Raven Ridge - Overclockable?

What does Sup Forums think?

Will Ryzen R7 2700U and Ryzen R5 2500U be overclockable?

I myself use an old laptop with an Llano based cpu, a a6 3420m. This bad boy might normaly be a shitty piece of garbage with it's 32nm process, 2 modules & 4 "cores", 35-41W TPD and a base frequency of just 1.5Ghz (can go down to 0.8) and a garbage boost to 2.4Ghz.

However, even though this cpu is normaly a piece of trash you can overclock it, making it less shitty. I managed 2.8Ghz max but this wasn't stable and the temperatures were a bit high even for amd standards, so 2.6Ghz is the max stable oc with reasonable temperatures (below 80°C), both using a software called "FusionTweaker". But a problem remained: by switching the power source the computer crashed. By using Amd Overdrive i archieved a max oc of 2.3Ghz without this problem but also without any voltage control (shitty interface). Still, these 800Mhz do make a serious difference:
Stock: userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4590473
[email protected]: userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4589067

Back to the topic: Would amd be so kind to release the raven ridge apu's unlocked and allowed overlocking? All Ryzen chips they released so far were unlocked, why should their mobile chips be different? Wouldn't a unlocked ryzen 7 beat the fuck out of the normaly competitive bundle of a i7 8550U+MX 150?

Other urls found in this thread:

userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4728104
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why overclock a mobile chip? Even then by AMD slides it already seems to be pretty good.
Anyways, is the 2700u and 2500u the only versions they will release? Maybe a Ryzen 3 4c4t one as well?

Why not overclock it? Sure, not for everyday use, but when i sit down, have my power cable and want to play some games or compile bigger projects being able to remove the restrains the processor is bound to to save energy can be handy and effective. About a year ago i only used this laptop for 6 months for everything i had to do including gaming, which would not be pleasant at all without the overclock.

oc won't be a thing (probably) because laptop manufacturers can't be arsed to give laptops proper cooling or proper vrm (especially those with ultra low voltage cpus). they will probably make a certain cpu for oc (like that laptop i7 chip that is unlocked)
don't get me wrong , it will be great to see because it will make intel release weaker chips with oc support but unless laptop manufacturers improve their cooling it won't be a thing.

>Ryzen 3 4c4t
Please do this AMD.

This would be nice, I am too running my 2009 Acer aspire with T6600 2,2GHz at 2,9GHz. The difference is very noticeable.

My wet dream:
>6c/6t or 6c/12t for high end
>4c/4t or 4c/8t for mid
>2c/4t for low
>2c/2t for toasters

What would most likely happen
>4c/8t for high end
>4c/4t or 2c/4t for mid
>2c/2t for low
>1c/2t because fuck you

wtf am I supposed to do with a 27" mobile CPU?

>implying amd is ever again making cpus with less than 4 cores

Most likely it's only going to be TDP configurable by the OEMs for the cpu, gpu should be able to be overclocked, however. But you're not going to want to overclock anything if you get some ultra thin with cooling designed for 15w of dissipation anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if the TDP is configurable higher than the 25w that's in the.. Acer? I forget which vendor opted for the higher performance profile.

Anyways, with the new boost they're implementing in raven ridge, it should be capable of running fairly decent all core turbos if it goes into a laptop with beefier cooling than what you'd see in an ultra thin. If it works anything like ryzen you really wouldn't want to overclock it anyways because it'll disable all the power saving features. But I suppose with ryzen master you might be able to so long as the OEM puts an overclocking chipset on the mainboard. Either way it'll be worlds better than what you're running right now.

To add to this, here's some 2 month old 2700u benchmark where they broke the turbo at 1.9ghz. (This actually suggests overclocking is an option) userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4728104

You know with fusiontweaker you can set the boost to way higher than the 4 core frequency right?

I ran my a6-3400m at 2.2ghz on 4 cores but it boosts up to 2.9ghz for 1 or 2 cores, this and a lot of voltage tuning was needed to get it stable on both outlet and battery.

I also undervolted it for most of this, it could run at 0.75v for 800mhz.

They are locked, besides, why would you OC them?
The turbo is already fairly aggressive.

>all that in 15W
How the fuck did they do it Sup Forums

Black magic and sacrifices to the dark gods of intel and nvidia

They tried a little.

They sacrificed the poo in chief to intel

They didn't sacrifice him, they offered him a position(demotion) his ego couldn't take, Intel was offering a raise and a fancy new job title.
Raja was great, but he wasn't suited to the executive level role he had.

Some might say intel has taken a poison pill - but in reality you simply don't get into executive management in intel unless you're part of the tribe - Raja will have a member of the tribe (micro)managing him at Intel (for the best, Raja get the micromanagement he needs and the job title he wants)

>Raja was great, but he wasn't suited to the executive level role he had.
Except he probably was and AMD unintentionally lost him. In hindsight the sabbatical leave probably wasn't something Lisa or other execs pressured him into. He took it to negotiate terms with Intel, and honestly closed the deal pretty fast considering he was like halfway through the leave, he clearly planned for more, and even a run-of-the-mill job can take weeks to clear. The pseudo split of the GPU division into RTG under Raja, rumors of him wanting to try to sell it to someone, everything points to Raja making the move away from AMD and not the other way around. Nothing points to AMD being unhappy with him, just delusions of addled minds who have probably never once set foot in a corporate environment. At the very least you don't tell your top department guy to take a quarter-long leave while there's still a ton of work to be done in the race of the end of year drivers. Turmoil like that is terrible for morale and makes people insecure about their job security (if the top guy gets fired, anyone can go next) and it's not something a sane exec would do before Vega's software is even fully ready.

But with Raja leaving I expect things aren't very peachy over at RTG anyway. Not to say people are shaken up or feeling betrayed, it's fucking corporate after all, but I can expect more people looking for a lifeline to Intel if there are opportunities there. I've seen it myself more than a few times, when a lead or senior guy leaves there's a good chance others follow sooner or later.

2-core Ryzen netbook apu when

power management on steroids

Dunno.

On the other note, when are the other RR laptops being released?

CES?
CES.

I need $500 Raven Ridge laptop

Hopefuly user

laptop CPU are underclocked for the battery reasons, heat reasons, power draw reasons

That's the main reason.

use power options. OC has diminishing returns so don't bother.

AMD literally asked (You) to visit their CES booth in their RR slide deck.

>R5 2500U
Kek, I wonder if the guy who thought the model name lurks on Sup Forums and owns an i5 2500k

Doesn't really concern me, as soon as i disconect or connect the power cable my laptop freezes and crashes.

Well look at it this way: At some point you want to play a game which doesn't run to good on such an apu. You remember that your apu has a tdp of 15W, so gpu and cpu have the same power budget. This most likely results in some kind of frequency restrains. It might be posible to boost performance by simply increasing the power target.

No shit. But imagine you're somewhere and you are using your power cable. No battery concerns, no power draw reasons(mostly likely), most of the time laptop manufactures are making their cooling solutions a bit better than they need to be because they do get worse over time when the heat sink gets full of dust. Just cleaning it regulary and using the best voltages for your clocks can often result in oc potential even in cheap laptops (if their processors would allow it).

They just set a limit at 15W and if the cpu and/or gpu are clocking too high the limit the clocks. Easy.

Well maybe the did decrease the cooling and therefore reduced the performace due to thermal throtteling.

Besides, dou you have a run of a normal r7 2700U or r5 2500U ?

>6c/12t + gtx 1060

Please give it to me amd.

Next shrink, pal.

>obviously
If it was obvious, then people would have understood the reasons to not overclock on a laptop model.

Again, overheating is a concern when you're talking about overclocking laptop CPU. Unless you're in an Artic region or a freezer where the laptop cooling system takes care of the extra heat or have modified the laptop for external cooling solutions, this a problem with laptop heat.

>obviously
Laptops are notorious for overheating due to lack of adequete heating in the past.

>obviously
The answer is to use your brain moran and use the proper software tools to monitor your cpu/motherboard/video card/ssd/hdd temperature while you're overclocking the laptop CPU. Its a tight place, any overclock in one part can heat up all other areas and damage them.

I'm writing this on an overclocked laptop, no problem with overheating whatsoever. Like i said, cleaning the heat sink gives me plenty of headroom for overclocking. Running it overclocked for one year, no damage what so ever on any part.

but if you could read you'd know most of that already
>obviously

wait for 4 years

I used to overclock an a6 3420m. Highest I ever got it was 3GHz, ran at 94C though. Still had a hard time emulating Persona 4.

impressive, i fucking wish raven ridge can be ocerclocked as well. I want tu push my notebook processor to 4ghz so hard

Cannot wait for a thinkpad or Precision with Ryzen 2700U and integrated Vega. I'll gladly spend $1200+ to replace my T420

I like my Athlon 5350 and would like 2c4t with no L3 cache, and 1 Vega compute unit.

Those socketed Kabini chips were nice. I have the sempron 3850 1.2ghz quad core and it's quite the capable little chip. Sucks they stopped selling them.

>no L3
But why.
Zen's L3 is extremely power and area efficient.

Big dreams fella, don't think you could handle such a powerfol chip

Does the naming convention of 3, 5 and 7 actually mean anything or is it just to show what it should match with on intels side

For desktop Ryzen sure. It denotes the number of processing threads that part of the Ryzen family offers. Ryzen 3 offers 4 threads, comparable in price/performance to an Intel i3. Ryzen 5 has between 8-12 threads and offers price/performance to an i5. Ryzen 7 offering 16 threads and price/performance of an i7.

my llano lapturd goes to 2.2GHz @ 1.0875V.
boost is off.

For Laptop it's much more like in the old days with r7 and r5 graphics. R7 2700U has 10 Vega CU's, r5 2500U just 7.