Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAL_electrolytic_capacitor
aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html
wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#Firefox_Release
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*pop*

>Asian lady says fuuucckk.webm

too loud 4 me

that's a japanese spider capacitor , leave it alone

funny. I have a mother board with the exact same 16v 470uf caps that are ALL leaking too. literally identical to the one pictured.

It's your current machine?

nah, it was a core 2 duo I was using until about a year or so ago. I eventually called it quits after so many problems.
the hdmi port went out on the igpu, had to use vga in 2016.
pci was fucked, if a pci card was inserted the computer would not boot.
caps on the bottom of the board were all leaking.
caps by the ram were so hot that it burned to touch them
hardware didnt have any accelerated decoding for video standards or something, youtube would max both my cores at 100% and the cpu fan sounded like a jet taking off.
psu blew up but I replaced it and kept using it in my new build.
I do alot of heavy work so the new machine was called for anyway.

I did use it with the blown caps though, if that was the intent of your question.

That's a machine with a timer.

>Blöeeeeef

>have tons of old electronics with tons of electrolytic capacitors
>never seen a single one actually fail catastrophically
>my oldest capacitor is from 1934 and still works fine

The days before planned obsolescence.

Why didn't you replace all the capacitors? It's pretty cheap

Newer motherboard use lead free solder that becomes crusty with age, it's fucking nightmare of a job to desolder caps from that.

I did caps on my asrock mbo, replaced with cheap chinese caps but it took me 20-30min per cap and there are lots of them.

He would have to replace the HDMI port and maybe the PCI slot too.

I brought my shitheap computer back from the dead by re-capping it; nine of them blew before it finally stopped working and I was able to replace seven but two of them were right next to the goddamn heatsink and I couldn't get them to budge.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the results for not having a solder sucker.

i tried desoldering caps from a 8 layer board before , never again , unless you have a buff iron and some good wick the board is just gonna soak up all the heat and laugh at you

yep , late P4 , Athlon gen1 and core2 boards have bad caps , its the years of the cap plauge , modern caps are usually fine unless they are under stress (80+c enviroment, overvoltage etc)

If i'm not mistaken, shit started because some chinese tried to steal the japanese capacitor electrolyte formula, but the company was aware and replaced the formula with a shitty one.
But i imagine that today this is a bussiness on it's own.
After all, capxon is THE company of the shitty capacitors that die, yet it's huge and several manufacturers use their caps.
I bet that under the curtains, capxon actually offers an sheet with how long the caps will last, and gives you several options ranging from 6 months to 10 years.

Im a lazy piece of shit. I was going to but them problems kept happening, like hdmi going out. the caps that were leaking weren't tied to hdmi (I tracked down the circuit schematic).
In the end it was just too many problems and the stuff I do was too much for the old prebuilt anyway, like I said youtube would max off both cores (2 core, no ht so only 2 threads total @ 2.85 ghz).
I like to have multiple virtual machines open at the same time, about 600 tabs in firefox most of which are loaded. The new computer can handle my bullshit without an issue. before I had to micromanage everything to keep from freezing the system. now I can do all this shit and have tons of breathing room.

I still have the old computer and may replace the caps someday and use it as a dedicated something, its not a bad machine if I can fix it.

The ting goes pop pop pop skibidibaba trutuu dum skiaaa du du du du

thats the thing though, I dont think it was the actual hdmi port. it was barley used (low mating count), and never really suffered any damage or strain.
As for the pci slot, low mating counts and it was all pci slots, first thing I did was try putting the card in a different port, no luck.
I just pulled another computer from the pile and ran it as a headless server for all the pci cards I used and kept on using the first computer as my main.

Weird.
Maybe the ol and good leadfree solderball cracking?

>I did caps on my asrock mbo, replaced with cheap chinese caps but it took me 20-30min per cap and there are lots of them.
>i tried desoldering caps from a 8 layer board before , never again , unless you have a buff iron and some good wick the board is just gonna soak up all the heat and laugh at you
Ive desoldered these sized caps from motherboards before with a cheap $12 usd weller wood burning/general purpose iron from walmart and it didnt take more than a few seconds to melt the solder. idk how many layers it was, but just a standard motherboard. check to see if your irons are defective. Id just point one of those temperature thermometer gun things at it to make sure its actually getting up to temps.

it could be bad solder. Ill try reflowing it when I mess with it again in a few years. Thanks for the suggestion.
I just made the assumption it as a bad capacitor or other component in the hdmi circuitry. I tried to track down an hdmi tester but there arnt many repair shops here and I couldn't find one.

another possibility I just thought of, connected to it was a monitor that went bad. the monitor had a failed cap right next to a heatsink, leaking and shit. the monitor would flicker and reset all day every day. got worse and worse to the point it didnt turn on. Maybe this caused some kind of a surge back though the hdmi cable that fried something in the hdmi circuitry on the mobo.. or maybe Im just an idiot that doesn't know what Im talking about.. who knows.

I did however replace the cap on the monitor, but being the lazy piece of shit I am, i still havnt put it back together, though I did confirm it now works.

criminally underrated.

Look at those crusty fucks, Rubycon on Dell SFF motherboard.

Have very good experience with Dell but this particular machine is horribly designed. No air flow and caps are sandwiched between cpu cooler and voltage regulators. Heat killed them pretty spectacular.

Jesus christ how horrifying

I dont know what to trust anymore.

In the 90's there was a massive influx of poorly made caps on the market. a chinese company stole the designs from an american firm, they fucked up the manufacture and made them chemically unstable

MODS !

get this shit out of here
>>>/gore/ or

*Panics*
>Proceeds to check motherboard for bulging caps.

Reminds me of the hype when NIMH batteries became mainstream and all "experts" went NO MEMORY EFFECT!!! THIS TECHNOLOGY IS THE BEST!

Meanwhile NIMH batteries had almost as bad of a memory effect like the NICD before.

this is a 20 minute fix if you have replacement caps and a proper soldering iron

you fucktard you made check my mobo

Easy and cheap to fix

don't have to all mine are solid caps

Most "solid" caps have very specific codes down to the nF so you need a good supplier to get a replacement on low quantities.

>solid caps
So you have pic related? other wise you have a regular electrolytic cap on a thicker envelop.

Electrolytic capacitor failure is much rarer today than it used to be since that whole formula change debacle no longer effects modern consumer electronics.

You only have to worry about them in very cheap poorly designed equipment using off brand capacitors and or equipment where the electrolytic cap is placed near heatsinks, regulators, or other power components such as diodes, MOSFETs, and triacs, etc, stuff that gets hot and causes the electrolyte to dry up faster.

This is generally a non issue in well designed products however some lower end name brand consumer equipment might employ the above techniques as a form of planned obsolescence.

You didnt know the state of your own hardware and yet somehow he is the fucktard

You can actually buy the exact same caps used by the original manufacturer or similar enough to do the job well. There are plenty of reliable sellers out there.

are lithium batteries anywhere near as bad?

They're the exact opposite of the nickel stuff.
If you keep discharging em too much and recharging, they fuck up.

wtf i love lead acid now

Yeah those are no different than regular caps see Lithium batterys are better in regards of memory but they come with their own set of problems, for example the way of charging them is much more complex and they also like to explode, an acid battery runaway is more dramatic but less likely to happen in comparison with lithium.

no liquid inside

Actually they are different, those are polymer caps however many gayman mbo's have regular wet caps without the sleeves that only look like poly caps.

>Electrolytic capacitor
not real solid caps looks like chinese knockoffs

Solid electrolytic caps are a thing. The electrolyte is simply a solid and not a liquid.

Your pic is a ceramic cap, not a solid electrolytic cap. They generally do not come in values much larger than a few microfarads and in most cases they are not suitable substitutes for electrolytic capacitors. You would never see these for power supply filtering which is where you most often find electrolytic capacitors. Ceramics are best used for local supply decoupling for ICs and for timing.

Electrolytics and tantalums are typically used for power applications and ceramic and polymer is used for small signal although polymer fails in a controlled manner and typically has high voltage ratings but like ceramics they don't usually have high capacitences (up to ~10uF) so they get used in some high voltage applications but only for stuff like ac coupling, current limiting, voltage multipliers, etc. Tantalums can have high capacitences in small footprints so they're good for small designs where you need power components but don't want big bulky electrolytics. They're not friendly though and tend to fail explosively if you make mistakes with them like get the polarity reversed.

Use the right capacitor for the right application.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

theyre all solid after they pop and the electrolyte boils off

BONUS: They keep you fit if you keep lifting them

>Lithium batterys are better in regards of memory but they come with their own set of problems, for example the way of charging them is much more complex
just charge them at constant current until a certain voltage and then switch to constant voltage mode.. right?
people including myself have been charging the things on a lab power supply

>what's a desoldering pump

this is now a cap gore thread

>just charge them at constant current until a certain voltage and then switch to constant voltage mode.. right?
Yes. Basically you're not allowed to charge them with anything higher than the maximum voltage(usually 4.2V per cell). Putting on 4.2V on a fully discharged cell however will cause too much current to flow so we do current limited charging instead until the charging voltage reaches 4.2V and then just stay at 4.2V until the cells are full.

>You would never see these for power supply filtering which is where you most often find electrolytic capacitors
They are in every single switched power supply for EMI suppression.

Yeah but there's also the revival mode and compared to just put in more voltage than what the battery is rated for method for lead acid is really idiot prof, you can even put some stupid amounts of volts if you don't care about the battery life( and your own)

>you will never be a capacitor

if there's electrolyte then it's not a solid capacitor

i had one that started to smoke

kek

Did he try the patch

wat

EMI suppression is not the same as the output filter whose purpose is not to eliminate noise but rather ripple. But you are right, I forgot to mention that ceramic caps are used across the transformer in SMPS for noise. Class Y only I believe? I'm not aware of them having any other function in power supplies other than perhaps as a timing capacitor for certain switched mode controller chips such as the MC34063.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAL_electrolytic_capacitor

gum and that mouth spray

I've desoldered caps from 6-8 layer PCBs without any kind of wick or pump. You just need a high power soldering iron with a heavy flat tip and some mad skills to determine how much heating do leads need (negative leads typically go into a massive copper plane so they need way more)

Were some of the caps SMD? If so, I can see why, that would be a fucking nightmare apart from the 8 layer board.

Jesus Christ, you're kidding...

Years back a big cap like this was leaking in our dishwasher and the stench of the dark electrolyte was nose destroying. The day before replacing it, there even was a small puddle of it under the machine. It was a piercing fishy smell.

why didn't you just put it in the dishwasher

Hey cool!
So now the caps just blow their entire lid off when they go bad instead of venting it controlled.

PROGRESS!

Oh shit those motor caps where a lot of fun on highschool when they were left charged on a table waiting for a victim.

Next thing you'd suggest would probably be to recycle the electrolyte to cook and fry things

Well now they do have not much memory effect.

No, its great. But that shouldn't stop you from using decent NiMh for appliances that need those.

I was thinking homemade Gatorade

Those are actually disguised wet caps

Looks like they blew their cover

>600 tabs
Why?

Carlos!

you're supposed to apply flux, suck/clean, reapply

and high temps can blow the caps

i dunno what's high power but the wattage claims are bullshit for soldering irons since you can tweak the heating element thickness to work/heat with whatever wattage.

oh and using the wick is worse than the pump

you can stuck dirt in the tin and fuck up the electrical contact

>frying with cap juice
nogs in africa are years ahead of you.

aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html

got problems.
I hit 700 the other day. Im slowly working my way back down to 10.
Ive seen firefox take over 20gb of ram before.

INGENIOUS!
Now I know why they so desperately want all of them in Yurop.

Damn user, and I thought my 70+ tabs were an issue.

I remember my Nvidia 8600 GT had its capacitors explode.

>700 tabs

The heck.
My FF slows down a bit even with 50 (and I have 24GB ram).
Aren't you annoyed by lags and stutters?

But proper desoldering pump is $$$.

70 was my "I have problems" stage years ago.
get your shit under control before you wind up like me.
I'm down to 287 open tabs spread across 6 windows on the same machine.
maybe this can highlight why website coin miners are a horrible idea.

Definitely user, although I think I can easily manage that many tabs. Going to keep them under 50.
I have dual monitors and keep a browser open on each monitor which makes it a lot easier.

I dont have any lag. I have firefox multithreading on, i7 6700k, 40gb of ram @ 3.0ghz with 15-15-15-16 timing, and an ssd.
I havnt seen firefox lag in ages. It did have a bit of issue when hyperthreading was disabled though (shit load of video tabs open). When closing firefox it would take dozens of seconds to a couple minutes to archive all open tabs into previoussession.js so that they could be restored on next start up.

go check to see if an addon has disabled hyperthreading for you.
wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis#Firefox_Release

If you're using Firefox 48 or later, you might be using e10s already. Check about:support and look for a number higher than 0 in the "Multiprocess Windows" entry. If you would like to opt-in, open about:config and toggle browser.tabs.remote.autostart to true. On your next restart, e10s should be active.

>I think I can easily manage that many tabs
managing it isnt the issue. Its more of a keep your house clean sort of thing for me at this point. Im trying to keep things more organized.

True, and just get rid of shit that will never be viewed.
I had things that were probably open for like a year.

I do a purge every few months. force myself to finish reading anything thats half ready and decide if information is of use, if book mark it, and watch any videos that were put off till later.
get down to between 10 - 30 and the inevitable cycle starts all over.
I also stopped storing all files in huge clusterfuck directories and am giving them easily search able names and storing them in categorized folders that arnt on the desktop.