Firefox 57 Quantum Update

So I've already been using this for a few hours, and other than different icon aesthetics and font, I don't notice a difference. They said it would be faster, it's not running faster, disappointed...

On top of that I can't use NoScript or Flagfox plugins. Yeah I know there is a new NoScript released, but no auto update of it.

Yeah and that icon of history and bookmarks look like crap, literally looks like stacked turds, rather than books on a shelf.

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flag-plus/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/country-flags-ip-whois/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/o-o-0-o-o-wingowing/
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215061
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1403295
github.com/cmcaine/tridactyl
ghostbin.com/paste/uha8a
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox
Sup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>INB4 Chrome Lite

I have a FX6300 with 8GB of RAM and the speedometer benchmark thing gives me 52~60 runs, I have no idea how people are getting 90+

>cpulet
>ramlet
gee i wonder

There is no changes to anything that matters for people like us who were already using ad-blocking or script blocking add-ons. For us all they did was break a ton of add-ons and themes and make useless cosmetic changes.

They probably also reset the version number (because Quantum is just that much better that it's like a new program) for more pleb appeal.

Firefox Quantum literally does nothing if you already block ads.

The majority of the "faster" bullshit just helps scripts track your browsing history faster anyways.

>They said it would be faster, it's not running faster
They said that it gets twice the score on speedometer compared to six months ago.
That is true.

>Flagfox
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flag-plus/
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/country-flags-ip-whois/

So far:
>Stylish is broken,
>Click&Clean has no replacement
>NoScript needs to be updated
>facebook disconnect is broken
>Rights to Close is broken (literally the best FF addon, double right click to close tabs, perfect for quickly saving a bunch of pics)
>My two spider/crawler addons are broken
>Vimium is broken.

FUCKING NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEE GET OFF MY INTERNET REEEEEEEEEEEEE
FUCK OFF

le reddit enhancement suite of course

Search Bar Firefox 57 addon addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/o-o-0-o-o-wingowing/

How do I put tabs back on the bottom?

>Stylish
Use Stylus. It's only broken if you used it for browser themes. In that case just put the entire thing into userChrome.css
>Click&Clean
Literally built into the browser.
>facebook disconnect
uBlock
>double right click to close tabs
Middle click
>vim
Required APIs have been approved and are in the works.

>wanting extensions that do useful things

sorry goy, you have to go back

no option to use it's own built in window decorations yet in linux. i just want more vertical space back.

Sup Forums X is broken through grease, violent and tampermonkey. Can't watch threads on greasemonkey unless you refresh the page a couple of times, can't use shortcuts on tampermonkey at all, and it doens't even load of violentmonkey.

I'd be fine with the new firefox except for the permanent removal of the old non one-click-search.

Fuck I hate the new search bar with a passion.

#TabsToolbar {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2;
}
If you have tabs in titlebar enabled you'll also need to add a margin to the url bar because it overlaps with the window buttons.

It sucks out loud. I backed it out. Only 4 of my 21 addons worked. Maybe I'll put on one of my older desktops and play with replacements in my free time, but I fear some can't/won't be replaced. > : (

I've been using it on windows and xbuntu since it came out on both my work and personal computers. It's a massive fucking improvement as far as I'm concerned. The only extensions I use are ublock origin and tampermonkey for 4chanx, so breaking compatibility with a bunch of addons isn't an issue for me.

Previous versions of firefox were laggy pieces of shit for anything more intensive than reading plain text on every computer I tried them on. The new one is as smooth as chrome and chromium. I'm really happy with it.

The motherfuckers even resetted a bunch of settings from about:config, I had to trawl the net to refind the each prompt that I needed to modify.

mozilla doesn't care about power users anymore desu

People like you don't understand browsers,and u don't understand browsers security.

But hey enjoy your bullshit.

It's a lot faster on all my computers. Seems as fast as Chrome now.

I'm not even a power user.

I just want to be able to middle click and have the previous tab open instead of a new tab. Is that too much to ask? I never knew how useful Tab Mix Plus was until I lost it, RREEEEEE

>Required APIs have been approved and are in the works.
source? would be nice to follow the progress of this

As somebody with 18,000 bookmarks, this version of Firefox is significantly smoother.

>18,000 bookmarks
Why would you do this to yourself?

bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1215061
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1403295
This makes a full-featured replica of VimFx possible.
One of the people working on the api is also making a Vimperator-like addon github.com/cmcaine/tridactyl

I fucking hate this shit, the previous version was working fine

In order to notice it running faster you'd have to have a slow computer.
As it stands, everything runs fast anyways, so it's an imperceptible increase. More so for efficiencies sake.

I've been using it a day now and the only thing I've noticed is that I got an extra 40 minutes of browsing on battery. My Alienware 13 R3 is not known for its battery life, though so it is nice to get 5.5 hours instead of just 5 when using Chrome.
Weird, though, since when I run comparisons the difference in CPU, GPU and RAM usage is... marginal at best.

>tfw Chrome locks up when I try to view my bookmarks
maybe I should switch back to firefox

Agreed.

>In order to notice it running faster you'd have to have a slow computer.

This is absolute horseshit. Old version of ff would lag and stutter on literally every computer I ever tried them on. Despite it's meme tier name, quantum is a gorillion times faster and smoother than any other version of ff I've used since version 3.0.

what do you expect when a bunch of cuck sjws take over

How's Brave by the way?

shit

I can understand 18.000 bookmarks a lot more than those who unironically keep 1000 tabs open.

>In order to notice it running faster you'd have to have a slow computer.
Far from it, I have a pretty fast computer, and the previous version would hang up bad if you started watching videos. I'd have to close and reload the browser a couple of times a day

Tried it too, can confirm

It feels...slightly faster. That's it.

that would be a stupid thing to say
chrome's addons have more functionality and actually work

All my pre-57 addons work on my pre-57 FF.

>People like you don't understand browsers,and u don't understand browsers security
so you're saying he can easily get hired by mozilla?

>Uses Noscript instead of Umatrix.

You are normie

>not using both

lmao

>uMatrix
>the addon that can't even handle tags and the developer is too lazy to fix it
lol

enjoy while it lasts
it won't be long

>fuck over developers forcing them to rebuilt their entire addons from the ground up without even having the API to do it
This is great news for chrome users since every dev who isn't an idiot will just rebuild their addons for chrome instead and enjoy a much bigger marketshare instead of the 20% or less that still use firefox

Till what? I disabled updates.

Using it currently. It's ok. Faster than Chrome. It was faster than Firefox but I'll have to test against Quantum.

It's kind of barebones but mostly functional. I

until you're forced to changed by a 0day exploit

What should I use to replace Self-Destructing Cookies? Also, how do I get rid of the stupid pocket icon in the URL bar?

Why not both?

Disregard the second question, I'm a faggot

>had no idea about this
>FF upgrades to Quantum
>FF is now laggy and freezes
>uninstall it and reinstall 56
Am I the only one who had any trouble with it?

Might as well ask this here.
Is there anyway to get rid of this?

wut

#TabsToolbar .titlebar-placeholder[type="pre-tabs"] {
display: none !important;
}

Maybe that's just a glitch. I've noticed something like that from time to time. Usually it's a pixilated square in the upper left.

It's so you have a spot to drag the window around with. I don't think it appears if you have the menu enabled because then you already have a spot to grab it.

"update" aka Chrome Fork

>double right click to close tabs
You are mentally and physically retarded.

Qutebrowser using the new Webrender backend.

I'm not really liking Soyfox 57.

Next they will add a Instagram toolbar.

when they advertise 2x faster speeds and show a video of Firefox Quantum still losing to chrome in literally half of the tests..
and when they do beat chrome it's by maybe feelsbad.png

does anyone know how the fuck can i import the toolbar bookmarks from chrome in order to firefox?? i did it but it fucks up the order and i hate it...

>quantum killed my favorite addons
>try chrome
>chrome has no bookmark sidebar so it shits its pants with my 8000 bookmarks

why

You would be pretty based if you posted your bookmark collection

how do i put tabs and url bar in titlebar?

>wanting a bunch of doujins, erp profiles, imgur albums, font sites

but why

ghostbin.com/paste/uha8a

Too bad they abandoned OneLiner.

Chrome has even less API's than Firefox, and they will outright ban any extension that they dislike from anything that uses the Chrome App Store to get extensions, no devs will flock to them
Most devs ragequitted during the last 2 years since Mozilla gave zero fucks about them, now that they are barely starting to implement new API's some new devs are coming in
Still, the damage it's already done, by the time the new API's and extensions are ready no one will care, people will just run some Chromium fork, or smaller browsers like Qutebrowser and Pale Moon, perhaps even Netrunner will be usable by then, and most extension devs are already on one of those or just dropped browser extension development

there will always be new devs

best browser on mobile, good but not great yet on desktop

Because it's FREE.

No proper replacement for either. Thank god you can revert.

this is what i have, but was hoping for a diferent method. any idea why they are using vw instead of pixel widths?

quantum uses too much cpu on idle

Aiming for perfect 50% representation for unused processor cycles. You just hate diversity. Bigot.

This works, but it causes issues when rearranging tabs. It also causes a black line between the menu bar and navigation bar, but only in conjunction with something to remove the grey highlighting of the navigation bar.

Never mind. Solved.

got an i3-6100 and 8GB of RAM and I have 83.9

Quantum is also much faster than previously yeah.

*QtWebEngine

>in Firefox pre-57, having numerous extensions installed was known to slow down your browser
>Firefox 57 broke all of said extensions
>Firefox 57 appears faster because it's free of extensions
Pretty genius

I have the same box on mine

Fuck. What's the firefox setting that stops it from writing a ridiculous amount of sessions to your SSD?

Well, it's faster for me too and I only used like 4 extensions, 3 of which are already ported to webextension. I mean, if FF 57 is not faster than 56 for you, then it is almost certainly some problem on your end.

Shit, is there anything to be done other than just wait?

No need to wait, you can upgrade right now.
support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox

Is there a way to restore the old tab style? Or can I at least change the color of inactive tabs?
Fuck this black shit, it's distracting me

>Fuck this black shit, it's distracting me
Shills claiming that no matter how disruptive it is for you, you should applaud any change from Firefox team in 3.. 2.. 1..

If you look under customize there should be themes you can load in.

Im just going to wait for some Quantum fork before I try it. How long until it happens?

Why..?

I did, Sup Forums X is still fucked. I think it's something fucked between it and the newer versions of grease/tampermonkey

I use Greasemonkey 3.17 and Sup Forums X 1.13.14.8 from Sup Forums-x.net/builds/Sup Forums-X.meta.js

I just installed it
its lighting fucking fast

but NoScript is not supported that is real tragedy

Well that might explain it. I updated to .7 earlier today and thought that'd be it until tomorrow. Didn't think a second update would be pushed out a few hours later

umatrix is joke
stop spreading this meme