/spg/ - smartphone general

Reminder to US annons. You may be living next to a new $75 Moto G5+. Check your zip code an the SKU 468426732

brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/zte_blade_a520-8609.php
gizmochina.com/2017/11/07/smartisan-nut-pro-2-launched-5-99-189-display-5-different-variants-fantastic-design/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who /hype/?

When is Sony going to announce their next phone? I'm looking forward to a new Sony that finally doesn't have fuckhueg bezels.

>new Sony that finally doesn't have fuckhueg bezels
Never gonna happen

That's where you're wrong, kiddo
>Kenichiro Hibi said the company is "planning to launch a new generation of products, and you can expect a complete new design from the devices"

Should I just wait for the Galaxy S9? Or wait even longer for the X?

The Galaxy X is supposed to be a foldable phone that will probably revolutionize smartphones.

I'm still using an S6. All of the new smartphones out just don't seem that much of an upgrade.

Guys I'm undecided. I need an upgrade from my 2GB RAM Redmi Note 3 Pro. Here's what I had in mind:
Prices in AUD:
LG V20 for $440 (337 USD)
Axon 7 for $330 (252 USD)
Mi A1 for $300 (230 USD) - much slower

Or maybe you guys have any other suggestions?

I really like the removable battery on the V20 and the better camera, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra $$.

Wait out till the S9.

Buying a flagship to replace it every 2 years is not worth it. Make it last 3 years.

V20 is undervalued for some reason because it isn't a "flagship" despite walking the G series, and it's also the only phone of that line-up that will still be viable in 2019.

Is the Moto X4 the best mid range phone right now if I don't want to buy from China? I just smashed the screen on my OP3 so I'm taking the opportunity to get a new phone since I want a smaller screen.

I want something 5-5.2 inches, USB C, waterproofing, fingerprint reader and preferably something with good custom ROM support. I know that the Moto X4 doesn't have any custom ROM support right now but it'll most likely come later since Moto usually has good support.

hows the LG G3 lads? does it get bootloops like the newer LGs?

I still got a S6 and I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon. I replaced the battery and it works fantastic with no lag.

That makes sense.

I was comparing the low-light performance of the three cameras, and the V20 miles ahead of the other two and easily trades blows with flagships today.

I bought a new phone.
gsmarena.com/zte_blade_a520-8609.php
Googling "root android" gives way too many contradicting results.
I have no expertise whatsoever with tampering android. A little with Linux.

How do I root? Should I use an app? Should I backup my rom?

How accurate is brickseek? I found one for 75 but it's like 40 minutes away.

Also it says 0 stock so that's why I'm asking about accuracy. Maybe I should call tomorrow as well to be sure but advice is welcome. I'd get the phone for a relative.

OnePlus design a shit! They've confused 18:9 aspect ratio for bezellessness. Still, top of the line specs and metal back, which is a huge deal nowadays when everyone goes for the "premium feel" (fuck the morons that invented that term) and the wireless charging meme at the cost of drops survivability.

Pixel 2 XL working great for me. Would totally recommend so long as you never ever for ever never put another phone next to it. Dem poor screen vibrancy feels. Everything else is fucking phenomenal about it

Kinda hard not to compare if you have a phone already. I had a look at one on display in-store and I could instantly tell

ill be buying the op5 when the 5t comes out

Where? Apparently the 5t is gonna be the same price as the 5 was before they stopped selling it, and everywhere else it's more expensive.

I went from an LG G6 to the 2 XL and it's very hard to not compare. Especially when you use the G6 as a fap fone™ nightly. As a daily driver its good enough, but thats about it. Good enough. No burn yet after about a month

online probably on ebay/swappa. and i feel like im in the minority but I prefer capacitve keys

GSam says I average 5:53 screen on time per charge. Galaxy S8 snapdragon. What kind of battery life are you guys getting?

Is it wise to buy a razer phone with a sd835 when the 845 is coming out next year?
should i wait for that new chip?

I've had a Nexus 6 since 2015 so I don't really have that preference, but it's cool. We'll see how it goes, I'm also looking at other phones if the 5t has issues on the first batches.

>should i wait
Unless you want something extremely specific, never play the waiting game.

I've been playing it for a year and a half now, and I've been steadily losing.

Was my tought aswel, my nexus 5x bootlooped so im using an old moto g..
i dont think i cant wait till next year

Then if you're in dire need of a new phone don't wait. Don't make my mistake.

>Using LG G6
>Have had LG phones ever since G2
>Never had an issue
>Don't get the hate
>Although fuck the G4 because fuck the G4 and its performance issues
>And the G5 had such a stunted attempt at modularity its more than hilarious.
The G6 went back to simplicity and I love it for that. Makes me sad that the V30 feels like the complete phone LG was trying to make

>V30
is the 128gb version a good deal if I can get it for 600 bucks or is it better to wait and get a one plus 5t? I like the lg design better but bootloops screen issues and glass back put me off...

snapdragon 845 phone for $400 when

Do you have battery life?

I have a budget around 200$ and I am thinking about getting the Nokia 6, if it worth it? Is the snapdragon 430 a good enough processor in this price range?

I get about 5h SOT, so yes

Yes.

I'm using a 4 year old blackberry Z30

What should I buy if I don't want to spend over $300 CAD?

do you use auto screen brightness or fix it to a setting?

>want razer phone
>hyped since day 1
>read gsmarena's review
>phone turns out to be shit

wat do?

What launcher are you using? I just started using Lawnchair and I'm happy with it.

gizmochina.com/2017/11/07/smartisan-nut-pro-2-launched-5-99-189-display-5-different-variants-fantastic-design/

Anyone buy this? is it chinkshit?

>>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

Why do you take the trouble of posting it in the sticky if it's too outdated to be useful?

Don't buy it.

Guess il buy the op5t then

update it then

Just updated my Mi Mix 2 to MIUI9 global stable. The only thing missing now is xposed for minminguard and the youtube adblocking, but I'm thinking I may just forget xposed and re-lock the bootloader as-is for my banking apps.

So far everyday I've gotten 7-8hrs SOT with 1-2hrs of that playing games at work in downtime, mostly high brightness all the time.

I wish more things made use of the 18:9 resolution.

Updated.

Auto brightness, with lighter themes since lighter displays use less power for lcds

I've been using a flip phone up til now and now I have to get a smartphone for my job. I honestly know nothing about how these things work though. Can someone give me a recommendation? Any help would be appreciated.
My needs:
-runs my stupid company's app
-linux friendly
-good battery
Also are phone cases a meme?

How is multitasking on MIUI based apps.
My NOTE 3 Pro (2GB) on MIUI seems to have terrible memory management. I have one chrome tab open, I go to my home screen to do something, and I try going back to chrome and it reloads the entire app and page.

I could not check my texts for 2FA when logging in because it would refresh the page and send me a new text every time.

Is 2GB RAM really not enough?

I am currently running NitrogenOS 8.0.0 and it is infinitely better with RAM management...

Help Sup Forums, need to get a new phone but there way too many choices in the market. Upgrading from a Note 3 that recently broke.

Looking for something that has a large screen(read all my manga/ebooks on phone), good audio, smooth interface, 3.5mm jack, battery to last a day of listening to music through jack or BT, and useable with Canadian carriers.

Something like a Note 8 or V30 maybe?

You need to go into developer options and set "memory optimization" to "low" or "off" and "MIUI optimization" to off.

Also helps to lock the apps you want to keep open all the time so MIUI never closes them even if you use the "close all" button. So far, none of my apps are reloading and I usually have 2 of 6gb free, but I also disabled the above options.

I upgraded from a Note 3 Pro, but it was 3gb. The difference between a 2gb and 3gb phone is massive, 2gb is borderline enough today. On that phone I ran into apps reloading but locking everything I wanted and adjusting the above settings I never really ran into any issues.

MIUI9 uses like 200mb less RAM than MIUI8, so you should upgrade to that if you haven't.

Also to add to why 2gb is like bare minimum... Fresh boot with memory cleaned and nothing open uses 1.9gb.

you would need android I guess?? look into the moto G phones, or some of this year's nokia phones for good cheap options
phone cases may or may not be good depending on wether you drop everything all the time and/or your phone is made entirely of glass

V30 apparently has very good audio, not too sure about the battery. could check out the V20 as well

note 8 seems a bit to excessive to me, I'd look into the S8+ which is essentially the same just slightly smaller

My gf's HTC One m8 is getting real slow. I think its mostly all the fucking bloatware HTC shits onto it. What can I do to improve general usage and responsiveness beyond just clearing out files/space?

Just upgraded my redmi note 4 to miui 9. The android version is still 7.0. Am i missing something? I think it should be 7.1.

I think Im going to take the gamble and get the razer phone.

I love the design, reminds me of my old sony, speakers seem god, components seem great

is there anything too terrible about it aside from the not headphone jack and waterproofing?

There's a 75$ Motorola G5+ about 20 minutes away from me but they're out of stock. Is there a way to lock in the price for when its back in stock?

Is the ZTE Blade Z Max good

Pixel 2 XL

How come my lg g6 doesn't have the app pin option? Not the screen pin where you lock it but the app pin where you can't accidentally swipe and close it. Can't find it in my settings and googling it doesn't help

Anyone buy a phone during Black Friday (or more likely, Cyber Monday) ?

any phones with a good screen, good speakers , stock android, a physical button on the front , a headphone jack, a microsdcard slot and at least 32 gigs of space ?

Best phones for under $400 that work on Att?

is there any advantage other then a bigger screen to the g5s+ as opposed to a g5+?

Thanks for that.

I did all of those things and it was behaving as described. I guess I will just have to get a device with more RAM next time. I might also try MIUI9.

That's quite a shitty battery life you have there, senpai.

After watching some reviews, it seems like a solid choice

How does a Honor 6X compare to a iPhone 6?
Speed wise and camera wise

A new battery might help.

I don't know about speakers - doubt it, but Mi A1 pretty much fits the bill.

I would also like to know.

Mi A1

is there is anything like it, please give me a list of some must-have apps
I've just upgraded to S8 from an old smartphone which I've barely used because of how slow it was, and the sheer number of apps to choose from is a bit confusing

I need cheapish phone with a good battery and (not necessarily) a double sim option.

I was looking at the original moto Z force but it's kinda old now.

Any recommendations?

Budget around 300€

my friends bought redmi note 4s on 11.11 for some 150 US Dorra and they can get inside the EU without any import tax or VAT so consider buying a note4(or note 5), using it for 1 year adn then selling it and buying a new one

is the Xiaomi mi note 2 still a viable choice? i can get one for 300$ of gearbest

I recently got a car with bluetooth integration and would like to connect my Redmeme Note 3 to it, but I'm scared of the Blueborne exploit. Is it fixed in any custom ROMs?

iPhone SE

or samsung A5 or A7

It's a great phone for $300. Is that for the international edition?

My Nexus 5 is 3 months short of its 4th anniversary. An S6 should last longer than that.

tfw my N5 is 3y3m old
What a great fucking phone man, looking for a replacement...
Oneplus 5T looks nice but I feel their life cycle is TOO SHORT!
LG G7 maybe if its with the SD845?
Some dumb chink phone that will last me a year but will cost about USD180?
There are many hard choices ahead for N5 owners

Hi guys

yeah, for the international version, it's "only" the 4gb/64gb version though. but i think the 4gb of RAM should be enough and 64gb is enough for my storage needs

Watch the gsmarena review, the phone is shit..
Was so hyped aswell for this phone.
I wanted one too, nut now il just get the op5t

You guys are lucky to have bought the n5, i had the n5x and it bootlooped after a year

I thought the international version was only available as 6gb/128gb? As in the version with like 40 LTE bands instead of like 5.

Bls resbond

Bought my mom a new Lenovo Vibe S1 Lite for 49$, did I fuck up?

The phone is less than a year old

Will be upgrading from my htc one m7 soon-ish. Want to get the zte axon 7 cause money's tight and I value audio experience over basically anything a phone has to offer. Is it a good choice or are there better alternatives?

Yeah, with the requirements you set the X4 is an great choice.

What theme is that?

It's called UFORIA [DD]

My dad wants a cheap smartphone for christmas, mostly just for GPS. Is there any decent idiot proof chinkphones I can get for around $70? if not then what's a good used phone I can get for around the same price?

I've only used smartphones sporadically. Is it true that rooting an Android will increase the likelihood of bricking the phone, reducing its performance speed, and increasing the chance of malware vulnerability? I want to root it for adblock. Are Android antiviruses useful? Thank you in advance.

Bruhs, help me make a quick decision because otherwise I'll just spend 6 months researching.

I need a cheap phone (~150€) with a good screen and battery life, possibly by non-shit, non-obscure brands (e.g. Samsung, LG, Motorola are fine). It will act as second phone along an S7 edge.

I need help with a phone accessory, seemed like the right place to ask. After recently attending a concert I realized that for all the great video/photo quality I get with this phone, my audio pickup sucked. Granted it's an EDM bass heavy concert but I'm looking for an external mic solution for videos now. Specifically concerts. Bigger issue is I also don't even have a 3.5mm jack either. Ideas?

Just bear in mind with Brickseek that Walmart's inventory is horrible.

The general rule of thumb is, if Brickseek says there are 2 or more, when the inventory was last updated they should at least have one.

If it says 1 though - it's a total roll of the dice. About 80% of the time walmart clears shit out, Brickseek lists one, I go to the store and there are none on the shelf.

Guys I want to switch to android from my iPhone 6S

Can you recommend something of equal quality, especially camera?