Mint Linux

Time for a system restore and I was thinking about getting away from the Windows jew and trying a new OS. With no prior experience with any Linux platform, how is Mint Linux?
>inb4 noob

It's perfect working out of the box on virtually every possible machine.

As far as an educational tool, is it worth anything or is it just some plug and play-like alternative OS good for nothing but web browsing and downloading music and movies?
I'd like to learn the script but the entire OS looks GUI oriented and doesn't look like you'd get to use that CLI too often.

>inb4 noob
but that's what Linux mint is for, it's designed with ease of use in mind. LM it's supposed to be the "it just werkz" of linux

>doesn't look like you'd get to use that CLI too often
you can use CLI as often as you want. you're not forced to use the gui, though you could fallback to it whenever you want to. that being said, Mint's repositories are ancient and lacking, meaning all the programs the cool kids use won't be there. even still, you could use PPA's where applicable, and also you can learn to compile from source when necessary. so yeah, you can learn the cli with mint.

It's great and beginner friendly. Get your feet wet with this distro and if you want more you can hop once you're comfortable.

>Mint's repositories are ancient and lacking
I use Mint and this is a pretty fucking big problem. I'd switch to something else if I wasn't so lazy.

>windows user
>no Linux experience
Install ZorinOS Lite, install and enable Compton.

>checkd
Its a start. No sense in jumping straight into a distro like slackware right away. I royally fucked up my computer a few years back trying to run some version of TAILS because i had no idea what i was doing. Not trying to make that same mistake.
Work has me training on Linux right now, vaguely. Although theres no real reason to know how to operate a Linux network, i think it could help a lot I the field. At least separate my from half of the other dipshits i work with.

Not mine. My lenovo yoga has wireless card driver issues.

Disable it and buy a cheap wireless adapter.

Ubuntu Mate is a better 'starter' Linux than Mint. It's just as easy to use, works just as well out of the box, and has better security, newer packages, and won't break if you use the command line for package management. Ubuntu is used for a large number of servers on the internet, while Mint is not secure or stable enough for that. Once you feel comfortable with Ubuntu, you can jump up a notch to Debian and feel right at home.

Do you need to configure for your specific hardware or does it automatically detect?

>works just as well out of the box
>Unity/Gnome
Just fuck me up

Mint is pretty good. I highly reccomend solus though. Looks great out of the box and is easily the most stable distro ive in a long time. Shit just works no matter the hardware.

Xubuntu or Kubuntu

everything else he said is right

>Mate
good luck with the screen tearing

Peppermint Linux is better

Linux Mint is great.

Linux Mint can do exactly like any other Linux.

Just fucking use ubuntu

Linux mint has old software and the UI is basically a Windows clone

i'd stay away from debian based distros if i were you pclinuxos, fedora or opensuse are great alternatives

Mint is pretty good if you are ok with old software versions and prefer stability.
It's the distro you install on your mom's pc after you get tired of repairing her Windows installation.

Also better for beginners because it has wider community than the meme distros mentioned above.
Not good if you want to play around with the system.

KDE bugs are not really beginner friendly

>the UI is basically a Windows clone
Why is that a bad thing?

It's not without its share of problems, but if you're just looking for a distro that looks and feels exactly like Windows while you learn the ropes of Linux, it's a great starting place right out of the box.

First of all you bought a lenovo yoga.

I only have 2 USB ports!

There is a workaround where I have to black list the default driver and compile one somewhere.

But the onboard one only does wireless G at 2.4ghz anyway so I might actually get a USB adapter.

Bought it for the IPS screen, and light weight. And it was refurbished and costed less than $500

I'll be building a new PC in the next couple days and was planning on installing Xubuntu. Yes this thread is about Mint but I have a beginner level question.

First, will I have more access to up to date software with Xubuntu than Mint?

Second, when people talk about Linux it seems like you have to do more stuff in the command line. I believe I am comfortable with the CLI right now, using it for git, moving around, deleting stuff, running programs. But how what is the additional stuff you need to do in the CLI in Linux? Downloading software?

it just works
my laptop os at home

Mint Cinnamon or Xubuntu are the only two distros I would recommend to anybody, regardless of how 'tech literate' they are

disregard manjaro/antergos or any other complete "user friendly" distro that isn't based on Ubuntu

And it does just werk, im using it right now. Honestly, the perception that Mint and Ubuntu are for noobs is so laughable and petty. I've tried a bunch of other distros and it's not like you're gaining a ton of customizability or cutting edge experimental hardware support with a more "elite" distro. Most of the time it's just stupid half-baked shit like only being able to change some setting by editing a long text file instead of also having a GUI for it. Bonus elitist points if the distro only provides a commandline text editor!

this. mint actually comes with a shitload of useful as fuck programs that Sup Forums would call "bloat". like their graphical usb formatter and image writer. it's hands down the BEST distro to keep a dvd or thumb drive handy even if you don't main linux. out of the box mint shits on 99 percent of gentoomen or archfags "customized" installations if you disregard faggot "ricing" where you pick out shitty looking fonts and ridiculous TRS 80 Color Computer looking vaporwave DE's so they can pretend to be Matthew Broderick in war games, or Zero Cool from hackers getting in hacking fights with hot chicks while wearing sunglasses and gloves with the fingers cut off

I've been using it for a good 6 or 7 years now (before that I was on Ubuntu for a year, before that I was on Gentoo for about 5 years). I'm very happy with it.

Yes yes goy. Shill ubuntu for your amazon jew masters.

Its actually the smartest choice to use linux mint. Its user friendly, comfortable and in most cases it works OOTB.

Bundled with mate it will just werk. If you fall for the cinnamon meme expect crashes because it's generally unstable. When you realize you can't tolerate it anymore you will install mate and freak out how you will get extra copy of every utility under diffferent name. So better go for mate from the start and accustom to utility names. They are pretty much weird and never suggest actual purpose (like pluma or xed for text editors, caja for file explorer and such) which I consider an issue for inexperienced users, but at least it's stable.

>I was on Gentoo for about 5 years
how did you install gentoo on the booger smeared tablet your parents gave you to keep you quiet on car trips to the autism doctor

this
I'm a wegecuck devops at work doing all this linux shit all way
i don't want to deal with work at home, just want a browser to work, movies to play and wifi/hibernation work out of the box... mint does that

I would actually use ubuntu since there is no point in being once removed, but gnome3 makes me want to denounce tech all together

You mean the PC I bought for myself at uni (which I worked hard for), and the same distro that my flatmates at the time all used after my friend who was on the same CS course as them suggested we try it.

Also fuck you.

Deepin if you don't mind chinkshit, but Ubuntu is definitely the best choice for a first distro. It has GUI applications, but the CLI can be used for pretty much everything on the computer. I'd recommend Xubuntu, because it looks like Windows XP pretty much out of the box.

Stay with mint. Its like ubuntu... but better.

First of all it "just werks" just pick DE you like, donload iso, put on dvd/usb, install it and you are set. Archcucks are jelaous because while you have installed fully functional os with graphic interface, they fight with pacman to make it install base system.

Also mint has some aditionall tools (like driver manager, firewall gui, libre office, Iso to Usb tool) to make your life easier, archcucks will call it "bloat" because they are so "elite minimals".

MINT just becomes a new god of desktop distros while arch is still a "bleeding edgy toy"

forgot pic sry

it's good to get your feet wet

once you get familiar with it, you can explore other distros

what for?

Check out Panda wireless adapters. Get the one with the antenna for better range.

Is the default LinuxMint login screen supposed to look like garbage?

It’s easily changed in the settings.

I would say Mint Cinnamon or Kubuntu is the best option for somebody that if familiar with the Windows interface.

Antergos+Cinnamon (an option during the install) it's edgier, and equally easy.

I'm a Mint power user and have used it for about 2 years every day now. It's a very nice "everything just works" distro, but I do get annoyed sometimes because the packages are fucking ancient. I actually got laughed at at university for using some outdated version of a package, and that happened more than once.
If i wasn't a lazy asshole i would have switched to Ubuntu already. It's essentially the same thing, except with a different default desktop environment and more recently updated packages.
If you're lazy like me, just install Ubuntu right away so you don't get stuck using Mint for all eternity

I thought Mint used Ubuntu's repositories, so the same software is available and there's no advantage to going with straight Ubuntu unless you prefer their base package selection (I don't).

install antergos

Literally unusable.

Also, it's hilarious how convoluted the process is for drawing ellipses in gimp.

automatically for the most part

You need to use mintupgrade to go from one version of mint to the next in order to get the latest packages.

MDM looked better and was easier to use. They switched to LightDM without giving users the same features. It was step back.

Mint is a great first distro. They have really made sure everything works out of the box, like plugging a random printer and it's already the default printer the next time you click print on something. Videos work and MP3s work and everything.

When you install your first distro it's better if it doesn't give you any problems because you don't know what you're looking for when fixing just yet. Harder distros do less stuff automatically but are lighter and very customizable. At some point you might start showing interest on the deep end of the pool, or maybe you won't. I have now settled with Debian myself. It's not a gigantic leap from Mint but maybe try Mint at least a month or two to get your mind set for a different environment than Windows.