External hard drives

what are the best external hard drive brands? Is Seagate any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

iosafe.com/products-rugged-portable-SSD-overview
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RCJ54BC/
pcpartpicker.com/product/QFGj4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd130xzsta
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>external spinning disks
none of them

Sure man I want an SSD that will die suddenly without any chance of retrieving the data if I happen to bump it.

I've been using seagates and they work fine for me. I have 3 1tb drives full of anime and cartoons and I drop them and shit, they don't even care.

any recommended size? I dont trust anything beyond 1tb cause it might die and cost me all my data

Seagate and WD are trash and will break in a year. Buy Toshiba.

do they last much longer?

Toshiba have high standards for their hard drives. I have one 500GB drive that's four years old and still going strong and two 1TB drives that are a little over two years old that are also fine.

Don't cheap out and go for Seagate or WD, you'll regret it.

Just has a seagate die on me after maybe 6 backups, and only 4 months of ownership. Not happy. But I have another thans been used for 3 years.

I only use SSDs for backups now. G-Drive is good.

I have a Seagate 500 gb that's nearing 4 or 5 at this point and it's working as well. Anecdotes mean shit all.

I've had a WD 2TB for about 2 years. It's still working fine. But if I were to buy today I'd get an external SSD because prices have come way way down while those for HDDs have not. 2TB is really overkill for me, would be fine with a 500GB eSSD.

>WD trash
Get your facts checked dude, Seagates are a lot, lot less durable, had no experience with Toshiba but heard that they aren't always very stable either.

I use a 2gb WD for my Xbox One.
A little faster than the internal 1tb drive, which I'm sure is a crappy seagate.

then stop buying low end seagate products you cheap sh*t

I have a la cie quadro that's 11 years old and still going. The drive inside is a seagate, kinda noisy and slow now, but still getting the job done.

That's not how they not work

>best

I'd suggest looking at one of IOSafe's products; here's an example: iosafe.com/products-rugged-portable-SSD-overview

* Crush proof for 2500 pounds of force
* Liquid proof for 30 feet of immersion in fresh/salt water or gasoline for 3 days.

It isn't fireproof like some of their larger systems, but that is a tradeoff for being pocket sized.

(not replier)

and if they did work like that hdd's would be even worse

>external hard drive
>paying for a cheap case

HGST Touro.

I like you. You make sense.

Cream of the crop

>thinking SSDs will do this and not HDDs
You sir, are retarded.

your keyboard gives me win98 flashbacks

I had this old 500gb one fail on me. It's such a nasty experience.

Ironically, i bought a Toshiba for "important stuff" and a cheap WD Elements for carrying around.
The Toshiba literally got sudden death less than a year later, tried everything and it was impossible to recover. And I only used it once a month to do backups
The cheap WD still works like day one and I copied files from pretty much every FS out there, no a single corrupt file
So in my experience, I wouldn't recommend Toshiba to anyone

This might belong to /sqt/, but is there any difference between using 2.5" disk + case and an external disk?
Sure, both are principally the same thing, but maybe there are different standards to comply with?

I've had my WD for almost 3 years now. Still working fine

WD passport are good for carrying around

Toshiba canvio is legit. Had dropped mine while copying stuff and for the first fucking time I observed the haptic sensor trigger off my HDD during the most crucial moment.
I dropped my drive and had no errors at all - the head returned immediately before damage is about to be done!

Meanwhile a mild shock from my IPS certified transcend (seagate franchise) drive caused the head to fly and the platter to misalign.
>shock and dust proof meme
>gets hot due to rubberized "shockproof" casing
>there are even times it won't turn the led on
>literally no emergency haptic sensor-killswitch but let's label it shockproof by putting it in an expensive case
Seagate is shit.
Never again.

Maybe you bought ones with bad firmware. You should update the firmware or at least check if that model had issues.

consumer grade toshiba are the worst of the worst

yeah, no...
i still use 500gb seagate thats well over decade old cause shit refuses to die.

I just had an SSD fail after years of use and I managed to recover 11/12 of the data stored on it including all of my config files and my gpg keychain. It isn't that bad.

Is getting a 2 TB WD Gold with an aluminium enclosure a good solution for an eHDD? On paper it blows competition out of the water.

I have a toshiba drive in my 8 year old laptop, it has 4,1 years of power on time. Laptop has fallen many times. Still working fine.

no theyre all just shit

>Seagate slim had developed bad sectors, had to rma it.
>WD casing died, I had to buy a generic casing.
So for now, I'll just stick with WD.

Me on the right

A desktop drive in an enclosure or a laptop drive in an enclosure. Every other choice gets you gimped disks and overpriced crap

Stay away from western digital.

they have usb 3 not sata

has sandisk ultra II 960gb 7mm 2.5" in a 3.1 type c enclosure + thunderbolt cable had read 450mb/s write of 550mb/s. laptop is 2gb/s so sold it and bought 2TB HDD for 1/3 of the cost lol

guys whats the best deal on MSATA drives, and who is supposed to have the best sale on HDD's and externals this thanksgiving?

I want to put MSATA drives in my thinkpads as boot drives, and was thinking of getting some SSD's for them too. I want to turn my T520 into my entertainment machine when I go on AMTRAK or the plane. I already have the ultrabay and a chinkshit 128gb SD card.

shizuku reports hdd that is connected through usb 3 as SATA/600

shizuku a whore

tomboy a shit

I've always just used straight up 2.5"s and never had an issue.

iomega WAS the best imho.
aluminium cases for better cooling.

Western Digital over Seagate, always.
Another brand that's been winning my heart lately is Toshiba.

I ordered a 3TB WD Red 3.5" internal drive and this USB3 enclosure: amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RCJ54BC/

It works very well for me (plugged in at all times for hourly Time Machine backups). No issues since setting it up in June 2016.

The truth though is that it's all about probability; any drive could fail at any time and the most important thing is that your data be in more than one place at once.

>it might die and cost me all my data
Exactly, this is what you need to avoid. The data needs to be on your main/internal drive AND an external backup.

Looking at buying this as an internal drive. Any recommendations pcpartpicker.com/product/QFGj4D/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdwd130xzsta

good choice.
toshiba makes high quality drives unlike seagate.
its even better than wd

The Seagate drive I have now is a hand-me-down from my dad.
Has lasted something like 4 years.

they was good long ago
now they have highest fail rate.

>Paying for a RED without putting in raid

Actually retarded, most reds are just blues with different firmware, if you aren't putting them in raid, don't bother

I just use 3.5 wd blues and put them in an enclosure

I think the warranty was 3 years vs 2 for blue, or something along those lines.