I got in time edition

I got in time edition.

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.
>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like the J1900 or J3455 chipped ones.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> FAQ & Tips Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xu4
wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/os_images
youtube.com/watch?v=uhZFzJx8AL4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>/HSG/ REEEEEEEE YOU DIDNT SPEND 20K ON A RACK SETUP EDITION

kek

>looks guis i posted it again xDDDDd

>63348129
No (you)s to this faggot.

Daily reminder that you're all poor as fuck

are people larping as me now? anyways stay poor anons

Don't flatter yourself you fucking paedo.

kys

get yourself 10gbe and then ill think about it

No need senpai

An SBC is cost effective, low power machine enough for personal server. Fuck the guy shilling vSphere.

>B-BUT YOU NEED 64 CORES AND 512GB OF RAM user WHAT ARE YOU POOR???????

>Intel integrated graphics is cost effective, low power machine enough for gaming
you eat too much soy

Who said anything about gaming or integrated graphics? Are you retarded?

This. At the very least its a good first guess for what a home server needs.

No, you do your high end gaming on another machine! Of course there are games that like to have a giant gpu. Its not something you usually want in a server, though... render farms and latest buttcoin variant fad excluded.

>i wish i had GPUs in my server so I could play pirated vidya while keeping that VM segregated from everything else

Do you run videogames in the same machine you serve ssh and other open ports?

On the same host

>serve ssh and other open ports?
wut? now you're just using terms you dont understand.

>all that hardware
>shitty camera
>cant even take a sharp picture
>hasn't got a full frame DSLR
kek

What other things you have in that machine?

>i wish i had something relevant to brag about
>the post

What's the matter poorfag? If you don't have 3k worth of camera equipment you shouldn't post here now get the fuck out with your grainy poorfag phone pictures.

This obsession with buffed hardware is just like web shit bloat. They kept adding layers upon layers of javascript without even asking if it was really necessary.

go be poor somewhere else

>look mom i bosded id agen ;DDDD

What distribution should I use for my new server? I’m thinking either Debian, Arch, or CentOS.

Matter of choice. Maybe Proxmox or such is something you want to have a look at, but you certainly can do debian, ubuntu, fedorea/centos/rhel, gentoo, arch and still get srs control with salt, ansible, ssh and a hundred console and web based UI and containers and virtualization.

I was thinking about using Proxmox, but I’ve heard it’s kind of shit. How is it compared to something like ESXi (free version)?

Is NIC bonding still broken in windows 10? Need moar bandwidth.

>proxmox
>esci

toddlers that afford anything

>how do i into english

wut

What is it trying to say?

Debian makes a comfy server for me.

Debian network installer works fine.

putting my swarm back together - getting there, soon be onto the fun stuff like openmpi and distcc

>openmpi
I know about distcc, which is a cool thing to distribute the load of compilation, but what is openmpi for?

> but I’ve heard it’s kind of shit.
Nah, it's pretty good.

> How is it compared to something like ESXi (free version)?
Better? No limits all over the place, plus it's not putting you on a proprietary stack that is overall quite "meh".

The components underneath are still just the usual Linux fare, and you can add in non-proxmox managed things or migrate away from it without that much trouble. +- like with salt or ansible.

Even if you want muh enterprise production stuff, XenServer is better than ESXi for a home setup, again no limits [even if its more closely tied to Xen, too].

> openmpi
Don't bother.

Akka and/or Spark burn the fuck out of OpenMPI - prettier code, faster and more flexible execution. Better integration with frameworks and cloud stacks, too.

fpbp

Also anyone know of a good arm board with high speed networking, good support, and onboard sata that isn't USB based?

ODroid HC1 / XU4 are decent.

> onboard sata that isn't USB based
This doesn't really matter if it's USB3(.1), particularly not with UAS.

Unless you're aiming at fiber / 10GB tier Ethernet, but maybe that's getting a bit difficult on ARM boards.

MPI = Message Passing Interface

Basically its a set of libraries and tools that handle the communications between nodes for parallel processing

Cool, I'll maybe look into them - messed with getting dockerized openpi running before, it worked (kinda) but not to my satisfaction, had to make a few kludges I wasnt happy with. Docker swarms DNS being a bit odd and a bit incomplete didnt help wither.

Thanks user. I heard xenyos can be a bit of a bitch with Linux but that was a while ago, had it changed?

I miss give a big thanks to the bixnood boy,you have given me a lot of laughs over the various editions of /hsg/.

Please, continue to post your setup as I enjoy your setup being consistently being ripped to shreds as you reply "poorfag".

>Cool, I'll maybe look into them
You should, Spark is basically the industry standard go-to thing now, and unlike OpenMPI almost everyone seems successful in using it quickly.

Though frankly even the less popular competitors to Spark tend to be easier and faster. [MPI is basically dead if you ask me.]

Xenyos? I'm assuming you mean the Samsung Exynos chipset? ... that has worked okay for years now and I don't recall it being particularly problematic. Basically, not even really sure what you're referring to.

Besides you'll probably generally use binary packages rather than compiling them, right?

PS: Not that you couldn't deploy Gentoo:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xu4

But I figure you'd start with Armbian or Ubuntu. Not that these are the only ones, incomplete shortlist is here:
wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/os_images/os_images

Figures that you'd probably just start with Debian / Armbian / Ubuntu, though.

Hey guys I'm looking for a good set of AP's since I have some Really Thick brick walls.
Long story short I have:
>Gigabit Network backbone
> 4 Houses Connected to my main 100-mbit Switch
>3 Shitty AP's that crash and burn like motherfuckers if anything connects after a certain range.

I need to replace to those 3 shitty AP's with 4 decent ones that have strong signal penetration on walls since the network is 100 mbit.
Since I have no intention of upgrading it to GBit speeds (Max out and Inc bandwith is 250 mbit/s current so) what sort of AP's should I get (keeping in mind I have around 300€, and I don't care if the equipment is used or not) that supports VLANs and has a switch included?

UniFi AP-LR

N class is better than AC in my experience, unless you are sat right near it.

Didn't read your whole post, they support VLANs but aren't managed by a switch. They are managed by software.

I suggest to just use Xiaomi WiFi3[g] ($30-40 each) and MiWifi repeater sticks ($5-8 each).

Cheap and stable and decent throughput.

One single repeater stick actually solved the issue completely for my uncle's 3 floor house with 3+ devices surfing and watching YT videos downstairs.

I work on a supercomputer every day and we use MPI. I'll not an expert on the infrastructure of this shit though, I'm just a scientist who uses it so idk if it's really dead or not

Of course, the repeaters only have 300Mbps maximum, but the 200-250Mbps or whatever you ultimately get in reality may be acceptable at individual points

The AP's are pretty decent at AC1200. Given that somewhere between AC1200 and AC1900 cards and sticks for the clients start to rapidly get more expensive, it's probably a cost efficient solution to get these.

Besides the fast 5Ghz band isn't the range efficient one, you presumably care more about the 150 or 300Mbit in the 2.4Ghz band.

Interesting, software support how? I setup up in the router and the AP's will handle it or?

Fuck that chinkshit I'm not including Xiamei cheapo shit in my network.
If it was one of their enterprise tier hardware sure but their backdoored repeaters are not acceptable.

Besides My network is +20 users after 3-5 connections those shits are going to have the same end result as my cheap AP's with custom firmware.

Sure, supercomputer projects got MPI running with a pretty big effort and for pretty homogeneous, specialized software developed / set up nearly from scratch (including data sources and what not), and of course with a hardware structure (network with basically no bottlenecks and computation nodes) that matches the programs that run.

It's just a whole circus of overly specialized overly sensitive structures, not flexible at all.

I'm going to guess you can't just start up 10 VMs with the databases + software that you like and run, say, 80 machines worth of processing power on a software you started developing in the first two days of this week...

>Fuck that chinkshit I'm not including Xiamei cheapo shit in my network.
You wanted it to be good and cheap. These are.

> If it was one of their enterprise tier hardware sure but their backdoored repeaters are not acceptable.
Because it's Chinese, it's especially backdoored?

As opposed to when it's a burger brand that has about 1000 provisions to allow collection of data and web interfaces that call home all the time, at which point it becomes safe, right? Also made in China, too. [Never mind China NEVER could get backdoors into these highly secured software production processes abroads, eh?].

>after 3-5 connections those shits are going to have the same end result as my cheap AP's with custom firmware
No. These are pretty good hardware, At the edges I guess 300Mbit on the repeater sticks may not necessarily be perfect, but they're already pretty powerful & the routers definitely are very powerful.

You download the control software on to a computer and adopt the access points. Make sure you remember the control centre password as if you decide to move the control centre to another machine you will need to adopt them using the old password.

You can of course factory reset them but who wants to do that.

I have a preset network, I don't need a router.
I don't need a switch and I have a cable backbone.

The clients have Wireless cards included.
I only need 2.4 ghz that supports a stable connection and that can pierce thick walls with ease.

You literally went over the line to put down the cheapest of their cheap of their consumer line and your defending it for a high end solution.

So wait I need to have a permanent device as a control center?

No, you can set it once and forget about it. If you want to make changes you will need to either turn on whatever device has the control centre. Could be a small VM or an old laptop whatever. Or recreate the control centre.

youtube.com/watch?v=uhZFzJx8AL4

>I only need 2.4 ghz that supports a stable connection and that can pierce thick walls with ease.
It's a 2.4ghz signal, apart from going to regulatory signal strength limits and dealing with it promptly and with all the usual bells and whistles and good antenna you can't do much else.

>You literally went over the line to put down the cheapest of their cheap of their consumer line
If you want you can pay me $120 extra per router / AP. It won't make your connection any better, but you can indulge in whatever ridiculous "premium" fantasies you may harbor.

Also, with how you complain about costs and brand names rather than any specific features, I'm going to guess a mini is probably more than you need, [because actually it too doesn't suck, it's just not a 128MB RAM / 128MB storage fat as fuck router]

How do I actually assign cores/threads to a VM under linux and virtualbox? If I assign 4 cores then the load on the host is still only 50% and if I assign 6-8 cores I start to get a performance penalty for some reason. I have a 4c/8t CPU btw.

The "cores" in VB are mapped to threads unless you disable hyperthreading, I think. Which you theoretically could try doing.

But if VB acts up, maybe just try qemu with KVM?

Ubuntu LTS Server.

>justifying your poorfaggotry

>i dont understand how SMT works
>i dont understand what CPU READY is

>justifying your poorfaggotry
It's already asinine enough that we went from
> network is 100 mbit.
> I have no intention of upgrading it to GBit speeds (Max out and Inc bandwith is 250 mbit/s current so)
to
> 1200AC router/repeater with optional 300MBit repeaters in less important places is probably too slow

and from
> I have around 300€, and I don't care if the equipment is used or not
to
> lel, this new equipment is too cheap

Well, I'm probably also less poor than you are, but that has fuck all to do with whether AP / repeaters will do their job anyhow.

>ask a question
>HURRDURR YOU DUN UNDERSTAND
Genius

Ignore him, we hope he'll go away.

you know i wont, i've been at this for years

>im too retarded to google
>plz spoon feed me anons

>and from
>> I have around 300€, and I don't care if the equipment is used or not
>to
>> lel, this new equipment is too cheap
You can still buy some Aironet 3602s with AC modules rather than some chinkshit Xiameis.

>durr i dont spoonfeed
>spoonfeed people about APs

To be completely honest I don't think he knows what a Network is besides the names and gimmicks.

And he has only used a small amount of hardware and is pulling is reasoning from that.

I however have used el-chinkos shit in some clients and I can say it's nothing but trouble.

Let me also remind you off this, it needs a companion app.
It doesn't support pre existing VLANs without getting it's SW Flashed.
And it doesn't have a propper switch.

If I wanted , and I really don't want at this point really cheap stuff I'd get another shit ton of Asus or Huwaei AP's.

How's the penetration on Aironet 3600 series? Documentation says "It might pierce walls if wall mounted".
That's what I'm mostly looking for AP's with strong signal strenght.

> I however have used el-chinkos shit in some clients and I can say it's nothing but trouble.
I've set the Xiaomis up in four houses not made from burger cardboard and they're fucking solid.

I'm going to guess your argument actually is "I've tried *something* Chinese and it's surely all the same" - full retard mode logic.

> Let me also remind you off this, it needs a companion app.
No for the APs, yes for the repeaters if you don't simply want to use the APs to configure them.

> It doesn't support pre existing VLANs without getting it's SW Flashed
I surmise you *exactly* did that to get VLANs in the first place, since it didn't sound like you had all Cisco enterprise site gear.

Apart from that, why even bother with VLAN. Need some placebo security?

> If I wanted , and I really don't want at this point really cheap stuff I'd get another shit ton of Asus or Huwaei AP's.
Some of these are good too, not that I think they'll help more with range.

And anyhow, it sounds like you're really unironically taking the retarded line of reasoning that all cheap gear is the same.

It is apparently the necessary conclusion after you somehow managed to choose APs that can barely handle 2-3 clients - surely nobody would have managed to make better choices? Except if they bought Cisco Aironet 3800, of course, they'd have that unfair quality advantage.

No nigger.
I have an internal firewall rules and VLANS setup to prevent people from fucking up with my hardware.

Not to mention I have CCTV, SMB and IPTV running on the network as standard services.

Not all cheap gear is the same, it's just that under the operating circumstances I have the "cheap gear" you're selecting is no better then one I already had implemented.

Besides you're assuming I had a choice in implementing anything in the network besides the backbone and the previously mentioned services.

Only now have I acquired the funds to implement a proper solution whatever AP's I have running now are an assortment of cheap crap I could acquire over the years as houses required them.

>why won't you spoon feed me user

>How's the penetration on Aironet 3600 series? Documentation says "It might pierce walls if wall mounted".
nigga its Cisco. Mine has been fine in a 2 bedroom apartment in a major city, even though the WLC says ~50% of the available spectrum is used by interference. Also you can get the E model with external antennas if you want to go full autismo.

>desperately trying to justify some literally who chinkshit

>doesn't understand why you would want things like VLANs
>doesn't understand what broadcast domains are
>doesn't understand what time slots are

> all cheap gear is the same.
it is unless its used enterprise class. You can get Cisco Aironet 3602s with AC modules for ~$50 on eBay. The virtual WLCs are licensed on the honor system so you get to use things like Clean Air.

The problem is that we have 10 CM thick brick walls in all directions.

Most of my signal loss comes from penetrating the walls I checked.

Getting the directional antenas might be a good ideia since the rooms go in all directions.
If anything I might just get some external modules and spread em across the rooms and outside.

>10 CM thick brick walls in all directions.
Interior walls?

Both Interior and exterior are as thick actually slightly thicker they are 12 cm or 5 inch.

Bingo. Placebo security it is.

Not even I have real confidence that I can stop vlan hopping because without extremely uncommon measures every fucking device and almost every protocol used in your network might enable it it.

And attacks that aren't really trying are already fully stopped by guest networking and your fw and passworded logins by the way.

And no, your devices aren't the same. At least you should hope that, because if they were equally good -which seems unlikely to me, all indicators just point to you pulling general concerns out of your ass- you probably simply would have no easy options other than to deploy *more* APs and fix the connection between them.

Alas, if you must get the same damn thing and a bonus placebo, go with the cisco.

Good luck, you can buy one off eBay and see what its like. Otherwise assuming you own the place I'd personally start drilling holes and run cable.

>I'm too retarded to not configure access ports as trunk ports
>I don't understand how layer 3 routing works

>desperately trying to justify some literally who chinkshit
... more like pointing out the boundless incompetence in the reasoning leading to its refusal.

> doesn't understand why you would want things like VLANs
I do, but you don't.

>doesn't understand what broadcast domains are
Look ma, I figured out how 2 isolate ports for my super secure private vlan!

But actually I'm doing it with WLAN, tagging those packages like a boss. Even better.

> doesn't understand what time slots are
> He thinks he needs a synchronized 802.1Q* network to do his fucking basic QoS for some IP camera or maybe for his supremely enterprise ESXi server.

Solaris or aix, everything else is trash

>I'm too retarded to not configure access ports as trunk ports
>I don't understand how layer 3 routing works
Yup, sure is placebo security.

The list of what actually needs to be configured and secured right to even secure VLAN against hopping is long, even more so in a multi AP multi switch / router network.

But hey, if placebo makes you happy, do it.

I find esxi much more comfy compared to anything else free/paid
Then again, I was probably shilled by it since I was using it for ages in work and got way too knowledgeable in it to switch to anything else

I have cable run through, problem is that no one wants to use cable anymore.
Ill grab one in any case

>Have signal problems under high load and wall citations
>Security Placebo problems

You're dumb son.

Also
>The list is so damn long

Nigger you do know what a implementation methodology is right?

You write down whatever the fuck you're deploying to the network, you check the ports, you by default CLOSE DOWN EVERY SINGLE PORT YOU DON'T USE BY DEFAULT.
Enable only the ports you need that you previously checked and reroute them through other ports.
Afterwards you setup isolation between subnets and then the rest is easy.

It's literally not that hard.

I'm thinking of finally setting up a proper home server, and I want to put arch on it since that's the distro I'm most experienced with. Should I, or not?

Yes, it is what you are accustomed and you already have the skills provided by Arch.

It works within their a pretty damn VMWare+partner specific ecosystem if you pay for it and the next product (vSphere) and the next product (vSAN) and maybe you should also get Site Recovery Manager and vRealize Network Insight, just in case something goes wrong and you don't want a lot of downtime...

Something like that. But of course you can grow into that ecosystem, get habits, and find it hard to exit... at least with your current staff.

I don't see any particular issue with it. Do Arch, sure.

>But actually I'm doing it with WLAN, tagging those packages like a boss. Even better.
Its not you need things like what Cisco calls P2P blocking for WLANs. but keep on lapping that you have the vaguest idea of what you're talking about.

>I still don't understand what time slots are

>still to incompetent to configure anything properly therefor everyone else must be too

>I have cable run through, problem is that no one wants to use cable anymore.
then you'll be fine, just add APs as needed

You can get a full rack for free on Craigslist, a Dell R710 is under $500, you can go worse/cheaper if you want as well.

yeah, i've found it to be pretty good. I originally planned on using esxi, but it didn't like the J1900 much, so went with xenserver - no complaints, it's been good and solid.

Page 7

You can actually pay 200 $ once (what I did) for the whole bundle, it is enough for even larger homelabs that plenty of people use (or depend on stuff running there)
loose subscription after a year (if something crashes you won't care why it did, just reboot/restart and continue running)

You mean the $200 that get you a one year license of much of the stack ... but limited to like 2 CPU / instances in total?

This is basically just getting you hooked and really doesn't give you the freedom to just do what you want - even at home. Can't even really scale horizontally at a home level.

>utorrent
you dont get to throw shit at anybody mongo

Did you put the title in the name and not the subject OP?

because OP is a retard more worried about his shitty pastern lists. he likes to larp that he has a server even though he can't even host a wiki.