/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

ded: Friendly GAHNOO slash Loonix Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***
Also try to keep systemd shitposting on minimum.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/ubone/2f2231a1dd14b737
kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net/ubuntu
youtube.com/watch?v=9H7e6BcI5Fo&t=3m29s
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Corruption.2FUnresponsiveness_in_Chromium_and_Firefox
ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#subtitles
lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/12/pngx803eUZyiI.png
lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/12/msg00015.html
lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/09/msg00061.html
github.com/jaagr/polybar/wiki/Module:-i3
archive.fo/xf4F6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I want to create a linux user used exclusively for running a binary as setuid to update the content of a directory owned by this user
How should I proceed?
What user id should the user have? (best/most common practice?)
Can the user not have a home folder? (what's the best practice?)
What shell should I specify for the user?
The user shouldn't be able to login. A passwd -l is enough or there is more to do?

I have a notebook with a 500GB HDD and windows is installed on it. I've bought an ultrabay and a 250GB ssd for a distro, maybe ubuntu or fedora (don't know yet).
If I put my Hdd in the ultrabay and the ssd inside the notebook, will it be good for a dual boot using grub? It's my first time using a Linux distro and I don't know how much I can fuck up

GRUB and gnu+linux won't have problems with it.
Bootin windows from the ultrabay is another thing, if the BIOS can access it then it should work.

What's the difference between Gentoo and Funtoo?

the first 2 letters

too afraid of ricing on my main computer because everytime i try i3 blows up on me to the point of no return unless i erase the i3 folder, or fuck up so bad with other shit that were installed that i straight up have to reload the VM

thought also of doing reverse engineering and just copy paste the dot files and modify them to my liking but it blows up even harder

how you learn how to rice this
the i3 wiki only has functionality tips

>debian net-install keeps failing to continue at "choose and install software"

Any real differences? Thinking of installing one.

I'm in the middle of a Funtoo install at the moment, the main thing I've noticed so far is that it has a much more streamlined and beginner friendly way to set basic use flags, also the Funtoo devs seem have to categorically refused to support systemd, it's not even an option

okay its the vista guy again from the past few threads. I tried to look more into this on my own, but I am forced to hard reboot after this happens.

First in lunbuntu this was occurring with chrome , several times (steam wouldn't install either). I tried reinstalling several times and it didn't help at all.

I just installed plain unbuntu and this problem has occurred trying to iinstall steam/chrome as well. Could it be a hardware problem? I have to use firefox right now and it seems to be working okay.

>the main thing I've noticed so far is that it has a much more streamlined and beginner friendly way to set basic use flags
I recall they supported exactly the same ways that Gentoo did.

> also the Funtoo devs seem have to categorically refused to support systemd, it's not even an option
That's pretty silly. systemd is nice.

Package manager syncs with git rather than rsync by default.

And the funtoo tree is under funtoo's management. They mostly use upstream gentoo IIRC but deviate slightly.

>systemd
>pulseaudio
>filepicker thumbnails

Is it really a surprise that most people choose Windows or Mac? Neither of those platforms regularly gets stuck when you shut down. When you plug speakers in, they work.

dont you get tired of doing that?

What distro are you using that systemd gets stuck when shutting down?

Then why not use a distro that comes without systemd?

That's what I do

Tired of dealing with GNU/Linux not working? Yes.

Ubuntu

Because I'd still have to deal with pulseaudio (thanks Firefox for removing ALSA support, no I'm not prepared to use Chrome instead). First released in 2004 and it's still a flaky piece of garbage for me.

> Ubuntu
Not too surprised overall. They also managed to have a broken PA for months and Java for weeks while everyone else was fine.

Regardless, let me point out that it's almost an art to not to be able to shut down systemd. It even has the function include to force kill whatever is still running and shut down forcibly.

IIRC you can configure it in /etc/systemd/system.conf, too

>Tired of dealing with GNU/Linux not working? Yes.
Why do you use it then? It's not like anyone forces you?

>First released in 2004 and it's still a flaky piece of garbage for me.
Has been stable almost since release on >8 different machines (arguably some of them I only used briefly in live mode), with the exception of that one snd-hda-intel bug early on.

I'm pretty sure you can still compile firefox sans-pulseaudio on Gentoo, but I could be wrong

I've used Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Arch and Debian in the past. I've found Ubuntu to be the least tedious for me. In part that may be because of the wealth of resources available for solving problems with it (perhaps because other people have lots of problems with it?).

The impression I got was that compiling without pulseaudio means no sound, which isn't really viable for me.

I've done multiple arch installations on regular hdds, but I'm now getting an SSD.

Should be doing anything special?

Is a swap partition a bad idea?

My laptop only has 8 gb of ram, which makes me think that I should get a swap partition, but don't to kill the ssd.

linux doesn't write to the swap partition unless you're out of ram.
Just make a 4gb one just in case.

useradd -d /path/to/directory/where/it/will/run -s /sbin/nologin
It'll pick a valid UID automatically.

>debian net-install keeps failing
FTFY.

I'm currently using XFCE on Ubuntu. I want to use pcmanfm, but the text underneath the icons are misaligned and it hurts my autism. pcmanfm-qt doesn't have this problem, but it tries to download a fuckload of unrelated lxqt shit and looks uglier.

Is there any way I can fix this?

What is a GNU/Linux program that can hide in tray and give notifications for new mail?

Pcmanfm is deprecated.
Use spacefm

Thanks! The layout is a little bit wonky to me, but I'm sure I can change it around/get used to it.

Does anyone have the edit of pic related with macos and linux where the linux guy just says haha for 5 panels and nobody comes through the door

No I mean like this (30 seconds in paint)
But it had windows and macos comparisons

Is he using a left handed mouse? lol what an asshole

can someone hold my hand and walk me through on customizing dwm. plss

on debian btw

I had no luck trying to use linux mint either, really odd problem. Does anyone what could possibly cause this issue with ubuntu based operating systems?

Must be something hardware maybe? I'm pretty tech illiterate but I doubt I could fuck up 8 different times in the exact same way.

Hi! What causes this on FF57 on Debian Buster? I've installed bitstream vera and used web-font-load to get all the google fonts. It's still missing something.

Serious question: is there any way to replace the ascii image in neofetch with
fortune | cowsay?

The guy who started Gentoo decided to leave and start over with a new distro, so he started Funtoo.

slow thread but I'll leave this miserable bump.

boiz I'm making the switch for those sweet rice pictures have convinced me. I swear on me nan's that I just ordered an ssd, itll come tomorrow so that I can dual boot and not lose all my shit. I have one problem though, and thats the fucking distro. I want something light and that will make me learn and I am seriously considering Arch for the memeand also because for some reason all the ricer screenshots have arch. However I really like the swirly logo of debian. What is better for a begginner? (debian comes with a desktop enviornment so itll be easier but i will miss out on the build it yourself factor) what do you say Sup Forums, debian or arch for the linux first experience? (I dont care for productivity since I'll keep my windows for now, but I want to have a personalized, nice looking os and eventually become proficient in linux for fun)

Please help.

rolling around debian and using the caveman like ppa systems and hacking and slashing your way through menial shit will make you feel at ease knowing your computer is 100% yours. Arch is easier to customize due to the AUR and it's actually not that bad of a choice, but if you hold packages for a month and upgrade your shit'll be done. All distros are equally customizable but Arch makes it easy to use prebuilt packages ending in *-git. This actually reduces the value Arch had as the cool kidz club, it's piss easy to install and whoever tells you otherwise is just scared of their secret club going away. RPM/DEB based distros are unironically your best choice, Fedora has COPRs for anything you might need and Debian/Ubuntu have PPAs and a pretty large community. I still find myself using the arch wiki across all distros though so take that as you will.

Thank you user.
>but if you hold packages for a month and upgrade your shit'll be done
why?
>Arch makes it easy to use prebuilt packages ending in *-git.
> Arch is easier to customize due to the AUR and it's actually not that bad of a choice
> I still find myself using the arch wiki across all distros
So I should go for arch?

What's a good modern laptop that has good compatibility with most linux distros?

Something with decent performance

>why?
Packages get revised/overhauled since Arch is a rolling release (unless you're an LTS user) so previous configs get corrupted
>So I should go for arch?
Arch-Anywhere if you don't wanna be part of the cool kids club. Some autismos will hate you for it but it's the easiest way to get it without using commands for a million hours and sweating when pacstrap fails. No residue configs unless you tell em to enable their repositories/install their AA branded things.

On my HDD I have a lock system with no way to remove. I'm trying to reformat/delete a HDD but can't because of it.

Dell XPS.

So its locked in firmware? You might need manufacturer support. And a new drive meanwhile.

don't mind me just posting my weston.ini

[core]
xwayland=true

[libinput]
enable_tap=true

[shell]
background-image=Pictures/assntities.jpg
background-type=scale-crop
panel-color=0x00ffffff
panel-position=bottom
num-workspaces=6
cursor-theme=Breeze_Amber
cursor-size=1
focus-animation=dim-layer
clock-format=none

[keyboard]
keymap_layout=us,dk
keymap_variant=colemak,nodeadkeys
keymap_options=grp:shifts_toggle
repeat-rate=30
repeat-delay=300

[output]
name=LVDS1
mode=preferred

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/apps/utilities-terminal.png
path=/usr/bin/weston-terminal

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/apps/utilities-terminal.png
path=/usr/bin/st

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/apps/system-file-manager.png
path=/usr/bin/pcmanfm

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/apps/web-browser.png
path=Downloads/firefox/firefox-bin --new-instance

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/actions/zoom-out.png
path=/usr/bin/amixer -q set Master 1%- unmute

[launcher]
icon=/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/actions/zoom-in.png
path=/usr/bin/amixer -q set Master 1%+ unmute

[terminal]
font=monospace
font-size=18

it's having issues displaying, or issues running?

It could be an issue with your display drivers, or with the distro itself.

You're in the install process?

I'm using puppy Linux 4.3. it's also an idea drive but I did setup a firewall.

you like anal don't you

ubuntu (and debian) have atrocious video playback for whatever reason

no it's not you faget and spacefm is a one man fork of ... wait for it... pcmanfm

gist.github.com/ubone/2f2231a1dd14b737 c59b6406e314d119

it's obviously something with the gpu
kiwiirc.com/client/chat.freenode.net/ubuntu

>
picrelated

Is ZFS on a laptop overkill?

I was told it's not for desktop and I should just stick to ext4

ZFS is still a meme on Linux. If you're on a distro that gets recent kernel updates, you might try btrfs.

But yeah, you really can't go wrong with ext4 unless you *need* more features than it offers.

I thought btrfs was also a meme?

>$CURRENT_YEAR
>Still using graphical file managers
>Not using Ranger

Why, lads?
It's so fucking nice

How's btrfs compared to LVM with ext4's?

copy on write is a thing
youtube.com/watch?v=9H7e6BcI5Fo&t=3m29s

>3m29s

No clue pal, sorry. Font rendering is perfect on all my Debian machines, stable, buster and sid

Btrfs is truly usable in 4.13 and higher kernels.

first time installing Arch/Linux and I have no idea how I want to partition my SSD. Is there a typical scheme that you guys use?

Install Debian.
Stop being a weeaboo and get a real woman.

>ubuntu (and debian) have atrocious video playback
baka

Holy shit. That's pretty good.

How big are the snapshots? Do they eat up a lot of disk space?

Is it one snapshot per partition?

*meant to ask, does every partition get its own set of snapshots

Do they auto-clean after a certain time? I kind of fear they might get out of control

Fedora 27 when

Just partition everything as "swap" for maximum speed

I've read that the ultrabay is bootable, so it should have no problem... I think so (?)
Thanks for your reply, as soon as it arrives I will install a distro and see what will happen.

What are the best Android/Linux apps?

busybox

tru story - it's shit

I don't use Ubuntu anymore but what's wrong with installing mpv? Are you too much of a faggot to configure a ppa?

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics#Corruption.2FUnresponsiveness_in_Chromium_and_Firefox

I'm using ffmpeg to style and hardcode subtitles into video. I am using the SSA styles.

What does &HAA mean or how does it work? It can be seen in the link posted below. I know it sets the alpha channel of the colour value (AlphaBRG). But what's the ampersand and H value?

ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#subtitles

>However I really like the swirly logo of debian.
lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/12/pngx803eUZyiI.png
lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2010/12/msg00015.html
lists.debian.org/debian-project/2011/09/msg00061.html
>
Beyond that, it is an unfortunate fact that our open logo is _very_
similar to a custom brush shape shipped in Adobe Photoshop. (Our logo
was chosen in a public contest; I suspect if anyone had noticed this
when we chose the logo, we would have disqualified it.)

did you pull all those assumptions out of your ass just now? i dont need to compromise my install with a ppa because i used 1710 which provides mpv 26 which is recent enough. there was nothing wrong with installing, i wrote playback faggot, stop looking at dick pics for a few seconds and try read. very weird tearing in fullscreen /not vsync like/ and over cpu usage, youtube is impossiburu, it's not the hardware. so ye either something is missing or its just shit no info tho

>i dont need to compromise my install with a ppa
kys
stopped reading

Please don't use normalfag acronyms in these threads. Thanks.

>>However I really like the swirly logo of debian.
it's literary women's blood going down the drain
yours is poo tho

>kys
no u
>stopped reading
kek the irony

Brainlet here.
How can I get polybar to show my i3's FontAwesome icons for workspace names, instead of just plain 1,2,3... ?

I've tried the formatting suggested in their wiki but it's not working for me.

github.com/jaagr/polybar/wiki/Module:-i3

Running Ubuntu looking for a good PDF-reader.

Prerequisites:
* is blazing fast
* can do highlighting (highlighting by selecting text with mouse; not like qpdfview's blotch smattering)

halp

>it's literary women's blood going down the drain
ohhh, shit
cannot unsee

Note, not based on KDE is best.
I do not want Okular unless I absolutely have to use it.

I used Okular today, what's so bad about it? werks for me tb h

archive.fo/xf4F6

I've encrypted my harddrive using dm-crypt and LUKS a long time ago. How do I find out what algorithm(s) I chose?

PS, I have the password to unlock, and have full access to the filesystem

I'm planning to revive an old 2006 iMac (Core Duo T2400, ATi Radeon X1600). Unfortunately, alot of the distros that I prefer don't offer i686/32 bit versions anymore. I've narrowed the choices to the following: Xubuntu 16.04 LTS, Fedora 26, Debian, archlinux32. I have a preference for bleeding edge software, and I'm spoiled by the AUR. My standard to-go distro is Manjaro, but it's phasing out i686 support soon.

It werks for me too.
Try Shift+down to smoothly autoscroll. I wouldn't use another viewer without this feature.

fedora or openmandriva.
i'd stick to openmandriva though

which filesystem should I use for xubuntu?

>openmandriva
seconded
that shit it bananes

If you don't have a reason to use anything else use ext4.

ext4

thanks