What makes thinkpads "good for Linux"?

What makes thinkpads "good for Linux"?

autism aesthetic

classic thinkpad keyboards rival mechanical keyboards in terms of tactile feedback

really is no reason, thinkpads are just fucking amazing

The neckbeards behind them.

Software support/ compatibility due to being very widely used business machines you dumb fucks.

lolno, new keyboards feel crisper and more tactile. Old keyboards are mushy as fuck.

it just werks bro

overall better driver compatibility than other laptop brands

Also because Thinkpads are very vanilla intel machines in the most part

cheap

cool autism bro

new thinkpad keyboards feel like you're typing on crumbled paper

old thinkpad keyboards weren't as high quality in terms of materiel but still feel good as fuck to use

>being right is autism

Not that guy, you can even check the poster count in the bottom right, but you are a colossal faggot

Great hardware compatibility. Don't think I use any non-free drivers on my T430 (don't have bt enabled).

Thinkpads are solid machines with lots of good qualities, but I personally buy them exactly because they take Linux like a champ. I'm typing this with my X230 which is very small, light, good battery life and solid body that doesn't feel like it's going to bend in half. IPS screen (unfortunately 1366x768 because they never made a better one) and 250 GB SSD also. I don't even dual boot, it only has Debian and it works great.

because they aren't powerful and linux is a simple hobbyist os that will run on shit hardware

Because both things are great for affecting a faux tech guru facade.

Not to dis legit Linux users, just the kind of Linux users who would buy Thinkpads in 2017.

it's not just thinkpads that are good for linux
any hp or dell business laptop will be just as good

>People buy thinkpads to impress neckbeards on Sup Forums and not because they have better keyboards
Kys retard

literally any laptop has full hardware support with linux these days

nope
fucking samsung makes shitty custom hardware that only works for windows
>can't even read or control the speed of the fans
>fan takes off every 10 seconds when browsing chrome

Lack of retarded hardware choices that make most distros REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE at you

Some shitty laptops from obviously shit brands usually use weird shit that just doesn't work
Some HP have shit wifi cards which cause them not to work out of the box
My old acer had a problem with the backlight which didn't let me change the backlight intensity
Etc etc

You know the memes about wifi not working? Doesn't apply to ThinkPads (or anything else I own desu...)

nothing
Their build quality and utilitarian design is what makes it special, software is and always will be arbitrary when buying a phone

>Yeah this phone does have better build quality but look at this other one, it has stock Android 7.0
>I AM BOOTING CYANOGEN FAGGOT, WHO CARES WHAT IT HAS NOW BECAUSE IT WON'T IN 2 DAYS

>when buying a phone
I meant to say laptop or phone, because you can always boot something else

stupid faggots

>software is arbitrary
You must be a retard that managed to miss a few posts above. Driver compatibility isn't an "arbitrary" thing.

>Driver compatibility isn't an "arbitrary" thing.
Yes it is, unless you're a fucking retard who can't install them properly

>who can't install them properly
You must be an idiot that has never encountered a broadcom wireless card.

Old thinkpads.
-BIOS replaceable with coreboot/libreboot
-old Intel arch meaning no hardware level botnet aka. IME
-Intel HD graphics, so 100% operational with libre drivers without firmware

Kys pajeet.

>Broadcom
Please don't trigger my PTSD, user.

I've got a Samsung that's maybe 5 years old and switched a few months ago. No custom hardware problems that I can tell.

recent samsung models (mine is 2015) have some kind of custom fan controller/sensors that's not compatible with anything but samsung driver software on Windows
my friends has a similar 2017 model, and it has the same problem

but I no longer have to care about this because I'm selling it and getting a used latitude

also, I never could find out how to control the keyboard brightness
it could only be controlled on windows & samsung drivers

Everything that is popular in the Linux community make it better for Linux (more support) . I have no idea what it is so popular in Linux community.

I'm installing Linux on my x220 once my ssd gets here. When I installed Windows, the trackpad was unusable until I installed the drivers (jumpy as fuck).

Am I going to have a problem using it in Linux/can I fix it?

i had this isue with touchpad itself, if i recall correctly it only happens if it's plugged in, but trackpoint worked very good. I've never installed Windows though.
You might not have this problem in Linux at all. You can test it with bootable usb and boot from it, you were going to do it when installing anyway

If you use a tablet version of an x series thinkpad prepare for massive disappointment in wacom on Linux.