/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/11653109-the-0-ohm-headphone-amplifier
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is the second best headphone behind the MA900?

>baits the thread for shitposting
Great start.

advice me on ~$100 earphones/buds

No bait, of course. Only the truth

I never realized how little you people mean in life. You're all meaningless garbage that will spend the vast majority of your lives doing nothing.

zmf atticus

also this beer is worth more than the tascam I just bought. if it's shit I'm gutting it

Dude that Tascam is gonna blow those ZMFs outta the water, trust me.

and if you're wrong it gets the knife

If I'm right I dare you to gut the ZMF.

nah, no way I would do that to one of zach's headphones

Fill out the form in the OP. If you don't want to then the general recommendation is Etymotic MK5 or HF5.
Who upset you?

do these tunnel into your skull or something?

Been thinking of getting a pair of used HD800 to do the "SuperDupont" mod on them.
For one, it would be cheaper than the HD800S and will also make them sound more "stable".

Thoughts?

EQ achieves the same thing and is exactly what it is designed to do. pair it with a tube like the bottlehead crack and you'll give it harmonic distortion like the HD800S has

sbaf is an audio cult

which headphone is this? it looks like a cheapo chinese ma900

Those are Steelseries Siberia ###

It comes with eartips.
HD800 + EQ. Ignore the Bottlehead Crack amp advice. It's a high output impedance amp, thus making it shit.
Steelseries gaming headset.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600 desu wa?

Late again, user. Not that you would have been correcto if you weren't
Which are poorly sealed MA900s btw

MA900 is inherently poorly sealed anyway - which explains its lack of sub-bass.

>It's a high output impedance amp, thus making it shit.
explain why it is shit when the hd800 is 300ohm

Case in point. Nothing comes even close

>all this MA900 shilling even though they are irrelevant as they're no longer sold.

benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/11653109-the-0-ohm-headphone-amplifier

>Shilling
Silly user, we aren't trying to sell anything; simply a friendly reminder.

You're right, you're trying to justify your purchase of shitty headphones.

You mean you're jerking yourselves off.

No one gives a fuck about headphones that no one else can buy.

yes, damping factor. 1/8 rule of thumb... ring any bells? hd800 is 300ohm. explain to me how a high impedance OTL is bad for an hd800 when it is 300ohm

120 x 8 = ?

They're still sold. You sound like you're poor.

Then why are you so irritated, user? Where did the MA900s touch your headphones?

are you too autistic to understand "rule of thumb"? it's a guideline for engineers when making solid state designs.

who else here is now nervously waiting for their chink shit after 11.11 ? admit it.

i have high expectation for these

the 1k etch pierced my eardrum

maki user is treble sensitive and said it was one of the first / first headphones that didn't hurt his ears. you're full of shit as usual user. why don't you relax?

At least you admitted to not owning headphones

sure he's a special snowflake

those are averages based on a sample size

don't bother, most people here don't actually understand why output impedence is important and in what situations.

Crack would be a fine amp for the hd800. Go for the speedball upgrade.

neither do you

no I do, the 1/8th rule of thumb applies to solid state designs and even then it's totally dependent on what load it's driving. The impedence swings of the headphone itself matter just as much as the output impedence.

For example, most planar magnetic headphones have a flat impedence, so as long as the output impedence of the amplifier isn't above the impedence of the headphone it won't matter, the voltage won't change. As long as impedence swings in dynamic headphones don't exceed the output impedence, the voltage won't change.

Output impedence matters most in situations where there are big impedence changes with sensitive headphones. Such as with certain IEMs with BA drivers, where if the crossover doesn't keep the impedence level the amp will have issues driving them properly with a high output impedence.

do you find that noise cancellation is less necessary with earbuds compared to headphones (if you're even considering noise cancellation for a noisy environment like I am)?

dipole, stop ruining the narrative and being a party pooper

So have you guys ordered your pair of Tascam TH-02 s yet?

you'd think if it was that amazing more than 0 people would post pictures of their tascam

Got a pair in the mail, will review them in a few days/week when they get here.

atticus user here, same

This is more redpilled

Eww, gross. I don't like sticking things in my ears, no way I'm going to give away my ear virginity.

>Radians 430-EHP
where are the measurements friendo

It's cleararmor earpro senpai

I hope you enjoy your upgrade, user.

I didn't even like my lcd-2

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

The propagation delay of sound limits ANC to low frequencies. ANC is specialized at attenuating low frequencies and leaves higher frequencies to passive methods.
The only way an IEM can approach ANC bass attenuation is with a second bend fit, at the bony portion of the ear canal. This is to mitigate the occlusion effect that would significantly amplify low frequency sounds.

Of course, the earpiece would also need to be closed up tightly.

rec me a decent dap

Just ordered my hd600s and a fulla2 as my first dacamp
Someone make fun of me

the expensive part is yet to come, just wait until you start buying idol figurines

is there a figurine of hana sitting on a toilet?

>hd600
alright
>shit fulla2
oh shit

you fucked up

>The Plebbit setup

I'm already excited
I hope so
Perfect. Jokes aside I just needed something entry level and the monoprice and fiio offerings didn't appeal to me.

you just reached endgame, well done

The perfect joke

Post your setup

After you

>HD600
my nigga
>Schiit
kill yourself immediately
HD650 is the redditors choice

>kill yourself immediately
you're right, he should get a crack

I'm the 600/fulla on the way guy.
Right now 558s through s7.
What amp dac you sporting senpai

Looking for a Bluetooth headset with 20 hours or more playback with circumaural, closed or semi-open design. As I understand aptX is the only viable way to go. Budget is as far below 200$ as possible but willing to go to 250$ if I find the holy grail.
Suggestions are welcome, I'm currently looking at a Sony XB950B1.

But I need to understand aptX first.
What I know is that both devices in the communication need to support it, if only one does, it defaults so functioning without the codex. What I don't quite understand is if it's hardware or software; Windows 10 supports aptX, the headphones support aptX, does that mean the BT adapter needs to support aptX or does it just need to be BT 3.0 or later and Windows handles the rest?

you should crack your skull
onboard sound my nigga, i ain't one of those dac/amp cucks

Then why did you reply to yourself?

My HD600s are aging and I need to replace the earpads. Where can I find genuine replacements? Or am I better off going with some 3rd party pads? I'm open to foam, leather, whatever, as long as its compatible with hd600s and comfy.

dekoni

>Budget
$500 and under I guess.
>Location
USA.
>Source
O2 amp.
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed.
>Comfort level
IMPORTANT. MUST BE COMFY.
>Sound signature
I prefer a neutral signature but I know closed backs are not quite neutral in general.
>Past headphones
Some examples: HD600, LCD-2, K702, HE400S, HD800, DT770, DT990, M50. I do not own any headphones at present. I have sold them since buying quality speakers.

I absolutely hate velour earpads. They collect dead skin and dust too easily, not to mention they don't last very long in my experience. I have no idea to start with quality closed backs. Maybe Fostex?

>I have sold them since buying quality speakers
Based

That depends, is Sennheiser selling HD660S pads yet?

TH-X00 Ebony

Dumb speakervirgins

>TH-X00 Ebony
I had a Denon D2000 which I sold many years ago and I regretted it because it was my favorite closed back headphone but at the time I thought it was shit compared to the majority of open backed headphones that I owned. Anyway, this quite reminds me of the D2000 and if I'm not mistaken the frequency response seems a bit similar? I'm looking to buy something that will last for years. I remember the D2000s having some design flaw, the unit which I sold has broken according to the owner several years later after purchase.

Only got one good recommendation, so reposting.

>Budget
$400
>Location
US
>Source
PC (and cell phone)

>Type of headphone
Full sized over ear, preferably wireless. Bonus if noise canceling. Double bonus if they come with a headset.

>Comfort level
I'll sacrifice some comfort for great quality, but one problem is that I have a rather large head.

>Past headphones
The PC Afterglow ones (don't remember the name, they were $100)
Sennheiser RS160
Lucid Sound LS150 (current)

I mainly use my headphones for PC gaming and listening to music on my phone. A microphone isn't a must, but it'd be a nice bonus. As would it be a bonus for them to be noise cancelling. Preferably wireless. Bose QC 35 and ATH MSR7 were the only two solid suggestions I've gotten so far. Former irks me with Bluetooth only, latter has received some poor comfort reviews (both still up for consideration).

Should I buy a fiio m3 for $45 or is there a better option for same price

Also
What is a DAC or amp or whatever

Should I get one?

>Should I get one?
no

sony mdrv6 or marshall major II's

>over ear vs on ear
>are you retarded?
yes they cost about the same what do

the sony doesnt have as boomy bass but its cleaner and you can feel a thud on your ears if its heavy

both are shit senpai

My setup is the one where you're my boyfriend.

what do you mean

post pics of programming socks so we can know that you have a credible opinion

The v6 are better, I've heard pretty much all Marshall headphones are awful.

superseded by more recent headphones. there's a lot of budget gear to consider that are better. the CAL! is an open back with a fostex driver (similar to $300+ headphones). SHP9500 and HD598 are the budget kings for open back for ~$50 and ~$99

both the sony and the marshalls are closed back you open back fanboy

sounds like you just want to spend $45.
no

CAL! is closed ($50) and the tascam ($20) is also closed. there's a lot, and I mean a lot, of budget gear that poops on the mdr7506/v6.

>at the bony portion of the ear canal
Oof, seems like a risk if you're concerned about comfort with IEMs.

CAL is closed anyways.

indeed, typo

too late i got both