/tpg/ Toilet Paper General

Previous Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Memes

cuz previous thread died:
what's the maximum RAM i can upgrade an x200 tablet to? I've found 3 different answers, 3, 4, and 8gb.

I have access to a machine shop and lots of copper. I’ll try to make a new/better heartsink for my T420 and it’s future I7-2670.
Any tips from any fellow user that failed at this task?

Reposting because dead thread.

I am pulling my hair out. I am trying to replace my old TN screen with a IPS, because it died. I figured the problem was in the LCD cable but after replacing both the screen AND the cable at the same time, still a no show. What the fuck else could it be? Old cable does not work with new screen either.

Shortened the LCD controller?
I have no idea desu

So, it is agreed upon that the retro edition isn't worth it? They're still in stock but they cost 1900 scheckles... might go up in value though? Good investment or save my money?

kill yourself

electronics never go up in value

the whole point is to buy these old models used for a few hundred bucks tops (including part upgrades) and run a bloat-free OS on them

I was about to reply to you
Either 4 or 8 depending on the cpu user

Wasn't there cables running to the copper?
I advise you first disassemble your working heatsink

You mean to the fan?
I’ll buy a new cooler/fan and replace the copper with thicker copper, if there is room, I think.

thanks! how can I tell which cpu can handles which? Can I upgrade the cpu?

On my T430 there's a wire sort of soldered on to the heatpipe
It might be the temperature probe but not sure
You should check your heatsink toi

I don't know I read it like that too
I'm guessing there probably was a 32 bit cpu for x200

I am assuming it's now a motherboard issue I'll have no idea how to fix.

In a minute boss, I have a job to do.

Alright. Will do. Thanks.

I have a space problem so I can't have a desktop and this isn't going to change for the next years. I'm using a t460p as a desktop replacement since day 1 of the t460p release but I miss having a proper graphics card.

What do?

Is eGPU an option?

I see none available for the ports of the t460p, but it would be definitely an option if one existed. Does one exist?

What thinkpad if I'm into 3D renders and video editing?

which thinkpads allow me to swap out the GPU?
I know some let you switch the CPU.

>T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
it's in the fucking op you dumb fuck kys

My clip zip from 2010 sells for $30 more used then what I paid new

>tfw I bought 50 x 8 GB DDR4 SO a year ago from wholesale

yeah yeah, sure

Sorry, you''re right. I cant see how that's an option for you. I'm thinking of T420 and T430 models. Do you need the GPU for gay men? Shouldn't the p suffix mean you already have a decent workstation?

Workstation capabilities are great. I use it as my working device, connected to a 4k screen with GNU/Linux and it's great. I can develop, compile, virtualize etc.

A week ago I installed Windows on another partition because a long time ago I wrote a win32 application for a client which relied on undocumented win98 functions which haven't been ported to Wine and I needed to do some changes to let it run on win10 for that client. So I had this Windows partition and decided to install some old games and this is when I found out that the igpu is crap. But it's not such a big deal, I will save money and probably get the t480p in 2018 with a proper GPU and sell this one by then, since the warranty is also going to be void.

okay lads, so i disassembled my T420, changed the thermal paste, reassembled it without any issue... until i noticed that my left click is "held" for some reason.
could it be that i connected the touchpad wrong to the motherboard?
what can i do to fix this? sorry for bad english

It may feel weird by why not consider a "downgrade" and grab a T430 and use an eGPU option that way? You can probably grab yourself a docking station too, all for the price of that T460p?

It isn't even much of a downgrade considering tech has progressed so slow. All you're really losing is battery life and the screen quality.

This doesn't help if you need portability however. Fuck carrying a graphics card everywhere you go.

I still have a T430 lying around. My upgrade path was T400 -> T430 -> T460P and I feel a huge difference especially when it comes to virtualization. I guess my only option is to live with it right now. I've never played video games and just thought it might be something fun to do in my free time since I had to buy a windows license anyway

W series
W520 probs

W510 has a mxm slot
After that the gpus are soldered on
The elitebook 8770w has a mxm slot though
I don't see anything about gpus you underachieving faggot

Thanks

Is $200 a good deal for an A grade t440p?

I'm looking for a fast ~13 inch notebook that can run a fuckton of VMs.

Of course I'm running Ganoo+Lunix so a thinkpad seemed like a perfect fit but I keep hearing that the newer models are bad and the recommended ones don't seem to have the specs I want.

So if the used older ones are no option for me, should I get a current one or look elsewhere? What's so bad about the new models?

kek I also bought dozens of red clits

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

That's pretty good
What specs?

>still waiting on my X220 to ship

I need notebook for under 200 and it needs to be able play youtube video and have 30 tabs opened in browser and also 20 in sublime text. Simultaneosly. And I don't want half minute lag when I turn on Atom.

x61

Some i5 and 4 gigs of ram, I'll be throwing in more ram anyway and an i7 later down the line

Go for it

8gb, but 2x4GB ddr2 is too expensive to justify it. Just buy an x220 at that point.

Post hoards.
>T60 14"
>x61t
>T410
>X220
>T430
>T530

What interface do you recommend.

Now I have 2gigs of ram and dual code @1.4
but when I have tabs opened or I do something in sublime it's lagging, and also when I try to use webpack with hotload that thing freezes.

That's with linux mint sonya

I tried recent lubuntu, but it crashed on just playing youtube videos, but maybe that's somehow from wrong driver or what, but it played me same buffer of sound over and over for minute so I had to restart it. Like 10 times a day so I switched back to mint, which is laggy, but it is still slow.

That iPad kinda ruined it and I hope you are a girl.

Doesn't work anyway, I really just got it for muh dac memes. Couldn't get the nigger to work with my sd adapter though, and fuck if I'm paying $50 for a 64GB cf card.

>I hope you are a girl.
I can be anything you want me to be ,';^)

omg I'm stealing that emoticon

Not him, but locally there is a T440p with an 15, 8gb, 160gb ssd OR 500gb hhd, 1600x900 screen for $180, so that would be a better deal? The palm rest is chipped off in the corner, which doesn't bother me as I would then do the T450 palmrest and keyboard swap.

Also, if there is no fingerprint scanner, can I add one when I do the palmrest swap?

iPad? I only see an iPod, but I would assume they are a girl based on the fruity shoes in the girly over the door organizer.

no idea i don't use lunix but on mine YT videos work fine even up to 1080p (1080p30 that is, 1080p60 makes it bleed frames), plenty of open tabs (30+) with firefox quantum beta and Photoshop works fine for casual usage

Tfw soic-8 chip but soic-16 clip
Still worked though.

That was me a few weeks ago but it was worth the wait

>no leg pics from cuties (male) yet
shit thread

>Literally had to bend my thinkpad to stop it from wobbling
yeah these things really are built like a tank

mine is :^)

Holy shit, just sold my t430 and switched to a X220 - what a crazy difference in a generation. I don’t care about the keyboard, but everything is just so much better made and put together.

The trackpoint alone is astounding. Why did Lenovo take such a crap on a fantastic product?

i want that sticker

>he didn't swap his xx30 keyboard to a xx20 keyboard

which sticker

that's the BIOS logo m8

the anime

Nope, I'm a guy. I'm just a faggot. No female owns thinkpads. They all want macbooks because they have the big nigger touchpads.

That's a bios logo my guy

It's not a sticker

The keyboard is fine. Moving from a modern laptop, even the chicklet is pretty good though.

I just mean the general body construction and small details like the different trackpoint.

If you change the keyboard, the trackpoint moves with it.

I will concede build quality went down.

>reccomending the last gen workstation for someone who needs the power

Are you fucking stupid? Get a W530, K2000 GPU and whatever high end QM/XM cpu you can find. Jesus Christ.

How can I recalibrate my T420's battery?
It rapidly falls from 100% to about 10% and then takes longer to go down after that.

Gonna try to do this with Kuroneko instead of aho, thanks for the idea

Yes goyim. Spend more money for lesser build quality for a 10% increase.

>Spend more money for lesser build quality

Its the exact same construction you retarded fuck, I said W5-THIRTY, not 40. They are identical in construction. More than a 10% increase in performance overall. Not that you have experience with either machine. These threads are always full of morons.

post pics

wut

2.5 years in and the down button on the keyboard is completely broken.

The rubber is no longer glued onto the keyboard and the plastic thing can no longer connect to itself since one of the pegs is broken.

Oh and the metal hooks that are part of the laptop, exactly one of them is bent enough that you cannot hook it in.

What do. Navigating the web w/out mouse and navigating documents that I’m typing in is absolutely horrid without he down key

Literally an image on the screen
I don't even know how else to explain this to you

Can you place T41 keyboard inside of any newer versions, like t420, or even t60? I love T41 styled keyboard. would love to salvage its keyboard at least

Replace keyboard and stop punching the keyboard the next time

Rec me a Dell in the ~$300-400 with good CPU/GPU

Are you literally retarded?

Anyone selling a x220 tablet for cheap without a HDD?

Hello, can a thinkpad t440s run recent strategy/simulation games such as Civilization 6, Cities Skylines, Europa Universalis 4, Total War Warhammer, etc

Will do 4u my senpai

>mfw I posted this picture ages ago on the Telegram group.

Noyce. Those are cat hairs, btw.

Join official telegram group:
t.me/ThinkpadGeneral

how

E B A Y
B
A
Y

What ssd do you guys recommend? How does the mSATA pairing with HDD work?

Samsung 850 Evo mSATA 250GB.

It should definitely be able to run EU4 just fine, not sure about the rest.

>What ssd do you guys recommend?
Anything that doesn't have bad reviews and fits your budget

>How does the mSATA pairing with HDD work?
you add an msata ssd and your hdd in the main drive bay (or a third one in the optical drive bay as well if T/W-series)

Yes goyim. Let the anger lead you to terrible decision making.

pick a logo from the booru in the OP and reflash your bios

W530 is basically a straight upgrade over W520, with no external difference after you swap the keyboard and much better specs on the inside
t. former W520 owner and current W530 owner

its all so clear now

/tpg/ was kill and I hate the generic image so I took it from there lol

gonna see about a t60 for 20 bucks later

wish me luck niggers

rip user

Are there any non-chinkshit alternatives to thinkpad that won't rape my wallet?