Do it yourself

How many of you guys learned how to program and code on your own without going to school for it

Other urls found in this thread:

lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I did.
I'm still trying to get a job as a self-taught, but HR is extremely elitist and still believes you need a 1960s-era applied mathematics degree (CS) in order to shit out front end javascript.

Good. Stops shitlords like you trying to get jobs you aren't qualified for.

Why do I need 3rd year physics to write javascript?
Serious question.

Good point. Everybody knows enough JS now anyway.

Its not the physics they want. they want the ability to speak, write, read. Sure you may be able to read and write, but can you speak? Communicate and socialize? Present ideas?

Problem solving skills -- anyone can read a tutorial and memorize patterns, but only true professionals can develop the problem solving skills necessary to defeat difficult and real-world problems (sorry, your CRUD apps are not important) and a rigorous degree program expedites this process.

All of us. Programming cannot be taught.

do you have tons of projects on github?

I can tell you don’t get paid enough, you’re very bitter and vicious. Must suck being you and full of angst.

I live within my means!

>I have never written a single piece of code myself and just watch Silicon Valley

>it has computer in the name, it must be about programming
Computer in this instance means the classical definition of computer, a device that computes, not a literal modern computer that's a glorified programmable calculator more than anything else
it's MATH
they need to rename CS to Information Science, because it's certainly not about computers in the contemporary sense
a pure CS program shouldn't even have programming tutorial courses in it

This: Programming can't really be taught. I can't sit in a lecture for an hour and leave knowing how to write code. Then again writing code is pretty much the easiest part of software development. Anyone can write code. It's the difficult obscure concepts that formal education helps drill into you. Plus the whole process of actually creating software, not just code. Project management, design, standards, source control etc.

I learned before studying and just got a degree for jobs.

imagine wasting 4 years getting a piece of paper and not learning anything
i hope that degree was free

This is certainly the curriculum of a software engineering degree rather than a computer science degree -- you will find very little in the way of project management, source control, scaling, design patterns, etc. from a computer science degree (whereas a software engineering degree will be nothing but, as it is the study of how to engineer and build software).

It was free.
I learned some business and communication skills I guess, helps in the long run.

I learned how to program from this document (in textfile form).
lysator.liu.se/c/bwk-tutor.html

Six figures here with no college. It’s doable guys.

this... programming courses should be removed from CS majors and just focus on the actual CS parts. It's a math degree.

Many other kinds of math (like statistics) that rely way more on computers than CS does.

Learned w3 map editor syntax on my own by dissecting maps when i was 16, but then it lead me nowhere because i didnt had internet till 2010, fuck.

2 years later I got a job even. Do it.

Plus the terrible English. I feel bad for you user.

What do you do and how did you do it

self-learned delphi-dev here.
Got in lying about having dev exp in "various FOSS projects" but since I'm in for multiple years now, noone will ever know

Mostly self taught EE here. At school we had same Java but that was basically useless. We also learned ASM for a specific DSP and a little VHDL but I don't use it atm.

Weird we didn't get C or C++ because that's wat I use the most. We also use ASM for PIC10 to 18.

I got into programming when I was 14 or something with QBASIC, QuickBASIC and Visual Basic.

At internships and later at work I learned C, C++, ASM and Java. I mostly do embedded devices so C is comfy.

Build your professional profile. If you don't have a portfolio, create one. Upload your previous work to GitHub. Prove that you have the skills.

I mostly help migrate legacy php apps to modern architectures. I just played around with stuff for several years then started sending out resumes. Once I got my first gig I was in the door and that was all it took.