Is ARM the future of computing?

I can't give my opinion on it because I don't know shit.

>because I don't know shit
80% of Sup Forums too.

ARM came out 35 years ago and was in one of the most popular Computers at the time, now it's a phone CPUs.

ARM had a future in servers because of Intels bullshit products and prices but AMD is in a position to shut down a good few ARM server venders.
Even then the best ARM cores are still pretty weak compared to x86 so it'll stay in phones for the most part

RISC architecture is gonna change everything.

I'm not sure whether it will be ARM in particular but RISC architectures are definitely the future.

We're near of completing the circle.
Computing started with big warehouse-sized mainframes accessed with terminals.
Then came the personal computing revolution and everyone had a desktop at home.
Now we're back with majority of the population armed with pocket-sized terminals to access the "large mainframe" aka the plethora of internet services provided by big corporations.

The desktop computers are slowly reduced to the role of Workstations, people are incredibly comfortable with laptops and other semi-mobile devices as their sole computing machines.

The next step is of course combo devices that work as a phone and can be plugged in to a dock with HID peripherals (mouse/pointer, keyboard) and a large external screen. We already seen the preview with Ubuntu Convergence, Samsung DeX and Microsoft Infinity (or whatever it was called).

This is pretty much the ideal solution. The biggest thing holding it back is of course the battery technology of today which is not enough to put a device small enough to fit in a regular pocket with enough computing power to regular desktop tasks and enough battery life to last a day.

RISC-V SHALL FREE US FROM THESE BLOATED PROPRIETARY BOTNET DEVICES THEY CALL """PROCESSORS"" !!1! FOSS&H FOR LIVE !!!2!

its probably the future of low-power computing, or at least most of it. that isn't all computing though.

I will never be a fan of the combo device that you dock to connect to a monitor and KB/Mouse. Your right it would be fine for normal users but I just don't like my main computing device to basically be throwaway like a smartphone.

I hope you're right m8.

I think with them becoming mainstream the approach (both user's and manufacturer's) to those devices will change as well.

No, it isn't.
The moment they had to add the first CISC function to ARM chips because they didn't make the cut in smartphones (like hardfloat, NEON etc) was them moment when RISC admitted defeat.

>NEON
Literally the only thing I ever remember NEON being actively used for in smartphones is viper's audio

It's the future of shitposting

it's great for phones but garbage for anything else.

no, dataflow architectures are

yeah, but i've been browsing Sup Forums for around a year now and other user's say that there still are some proprietary firmware in hardware. does it really change anything or does risc-v eliminates this problem? i should've done a bit more research probably...

No RISC on it's own is shit.

CISC processors with RISC accelerators for the end consumer is always better on the long end in terms of speed and efficiency.

So, again the most popular CPU.

It's the "now" of personal computing, because personal computing has largely moved to Android.

Beyond that who knows. It's possible that it'll take the lower computation power servers next (such as thos acting as a storage node for a storage cloud). We'll see.

pcsx rearmed uses it

Throwaway paradigm is coming down. Hardware isn't getting that much better per cycle anymore.

Embedded system nigga

There's only so much stuff like Z80-derivative can do and now that we're getting into the IoT kinda thingy, even stuff like cash registers and automated gates needed to upgrade from current 8-bit ICs

>I'm not sure whether it will be ARM in particular
They're absolutely everywhere in high-end embedded. ARM cores are very competitive in terms of MIPS per Watt and FLOPS/W, and that's two very important metrics. x86 (and extensions) has the edge in raw performance, but is a power-hungry bitch, and that really fucking hurts in mobile applications (battery power) and big servers (cooling).

Pretty sure it's RISC so basically all you need to know is the processor takes less time decoding the instructions it's given which makes it more efficient for power less efficient for memory usage. It's well suited for phones and embedded systems not much else.

He's wrong

There are two options. Some corptel finds a way to lawyer around any licenses and patent original work that becomes crucial to the ISA (ala AMD64) or they just don't develop for the ISA at all because it's not feasible for making money. It has no future

It's already been a significant part of embedded/low-power computing for decades, the only people treating it as some novel new x86 killer are phone cucks who didn't know shit about computers before lagdroid marketers started shilling the superficial specifications to them to get them to buy more shit they didn't need.
>most popular Computers
Maybe if you were British.
x86 decode hasn't mattered for shit in like 20 years as transistor budgets continued to double while the hardware stayed the same.

What Sup Forums autists don't understand is that your niche use case is irrelevant.

ARM is the future because 95% of normies are using their PC as a facebook machine, maybe they will do some minor office work. The most computational intense thing they would be doing is watching a HD video.

None of that requires much CPU/graphics power and can be done on ARM no problem for 10% of the cost and power utilization.

nuuuuuuu!

It probably is going to be the dominant architecture of everything in 15-30 years.

Its power efficiency is a strong point obviously with the mobile market.

The point that, IMO, goes unnoticed is how incredibly scalable the architecture is. There are ARM CPU's ranging from 5 cent micro-controllers all the way up to cores for super computers and server farms.

It's licensing is extremely appealing. Companies can buy an ARM core(s) to stamp onto their package. Then the company can bundle own proprietary IO/peripherals to the cores. This is proving to be a very desirable trait in many markets.

Additionally, companies know new improved ARM cores will be made so they know that hardware upgrades will be available in the future. Other architectures like PowerPC are going out of favor partially because know one knows if they can get upgraded parts in 5-10 years.

ARM NO GAME
INTEL GAME

I've always liked Arm so I kinda hope so.

Who knows though

This but you're honest OP
> Dear diary, today, OP wasn't a faggot. That's rare enough to be stanced

ARM's dominated that shit for years already, it's practically the x86 of embedded systems. A shitty patch-on-patch architecture that only exists because a bunch of dead/retired people picked it for a successful product 30 years ago and nothing good enough has come around to usurp it.

Yeah RISC is good...

Maybe. They're cheap and everywhere.

She was right. x86-64 chips more or less have a RISC microarchitecture these days.

This, RISC won decades ago