/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Prev: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

alpinelinux.org/)
github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
grymoire.com/Unix/
prism-break.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4
warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959
rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412
lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html
docs.xubuntu.org/1710/user/C/what-is-xubuntu.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android#Android_Debug_Bridge_.28ADB.29
hastebin.com/mawodabare.rb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install GuixSD

Install Druaga1 OS

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

Reccomended Distro:
Alpine(alpinelinux.org/)
Sabotage(github.com/sabotage-linux/sabotage)

Build kernel 4.14 on debian with clang
github.com/ramosian-glider/clang-kernel-build

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

>What distro should I choose?

>What are some cool programs?

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
grymoire.com/Unix/

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/

When I ctrl+alt+f1 into console mode, I don't get a command line. ctrl+alt+f2 puts me into console mode with a command line. However, once I return to the GUI with "startx," I can't get back into the console.

Why is this happening?

I'm learning way more from my linux + cert program than I ever learned from the shitters in the Ubuntu forum.

Is there an infographic here when it comes to ricing?
I want to know what are the current options that are not tiling memes since I like to mess around with my windows.

We use tiling at my job where we run scripts.

I am a not very tech inclined normie, so anything with command lines for anything would be kinda out of my league. Something more lean would be nice, this is a 10 year old vista OS that had norton and god knows what on it, so it's pretty painful to use. Plus that linux is less susceptible to malware and such is a positive. I don't go downloading random stuff anywhere, but the thought of viruses and malware is ominous and stressful to me. Does Xubuntu have stuff for video/photo editing with the OS?

Will it just work or do I have to mess around with the games? Like can I just play my copy of KOTOR 2 on steam and have no issues if I am using Linux? That's my main concern.

With the dual booting, does that mean windows will be on in the backround too, or will only Linux be on until I reboot the system?

Threadly reminder to all newbies that are going to ask the inevitable question.

No, it's not hard to play games on GNU/Linux. No, it's not starved for games. There are more linux native games available today than ever before, console emulation is better than ever (pretty much anything can be emulated nowadays save PS4, Xbone and Xbox360), and Wine will run most DX9 games. DX10 and DX11 support is still dodgy, so games that need those will probably not run as well, or at all.

If you want to go full wizard mode, then there's always hardware-passthrough like shown here youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4 to have a Windows machine jailed under your Linux machine, and passing it your GPU so you have basically no performance loss. This shouldn't be done if you're a newbie though. If it sounds like too much pain, you could just dualboot Window and LInux, and use the small Windows partition only for games that can't run on Linux for one reason or another.

Check these old posts out also

Can anyone with a 580 tell me how good the drivers are, both in games and overall?

Good remote control software that supports winblows and mac for linux? I'm literally using team viewer right now, kill me.

What I would recommend is the following.
If you don't have any personal data of value in that computer, then I would just wipe the drive clean and install Xubuntu on top of it. This way you get a fresh start with plenty of space.

If you have data on there that you want to retrieve later (even if it might be infected with some virus, which is not recommendable), or you simply want to have the Windows aprtition in there just in case, then all you need to do is Defrag your hard drive, go into your disk management program, and Shrink your partition so that you can make a new clean partition from the space you made. Then you reboot, plop the USB with the Xubuntu ISO burned to it, and select to install in that new partition to leave Windows alone and have both coexisting.

You will inevitably need to learn stuff about the terminal (command line), but using Ubuntu should make this process easier. You'll quickly see how easier, useful and far better it is than doing things graphically, but that's another discussion.

If it's native for Linux on Steam, GOG, etc, then all you have to do is use the installer like you would on Windows. For example, KOTOR 2 is native on Linux, on Steam. You would install it just as you would on Windows.

If it's not native, you use Wine and see if it works. If it uses DX9 you should be good. If it uses DX10 or 11, it might not work

Dualbooting will make it so that only one of the two operating systems will be running at a time.

Do remember however, if you want to dualboot and you';ve never done this before, be mindful that you can risk screwing something up and deleting your WIndows partition or something. So I would advise if there's anything you fear losing on that windows partition, that you back it up before attempting the dualboot (which is easy, but you never know, newbies can make silly mistakes sometimes)

please respond

>waiting 10 minutes
Fuck off
Google that shit, you'd find it easily

fuck off, separatist asshole

If you alt ctrl f1 from a gui, X is already running and you just alt ctrl f7 to get back.

How old is the average friendly user in this thread?

>separatist
>/flt/ has been here over 2 years.
It's right here, July 2015, first documented /flt/

warosu.org/g/thread/S49808959

rbt.asia/g/thread/48653055/#48653055

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/48969412/#48969412

rbt.asia/g/thread/48969412/#48969412

Now that's been settled, you can go back to re dit or Sup Forums or whatever turd you crawled out from

vnc anything

wizard next year.

Ignore him. Your disdain sustains him.

And yes, there's plenty of video/photo editing software available on GNU/Linux. Anything that has do with basic productivity is already there from a long time ago.

Something you need to understand when going into the linux world is the following: GNU/Linux is the OS, and there's lots and lots of distributions of this OS. Xubuntu is one of them. So anything that is compatible for GNU/Linux is compatible for any distro. Many distros use different software packaging, but if something you want isn't available and packaged for your current distro, all you have to do is download the source code on your computer and bam, you have the software. So it's very freeing in that regard.

Quem que furô um furo no meio d mim

This is your future.
Thoughts?

I can tell you that I'm 23, I don't know the average.

No.
Maybe in 5 years it could be good.

Garbage that is atleast 20 years out before being relevant

I feel like I'm one of the older one's here, almost 23.

Threadly Reminder No. 2 that Arch's philosophy is awful

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html

>Arch is the opposite of user freedom
>never offered much freedom/choice
>decisions are made via dev consensus, not popularity
>Arch is the opposite of a distro with lots of user freedom
>simple distro from dev perspective, not users
>user opinion has no sway here, regardless of how vocal they are about it

if you dislike this way of operation, then you basically have no excuse to use their distro. If you're fine with being treated like that as a user however, then by all means keep that BDSM twink suit on, baby

didn't worked, just closed all my shit

>If you have data on there that you want to retrieve later
All that is on there that means anything is some pictures and webms I've saved from the internet,Sup Forums and such. I got a 64 gb usb drive so I should be able to just pull it all and be okay with deleteing the rest of the drive. None of it is infected afaik.
Will Xubuntu be okay on this machine, it's a old insprion from 2007 with like an Athlon and 2gb of ram or should I use lunbuntu? The new machine will have at least 8gb so that isn't a worry for later on.

Nice, I'm not too familiar with editing, but it will be nice to have an option. I can't even open mp4's or webms on this machine since vista, so I can't even edit anything at all.

If it has 2GB of RAM then yes, maybe Lubuntu would be a better option for you. XFCE would also probably run well on 2GB but it might start pushing it if you start doing heavier things

A big bottleneck for old machines nowadays is web browsing. Webdevs nowdays are pants on head retarded and bloat their websites to hell and back, so loading a simple site can sometimes download a bunch of MB's of useless javascript or whatever else to simply show some text. Sadly, that's not really something you can fix even by switching to Linux, as it's an external problem. You can definitely minimize it by using Linux though.

I know it's not relevant yet. Wanted to know Sup Forums's thoughts on it as a thing.
>This is your future.

Fuck. I was planning on trying Arch. I'm gonna have to learn how to install and set up Void or Source Mage, aren't I?

>Debian respects your freedoms
Nope. Still uses systemd and it's bloated to hell. Stable is fucking garbage.

Debian respects your freedom. All the software in the main repos is completely free.

Systemd is free software, whether you like it or not is another question. If you are adamant about having no Systemd on your computer, then feel free to uninstall it, or use Devuan, or whatever else you want.

A netinstall of Debian is extremely small. I don't see how you can argue that it's bloated. You can even install the system without the coreutils if you really want to.

Why do you think Stable is "garbage"?

>Still uses systemd
>Fuck. I was planning on trying Arch.
You do realize Arch has used systemd for ages right?

>bloated to hell
explain.

>Stable is fucking garbage.
Don't use stable then

And I should add, Debian only uses systemd because there was a vote and systemd won that vote.

>Why do you think Stable is "garbage"?
Because the old ass packages makes it an inferior experience, even if you are not a dev/programmer.

Then why not upgrade the system to Testing or Sid?

>>Don't use stable then

best distro tbqh

>If you're fine with being treated like that as a user however, then by all means keep that BDSM twink suit on, baby

*tips gimp suit*

/fglt/ is evidence enough not to care about what the average users are obsessed about. Arch is still user-centric, in that it's designed for people willing to become power users who are good at using basic bread-and-butter commands. Arch was just never about working perfectly on every user's setup: it should be noted that a user CAN set up their system to be like Gentoo, or to use openrc/runit, but -- as with elements like the AUR -- the Arch devs aren't going to care when you complain that things don't work.

Also,
>dat "muh freedom" baiting

When I ctrl+alt+f1 into console mode, I don't get a command line. ctrl+alt+f2 puts me into console mode with a command line. However, once I return to the GUI with "startx," I can't get back into the console.

Why is this happening?

I don't know.

Why is this happening?

>this turbo autism
ctrl+alt+f1 doesn't go to "console mode". You're switching to the 1st virtual terminal; when you have X running, X generally replaces the virtual terminal. If you want that terminal back, you have to close X.

The same goes for the other virtual terminals. Once you start X, you have to kill the X session in order to get back to the terminal.

Check your init systems setting, you may not be able to spawn other tty's for some reason, either from configuration or error

Would going from lubuntu to xubuntu be a smooth transition or would it be a bit confusing once I move on to the better machine?

Also, what is the difference between regular ubuntu vs xubuntu?

So how can I smoothly switch between GUI and terminal-only?

docs.xubuntu.org/1710/user/C/what-is-xubuntu.html

Why do you specifically need a terminal-only environment?

But ignoring that for now, you can just use those first two ttys. I assume your X session starts automatically on tty1. So then run your terminal-only things on tty2 by doing ctrl+alt+f2. And then when you need a desktop environment again, just do ctrl+alt+f1 instead of executing startx.

Remember that it's still Ubuntu, so basically everything you know will carry over. The only difference between Xubuntu, Lbunutu, Ubuntu is their skin on top, basically, and what programs come bundled out of the box.

>Arch devs openly state they do not care about user freedom
>b-but it totally is user centric guys

user just accept you're wrong and move on. You can keep using your Arch box if you like it, just don't try to contradict the devs' own words because it makes you look stupid and intellectually dishonest.

I am new to Linux. Where am I supposed to extract a tar executable file to when I download it? Then how do i run it?

How do you transfer files between GNU/Linux and Android/Linux? I can access the device, but the directories are all empty, so I guess I'm missing something?

dat cognitive dissonance
first stage: denial

tar xf yourtar.tar
. ./yourbinary

Hey idk if this is the place to ask but wifi issues on fedora. I'm using a non modified T530 basically wifi is hit or miss sometimes it's 100mbps other times its 50kbps. Is it Linux my wifi card or both? What are some things or products I could use to fix this?

What if the binary is a virus?

You should not run a binary you do not trust, ya silly goose.

Just use adb.

I wrote a little tutorial about how to, but it's in portuguese, so you can just read the wiki.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android#Android_Debug_Bridge_.28ADB.29

Here if you want to read my little tutorial for some reason: hastebin.com/mawodabare.rb

how do I find "yourbinary"

By 'yourbinary' I mean the binary inside yourtar.tar

The first command extracts the contents of the tar archive into the current folder

The second command executes the binary you extracted in the current folder

INSTALLINSTALLINSTALLINSTALL
ALPINE ALPINE ALPINE ALPINE

Are you sure that it's a binary inside?

I'm prefering mutt tbqh fem.

where should I extract it to tho

How do I set that path?

What do you mean with "extract" and which path are you refering to?

Hi guys, I just finished installing xubuntu, and I like it so far! LTS is recommended for beginners, right? Should I have installed 17.10 instead?

Wherever you want. If you want to be organized, you can put in in ~/.local/bin or something (if it's really a binary). Otherwise just include the PATH in your .bashrc to wherever you want to extract it. Altenratively, if it's something you're opnly going to use once, then you just extract it wherever and do . ./yourbinary

LTS is fine. Don't worry about it, just enjoy yourself

>~/.local/bin
why not ~/bin senpai
most distros even already have ~/bin included in the PATH

>. ./yourbinary
Huh, that would source the binary, but not execute it.

On Debian the default is ~/.local/bin , but it really doesn't matter. You can put it wherever as long as you set the PATH there (or it's already set as default on your distro)

ur fine, install cmatrix and chill

What is the very best of the best distro?

I've always been curious how a simple aesthetic matrix scrolling thing can eat up so much CPU power

The One I'm Using (TM) Ultimate Edition.

have a T560 with an Intel 8260 wifi card, and have no such problem (mostly connect to my 802.11n ISP router 3 rooms across, always around 130Mbps link)

does it do that on all APs you've connected to?

Thanks

You're right, my bad.

It's ./yourbinary, without the first dot

You're welcome

No problem.

pop!_OS

so what would be a real example of the binary? I am trying to install tor browser on Linux.

Does it automatically go to the proper binary folder? I am trying to see how it determines what path the folder is put at

No just mine, it's fine at friends, school, and parents house. I'm directly above it no more than like 10 feet vertically as well.

Hannah Montana Linux.

GNU/Linux*

the one that ticks your boxes

Here is what lspci returns for network controller

realtek semiconductir co. ltd RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi adapter (rev 1)

I'm searching for a heavyweight distro which provides endless features and feature accessoires. Recommendations?

Programs installed by your package manager go into /usr/bin. You should ideally NOT place custom binaries here yourself.

Programs you extract from tarballs from the internet can go wherever you want, like I said earlier. If you want to be neat and tidy about it, put it in ~.local/bin/ , /usr/local/bin , whatever you want.

If you want to put it in a custom directory like ~/MyPrograms then all you need to do is add ~/MyPrograms to your PATH through a line in your .bashrc

Slackware

Kubuntu

Arch Linux with KDE and a bunch of crap installed from the AUR is probably the bloatiest and heaviest you could get

only ever had problems with realtek
are you using it in 802.11n?
if so, try deactivating channel bonding on your router
with 802.11n, that shit only ever works remotely properly with sthe ame chipset on both ends

t. nobody ever

I don't know. Should it download to no path at all or what? I get pic related

Another option is to create a user with no access to root or anything dangerous at all, e.g. "ben" or something, and install/run non-repo programs as ben.