A 10-year old root exploit was found in the Unix “man” program used for displaying system documentation

A 10-year old root exploit was found in the Unix “man” program used for displaying system documentation.
The “man trap exploit” is triggered when certain key combinations and escape sequences are triggered in malicious man pages, which would be able to use the screen buffer memory to replay login details. Infected man pages have been found in the core utilities of virtually every Linux and BSD distribution.

“This is shocking”, said security expert Justin Case. “Not only in that it works, but that it has gone undetected for so long.”
Security patches were responsibly disclosed to distribution maintainers 3 months before the time of writing. System administrators are recommended to update to the latest patch in line with good security practices.
“Our main consolation is that the exploit requires you to actually read a man page from start to finish. As that has never in the history of computing actually happened, we’re pretty sure there were no victims.”

Other urls found in this thread:

sudosatirical.com/articles/10-year-old-root-exploit-found-in-man-command/
sudosatirical.com/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>and BSD distribution
MUH SEKURITY

>“man trap exploit”

This is now a trap thread.

>the exploit requires you to actually read a man page from start to finish. As that has never in the history of computing actually happened,
nice, I thought everyone else was reading the whole thing I feel better now

Can't resist those 10-year-olds.

o baby imagine slamming that ass, s(he) is so thin there'd be a bulge so big you'd be able to massage your big end while you're injecting your baby cream

"While OpenBSD already mitigates the exploit through judicious use of pledge in man(1), the team has decided to randomize the content and layout of all man pages…"

>needing/having "man" on your system
This is not a problem for secure environments run by non retards.
I'm serious here, how is this actually a problem for anyone else then the typical "muh rice" Linux fanboy?

>“Our main consolation is that the exploit requires you to actually read a man page from start to finish. As that has never in the history of computing actually happened, we’re pretty sure there were no victims.”
>t. I never used UNIX or related system before 1999
making it obvious, uh?

is there an actual source for this?

it's satire

I read the entire manpage for pacman how fucked am I

just so they can say nobody reads man pages?
who am i kidding, this is just so op can make a trap thread

How does it get root? it runs as your user

The joke requires you to read the post from start to finish. Since that didn't happen, we're pretty sure no one got it.

I think that irony is funnier than the OP.

Checked

>>Security patches were responsibly disclosed to distribution maintainers 3 months before the time of writing.
I'm guessing it's fix'd.

>“Our main consolation is that the exploit requires you to actually read a man page from start to finish. As that has never in the history of computing actually happened, we’re pretty sure there were no victims.”
ha ha ha, so funny.
I read whole man pages from section 3 all the time.
>Understand the interfaces which you are coding to! Most of the security (or simply bug) issues we audited out of our source tree are just that. The programmer in question was a careless slob, not paying attention to the interface he was using. The repeated nature of the same classes of bugs throughout the source tree, also showed us that most programmers learn to code by (bad) examples. A solid systems's approach should not be based on "but it works". Yet, time and time again, we see that for most people this is the case. They don't care about good software, only about "good enough" software. So the programmers can continue to make such mistakes. Thus, I do not feel all that excited about writing a book which would simply teach people that the devil is in the details. If they haven't figured it out by now, perhaps they should consider another occupation (one where they will cause less damage).
-Theo de Raadt

>using man instead of just copy pasting from stackoverflow

>b-but m-m-muh ppppeer review

>be random guy
>read man source code
>find exploit noone else noticed
>keep it a secret
>spend the next decade shitting on all linux systems that I come across
incorperate it into a literal botnet
>use as privilege escalation
>mfw by bot doesn't need sudo
wew lads

>no links
Fabricated story

>link posted twice
>still fabricated

>same link, exact same text as posted in OP
>no secondary sources
>in fact no sources at all
>no reference to bug anywhere on the internet

>I fuck men in the ass. My dick is a turd spatula. I have consumed human feces during a sex act.
-Theo de Raadt

look at other posts on that site, they're all jokes/satire

>the site has satire in its name it must be satire
Back to l eddit.

>man has a bug that allows screen buffer memory replay
That's not how screen buffers work, not to mention that modern computers use graphic cards now and no longer write directly to screen buffers.

>"""bug""" is nicknamed "man trap"
Come on, this is an obvious give away.

where did i say that?

also;
sudosatirical.com/about/
>"Everything here is for the purpose of satire and that is rather obvious… "

I'm not even the original person you were talking too

that was a response to the contents of one post only, can't not be the person i was responding to

>security expert Justin Case
kek
nice bait user

>can't not be

what an absolute shit thread

sauce and chilli please

better bump it then, fucking idiot

yea, everyone on this board deserves to see this absolute garbage

>Justin Case
come on, retards