How much code can I expect developers to write in a day? I had two developers write a single function today...

How much code can I expect developers to write in a day? I had two developers write a single function today, and we can't even use it. I write a lot, what's normal?

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/966800/mythical-man-month-10-lines-per-developer-day-how-close-on-large-projects
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Quantity is what matters
What matters is functionality you fucking monglord, writing 10,000 lines of useless boilerplate code isn't worth a goddamn thing.

If you can't construct an application with a single line of code, you're pathetic.

stackoverflow.com/questions/966800/mythical-man-month-10-lines-per-developer-day-how-close-on-large-projects

>One function
What function? you know context matters, some things are more demanding that others.

>brainlet management thinking he knows how to do the job better than the people he hired because he couldn't do it himself
Some days I spent writing a total of 10 lines, only because I spent the day bug testing.

that job will be obsolete in less than 3 years from now.
AI will write that shit and you will be homeless drunktard.

A function which parses a CSV file and validates the output. They didn't finish the validator, just made a stub. We can't use the pattern of parsing and then validating it with this test and the interface isn't good. They also didn't document it and took the rest of the day to think when I asked them for an example.
But I completed more by any metric today. I made a lot of bad structure more elegant and documented the new test layers. I finished a whole ticket and documented everything I did. I helped other developers get past blockers. I wrote a lot and I removed 75% of what I wrote.

People in 70s though that Robots will take over their jobs, it only took 40 years for that to be somewhat true. Same will happen with AI.

35% of all articles on the internet in 2016 was not human

and 90% of articles are shit also about 985/3495 percent of all stats are pulled out of your ass.

>I made a simple protein in 30 years., obviously it'll only take 30 more years to make a human

Shpuld take 60-120 mins to write a csv parser. It's literally comma delimited lines.

If they are junior or just out of uni i would expect them to take a few days but mid should be done in an hour or so.

I should mention we're writing tests (tech debt left for us, project owner's idea to backfill), I let that slip through a bit and made my post confusing.

They used a third party library we already have installed as a basis, which does it in one line and we already have installed. I literally have no idea what they were doing.
One of the developers working on it is full time and I've been working with him for 1.5 years, one is a co-op who has been with us for 6 months.

The problem is someone somewhere HAS to tell what they want to something. Nothing can appear out of no where. Some AI won't instantly create a solution for a problem only you needed.

And in the case some AI is efficient enough to understand voiced commands and write codes, people still have to further develop and maintain it.

I'm going to frame this image and put in on my wall as a conversation piece. The existential torment I think even surpasses pic related

Some many causes could have slowed your developpers down in that day. A single event isn't enough to assess their liability.

How do they do in general? Are they the first developpers you ever hired? Is the work they produce satisfactory most of the time?

I wrote 8 lines of code today.

It was just cosmetic front end shit.

I was in meetings until 12 :(

wrong, csv is not standardised and there are lots of edge cases

people on Sup Forums say that most of the time you will be maintaining someone else code. Like a human debugger and garbage collector.

>AI will do trade jobs
>AI will do self programming
>SI will make accountability and economics
>AI will manage communications
>AI will do self research
>AI will make wars

what the hell are we gonna do then?

>many causes could have slowed your developers
Communication and collaboration has been very good this sprint. I know they had the resources, direction, and support to do a lot more.
>in general
I have noticed poor grasp of first principles from both of them, and poor comprehension when I attempt to reinforce something. I have also noticed a lackluster attention to both detail and underlying design, and failure to improve on these points despite communication.
>Are they the first developers
One was hired at the same time as me, one was in the most recent batch of hirees.
>Is the work they produce satisfactory
I would say no.

Again, I'm not sure if all of this is from overly-high expectations, or just my own inability to harness their skills.

They were basing it off of a third-party library.

love the grammar on that pic
holy shit if you (not necessarily you, user) are going to write something to sound superior then you'd better not speak like a retarded ESLer

pull yourself up by your bootstraps, user

>In early 1982, the Lisa software team was trying to buckle down for the big push to ship the software within the next six months. Some of the managers decided that it would be a good idea to track the progress of each individual engineer in terms of the amount of code that they wrote from week to week. They devised a form that each engineer was required to submit every Friday, which included a field for the number of lines of code that were written that week.

>Bill Atkinson, the author of Quickdraw and the main user interface designer, who was by far the most important Lisa implementor, thought that lines of code was a silly measure of software productivity. He thought his goal was to write as small and fast a program as possible, and that the lines of code metric only encouraged writing sloppy, bloated, broken code.

>He recently was working on optimizing Quickdraw's region calculation machinery, and had completely rewritten the region engine using a simpler, more general algorithm which, after some tweaking, made region operations almost six times faster. As a by-product, the rewrite also saved around 2,000 lines of code.
>He was just putting the finishing touches on the optimization when it was time to fill out the management form for the first time. When he got to the lines of code part, he thought about it for a second, and then wrote in the number: -2000.

>I'm not sure how the managers reacted to that, but I do know that after a couple more weeks, they stopped asking Bill to fill out the form, and he gladly complied.

How do I study AI maintenance so I won't be made useless and can still work on maintaining AI as they write our code?

I have already expressed in this thread how the lack of content goes beyond amount of code written

>60-120 mins to write a csv parser
what the fuck? is this the state of Sup Forums?