Is the physical keyboard worth the loss of screen?

Is the physical keyboard worth the loss of screen?

i've got a keyone, theres more space on the screen than a phone with an onscreen keyboard.

No.

On which carrier? Any issues you notice? How's the other stuff like battery life, camera, etc? It has a microSD right? I was considering the keyone as my next device. Does BB bring anything unique to the table for Android? Any of that fabled BB based security features?

Yes, but like have said, you actually don't sacrifice screen space, because using the physical keyboard allows you to view the full screen even when you're typing. See pic. Using software keyboard wastes more space on the screen, even though it sounds as a paradox.

Is this always you, OP? I can reply at some questions.
> how's battery life
Excellent. Full battery charge lasts me 2 days and half on heavy usage and screen brightness set to minimum level. Some services like Blackberry Hub drinks battery quite fast though. So far I haven't noticed any anomalous consumption of battery.

> microSD
Yes it has.

> BB security
Both BB DTEK and BB Passwords are great apps.

I've forgotten the pic.

No, that shit's not even much better than an on-screen keyboard.

Either slide-out or nothing.

>theres more space on the screen than a phone with an onscreen keyboard

But you are not always using the keyboard like when watching videos.

I'm the user asking question. Nope, not OP. Thanks for the heads up. do you use Android full system encryption by chance ? Password protected start up? If so, any problems? Slow down or performance loss? And how would you say the Priv stacks up against the keyone or keyone black edition?

Because a regular keyone unlocked is $500, black edition is $700, but I can get a new factory unlocked Priv from Amazon for $230

From what I know the priv has horrible battery life, performance and won't be updated to android 7-8.

I do get some ram related slowdowns on my non-black edition but clearing the apps in the background often stops this.

Hmm. Ok. Thanks for the insight. I'll probably wait until the black edition comes down in price. I have my V20 until then. Was just excited about the prospect of a modern phone with good keyboard.

But you don't buy a Keyone for watching videos or playing games. The average user of a Keyone knows that those kinds of leisure activities should be done on more appropriate devices, like monitors or tablets.

>do you use Android full system encryption by chance ?
Yes, DTEK automatically enables encryption for you.
> Password protected start up? If so, any problems?
No, I'm simply using a swipe gesture. I never tried password unlock, but the fingerprint sensor on the keyboard works very well.
> Slow down or performance loss?
No. I never reached more than 2.2 GB of RAM and even then I didn't notice any slowdown.
> And how would you say the Priv stacks up against the keyone or keyone black edition?
I never used the Priv, but as far as I know the Priv won't get Android 7 updates. So the Keyone should be more future proof.
>Because a regular keyone unlocked is $500
I got mine new at €460. I'm sure that you can find better offers in your country though.

yes

Why would anyone pick this over a priv, the keypad isn't even slide-out

>4:3 perfect ration
>with a keyboard

To not have to face the annoyance of a software keyboard hiding your content erratically or taking ages to appear for whatever reason? Yes.

>slide-out portrait keyboard instead of landscape

Priv was a mistake.

no but extra thickness is worth a slide out imo.

No. I have a had a phone with a HW kb.
It's not even faster. Software keyboards are faster thanks to suggestions, swiping and easier access to symbols.

Blackberry keyboards likethe OP have had suggestions and swiping for years my dude

But the keyone is the same thing, but with a smaller screen and no option to hide the keyboard

Well I know that I'll grab one of those.
I want feedback while typing.

Yes

It's 3:2

Certainly.

>But you don't buy a Keyone for watching videos or playing games. The average user of a Keyone knows that those kinds of leisure activities should be done on more appropriate devices, like monitors or tablets.

The only games I play on my phone are rougelikes so a phone like the Keyone is better at gaming for me. It's still garbage for runing Android.

Yes, we need more moving parts so more shit can break.

Because the PRIV has a Snapdragon 808 that throttles when you use the device for anything, has shit battery life and won't get Android 7.

Nobody uses Android 7 and the phone is fine in speed.

>I don't use it, therefore nobody does

Would've bought it had I been able to root the device and run f-droid apps (and have the ability to install an adblocker)

Most people are still on 5, this is relatively well known. I'm on 6, but it's basically the same desu

I'd get one, if only it would

A. support custom roms (I fully understand why they don't do this)

B. offer a completely Google-free version (or google-free official Rom)

Looked at the store today and it's quite lovely. It's a shame that Blackberry didn't went with their own Android fork like Amazon or Xiaomi. A real shame.

> it's still garbage for running Android
Oh now I see where your argument comes from...nice point!

> run f-droid apps
What? Its run f-droid apps well. I'm using Clover right now to type this comment. Pic shows f-droid's main page.
> adblocker
It totally depends on the web browser, Keyone's OS doesn't matter at all here.

Pic forgotten