Untitled

this

I wasted so much time on slackware and gentoo that it's fucking sad.

Power user distros are just stripped down versions of distros like Fedora or Ubuntu that are only good for bragging purposes.

>linus torvalds uses fedora
>richard stallman uses trisquel which is literally fucking ubuntu

missing the last stage where you return to using windows / mac as a power user

I used Debian since 2004. Hands down the best major distro out there.

When Debian became unusable after the NSA/systemd debacle I switched to Devuan Jessie for my home server and desktop. It's pretty comfy.

For live USB I use antiX (which is real fukken amazing).

You cannot return to windows as """((power user))""". Power user means you have a somewhat higher level of control over your system. On windows you don't have that.

>what is powershell

t. hasn't ever used mmc, gpedit, the fucking registry or plain injected DLLs.

Why do windows users think this is acceptable? Why don't you just use an OS that can be configured with plain text files according to wealthy documentation? Enjoy your obfuscated config and hacks. Also, enjoy transferring these modifications to another system.

>linus torvalds uses fedora
>richard stallman uses trisquel which is literally fucking ubuntu

Who cares what cuckvald or wizzardman use?

I've seen this image for so long, but has Ubuntu on the bottom always been misspelled?

I use both systems you tard, I even have my dotfiles repo like you nerds.
>Also, enjoy transferring these modifications to another system.
Just like you can have a bunch of dotfiles and bash scripts to copy them you can have .reg files or GPOs in .cab files.
You should learn about other OSs, never know when it will be useful.

probably lol

I use ubuntu server with openbox. Best of all worlds.

> currently running fedora 25
> my new MacBook is scheduled to arrive in the next couple days
> :^)

Im thinking about switching over to an Ubuntu based distro instead of waiting for fedora 27 to drop as well. Any suggestions on which DE I should use?

fedora is a fuckin joke and anyone who uses it is an idiot

>fedora and ubuntu
>get real work done
I can smell the mad salted potato.
It doesn't matter which distro is the "best"
It's just that some distro will cater your needs more than any other distro and distro hopping is not a bad thing. The bad thing is when you get angry about a distro just because your level of intelligence cannot comprehend how to make it "werk". Getting angry at a tool is what dumbfucks do. It's normal to try different tools (distros).

>I wasted so much time on slackware and gentoo that it's fucking sad.
Lol sounds like you fell for the meme and your decision making and life choices are as dark as your life right now.

After distrohopping for 4 years I settled with Manjaro. Does the job for me just fine.

confirmed

t. windows user

Dub dubs confirm OP's pic. I'm currently back to Debian and it's already great so I don't know if I have to ever go as far back as Ubuntu.

arch doesn't even make sense for epenis
plan9 is epenis
minix is epenis

This
>install fedora
>updates keep bugging me on the notification
>update
>breaks
Heh. Fedora is just a RHEL testbed and breakage testbed.
>telemetry
>doesn't care about users "unless you're RHEL maybe we'll talk"
>writes blog how to circumvent the sudden breakage but doesn't document it properly
>completely breaks the whole..
>no fallback and recovery terminal lmao
>no documentation how to fix
A complete joke.

This. Only think is fedora is a little annoying setting up certain drivers. Has anyone got experience with the open source nvidia drivers blender? I think unfortunately id need to use the propietary ones. I think ita the same for amd though, my understanding is blender only aupports the closed source drivers.

Went all over the place. Wound up back on Linux Mint. Don't even care what other people have to say about it - I like it just fine.

Nsa?

le firewall off by default distro faec

My first distro was mint. Fter hopping i returned to my sweet bloaty mint. I love how bloat makes my life easier, i love how propertiary driver does its job. I dont give a single fuck about shit "ancient packages" and "bloatware: memes

Yeah. It sure takes a long time to turn ufw on. I mean, you have to enter an entire line in terminal, or click on "Firewall Configuration," and then flip a switch.

Even though it's bloaty by Linux standards, it's still light as a feather in comparison to anything Windows has shat out in the past 15 years.

>he uses an operating system without a real per application firewall

Firejail is good enough for me. Minimizes my exposure without having to spend a whole lot of time configuring shit on a per-application basis.

>firejail
>somehow even remotely reated to a firewall
lol enjoy your backdoored apps fucking off to ZOG hackerman headquarters through your open ports

I will, thanks.

Have any sources on where to learn to set up a better firewall than ufw?

opensnitch is the only FOSS project I know of and its in alpha

Ive been on Arch since 2014. I dont use Arch to be the local hackerman neet. I use it cos it's fast and makes things easy to install.

Thanks I will look into opensnitch, I hope it works better than it sounds.

Ubuntu -> Arch -> Crunchbang plus plus -> arch

me
>Install mint
>Install mint on 2nd machine
>Update
>Upgrade
>Reinstall
>Update
>Still using the 2nd installation and getting shit done
Looks like I don't belong here

Use opensnitch

>Power user distros are just stripped down versions of distros like Fedora or Ubuntu
You should learn more
>I used Debian since 2004. Hands down the best major distro out there.
"apt" and "the best" can't be in the same sentence
>For live USB I use antiX
Okay, this thing is pretty cool
>minix is epenis
haven't you heard the news? Minix is the most popular OS out there! Thanks, Intel.

>Not picking your distro based on the most cyberpunk looking logo
Literally the only reason to pick any distro over an other.

this guy understands it

You only say that because your fancy distro happened to use appropriate package manager. I bet if someone made a fancier logo but build a distro around npm you would rather kys than use it.
Oh wait, someone actually did that.

Nah, I probably would use it.

>"apt" and "the best" can't be in the same sentence
. . .

all DEs are shite just stick to gnome

>just stick to gnome
Absolutely disgusting. Fluxbox or bust!

This picture is peddled by people who never "got" Gentoo and Arch and use it to convince themselves that they just skipped over the needless steps and that they're really l33t for using ubuntu.

I use different distributions in different places. If you don't, you don't know what you're doing. It's primarily fedora and gentoo though.

>install arch
>no customization
>everything just werks™
>package management is a bliss

I'm really content with openSUSE, but I'm a pretty basic user. I just need things to work while respecting my privacy and being stable. It does everything I need and I have faith in the community to provide a good distro. I guess it's probably in the same tier of usability as fedora.

>openSUSE,
Same here. Leap has been stable on my chinkpad, but tumbleweed breaks sometimes on a VM.
I've also used mint, REHL 6 & 7, CentOS 6, SLES11, and up until now I just liked openSUSE the best

>cuckvald
underrated post

In the end the reason for hopping is that young people always want something for nothing. They want more performance but not pay for good hardware and software, so they switch to linux b/c they think it will speed up their crapbox by ten times.
Then it doesnt work. And the exiting new look soon gets boring. So find a new distro again, because you think you MIGHT just get it right this time, might get your graphics card to work even, so you might even get some games. And even a proper office environment where you can actually open your school files could work, maybe wine runs better on that other distro? Also your wifi keeps disconnecting randomly, it could only be your distros fault, of course.

You need to add another step:

You realize that there is already a perfect Unix based system which has all of the good properties of Linux while also supporting more software and having a bunch of extra features unavailable to Linux. It is also more secure: you upgrade to MacOS.

Ubuntu
Debian
Arch
Fedora
Arch

I was like OP's pic initially, but I kept getting annoyed at Fedora's restrictions. The AUR is incredibly valuable.

>AUR
What's so great about AUR?All I see is badly configured package and no sane defaults.

The only thing arch give is broken xorg.

Nothing.

There are a lot of small minor programs that you would install from source on any other distro. For example, xbindkeys_config (a gtk config frontend for xbindkeys). You have to clone the repo read the documentation, install its dependencies, then compile and install it. Good luck remembering to keep it up to date.

On Arch, using an AUR package manager like pacaur, you can install from the aur just like you would from the official repos (still read the aur webpage at least, don't be a retard), all the dependencies are handled, and so are updates.

Perhaps if you only want a couple of things outside your OS's repos, you can handle them yourself. But it's annoying to be working without a package manager.

Why not make a package for the official repos instead of making an AUR package?

Ubuntu
Every fucking distro except arch
Debian
Every fucking distro except arch
Gentoo
Debian
Should I try arch?

Lower effort, I assume. To make an AUR package for that kind of thing, you often are just wrapping up someone's github repo with a pkginstall script that just runs make install, and anyone can do

For me it went Mint > Xubuntu > Antergos (currently using)

Arch has been my main OS for 10 years without using anything else for a substantial period of time so idk

>started with Ubuntu 9.10
>mom didn't want it on the family computer
>remove Ubuntu
>year later, get my own shitty laptop
>hop between all entry- / intermediate- level distros, eventually settle on CrunchBang
>2013, get a ThinkPad T430
>CrunchBang isn't cutting it anymore, hop between distros for a long time
>Stay on Fedora for a while
>Eventually install Arch
>2.5 years later, running the same exact installation
>Never felt the need to install another distro again

I went from Windows XP to Ubuntu to Debian and then to Fedora. I've also added OS X Sierra and Windows 7 and 10 LTSB to the mix.

>started with fedora
>then arch
>mint
>arch
>various others
>now happily using Gentoo for the past 3 years
Funtoo's profiles are a step in the wrong direction, Gentoo is perfect the way it is.

I went ubuntu->opensuse->arch->fedora->debian->gentoo. I can tell you that while the differences between binary distros are typically minor Gentoo is 300x more customizable than all those binary distros.

Ass hurt Gentoo and Arch user detected. Stay mad no lifer.

>instead of waiting for fedora 27 to drop as well
Some inside joke? Already dropped

Went from fedora to mint to arch to opensuse and back to arch for 2 years now