/wt/ - Polar Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=BsZoAD4PnWA

youtube.com/watch?v=RRAHpgAbMmU

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/XvLhJamAjAs
youtu.be/RUs1gUUnBws
forum.replica-watch.info/threads/fixing-misaligned-bezel-noob-crpo.369258/
forum.replica-watch.info/threads/omega-seamaster-pro-bezel-insert-misalignment.340162/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reminder that the SEIKO BRAND SEIKO G757 is the greatest watch ever made and it can be yours for pocket lint and four capacitors from alibaba.

All Exploerer II's just retarded little brothers of GMT Master's

What does the G757 have over the SBPG001?

>It's another broke fag tells people how to be responsible with money episode!

Stop pretending like $5000 is a lot of money then talk to me about financial advisers and investments.

This guy gets it. Not everyone is a fucking poorfag before they turn 40.

Looks
Fame
Notable users (A fictional spy and a fictional operator)
Snazzy seconds display

meme watch
i'd rather take the 20 casio desu

>polar

Remember to not spend any of your money until you have one foot in your grave already and your grandchildren have their retirement account stuffed.
Watches are for fantasizing only, not for buying!

Wow it's like i'm really on /o/!

youtu.be/XvLhJamAjAs

This episode of Talking Watches with Jean-Claude Biver really goes to show you the pure weapons grade cynicism behind all of his decisions at all the watch companies he's been involved with. When you look at what go collects vs. the kind of watchmaking he has advanced in the industry it's pretty obvious his decisions in the industry have been motivated by pure cynicism rather than just horrible taste.

Yeah the II is this weird abortion of a watch that doesn't really make sense. Why have the GMT hand when the bezel doesn't rotate, and why would an "explorer" need a GMT watch that doesn't have a rotating GMT bezel?

>The Virgin Alpinist vs The Chad GMT Master

Stop posting the quotes of a known pedophile, rapist and Russian spy pls.

Nice tourist trash

Hey, for anyone interested in Zenith's new silicon oscillator movement, I just stumbled across a good video showing a slow motion capture of it in action: youtu.be/RUs1gUUnBws

I am very interested in the final application of it. I really want to see how it develops for them.

Zenith has claimed they intend to role out the new ZO 342 movement across multiple regular production models, which leads to the hope it will eventually be put in something that isn't utterly ghastly.

its either going to be fairly revolutionary if they can lower the cost and mass produce it, or it'll become another zenith meme watch like all of their other "innovations"

Let's make this a superior Japanese horology thread instead.

Shut the fuck up.

I was the first to introduce the technology to /wt/ (before the official introduction). I had no idea it would be received with so much hostility.

that looks like shit

>japanese horology
>post the worst made seiko meme watch
come on man. You could have posted countless Good vintage GS or lord seikos that are amazing, but you chose a fuckin alpamist. Nasty as fuck.

I can't be the only one who thinks shark mesh looks weird as hell when it's not on a dive watch. Anything that's not a diver should be on Milanese mesh, not thicker shark mesh styles.

The movement is fine just the meme open dials are what I don't like. I even like the meme airated metal case which a lot hated.
They obviously want to show off their movement and thats fine but how do you effectively show off the top plate of the movement tastefully? Fucked if I know.

Damn that's pretty fucking impressive when you consider that he's not a professionally trained watchsmith.

>had no idea it would be received with so much hostility.
I don't recall anyone being hostile about the movement, everyone just literally every design created by Zenith since the quartz revolution and we are all impatient for that movement to be put in a watch design that doesn't make us want to projectile vomit.

>3 shades of fake gold
>3 font sizes.
>random cursive text
>BOLD WHITE ON GREEN
>puke green dial
>shark mesh on a field watch
>hand style doesnt match arabic numerals.
>crowns dont match case design
>good movement but overpriced because people want GREEEEN
Honestly the alpanist triggers my autism more than any other watch. It's truely the "/r/watches" favorite watch for a reason... even more so than the Thick-odate.
Is he just a genius or something? One of my favorite"micro brands" by far. Some of the designs are a bit gaudy but thats what sells i guess.

I still enjoy the conspiracy theory Joe from Seiko Miami told me that Asaoka made the citizen tourbillon

How much are the regular production models going to cost?

Around 7-8k if I'm not mistaken.

Well it's actually a pretty wide spread rumor because there were some leaked things a while back or something along those lines.
IDK if he actually had anything to do with it but he probably worked on something of Citizens and that one looks very similar to the turb he did.

i forgot to add, but the supercompressor compass design is actually quite neat, but that watch is just too ugly.

You could have at least posted the 4s15 Alpinist if you wanted it to have some horological value.

>0.5s per 48 hours
>Extremely precise

Don't forget that putting it on a mesh ruins the only thing going for it, and that's the "90s law office" aesthetic.
Like the only reason I like the thing is because it makes me think of a green banker's lamp on a walnut desk in an office surrounded by walnut bookshelves.

Apparently people were putting them on 1970s tonneau cased Speedmasters in-period and I don't think the combination looks too bad, but in general I agree with you.

That's pretty comparable to quartz accuracy, just saiyan.

I get the tonneau Speedmaster because it's pretty much a Baby Ploprof with a chronograph dial at that point.

You summed up my thoughts on the alpinist well.

>MOST ACCURATE MOVEMENT EVER!!!
>conviently forgets about spring drives being just as accurate
I love the snobby swiss morons that think they can just keep on raising prices and not be challenged. So stupid.

fuck meant to reply to Your alpinist looks retarded on mesh

Spring Drive is obviously not a mechanical movement, which the ZO 342 is. You are comparing apples and oranges.

That's pretty ugly, I like my green Alpinist more.
That's just a pic I saved from some other user. Mine is on a leather nato.

We alpinist now?

>That's pretty ugly, I like my green Alpinist more.
It may not be to your taste but it has a massively better movement.

I believe it

TSA agents are massive assholes with authority complexes and entitlement. I've never met one who wasn't a complete dick. Never take your eyes of your items while they're "inspecting it"

it looks like a fucking pimple that's about to burst too narrow yet protruding up top

"Financial advisor" here
Don't buy an expensive watch until you're out of debt (except maybe the house).

But you don't have to wait until you're 40, money is made to be used and enjoyed. Save up right with a decent job and you can be done with student loans and car stuff in a few years.

can someone please explain to me why they think the appanist looks good? IMO it looks like it was designed by a 10 year old...

I don't know shit about movements. 6R15 is pretty good from what I can tell. Does the higher beat of 4S15 make so much difference?

You're not going to get a diver that much thinner than that. Just accept that you want some quartz sports watch or something.

threadly reminder that IWC is an esteemed and tasteful luxury watchmaker

The 4s15 is a direct descendent of the Seiko 52xx series movement designed from the ground up in the early 1970s to be a chronometer grade automatic movement. It was Seikos direct competitor to the ETA 2892-A2 and is on a totally different level as far as inherent accuracy and technical specification than the 6r15.

>TFW (You) spend JLC money on a Valjoux 7750 in an oversized, colorful case.

It is harder to service a 4s15 nowadays compared to a 6r15 though right?

XSXX only goes on credor now

It shouldn't be, as Credor still uses 4Sxx derrivatives so parts should still be available.

Sounds amazing and all but like
said, I would imagine it's harder to service that now.

Thank you Richemont SA. You are my greatest ally.

Why did Seiko downgrade from movements like the hi beat and 4s15 on midrange watches to 6r15 anyway?

lol $45k credor

or a $45k Philippe DuFour Simplicity....

(DuFour taught Seiko about finishes).

Why else do you think? To save money.
It's the same reason why Omega outsources 40% of their watches overseas, or why a bunch of Richemont Group watches use off the shelf ETAs.

Because they believed that the majority of mid-range mechanical watch buyers would place a higher value on external finishing than on the technical merits of movements, and the 6R15 would allow them to spend more on the external finishing of watch while hitting the same price brackets.

They saw the 6R15 as a good enough solution that delivered worn accuracy comparable to low grade Swiss movements commonly used in mid-range watches.

Is the Seamaster THE watch for young people?

Also Seamaster quartz ain't bad, Right?

>Is the Seamaster THE watch for young people?
What does that even mean?

But I thought Seiko was to be the one to save us from the Jewish business practices of the swiss? Is vostok the only honest watchmaker left who will not downgrade?

No.
No.

If you look at Seiko's SARX or Brightz line-ups, Seiko is having those cases and bracelets made by the same division as those that do Grand Seiko's, though obviously without the tin polishing. No one else is offering that kind of external finishing at a sub $750 pricepoint.

this is clearly bait, but there are actually people who believe this.
Vitgane seamasters are the shit. New ones are overpriced and filled with manufacturer errors. Not worth imo.

You don't seem to understand. Seiko didn't do it to increase their profit margins, but rather to be able to spend more on external finishing on a given model without reducing margins. You might not agree with their reasoning but I don't think it's particularly dishonest or greedy.

>yfw the dial and hands have the same level of quality as an SKX
I was looking into getting one but will pass.

High beat movements break down much faster and are not really worth it when it comes to the accuracy upgrade. They shifted from spending more on movements to areas where it would be better used, like case finishing and higher quality bracelets. Their "leather" straps are pure shit but other than that they have improved immensely since changing up their style.

Well what I meant is that it's a very good entry level watch.

Anyways, shouldn't the lume be blueish on the Seamaster? This pic is the same watch as the previous pic. The watch was bought around 2010 I believe. It's a quartz. Not my watch by the way.

Vostok are getting to be greedy cunters. Selling amphibias for $160 just because they are in a different shaped case.

SEAMASTERS are the best watch around guys. Modern omega is better than modern rolex. FACT. dont @ me.

That's because they increased quality by outsourcing to chinks

Here it is again. It looks a bit wonky doesn't it? Is that just because of new omega or is this a fake watch?

Seiko pulls the same bullshit that the Swiss do, and sometimes even worse because the Japanese have looser criteria for "Made in Japan".
Vostok can't downgrade because the Amphibia was already downgraded as far as possible when it was conceived. The only way they could go any lower would to be if they outsourced the entire process to Asia and even then they probably wouldn't save that much.

>4S15 Alpinist has the same level of finishing as a 6R15 Alpinist
wew

The Neptune was always sold for more than the rest of the Alphibias if I can remember. Some bullshit about them being held to a higher standard or something.
Remember a couple of years back when people were paying $200-$300 for Soviet era Neptunes?

Before anyone falls for this bait
>reverse image search
>it's a rep watch
>forum.replica-watch.info/threads/fixing-misaligned-bezel-noob-crpo.369258/
You already got btfo last thread. This is just getting embarrassing.

this.

Then why don't they use lower beat on gs and credor?

>Autists that fell asleep during geometry class

>forum.replica-watch.info/threads/omega-seamaster-pro-bezel-insert-misalignment.340162/

Theyre fakes retard. Its a joke because Omega is known for their poor quality control.

I bought this watch 23 minutes ago.

because those are far more expensive watches that they cna use more expensive parts on..... Fuckin seriously?
>why are the more expensive ones better than???

>IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO xDDD
>I WAS JUST JOKING
kys

Why did you go from
>higher beat isn't worth it
To:
>higher beat is better

Sorry for your loss man.

swatch males OUT

Jesus christ. Omegas are bad (pic related) but i chose bad fakes as a joke. You know you can image search specific websites right? It's for EFFECT. If i post a "Relax" watch, would you call me out too?

Idiots like you make this place no fun anymore.

It was the greatest practical joke in human history.

I didn't change my stance at all. Higher beat is better factually, but on lower priced watches the money is just better spent elsewhere, like on the case finishing or bracelet clasps. I'm not saying the 4r's should be in grand seikos or anything, just that theres no point in putting all the money into higher beat movements with cheaper parts in cheaper cases.

>Why does replacing almost every part with better ones cost more than a standard Amphibian
Shit man, I don't know.
>I paid $86
Lel.

>still posting ancient barely legible ads

I see this autismo hater is back