Which environment and/or distro should I use?

Which environment and/or distro should I use?

I have been a windows fag all my life but recently had to use Linux and I love it. I'm keeping windows on my main desktop because gaming. However, i'm going to run Linux on my laptop. I'm leaning towards Arch with plasma.

xfce is a pretty good all-round environment. Easily customizeable, looks nice, moderately lightweight, not much bloat. Plasma's alright but it feels too bloated.
I'm using Antergos because I'm too retarded for Arch.

KDE is my favorite. OpenPepe have grate integration.

I honestly think that Windows users should feel comfortable with KDE or XFCE (if you place the panel on the bottom of the screen)
I use KDE and no problems (and find its apps better than any other desktop's), XFCE is more common. Another option would be Cinnamon. Give both a try and make a choice.

>cinnamon

The panel part is easy to live without.
The reason KDE is praised among ex windows users is because it have so many features you don't have to look elsewhere to find the setting you need.

I'm not too fussed about having it behave or look like windows. Mainly looking for something with good customisability. I'll have a look at XFCE.

>been a windows fag all my life
>recently had to use Linux
>leaning towards Arch
k

Why do you keep posting this? If you don't know that's the space for removable drive's eject button you clearly haven't used Cinnamon yourself, only seen pictures. Now drink some cleansing bleach to rid yourself of this public shame.

What's up with that?

>a folder is a removable drive
>let's allocate space to a button that doesn't exist
>on mint 18.2

do you even know what fstab is?

ZorinOS Lite (xfce)

>he doesn't have multiple drives
>he doesn't even have multiple partitions in his only drive
>he doesn't even have an external HDD or USB stick
>"better make sure the GUI looks perfect for people like me!"
Sorry. The computer says no.

Nope! I'll figure it out though user. I want to explore and learn Linux inside out.

why is space reserved for an entry that has no eject button
why does expo still animate if i turn off animations
why does this meme de still exist that takes all the drawbacks of gnome 3 and wraps them in the same w95 metaphor that xfce and mate fo a better job executing on

>why is space reserved for an entry that has no eject button
I'm not a Cinnamon developer but my wild guess is consistency. The buttons will always be in that space instead of putting them where ever they fit.
>why does expo still animate if i turn off animations
No idea, I just keep animations on so I haven't even run into this.
>why does this meme de still exist that takes all the drawbacks of gnome 3 and wraps them in the same w95 metaphor that xfce and mate fo a better job executing on
Because it works nicely and I'll keep using it until something better comes up. It's way better than Gnome 3 in ricing sense but has all the same features.

>an option that literally says to disable animations
>doesnt disable all animations
>giant fucking sidebar and taskbar padding
>"works nicely"
jej

Distro: Trisquel, MX Linux, Xubuntu.
DE: XFCE
Ignore KDE shit posters. Arch and derivatives are a waste of time. i3 is useless in 2017m

>Which should I use

The one you want to use?

Sup Forums is a hivemind of the worst kind. Don't base any of your opinions off the garbage posted here. Try various things and use what you want. Do not listen to the pajama-wearing neckbeards here when they tell you trisquel with XFCE is "comfy" or when they sperg out about shit like a fucking theme Or on a "good" day, why everything that isn't gentoo virtualized in plan 9 sucks and why you should be a "user developer" who doesn't touch anything GPL licensed/an "emacs user developer" that doesn't touch anything BSD licensed unless it's infected with the GPL.

>it's the theme's fault

If anything is to blame, it's your autism about a quarter inch of horizontal screen space in a pane of hotlinks, which is a dumb thing to focus on if your icon spacing really looks like that.

>each icon is two icons apart
Lol! Install a different file manager. It's not OSX. You can do that and have it integrate into everything else.

KDE Neon user LTS, it is basically Ubuntu LTS + Plasma 5.8 LTS +Updated KDE apps.

I like KDE Mint because it has all the codecs and other stuff you want, it's easy to customize but powerful, and the update/software manager is based on synaptic or whatever.

Long story short, it does a lot of stuff out of the box, where I only need to do surface level tweaks in order to feel home. Like global shortcuts, window behaviour, virtual desktops, and so on. In comparison to KDE NEON it might have a bigger profile, but it ain't that bad considering NEON seems less stable. Also if you have enough RAM you won't notice anyway.

I'm far from being an expert, but it works fine for me. On the other hand if I wanted to go deeper I could do so, gradually. With other distros it sometimes seems like 0 to 100 instead.

>fix what should be a unified desktop by installing a different DE's file manager
>not just addressing simple, glaring UI concerns from the get go
>"it works nicely"

>been a windowfag for 18 years me, 98se, xp, vista, win7
>first time i ever touched linux i installed arch
>15 days later delete win7 off my partition and only use arch
arch is the superior choice

KDE4 & Openbox

Plasma 5 or OpenBox.

>distro/DE hop for years
>always end up coming back
>Konqi embraces with scaly loving arms
>"o user, i knew youd come back"
>kisses forehed
>uwu

>arch is the superior choice
Only if you use your computer as a hobby, or if you want to learn linux maybe. It's not practical if you just want to have a desktop computer that doesn't run windows, in order to do things like browsing the internet, doing office stuff, and whatever else you do on a pc besides gaming. Arch is like a high mantainance girlfriend, like literally taking more time than she's worth unless you're into that kind of stuff.

since i installed i had zero real problems. the only difficulties i had were ui tweeks/learning the ricing ropes. the core package has been completely without trouble. outside of learning the ins-and-outs of linux since i never touched it arch has been very low maintenance.

Fair enough.

if you think you need Arch, install Arch. You will come crying after your first update crash your computer or you will turn into an Archfag.

You already touched Linux, so you already know the basic of what to expect. Do what you want, that's the point of open source.

I shouldn't have installed Xfce but meh, at least everything is working OK. I will wait till the next update of OpenSuse and then try KDE5

Mate

There does seem to be a trend of salty fags on Sup Forums.

Just got Solus, not bad desu

That's a lot of wasted space

MATE or XFCE, I bounce back and forth between them.

this is a genuine piece of advice.

if you are new to linux don't use arch it's very high maintenance and requires a lot of upkeep to keep it working properly since it is bleeding edge. Memes aside I'd genuinely recommend Solus, OpenSUSE or Ubuntu LTS since they are fairly stable.

really, you should learn linux with ubuntu (or kubuntu if you like kde). its the only distro which has anywhere close to the level of tailored support and documentation that windows does.
you can do nearly everything linuxy on any linux distro, so you're not gonna miss out on something by going for not-arch

Are you new to stacking WMs or something?

kek, whatever you say man

>Gatekeeping faggot

why is i3 useless? It's the one with the nicest desktop screenshots

I'm leaning the exact same way you are, OP.
Using Arch with Plasma on a vm currently and everything is great.

By the way, the OS is called GNU.

share pape please user?

sup kevin

> not hiding top panel
> noth hiding window's headbar wehn window's maximized
> Whatsapp
> budgie
Jesus Christ user, you need help. Seriously.

You're leaning in the right direction then. I use arch and plasma and it's perfection.

There are like five or four of the most popular DEs, just check'em all out and select the best one.
Real men don't use DEs, they use only WM and pick other software manually.

Run system update every several days, nothing else needed.

I use arch with GNOME. I simply use dash-to-dock to keep the app task bar on screen even in the desktop. Super smooth, running it on my main as i type

Plasma is great

Dont go arch, you will be kinda dissapointed as former windows fag.

The best distro for everybody who are former windows fags and looking for most similar experience with linux is linux mint.
This distribution wasn't called "just work" for no reason.
Linix mint cinnamon is your bro. Because mint dev team actually focuses on things what normal users really needs, not caring about shitty "Ohhhhh bloat so scary, packages older than 2 hours are so witchcraft, ooooohhhhh propertiary software is made by devil himself to send our souls to hell" memes.

Instalation is easy, and distro itself makes using console as a optional thing, not must have.
Cinnamon is a very good DE, and mint is the best cinnamon experience because mint devs also made cinnnamon.

Antergos with whatever

Since you're a 'Linux noob' I'd recommend you don't go for arch itself

DEs are bloatware, all you need is a WM.