Is there any reason to limit the sample rate to 1000000Hz...

Is there any reason to limit the sample rate to 1000000Hz? It's a useful tool for decoding simple RF signals and a lot of SDRs are capable of much higher sample rates. I tried a 20000000Hz file after editing the audacity source and it seems to work just fine.

I don't know what you are doing but don't you only need a sample rate high enough to detect the frequencies you care about?

humen ear cannot hear more than 20000hz so 44100 is overkill

Have you considered that a general purpose destructive audio editor may not the correct tool for that job?

>I don't know what "general purpose" means

N Y Q U I S T
T N Y Q U I S
S T N Y Q U I
I S T N Y Q U
Q U I S T N Y
Y Q U I S T N
N Y Q U I S T

The nyquist-shannon sampling theorem says otherwise.

These are for my dog.

It defends that you mong

On this topic, I got a WAV file that is 44Khz and I need it downsampled to 8KHz, what's an easy way to do that in Python?

No it doesn't.
TL;DR: You need twice the rate because otherwise you could record a neutral value and mistake that for silence at this discrete value.

goldwave is much more useful desu
I've generated and saved many amplitude modulated (even primitively encoded) waveforms by using it

even at twice the rate, if sampling is not in sync/phase you could end up with the wrong representation of the signal, it will just be less likely to be noticed by human hearing

Why python? Just use sox to resample.

Why on earth are you trying to use audacity for RF spectrum analysis? Just use spektrum or something.

Did you just make this thread to jack off?

Yes, I set my sample rate to 20 Million samples/second which is already much higher than I need.

It's actually a fantastic tool to process a raw file and get square waves or a bit-sequence out of it.

For simple OOK modulated signals, you can do your job in audacity in under a minute. It's also a lot easier to slice and dice your signals in Audacity.

while it's true the final version need not exceed 40,000Hz, audacity is a sound /editor/. you want overhead while editing, so that changes you make don't end up below ideal

file a bug report (feature request)
maybe they just didn't consider high frequency signal analysis in their sound editor

Already submitted a pull request with an explanation of my use-case.

cool, that's how it's done
/someone/ has to be the first to identify and add any new feature/change

Idiots.