/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Consider Vega if you have a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2N493F
evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6255-RX
pcpartpicker.com/product/dWL7YJ/asrock-ab350m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350m-pro4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best mobo and Ram for Ryzen 1600?

We used to have a package system for silence using Cooler-Master Silencos where I worked. It definitely reduced a lot of noise but it's not an amazing case other than the sound proofing (and price).

Cheapest 3200MHz 8GB/16GB kit.
Cheapest B350 that's not MSI
idk depends where you live and what you want to do with it.

1600 or 1600x

get an ASRock B350 Pro and the cheapest Samsung B Die RAM you can find

Rebumping for this

Also what is the best tempered glass case in WHITE? Is a white tower over rated? I see everyone with a black case, silver/grey looks even worse.

Cheap build for dad.
Browsing, office work, light CAD use, pontentially some very ocassional light gaming.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/2N493F

Not sure how useful a GPU is for CAD. Another possibility is a Ryzen 1200 build, it's a bit more expensive though.

Is the N-case a meme? I genuinely like the small foot print. Going to put a 1070 in it and will probably be the last computer I build.

.Willing to take suggestions from anyone using a mini -itx board.

1200 will likely have more longevity than the Pentium, I'd say make the switch and go for a lower tier GPU since your dad is probably not a gamer

evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-6255-RX $120 shipped, should I pick this up over a 1060 3gb?

AMD NO GAME
INTEL GAME

don't get a 2core, possibly go for 1200
remember to check all the european versions of pcpartpicker to compare prices and order from where it's cheapest, usually shipping will be similar/free regardless of where in EU it's ordered
spend the extra few bucks on an 850 evo
consider spending extra on a 1050ti so you don't run out of VRAM

if you really can't afford rx 580 8gb/4gb or 1060 6gb, yes

Have the Micro-ATX black version of pic related, and it does not come with screws/holes to secure the Glass to the case. There is only hinge at the back and magnet on the front. Not sure about the ATX variant though.

Okay so I am a extremely Poorfag.

I'm from Mexico recently got the money I needed for my build but luckily for me peso went from 17 a dólar to almost 20 a dolar anyway because of that and ram being so expensive I can only buy a gtx 1050ti and 8gb of ram or gtx 1060 3gb and 4gb of ram?

Wich one should I buy?

What do you want to play? at what resolution?

>tfwyr7-1700X will do 3.8ghz @ 1.125v prime95 stable
>Tfw it won't go any higher than 3.8ghz even with 1.45v

I guess it's an ok feel. 3.8ghz while staying sub 50C at 100% prime95 load isn't bad.

Let's just get this straight now that the dust has settled
>i5 8600k
Best chip right now PERIOD
Better that i7 ,
Runs cooler
Runs faster
Better value

>why debate
Stop with krabby lake or poozen coffee is the future

Is this a good system to buy for $1000?

Ryzen 7 1700
16gb ram
500gb ssd + 2x 1tb hdd
Gtx 1070

Would be lightly used as the owner did not have time to play any games

as someone currently only using 4gb beecause one of my sticks is DOA
4gb is LITERALLY UNUSABLE
at idle, system uses about 2gb, this means going up to 8gb TRIPLES the amount you can use on things like games
some games simply don't launch with 4gb and others have huge stutters.

not to mention 1060 3gb is a dead card anyway.

Did you listen to Sup Forums by any chance?
>"lmao dont get the 1800x dumbfuck just OC the 1700"
t. Sup Forums every day

1080p fallout 4 btf1 or atleast 4 shadow of Mordor the forest.
Dark souls

throw all the components you know it has in pcpartpicker and look at the price it says

if he does not mention any of the parts specifically (especially the PSU), consider them horrible parts and just picture having to replace them.

>at idle, system uses about 2gb
GNU/Linux with Retina display doesn't have this problem

FO4 is a shit game and the minimum requirements are 8gb ram

1050ti vs 1060 3gbVRAM is a discussion to have
1050ti & 8gb of ram vs 1060 3gbVRAM & 4gb of ram is no discussion whatsoever

That's not bad at all. What kind off SSDs? What power supply?
>Buying the unlocked model

Yea ok. I was with you that the i5-8400 and decent H370 board (when they come out) is the best performer for the price.
Nah. At microcenter, the R7-1700 and the R7-1700X were the same price. Except the 1700X gave me $100 off any compatible motherboard vs only $50 off with the non X 1700. I got my Asus X370 crosshair VI for $120. I was an early adapter as well and then, the 1800X was $500 while my 1700X was $300

Why is it a dead card?

>Nah. At microcenter, the R7-1700 and the R7-1700X were the same price. Except the 1700X gave me $100 off any compatible motherboard vs only $50 off with the non X 1700. I got my Asus X370 crosshair VI for $120. I was an early adapter as well and then, the 1800X was $500 while my 1700X was $300
Good choice.
I wouldn't buy the 1800X either. It's 500€ here. Just saying that Sup Forums is wrong when they act like binning isn't real

3gb is already the bare minimum of VRAM for cards if you want to play some of the recent games
in a year or two it'll not be enough and you'll be forced to either upgrade your card or significantly downgrade texture quality

Oh undoubtedly. However, the 1800X at microcenter is now $310. Im thinking of returning my 1700X and getting the 1800X. I'd only lose about an hour worth of my time to get to the store, return my current one, and get the replacement. I have a warranty on chip and board. Just claim the chip is acting up.

Tell me Sup Forums. If I go 1700 instead of 1600, how will it affect my user experience in 2 years in gaming, doing other stuff at the same time, working.
What should we expect from ryzen refresh next year?

The 1600 and 1700 are the exact same chip just with more/less cores. So for gaming purposes, you'll get similar results with both. Both can do gaming while streaming/recording without a hiccup. Both can do that while also have a movie playing. Or a bunch of tabs open in a browser of your choice. Again, without issue. The R7 series of chips only truly shine with production work loads. Video/photo editing, video encoding, compiling, audio production. Anything that makes extensive use of ram and cores/threads. So just look at your use case, and get what suits you. I have a 1700X that I game on at 1440p 60fps no issue at all. But I also can then edit my videos later as well.

As for the Ryzen refresh, just expect a more mature and refined release. Hopefully more ram compatibility. Potential for higher clocks (Ryzens only current caveat really) due to the node shrink.

how long until ddr5?

my upgrade cycle is by memory i guess im from i5 4460 and i just ordered i5 8400 thinking how long it will last

is DDR4 a huge leap in performance?
what to look out in the new coming CPUs?

DDR4 is not much faster, just cheaper and less power hungry than DDR3

Why is there so many mobo's with only 3ish star reviews on newegg? I'm looking for one for a ryzen 3 without spending a ton but it seems like a lot of them have mixed reviews.

bump for this

Look at benchmarks for the i5 8600k !!! Intel done goofed!!! It's better than any chip out that's under 700$ . This chip is GOLD kino

don't skimp on mobo
if amd stays true to their word, that mobo will keep working for a lot of following generations

And the massively exploitable backdoor comes for free!
Seriously who the fuck would buy Intel knowing hackers can execute remote code at any time and there's nothing you can do about it?

Because the reviews are fake and you're just being influenced by marketing.

Why g4560 or g4600 when they are about 80/90€ and the i3 8100 is about 110€?

>can't pull the trigger on upgrade because black friday is right around the corner
I am obsessed with looking at random hardware every day now, make it sotp.

To follow up, is it worth the risk for the evga b stock, or should I get one of the pny 1050ti's that best buy will have on black friday for $130?

I mean, objectively it IS a lot faster. How much improvement that brings depends on the program though. Open world games tend to benefit a lot from the extra bandwidth. I recently moved from an overclocked 2600K to a 1600 (since it was essentially free to do so after selling the old setup) and the main gaming improvement I've noticed has been in open world titles, including those that don't take advantage of those extra threads.

Because a G4560 can go in a $30 H110 motherboard, and the 8100 requires a $110 Z370 board.

Sup Forumsuys, should I buy a new 1050ti for $160 or buy this used (only tested since the fucker bought it and it didn't fit his case lmao) blower type 970? I heard blower cards aint good so should I risk it or nah?

>shit name brand
no

I'm obsessed with it still.
t. bought ryzen system 2 months ago

Why is it so addicting
It's not that it's not fun, but it just takes so much time away from other stuff I'd like to be doing

pcpartpicker.com/product/dWL7YJ/asrock-ab350m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-ab350m-pro4

I was thinking of getting this if it goes on sale again. It went to $50 20 and 10 days ago, so hopefully in the next few weeks it will.

I'm thinking about buying coffee lake but wary that it's only 6 cores when the sky lake ones were often 8-16. Is there any benefit to having more than 6 cores for vidya?

Is that all you poozen pajitts can come up with?? EVERYTHING is hackable grow up .
>sacrifice performance for muhbackdoor

Look at benchmarks i5 8600k is fucking MINT !!!
>6 hyper fast cores
>stable
>power draw low
>temps low

In some games, yes. WE WUZ KANGZ Origins scales well beyond even sixteen threads. Supermicro have already let the cat out of the bag that Intel will be bringing octa cores to the new Z390 platform next year.

This reads like a literal shill post. I've never seen anything except a paid advertisement try to pass shit like "stable" as a selling point for a fucking CPU.

What is the most silent and reliant HDD to get?
And dont tell me to get a SSD.

Have fun on your i7 firebomb at 135 volts or poozen snailspeed. I'll enjoy my i5 8600k Intel goof.
>Intel rushed chip
>forgot the limited
>runs better than i7

Sorry you must be mad at your 450$ i7 while I'm like 270$ i5

>"Do you really want to pay $250 for that lock when it's got a master key anyone can buy?"
>"ANY LOCK CAN BE PICKED FAGGOT"
I love how people will ignore the fact they're paying for totally compromised hardware simply because they'd have to settle for slightly worse performance in muh gaymes.

every thread this samefag calling people who say anything nice at all about AMD the word "pajitt", what do you think you're accomplishing?

People are so incredibly delusional when it comes to justifying their purchasing decisions. It's quite something.

Get a solid state drive.

Reliant means you rely on something. The word is reliable you fucking idiot.
Probably a WD Red/Purple Pro at consumer level.

>muh backdoor masterlock gimp code

>no evidence
>no exploit
>Indian poojeet SHILLS

Go larp some cryptomooning missions you dirty assed apu

Will my ASUS ROG STRIX Z270F GAMING be able to run a 8700K processor? I read an article where an ASUS employee said they just had to update the BIOS so now I'm confused.

OH SORRY THAT ENGLISH IS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE YOU AMERICAN FUCK, I HAPPEN TO SPEAK 3 LANGUAGES I BET YOU STUPID CUNT CAN ONLY SPEAK 1

Shit I guess I forgot to include the screencapped evidence in this post Oh wait, you're just a delusional gamer.
For the record, i'm actually posting from a chink ARM SBC, so your pajeet shitposting is even less meaningful.

would i still be able to play on highest settings with 6 cores?

coffee lake is cheaper and better than sky lake but i'm worried that only having 6 cores might make it become obsolete faster

Yes.

I can use the one language that matters correctly. Why do you speak my language? Do you think they teach whatever dumb bullshit you use to children here? Of course not, because your language is meaningless. Your country is meaningless.

Been patched , sorry Chang Tsu. Didn't mean to offend you with pajitt offense. We know Shanghai will.be conquered by poo power soon enough .

>pls post real evidence.of.exploit

Amd won't help you hackers can hack anything

forgot to mention that it's also at $160 so help me out (is palit known in your country?)

I built a PC for a client about 4-5 years ago. It has an FX-6300 at stock paired with a Radeon 7870. They're powered by an EVGA 500w 80+ rated. This power supply has no whine, the cooling fan bearing aren't grinding, and overall the PSU has shown no issues. Can I reuse it?

The new system will be an R5-1600 and gtx 1060 6GB. My client and I are trying to cut a few corners price wise because his original $1k estimate I gave him is now close to $1400 due to overall price inflation.

>CSME
>patched
Can you post evidence of what you're talking about? Because it looks like you have no idea what you're talking about.

I want to see how your country will be relevant and flourishing when it is ruled by PoC and white soy boys.
Have fun with that future you stupid fag.

Probably not, sorry dude. Not sure if it's possible to run Coffee Lake on that chipset or Intel are just cucking it's userbase harder than ever but there will be Z370 seems needed to run it even on the same socket.

What parts are safe to buy now, and what should be bought near blackfriday?

I'm think I am going to buy a r3 1200 now since $99 seems like as low as it'll go.

You shit in the streets!!!

Thanks for the tip btw, I got some WD hdds.

The Asus guy's point was that they COULD update the firmware to support it, but Intel won't let them (or provide compatible CPU microcode, so they couldn't do it even if they wanted to). Artificial lockout kikery, basically.

I wouldn't have a problem re-using it. Decent modern PSU's won't take anything with them if they fail in a typical manner and it's even less of an issue with a decent motherboard. Give it a run over with an air compressor or "can duster" though.

Real world? No. Intel is preventing all motherboard manufacturers from allowing coffee lake on z170/270. An Asus employee even said the only thing limiting them is not being allowed to make a BIOS update for coffee lake on z270.

Which is the biggest kick in the dick because technically on paper, the 8700k should just be a direct drop in since it's the same socket. Not only that, but Z370 will be a one hit wonder. Guarantee no other chips will work with it.

Yea I figured as much. I'll hit it with compressed air and I might test it with a multi meter. Plus, the R5-1600/1060 combo would draw less power than fx6300/7870 wouldn't it? So if anything the new system is less stressful than the current one.

I got a 280x and a i5 4670k, will upgrading to a 1070 be enough to move games at 120/144hz?
Also is there anything different in 120 and 144hz other than a few more frames?

Hackers can configure wall outlets to pick up sound

Hackers can hack appliances and cars and phones

Nsa has backdoors in EVERYTHING

We live in a prison planet

>but muh backdoor don t buy Intel

FUCK YOU, GO LIVE UNDER A ROCK

abandon all tech cause muh backdoors

>order ram on monday
>still hasn't been shipped
what the fuck amazon

is i5 8600k really worth the more expensive motherboard and having to buy cooling over the i5 8400 given that I would wait for H370?

Imo yes, if you use the word "future proof" it is much better bang bang for buck.

Faster than i7

If you intend to overclock and buy an expensive cooler to keep it from going Chernobyl sure. But just know that people on here with the 8600k have reported temps as high as 86C under large noctua coolers at stock clocks/voltages. Only really consider the 860/k if you intend to go under water and/or delid. Preferably both.

>8600k have reported temps as high as 86C under large noctua coolers at stock clocks/voltages
wat

WHAT reports ???

A lot less.
So you were lying about it being patched?
So you accept there's a proven, compromised backdoor in all modern Intel hardware?
So you're back to using the same argument I rekt in your first post?

amd is not a better choise for the money. their cpus are very weak, power hungry and they are not realy worth it. Intel gives better performance per core and with all cores for the same or even less money than an equal amd

Very, VERY high quality bait.
Here's your (You).

Thanks for your help guys. Really unfortunate to see such business practices from Intel.

Your argument is buy poozen and avoid hacking ?? Your dumb and your shilling for poozen is laughable .
Coffee lake must have you SHOOK

A couple people I talked to on Sup Forums. They showed HWmonitor pics of prime95 loads. one with a noctua NH-D15, the other with custom water. The guy with the noctua was showing peaks of 86C at stock voltage/clocks. The customer water was showing high 60s, low 70s which for custom water cooling, is still very high.

Inb4 hurr prime95, who cares?

This problem can be "fixed" if you're willing to take the chance of de-lidding your chip and replacing their stock TIM with better stuff, or liquid metal is possible. But bone stock out of the box? It's hot.

>Coffee lake must have you SHOOK
maybe when they release motherboards

Not him, but that's a nice (you), you just give him a (you) with trips

Don't buy anything with a CHIP innit
>might get backdoored