Audiophile audio players

audiophile audio players
I would assume that headphones are going to be a more effective money to quality ratio as far as getting better sound. After getting decent headphones, is it worth investing in a player with a high quality audio chip? Pic related: creative zen

Other urls found in this thread:

kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5407471
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3741905
burningtheground.net
dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=R.E.M.
dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=r.e.m.&album=document
tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74223541#74223541
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>being at audiophile on the go

i love my FLAC collection but just get some 320kb/s mp3s on there and find some decent earbuds

>MP3
Heh.. Really? If it's not 24 bit/192khz vinyl rips why even bother?

Some songs in lower quality sound better.

xDuoo X10, Shanling M2s.

Dude, do you even DSD? And don't forget them magic cables.

no totally incorrect real audiophiles have a saying "source is everything" headphones are just diaphram and a coil
do what makes you happy
i have 2tb of 24/96 24/192 pcm and its painfull to use on the go... the magic format is 24/48 i had to down-convert my library to 24/48 to work on my iphone and it sounds just as good and the file size are far more managable and you can still have a decent library. Apple got it right.
voodoo
I have alot of DSD and its pretty meh unless you go out of your way to play it natively. A loof DSD dacs still just convert it to PCM and arent doing it natively. They shouldnt but i find alot DSD to PCM sounds brassy.... i much prefer high bitrate PCM and it seems the industry is pivoting back in thaat direction

i have listened to astel and kerns with audeze isines and 24/48 on my iphone 6 and KZ iems with a good eq are 95% of it.....

kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6s-plus-audio-quality.htm

Here's a tip. Get rid of your placebo collection. The format is fucking stupid, unless they use a different master. Just downmix them to 44.1 or 48, whatever, and save space.

that was actually the entire point of my rant...i love 24/48 and anything more is waste of space on the go imho

its an incredibly technical subject but bitdepth is where all the audio gains have been made the past decade...increasing sample rate just makes the files stupidly big...

its a big jump going from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 ... 192khz, 384khz gets you very little; i even have some 32/768 recordings from an RME fireface

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5407471

>anything more is waste of space on the go imho
It's a waste of space all the time.

>its a big jump going from 16/44.1 to 24/44.1
Jump in what? File size? That's it.

Have you read this: people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html ?
If so what do you think?

Where do you get 24/48 source?

I agree bit depth is nice

>OH GEEEZ he posted that xiph.org article again ....

the "24bit is a meme" meme needs to die. its the fucking future and i dont see anybody on Sup Forums complaining their screens have "too many bits of colour"... graphics people are cheered for increasing their resolutions (4k) and bit depths (hdr) but dare do that to audio and your instantly a creaky old audiophile with orgonite stuck to cables and magic dots on your wall - give me a break

what you haters need to understand is that this is not a zero sum game. This bitdepth thing is just not some arbitrary setting in DAW where the waveform doesnt change. There is more information translating to more punch in the real world. Here have a look at the dynamics 16 vs 24bit of my iphone 6s... i get a few more Db and thats what i hear. When i play good unmolested by loudness 45rpm 12" 24 vinyl rips it drives harder and i get more punch... its dynamics.. and its just something very illusive to hear if all you have been playing 16bit remasters that have been absolutely hammered by loudness.

i use jriver media centre to resample my library from 24/192 and DSD to 24/48. Its very good because it uses the new SoX converter which is really good. I have to anyway considering all my rips are a huge .wavepack file and a .cue (frustrating if you like to mix in tracktor)

forgot picture

Ok cool but where do you buy dsd albums?

i downloaded the entire depeche mode SACD discography with the single click of a magnet link. I already purchased their discography several times so i am entitled.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3741905

Also if you love 24bit and 80's, Pauls blog will make you cry sweet tears of joy.

burningtheground.net

>i dont see anybody on Sup Forums complaining their screens have "too many bits of colour
Not an argument
Graphics are graphics, sound is sound.

And pls... As if vinyl has even has the dynamics and resolution to take advantage of whatever edge 24-bit and whatever sampling rate beyond 44.1 you happen to use.

>16bit remasters that have been absolutely hammered by loudness
>remasters
Now there's the culprit.

Ever done any side-by-side comparisons? Take a hi-res vinyl and downsample it to 16/44.1 and try if you can tell them apart in a blind test.

Now for recording and processing, there's definite benefits in working in higher resolutions, but for consumer audio, I'm not that convinced honestly.

>that fucking xiph article I've never read, or even watched the video with it. Heh. Pfft, I mean psschhh, really? I mean come on!
>comparing graphics to sound
If your dumbass placebo makes you happy then so be it, keep falling for marketing tricks.
said what I wanted to, but I just wanted to add a Fuck you.

>Ever done any side-by-side comparisons

Yes thats why i highly recommend going to burningtheground.net

This guy is amazing. 45rpm 12" are as close as we can get to that big thicc master tape. These are legitimately the highest quality rips of some the best sounding music ever made. Available for free in 24bit flac 16bit flac and 320kbps mp3... check it compare and enjoy the tunes Sup Forumsuys

burningtheground.net

>45 records in 24 bit
Why? I don't actually know much about 45s, I can only assume they are like regular LPs. Records have a dynamic range of 60-80dbs according to wikipedia. What is the point of having 24 bits with a depth of 144, when the source can reach 80 at best, even 90? Can your DAC even do 144? or anything near?

listen up kiddo, i have been recording and listening to 24 bit for the past decade. I have read that xiph article many times and it doesnt hold a candle to a decade of my personal experience with hi-res audio. You guys dont even cite anything, or make an argument. You just post that one xiph.org link and then may may le 24bit le meme

>fucking xiphposters

>Search By Artist
>That whole list

literally who

this player is very expensive for how much storage space it has, does anyone know about its THD rating or SnR?
Any1 have any thoughts on earbuds, the in ear things rather than over ear large ones (easier to workout with)

>listen up kiddo
you lost the argument right there

45 rpm is closest to the mastertape we can get, because there was plenty of space for wide grooves and big dynamics, some times they had to compress things to make the groove smaller for 33rm, and now some of the master tapes have deteriorated and been damaged

then there the madness of the loudness war and even modern hi-res 24/192 and vinyl re-releases have been squished... look at what happened to REM's document over time...its insane !

dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=R.E.M.

re: measurements wise vinyl shouldnt sound good but it does.. just have a listen to some of those rips at burning the ground they are free ... they are the best recordings i have ever heard...

> xiphposter xiphposting again

Everything aside, you helped me discover a cool Talking Heads 12" vinyl single thing.

oooops wrong link ...

this is dynamic range of document gettting squished year to year even on fucking vinyl

dr.loudness-war.info/album/list/year?artist=r.e.m.&album=document

i thought people were crazy going out of their way to find first pressings... not anymore

its all about the music man, hope you enjoy, pauls blog is bretty gud ;)

>placebophile "lalala can't hear you"'ing again
tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-19.html

> reads your toms hard article
> finds out xiphposter BTFO himself

that article was comparing very modern gear not 24bit vs 16bit formats and hot dang the blind listener still guessed all of them correctly...seriously man [pic related]

nice cherrypicking retard.

it's not like everyone has access to the article or anything.

who woulda thunk that he could get things right in a non-blind test, and get them immediately wrong again in the blind test?

>not 24bit vs 16bit formats
and last thing, learn how to read before posting ever again.

>on the go
>restricted to earbuds or closed back headphones
>a couple of songs with FLAC vs the entire library in some lossy format

Chances are, if you got yourself some nice headphones, you aren't going to be using them outside of your house. Also, since we're going into "Audiophile placebo technology, cable risers, you can't hear the difference" territory, the DAC of the portable better be a damn good one if you're just going to store FLACs, otherwise what's the point, not to mention if you need an AMP or not.

tl;dr it's not really worth it. Just use your phone. Stick to MP3 or OPUS/OGG for portable.

number one - it wasnt A/B it was A/B/C/D which meants there was 75% chance of being NOT CORRECT

secondly they were testing the gear not the recordings, that reducing the wordlength thing was not scientific and just pasted on as anecdote

i read your articles, but that doesnt change the fact im getting near 2tb of 24 bit flac that according to you i collected "dellusionaly"

>wordlength thing was not scientific
Do you not understand what 24-bit and 16-bit are you retard? Why are you even on Sup Forums?

>listener says it's mostly luck
>completely failed second time
>completely failed every other task
are you intentionally being dumb?

>changes wordlength
> doesnt specify types of dither used (none ?
/ Triangular Probability Density Function ?)
> based on one opinion of one recording

dont be a dick, they were blind testing gear, not formats and you say i am cherry picking... ffs

>dont be a dick
>ffs
I see you're not a regular, so go back to whatever headfi placebo forum and never come back. If you cant tell a difference in physical hardware you sure as hell are not going to tell the difference between 24 and 16 bit audio files.

Wait what's the difference between FLAC and vinyl Rips?

This is getting fucking stupid. I am not going to argue the specifics of some toms hard hardware shootout you have twisted to support le 24bit is shit may may

I have really good gear, terrabytes of hi-res and can fucking simulate this right here right now on the fly in my media player [pic related]

16bit looses dynamics and sounds a bit canny, i know the sound... i can pick any bitrate i want and any dither mode... just thank god we didnt stuck with 14bit like phillips originally wanted

>that disgusting UI
Are you 12? And nobody cares how much you spend on placebo gear or how much storage you waste on bloat files. Go jerk off in a forum that cares

> technical discussion of 24bit audio
> shows 16bit conversion on the fly
> User Interface Ad hominem

I think by going your Ad hominem you just lost the argument

Where do you get your dsf files at? Also Jrive is the best, worth every penny.

yeh its the best, last 3 high end hi-fi shops i walked into got talking, told them i used it and they were like "BRO!" and i was like "BRO!" and we were like "BRO!"

my DSF ? mainly some public russian tracker that has taken on the mantle from what.cd... if anything happens to it i will literally kill myself

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74223541#74223541

>cryllic is the ultimate pleb filter

So do they have a section specifically for DSD or just that thread?

Holy mother of fucking god, they have so much,

Is that the 12" g4? Man i miss that little fella, keyboard was goat.

yes like a women opening her legs, or the unlocking of the kingdom of heaven ...treat it gud ebin :D

yeha put that there as easter egg, just made a 24v powersupply for it and CF ide replacement and debian ppc .. was gonna show the soy boys at the cafe how its done

>They have Kiasmos in flac

They have "EveryTang"

>creative zen
nigger this was my shit back in school. all the faggots had ipods and every single one of them thought my zen was the coolest thing around. I will always have a sweetspot for it.

>my zen was the coolest thing around

why what could it do ?

so does anyone have a music player that can resample to 16bit on the fly and end this faggotry ?

Some times having a dap is nice even for just mp3 files. Sounds alot better then my Moto z.

But don't get one of the cheap daps. They are not really an upgrade on a phone.

>headphones are just diaphram and a coil
lolwut

LG G6/V30 + a decent IEM is the way to go.

>MFW music shills in the next decade try to capitalize on nostalgia shits by selling 96 -
128 kbps bitrate MP3s for that authentic late 90s / early 00s sound

i saw those, are they good ? seemed pricey, i listened to audeze isine and campfire audio at my local hi fi shop....they got memed here for a little while but above my paygrade... its ok i got digital crossovers and big hifi

yeah thats what they are... im simplifying it... but compared to black magic voodoo in a modern dac relatively simple, and what all the old guys at the hifi store i visited in the 90's were right, source quality is everthing

i agree

blah meh, in the next decade my luddite mom will be streaming 24bit lossless through some fucking app and wont even know about and i wont have anything left to feel patrician about for technology would of been perfected (she never used a computer when i was growing up and i caught her streaming streaming spotify on her phone the other day when i visited )

They have ~5ohm OI they will fuck CA IEMs up.
The only meme I'll ever fall for again is earphones in general. DAC/amp/format are all memes compared to the difference provided by earphones, and there's fuckall I can do about mastering.

The iem or the player?
At $200 for a Chinese iem I was taking a risk. I do like them alot and they have a filter system to change the sound. For me they were very much worth it.

No DRM on zen.

Is this the new /PMP/?

Looking to get a PC audio setup. Was thinking a Bic F12, a set of Bic DV62's, and a SMSL SA50. Is everything gonna play nice together if i get these? Anything worth replacing in this list for something else (Pretty set on the F12)?