GIT GUD NANO USERS

No self respecting Linux admin would ever use nano, pico or any other text editor besides VI. There is no way, in any scope of the imagination that you should be considered the least bit qualified if you use anything but VI. I've had to fire at least 3 admins because they couldn't understand VI. One attempted to use gedit but he didn't last a week in our environment. If I was teaching college and I found out my students refused to use VI on projects or at home I would tell tell them they should just kys because they will never have what it takes to become a true Linux sysadmin.

vim to victory

ed is the standard text editor

I don't use Vi, I use Vim.

> I've had to fire at least 3 admins because they couldn't understand VI
what's it like, in your fantasy world

nano user here

If you are petty enough to fire people for using nano then you are a dumb shit

I'm telling you this because I am a better Linux admin then you will ever hope to be

> wouldn't last a week

I like to actually edit my configuration files and save them, not play fucking keyboard Twister. How the hell do you get anything done using your outdated shitware OP?

Pic related, OP

oh really? Can you setup a full ACL set with multiple interfaces with iptables without referring to docu? Can you awk, sed without doing a man? Regex much...Doubt it... only noobs use nano.. I ask my team to do this frequently and they'd get left behind in the digital dust if they even attempted to use nano... its such a POS

Then youre on the same boat as those nanotards. GET GUD KEKs
>Pic related

yeah when I was in college the studs who played twister got all the taint

I pretty much play the twister all day long in vi and reap all the benefits....

i esc :wq

wow im an ebin linux sysadmin

This is some pretty sad roleplaying

come on dude

>not using nvi
why?

> deer posting

Do you eat garbage as well?

I watched a video of a top tier sys admin ages ago. He said that most noobs have "product knowledge" and only those who have old school knowledge (such as a full working knowledge of VI) are ones worth hiring.

This video changed my life and the life of everyone who has ever been lucky enough to be on my team.

Forcing usage of VI was one small part of that.

>sees deer post

>nvi
> frozen at version 1.79

shit-ware for shit-people

This is what I think of when I think of nano

Why do people love vi so much?

I just tried it. I've never used a less straight forward text editor. What is it used for, and why it is so loved when there are easier editors like nano available? Maybe vi is more featureful?

I wish more distros would come with vi and nano.

> Can you setup a full ACL set with multiple interfaces with iptables without referring to docu?
> Can you awk, sed without doing a man?
>Regex much...Doubt it

You're an amateur, everyone who you hire is going to be a stuck up faggot and all of your clients hate you.

All I see here is duplication of work effort, instead of getting the proper industry-proven tools you want to look badass because you did it all "for free". Just remember when things inevitably cock up because you think you're better than everyone else your ass is on the line.

>oh look at me I know the right commands off by heart, I'm an expert
Fuck off kid, roaches like you can and will be squished out of the market.

it's already perfect

easy is a relative term. Only someone with noob-tier knowledge would consider it hard. Its really up to you whether you want to be a knowledgeable, elite admin... or one that goes to Red Lobster with Cisco reps.

I'll tell you what if you spend a week actually trying to learn VI it will send you on a better path then you are now.

Its like learning programming. Lisp is the only way.... or you can stick with the mouthbreathers that program in Python.

ano hadn't been written when I started doing this, so I learned vi... Once you know vi, there's no need to switch. If you're starting out fresh, then perhaps it's not the best choice since nano would be easier to learn.

>squished out of the market

hahaha nice meme, but sorry kid. If you have to Google how to use a tool, you're a fucking idiot and have right touching the keys.

Oh yeah, "industry proven tools", aka "muh UI"

pathetic... some people think a pretty dashboard an application makes...

> perfect
> not using superior elvis editor
you need to re-evaluate your life son

thank you.
if you don't know who this is your a failure

>user I need a storage report by user
>user I need a bandwidth report
>user how many wireless guest users connected in the last month

>*click* *click* *click*
>here is your industry standard report
>thanks

versus

>spend 5 hours coding something together
>h-h-h-here you go boss
>well this is nice, but how do I know that you captured everything?
>uhhhh

The fact that this hasn't even registered in your mind PROVES that you are just little boy junior in a big man's alpha nerd world.

ftfy

>spend 10 mins obtaining report with awk, sed >and vi because you stored everything in plain >text

the fact that this hasn't even registered in your mind PROVES that you are just wrapped up in the chains of your industry masters

>walk up to your boss
>here's the report you asked for
>it's a fucking csv file
>What the FUCK is this user? It's just a bunch of numbers!

Fetch my coffee, intern.

>user gives boss pretty excel report
>boss says this looks good while picking nose
>user thinks he's important because he spent >all day preparing report that boss didn't even >read

real sysadmin laboring away with CLI keeping the entire system up and running making the big bucks all the while

This user understands

>he needs to do constant CLI work to keep everything up and running

Maybe if you stopped making shit up on the fly because it made you more of a sysadmin you would actually have time to interact with clients and do actual senior level work.

>user takes 5 hours to code something
Hows does unemployment feel?

>hey tech enthusiasts!
>give money to these underprivileged kids that don't contribute to the world in any way

>vi
>not emacs
yeah, nah mate

Agree 100%

The amount of time the nano scrubs ITT have spent whining about vim, they could have gone through vimtutor already.

The difference is, I'm employed and will always be employed because I understand the needs of the business and use technology to solve real problems. That's what real sysadmins do.

You sit here circlejerking about how you can code up complex functions within 5 minutes with 0 errors and 0 looking up the documentation with 100% of business requirements which is just a big fat lie, and frankly it's irrelevant if you can do so because in most cases it would be cheaper and more effective to go out and buy a tool.

In fact I would go as far as saying that spending the 1000+ hours getting this down pat is a complete waste of time. You could have been learning proper architecture or working on documentation for the other members of your team to read.

>elvis
that, or gvi(m).

Haha "complex functions" sed, awk, vi might as well be black magic to you microcucked product buying sysadmin wannabees

Run along now pajeet, no one wants to see your poorly documented code that only you know how to understand or decipher your autistic program outputs.

Cucks like you get slaughtered in the real world. Let me know when you get fired from your first real job because of "feminism"

> omg I don't have a clue
> what this mega user is even talking about
> ima so scared of the command line
> oh well time to go back to my cucked gui

yeah FUCK WOMEN!

>VI alphabet soup

can you get anymore cucked than this?

nano is not bad thing. Sometimes people just want to get things done.

>taint

and you wonder why you didn't get any?