw recently impulse bought $500 headphones
I was a fool but I still really like them

thoughts on the i3 8350k ?

right off the bat, you can get faster RAM for the same price while it's on sale for today
pcpartpicker.com/product/Nqp323/gskill-memory-f43200c16d16gvrb

Does faster RAM really do much?

not really, but if it's the same price, why not

switch ssd for a samsung 850 evo
switch GPU for a dual fan unless you want to roleplay as an airplane pilot
switch your case for the blue led version, red LEDs only increase the speed of overclockable CPUs, whereas blue LEDs will cool down all systems

no but it does something, and every bit helps
plus team delta ram isn't exactly top of the line

Yes it does. The advantage with Ryzen is bigger, up to 30%.

Did I make a mistake by buying a EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING, ACX 2.0 (Single Fan) instead of the double?

yes, enjoy your house fire

Should I cancel it for the double fan? They didn't take the money out yet.

First time builder. Should I get i5 8600k and a gtx 1070 or a i7 8700k and a gtx 1060. Going to be gaemen and mild content cretio n / videos

what is the price difference?