Are you HYPE for electronic paper?

Are you HYPE for electronic paper?
Hopefully these things will be more than just simple display tech, I wanna use a sheet of paper to browse the web and do email.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw
youtube.com/watch?v=N2V9iuTW3sA
youtube.com/watch?v=QKZrQqsKQq0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

that's gonna be awesome.

I never heard of this before, fill me in

whats the difference from the e-ink displays in shit like the kindle?

Like pls and ips.
Same shit, different maker

what is the point of being able to bend a screen?

cyber punk is real

feel of paper

If they bring out a color version for sub 300$ in a 10-12 inch display I will cum myself.

it will never feel like or be as bendable/foldable or feel like real paper

Becomes more durable. If its thin as fuck and can bend without shattering or destroying itself, then it can be marketed/used by consumers for a more effective/cheaper cost of materials.

Why its a "big" deal is because as things get lighter/thinner (cost reduction/battery savings/etc), flexibility is needed as flimsy shits flex all the time in the hands of customers.

>Becomes more durable

yeah but bendable is more paper feel like a stiff board

I guess you care less about it being damaged when in a bag/backpack/whatever?

is more bendable plastic like than paper

Why, so you can turn the page just to immediately turn it back so you acn actually keep reading?

pass

you mean like a projection foil?

muh book covers with moving pictures though

I mean plastic will feel like plastic

that might be possible

Eink does three things really well:

Issue press releases about incredible new epaper tech that never becomes available.

Sell the same 20 or so shitty lo res display modules from the early 2010s.

(Occasionally) releases new Kindle.

If startups can't get access to the hardware, then it might as well not exist. Big companies will toy with the tech but then go OLED. Amazon will do its thing but I think they like being the monopsony. Eink is probably dreaming that Samsung adopts them, but they're on the glide path to ending up like mirasol.

E-ink displays are cool and all, but they have no color and their refresh rate is abysmal. Here's an actual engineer man to explain why that is:

youtube.com/watch?v=MsbiO8EAsGw

I don't understand why E-Ink makes access to development kits so painfully difficult and expensive.

If thw current e-ink had a reasonable refresh rate i would fall for the meme imediatelly. I would buy an e-ink monitor, even b&w. But the slug refresh is a deal breaker.

why not just use an amiga binitron?

I want to make clothes out of e ink paper

If I ca get colors, refresh rate and durability, yes, the hype is worth it.

>make a book out of three pages
>page flips are you flip it
>hold page button on one of the pages in case you want to hold it while you skim around the book
>ebooks now as readily useable as print
>bonus: touch enabled for highlighting

Just let me easily buy a color e-ink display already. My watch has one and I fucking love it

That's a good idea.

the shit kindle has used for years..

it uses power to put the display on and then doesn't need power to keep that page going
extremely low FPS, which isn't something that is needed
it's the same

Make it cheap enough so we can use it as product price displays in stores that automatically update so we can stop worrying about our employees constantly forgetting to take down sale prices

as he said 20 seconds into the video, it takes no power
that is what is amazing about it
literally nothing you faggots said about the paper meme matters
the fact it can be changed electronically then takes 0 power is what makes it very useful for billboards / any signs etc

great now the government can data mine what I write down on paper, too. Got any other shit ideas?

>electronic paper
Wow... that takes me back.

Let's be honest. There's no need for electronic paper. No one cares about being able to bend their shit if it's sturdy enough to not break. And there's a floor threshold to how much people care about something being thin.

I've seen this. I'll bet their sales force is trying to close pilot programs and demonstration projects with potential OEM partners. The theory goes that you get a customer to spend $5000 on it, and they are kind of invested in it. That makes selling them on the next step easier.

Meanwhile, marketing releases a dev kit for cheap (or free if it's software). The idea is that OEM techies can try the stuff out on their own and if they like it, then they buy at that point.

Only then the sales guys freak out. How can they sell a pilot program if the customer can just download the whole thing for free, or buy cheap hardware for the pilot project. The sales guy will lose control of the evaluation and maybe the deal. If he loses the customer, he can blame marketing. Meanwhile marketing can't point to any specific customers they can drag over the line with a dev kit.

I've seen dev sites shut down entirely over this issue. The customer is never won, but by that point it's a year later and there's always someone/thing else to blame.

In e-ink's case, I'll bet that they're compromising-- offering only shitty decade-old products for developers. So they can say they kind of sort of have a dev site. But no new technology, nothing a big corporate customer might want, so sales stays happy.

IMO this is a recipe for bankruptcy, but at least they get to tell themselves they'll win Apple or whoever Real Soon Now(tm) and keep Amazon happy.

well that marks the best youtube video I've seen in years

I've been using epaper almost daily for a decade.

E-paper is already used like this. I'm not sure if this is E-ink or some other company though.

Literally the e-ink display of the Pebble Time.

this desu

If I can't get the dev kit, who cares about their foldable 600 dpi color fast refresh? It's a pretty press release from a lab. If they want us to develop hardware using it, then fucking give us access.

>no color
youtube.com/watch?v=N2V9iuTW3sA
youtube.com/watch?v=QKZrQqsKQq0

technology going backward again

do i need a lamp light again to browse the web?

>hurr durr I'm gonna have to suddenly stop using my computer to browse the web when electronic paper is popular

Hasn't this tech been around for ages? I remember doing a report on it back in 2006 for tech class in High School.

IIRC its main advantage is that it needs no power unless its transitioning between images, but otherwise it has trouble with colours and cannot do video because of its slow as fuck refresh rate.

It'll be a niche product that's great for billboards, e-readers and other applications that need huge surface area but not much detail (like sports scoring and the like), but its not gonna replace OLED or other display techs for general use.

>I don't like light, I sit in the dark

dracula pls go

there are already paper-thin, flexible light panels, such as EL or OLED, what's your point?

>Are you HYPE for electronic paper?
Why would I be hype for something I won't even see in my lifetime in the stores?

I was hype 10 years ago when this was all new and there were promises of e-ink monitors or smart phones.
Then the single company that owned the patents decided that they didn't want to do anything with it other than stick it in e-readers.
...at least you can root the Nook.

Do people actually browse the web in darkened rooms?

Why?

Doesn't the patents expire this year though?

What's the point of using technology if it isn't popular, then? Tell us.

roll up phones

What kinds of resolution can we expect from things like that?

>Still no 1200*1200, 24fps color e-ink screen that I could use for all my programming needs.
I've been hyped for years now. The day the tech hits the consumer market I'll cum buckets.

that shit is old as fuck