/wt/ - Watch Thread -Financial Advice Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=mBFI8ScdE4E

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/another-borealis-estoril-300-review-3345658.html
swatchgroup.com/brands_and_companies
monochrome-watches.com/seikos-affinity-to-hi-beat-movement-part-one/
youtu.be/uwJ9TbkNigs
omegaforums.net/threads/chronographs-vertical-and-horizontal-coupling.5539/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post your swatches

Many years and it has been on many deployments when I was a military contractor. Doesn't see much of that anymore though given my current career.

>thinks a Tissel or Skwalleeee isn't objectively dog shit in comparison to a sub

either trolling or hasn't ever put a luxury watch on his wrist.

>design alone is what the price of a watch is based off of

Looks like its happening like clockwork

I'll post pictures tommorow

Mark 4.5 > Mark II

>For jews
That's Rolex. Omega is for goys, by jews.

>posting chink knock offs

Why don't you buy Swatch like real rich people?

It's a beautiful design you are just too much of a pleb to understand it's beauty. At least they didn't steal their design, unlike Rolex.

Fatbrah, can you post full collection?

>reduced my collection to my explorer ii, sbdc051 and my gshock for work so that I can add a MKII

Although that 4.5 is nice looking canadian bro

A squale is BETTER quality than a submariner. I said it. Squale has a real history in the military, rolex was built for posers

Fuck Canada and their import fees while we're at it. I once had to pay 400 dollars on a 4000 dollar watch just in import fees. Never buying a really expensive watch overseas again.

Cool protective stickers there.

>still no arguments
Explain to me how the fucking build quality, the fucking design and the FUCKING UNTOUCHABLE (because PP marketing is right, you never really do own this watch 100%) movement grants 8k USED.
>inb4 muh le heritage muh history muh haute memelogy

For some reason in my experience with Seiya Japan it skips the fees. Through watchbuys I had to pay out the ass for fees but Seiya japan slips through

I got you

Have you held a Patek? Patek has ALWAYS been one of the most pretentious watch companies. They have a long history of providing timepieces to royalty and celebrities alike.

And yes, a lot of it too is MUH CRAFTSMUSHIP. Again, unless you've held the 3919 in your hands you honestly have no idea.

Tell me, what would you buy with 8K used, hm?

Beautiful collection. Is that a GW5000 I see there?

It's a 5610. I should get a 5000 eventually though.

That Seiko. I have recently gotten more interested in digital watches, especially those older ones with stainles steel. How much was it?

Kind of miss the 5610, it was a great simple watch. The 5000 is great, owned that too, really feels like a luxury square G.

You may not like it, but this is what a quality high end watch looks like

About $200 USD on Yahoo! Japan Auctions and you'll have to be patient to find one because only about 5-10 a year get listed. Search for "Seiko s760" in looking for one.

Preorders on new run of Borealis Estorils with bracelets and new options, I'm pretty tempted. I always have been a sucker for the new seamaster 300 but fuck that cuckaxial swatch bullshit. I already preordered an NTH devil ray last month so another watch is hard to justify right now.

I just want to make Omega males squirm; their writhing brings me immense pleasure.

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

I meant Swatch males.

I'd be interested in seeing an actual picture of the case. The logo is a bit too goofy for me though.

Omega males describes them pretty accurately.

that seiko on the bottom right is just way too fucking big. But overall nice collection

Here's last year's at least forums.watchuseek.com/f71/another-borealis-estoril-300-review-3345658.html

Sorry for stealing all your (You)s by posting that user

i think 2 people have speed masters one guy has an x33 and seiko bro has another one; I don't know of many other swatch/omega males on wt. People make fun of seiko males because they literally only recommend seiko's and they cannot possibly be the best buy at every price point. It is clearly apple tier delusion in some cases. Ib4 I am a swatch male the Thread with the gs and the thread with the seiko observatory movement are both threads i made. I like seiko but some of you mother fuckers need to take a step back.

Swatch male.

Breguet, Blancpain, Glashütte Original, Jaquet Droz, and Longines are all good brands so i guess i am okay with that

> Longines
????

swatchgroup.com/brands_and_companies

Sorry I meant
> Good
????

i guess modern longines and modern omega are pretty shit tier so i retract that. Good call. I honestly just went on their website and realized swatch ripped out their insides

Longines can be good, some of their heritage models are really nice. However 90 percent of their watches are just absolute shitters.

Vintage Longines offer really nice value

Look what came in the mail just in time for... Thanksgiving.

Anti-Omega lads, do you like the Speedmaster?

Sure, agreed on vintage longines.

ah how do you tell the time?

The ghosts move

How does this work?

Jesus Christ what the fuck is that??????????????????????????????????

I mean, orient beats out the cheap Seiko divers and some 1k-4k watches beat Seiko, but most of the posts here are either low priced or talking about watches few people here will see in person. It's just based on the areas that are desirable in this thread.

It's a longines ultra quartz. It uses a quartz crystal running at 9(!)Khz to regulate an Accutron-style index wheel running at 170hz. The remarkable thing is that unlike the contemporary beta 21, it uses only analog circuit components, no IC, which saved power at the time.

the ghosts are the hands

I'm going to put in a new battery, change the strap, and I'll make a time lapse webm of the ghosts going around and everyone on /wt/ will be so jealous they'll throw their Speedies in the trash.

I am not anti-omega at all. Vintage omega is probably my favorite watch company on earth. Before i got into watches i really wanted a speedmaster. I really really really wanted a speedmaster. After learning a lot more about watches and getting into movement design i really can't bring myself to want a horizontal clutch chronograph no matter what watch its in. It is also larger than i personally am comfortable with having tiny 7 inch wrists. I also became more and more disillusioned as i learned of hands falling off during launch and crystals popping out during eva's. Instead of getting a speedmaster i have decided to get a vintage chronometer 561 movement based watch.

That's fucking crazy

A fine choice, but curious, why the 561 and not the 564?

Really good article on high beat movements from Seiko and the race to 10bps.

monochrome-watches.com/seikos-affinity-to-hi-beat-movement-part-one/

Didn't realize the Lord Marvel was the 1st high beat from Seiko. Makes me even happier I got mine back today.

The marketing from longines at the time was amazing.
> quartz: 8KHz
> ULTRA QUARTZ: 9KHz BABY!

How's it running?

Really well. So far no loss or gain basically. Shane also mentioned making sure I wind it to full everday approx around the same time.

>change the strap
Why would you ever do that? Also, congrats. That is by far my favorite Swatch.

Can't have poor endlink fitment if you don't have endlinks

noice candabrah... cant wait for my perlon to arrive for my white dial seiko

No real reason i just like the whole 100,000 consecutive 561 chronometers.I know the 564 has a quickset date. Honestly when it comes down to it at the end of this year If i like the watch the 564 is in better id probably get that.

Yeah, I'd like it even more if it was 38mm but I still really like the design and exterior finishing on it.

fuck that's a nice camera

Ive never handled one up close. Not a huge fan of the dial but was just comparing it the other watches in the box. It looks like its the size of the skx. I am sure they are excellent watches but for some reason that pattern throws me off. Its like marmite you like it or you don't.

Any Slav/Jap shit with a reddish brown face like pic related?

Agree with what you said, vintage Omega was awesome. Mind explaining why the horizontal clutch sucks though?

561. great movement. I owned the 564 movement in a vintage constellation, it was stunning when I popped the back open. Better looking than some newer higher end movements.

The watch in your photo meets your criteria. You have any other factors we should consider?

No worries, you were here and had the picture he was looking for.

>post tons of pictures of fake/replica omegas
>I've sure shown those swatch males

That article series does a good job of explaining how autistically obsessed both Seiko divisions became with mechanical movement accuracy in the late pre-quartz era. Daini in particular became totally obsessed with it to the point of designing and building a 36,000 bph women's movement(!!!) and throwing enough adjustment labour at it to sell a VFA version(!!!!).

>TFW no fun meme* swatch
*that is intentionally a meme and not just a failed adaptation of a moment design

youtu.be/uwJ9TbkNigs

this video has really good animations but on a really basic level a horizontal clutch jams a gear against another gear to engage the chronograph which is not only destructive over time but if a tooth is hit instead of a groove the chronograph will not engage perfect. If you are trying to accurately time something that is not ideal. A vertical clutch works sort of like a car clutch where a two surfaces come together. A A gear drops onto another coupling them and immediately engaging the chronograph with no tooth interaction. There are a myriad of different designs for each clutch type but typically horizontal clutches should not remain engaged for long periods due to wear whereas vertical clutch movements can typically withstand far more use.

It's 40mm, and the case and bracelet are done by the same Seiko division that makes GS cases and bracelets, tough of course the Brightz models aren't tin polished like the GS ones are, but they do have double AR crystals and Diashield on the case and bracelet to reduce scratches.

guise, guise
I have a question, what would you recommend for a female?
Lets try to keep it simple, black dial, all metal.
Triple bonus for exposed moving parts or skeletonised anything. I KNOW I KNOW, but its not to please /wt/ she's weird like that.
And i would like to spend upwards 500 bucks.
It would really really help guise.

god almighty please don't post that again. Fuck me what where they thinking?

>t-t-they're f-fake!!!!

not spend upwards of 500? or upwards of 500? because that would mean literally any watch on earth over 500 dollars.

Is it your wife or soon to be wife? If not don't waste upwards of $500 unless she fucks like a champ.

>expecting females to understand logic
you know what she meant, shitlord

DON'T FEED IT YOUR PUTTING FOOD IN THE MOUTH OF ITS THIRD WIFE

I really don't and i don't think its a woman.

These Swatch males are absolutely devastated. It's funny they call me a Seiko male yet I own no watches.

There is also an excellent thread by Al Archer (a well known independent watchmaker) explaining the differences available here: omegaforums.net/threads/chronographs-vertical-and-horizontal-coupling.5539/

Would really suggest relaxing the black dial for white or mother of pearl. Orient often is the best bet for ladies mechanical although Hamilton has some decent stuff (a little above your price point). This is the best I could do for black skeletonized (and it's out of production) but like I said lots more options in white/pearl

Thats a doozy, i think i have never seen a womens watch in any of these threads.

Saw this beauty on tgv's facebook pace the other day. I can't even believe people actually buy these fly by night facebook ad watches.

Yeah I sold it because it just felt impractical to use, but it's fucking beautiful and I miss having it just for the sake of having it.

The copper plating looks great, it's a damn shame they make all these fucking special editions and they can't bother making a new copper plated movement now that all their watches have display backs.

up to 500 i mean i could spend more but not right now
yeah thx
Im pretty close to land my dream job, that means financial security and bragging rights amongst college peers, YES I KNOW i said 500 so it doesnt sound like ill be making a lot of money, BUT OH BOY furniture appliances and shit is pretty expensive... so yeah lets say my soon to be wife.
thx ill look int that

I live how beta this post is. Instead of contacting them straight away and trying to sort it he is asking if it's a normal thing to have happen. Almost like he will consider not contacting them if it's normal.

Thanks for the videos and articles by the way. Vertical clutch definitely seems superior from what I can see.

And yeah, it does suck. Now they're trying to shove their coaxial movements into every damn watch they have.