/hsg/ - Home Server General

/hsg/ - Home Server General

Discuss building, setting up your own homeserver and maintaining the services and demons on it.
>hostan. installan. rebootan. crying about uptime.

---> FAQ & Tips

OP is a faggot..

What?

Why would you have loud and hot servers in your bedroom

Maybe he needs the noise to sleep.

He should have taken hormones and exercised when he was in his early twenties.
I'm sure he would have gotten way more attention but instead he decided to become a greasy neckbeard.

Cute traps are the best attentionwhores

i'd rather kill myself then have to live, let alone sleep in a server room

why does this guy even post considering all the hate he gets? you think he would take the hint

Info snippet from last thread, unfortunately not in OP:

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.
>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1.
>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like the J1900 or J3455 chipped ones.
>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.
>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.
---> FAQ & Tips

Thanks for recovering the pasta from the last thread, user.

My washer, dryer, router, server combo

>washer, dryer
More picks

Don’t get too excited. I converted two closets into a nook for cleaning and my router/raspberry

It was better in my head. Damn.

Is it a bad idea to run a headless ubuntu server off a usb2 drive? Everything else is on SSDs and harddrives. Will it create slowdowns?

I wanted to stream some photos and videos wirelessly from my pc with windows 7 to my TV without any external software but i couldnt. No matter what I set, how many firewalls i turned off the TV couldnt see those folders, Then I've installed UMS and it works out of the box.

Why does Windows sharing sucks so much?

IMO try better USB 3.0

My USB3 ports are used by hard drives. I'm trying to find out if a basic server does much IO once it's booted up and ready to go to justify freeing up a USB3 port or is 2 is gud enough.
Can I somehow make sure the most accessed OS files get pre-loaded at boot or does it kind of do that anyway by loading the services and whatnot? It will be a very minimal install so it could easily fit onto my ram.

It shouldn't be an issue, but it will be a little slow form time to time or when you do things OS related stuff. I don't know if you catch my drill.

to save on heating systems through the winter

I'm expecting updates and installing packages to be slower of course but that will be rare and slow updates doesn't really interfere with it's primary use, file server and transcoding for which I have SSDs for. Just trying to figure out if I've thought this through or end up ditching the idea after spending too many hours on it.
Would it be fair to say that /var/log/ will be the only folder being written to regularly?

A hub on USB3 may still be better than USB2. Never mind a pci card with 4 more USB ports is like $10 in China anyhow.

But you could try USB2 and judge for yoyrself if it works for your use case.

What will be accessed / written to depends a lot on what you are doing and how much your machine can buffer / cache in RAM. Very hard to tell as such. Could be a lot more than /var/log (which doesn't tend to generally be a problem and even less so with reasonable journald.)

Thanks lads will bare that in mind. Only one way to find out.

monitor name?

Wowowowowow.

Page 9 wtf

whats the cheapest 1U server i can buy

1u sized cardboard from discarded product boxes with a RPi in it.

Help me get gud guys. What should I add / modify.

From paste.

>Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

It relates to all that kind of questions. Not meant to be rude, just that we can throw random guesses at what do you would need/want forever. Also we don't know how much do you know, so it only makes the matter worse.

I only have a home workstation

I want to erase my existence from the internet as much as possible, minimize my online fingerprint and filter information being sent to third parties.

That's a pretty good start, my friendo. In my basic knowledge I would suggest you to research in firewalls and/or custom software for non-isp routers (like OpenWRT and alikes) or Pfsense and alikes too.

Then anonymity tools like VPS, VPN and/or Tor, although there's anons that think that Tor is not a good tool.

PS: I know a VPS by itself doesn't nothing to anonumity, but it helps and lets you do some things.

Firewall that also has rules to limit outgoing traffic.

Do backups and everything else you need and can provide on your own machines.

For things that leave to the internet, maybe employ encryption so only intended recipients can read the exchanged information. Of course that requires cooperation from those recipients.

yes I have a VPN, I use it all the time at school and over public wifi. I am also using my iCloud email to sign up for services and getting rid of my gmail. I have convinced my gf to use proton mail and a VPN aswell since she likes to watch arabic beheading videos. Deleted social media aswell. I think the FBI is out to get me since I've appeared on InfoWars a few times.

Uh, you can't really particularly make yourself safe enough against states that declare you a target of interest. Kinda just doesn't work, they got too many options. Just hope they play by the rules and break no laws.

Not sure wtf you'd be doing on infowars though, but whatever.

In my opinion you're way ahead from the start. I think there's a paste from this thread that may help you. Other anons will tell you the posters from there are LARPing, but the pasta is a sumarize of good habits, so don't get defeated over checking it.

>>Not sure wtf you'd be doing on infowars though, but whatever.

There is a street war against marxists where I live and the honeypot media known as infowars has plastered my face up so every leftist can find me. I have an AR though so I'm like a modern Yuri to some extent I hope antifags come to my block nigga.

Is this the first of these threads? the pastebins seem to be incomplete.

yeah he fucked up a bit. loyal serverfags are probably still at work.

How hard is it to be a sysadmin? I'm a computer engineering student, have an associates in math and Econ. understand unix and work at a bank. I can have my bank pay for A+ and Network+ certs and want to take the tests soon. Should I quit? Can anyone help a young dude out here?

Wow the type of thread I was looking for I am completely new to this type of thing but I know what I want to have (create?) a Media Center that I would like to have access to for streaming. I am speculating about maybe 2-3 users streaming from it maybe at the same time maybe not.

I want it predominately for movies and TV shows that I have physicals of that I will be ripping and hopefully putting them on this.

Do I need one of these doodads for something like this? I know 4k streaming isn't actually a thing or a big thing yet but it states it has hardware transcoding when needed.

This guy states on the Plex green text that a Pi3 or Ordroid is good but from what I'm describing would that be good?

Thank you for the suggestions if anybody gets around to reading this or replying.

Yra, an ODroid would do fine. Pi3 or older not so sure with 3 video streams.

Am I retarded for thinking about building a server to offer website hosting to local business if I've never done sys admin jobs outside of the one inside my own house?

>The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

If you disable head parking, WD Greens basically *are* WD Reds.

In terms of reliability, though, HGST are better than any other prosumer level options.

Can you guarantee 99.9% uptime?

If I set it up in my house with a USP, I imagine I could get pretty close.

Besides if it's mostly for local business, if the lights are out in the whole town then there won't be that much people looking I'd guess, this isn't a very big city.

Is there market for this sort of stuff outside of hardcore geeks? As in, Is there an industry based on people wanting NAS and this sort of infrastructure in their home?

Supposedly Reds also have better motors and spindles (3D balance bullshit) as well as the firmware changes.

nevermind, I just realized most people would just use netflix / hulu blah blah

depends how you spin it - "a NAS? what the fuck is that?" - "An offline Sharable KODI box? fuck yeah!"

I was considering going into the smart home industry and I thought maybe this would be part of it, idk.

>Am I retarded
Yes. Just rent some VPS from Digitalocean or Vultr and host it there. Thats cheaper and more reliable than from home.

wtf was it? I can see a webm but it doesnt play.

You are about 17 years too late. You can get unlimited shared hosting for a dollar per month. Why should someone buy it any more expensive from you?

Use your debian pi as a network storage device with an external 2 TB drive or some shit.
I have a pi using an external 1TB drive that I use a webserver on and I can upload files from anywhere to it or steam shit to my phone.
I use it as a seed box too for torrents that are on life support I let it trickle to feed them.

In theory yes. But the companies that cater to them realized they can just get monthly subscription fees with * as a service from the suckers. If they are going to advertise something to the usual plebs at all, it's generally that.

Or they maybe sell overpriced appliances like Apple. It's a Time Capsule, user!