LINUX & SCREEN TEARING

Which distro + DE combination doesn't have screen tearing by default? I just want to watch my animu in peace.

arch + KDE. the distro doesn't matter too much though. if you notice screen tearing on the browsers there's an article on arch wiki about it, problem solved.

>if you notice screen tearing on the browsers there's an article on arch wiki about it, problem solved.

I want everything to work out of the box.

on the browsers it's usually not a problem with the distro or the DE. besides, it's super easy to fix.

Nonfree Debian with Cinnamon

>Cinnamon

But that's what I'm using and it's unfixable

more like impossible

What card do you have?

The newest kernel of Linux was just released and it will finally allow GPUs to access base memory. The newest Firefox browser version can do the same, albeit in a buggy fashion for now. Give it all a few months and try this again. Once those improvements are implemented, you should see the tearing go away and your performance enhanced.

I have an Nvidia but I've given up on using it because the software that's supposed to let me switch between it and my integrated gpu doesn't work.

Use propietary ones and enable pipelining with sudo (sudo nvidia-settings)
the pipelining is on display, i have the same card and i fixed it instantly

budgie for Ubuntu has nice screen display on Intel HD graphics at least

I've found that in lubuntu using SMPlayer with vdpau eliminates all tearing.

Anything with GNOME+Wayland+mpv.

What is your setup?
In my Nvidia optimus laptop I had to enable Nvidia's KVM (but still no Wayland), that way frame rate was synchronized with screen.
Things like double buffering settings in DE or programs didn't do anything.

KDE is the only DE I've used where I didn't have to tweak a single thing out of the box or install Compton or something.

Use Windows 10, it just werks.

Linix mint + cinnamon

GNOME+Wayland is the only guaranteed bet. I'm not sure how KDE's implementation of Wayland is coming along, but KDE is probably the next best thing. Make sure to enable "force full pipeline composition" if you're using Nvidia hardware.

Gnome3 + Wayland.

The last component is PipeWire for RDP and screen forwarding.

You can also have multiple DPI/Resolution monitors.

Wayland is the way to go breh

arch
weston

or ... you know ... just enable vsync in gpu.conf or use compton if ur de doesnt into compositor

i assume this is for X?

by default mpv does NOT have tearing in fullscreen but i think op did not ask just for video

this, and it is pretty confusing a crippled player can get it right, but normie shit like vlc can not. It is a software problem.

I had tearing in mpv until I enabled "TearFree" ON in drivers.

Windows + Explorer

it just depends on your compositor mate. just install compton and run it and its all good. or install something that runs wayland, such as fedora. if you have no previous experience with linux then I highly recommend fedora.

>I want everything to work out of the box.
Fedora with gnome

I have arch with i3 X11, still have a bit of tearing with teatfree true Accel method sna in the conference file. I tried modesetting but it crashed. I have an Intel HD graphics 4600 and 2560x1440 screen. Is there anything I can do?

anything that uses compositing
so all wayland window managers, kde, gnome, cinnamon, ..
distro doesn't matter

>in fullscreen

>crippled player

lies

gnome could cause micro stutter for video playback tho

I've had no problem with stock Ubuntu 16.04 + Intel graphics

If you are retarded enough to think that a distro solves screen tearing and not the collection of software and compatible hardware, go back to Sup Forums.

Distros are just different collections of the same fucking software and you can mold any of them to your using, some just suit certain workflows better.

KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon and Budgie shouldn't have it by default and if they do try configuring your compositor settings.
On Mate you can just go to your compositor settings and experiment with the few different compositing settings to see which works for you.
On Xfce you can just disable your compositor in settings and:
>sudo apt install compton
>go to session and startup and add "compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc" on startup

I use Xfce and can confirm that the fix worked on my machineā„¢ and eliminated tearing.

ubuntu + nvidia (proprietary drivers) + dual screen (different monitors)

always had screen tearing until i got to use "force composition pipeline".

it eats some GPU processing power but there's no tearing whatsoever anymore.

There's tearing in videogames unless vsync is enabled, so windows isn't tear-free. Linux doesn't have tearing even with it disabled but will get lower framerates.

LXQt on top of default Ubuntu install has served me well lately as a lightweight DE. Screen tearing does happen in some use cases but very rarely.

Yes, in fullscreen. AMD open source driver, RX 470. Xubuntu 17.10. latest mpv.

if you want no screen tearing AND no stuttering in 60 fps, then you need arch + xfce (with compositing disabled)
Arch linux's video drivers are packaged to have screen tearing turned off by default, so you don't need to rely on a buggy, shitty compositor to handle the screen tearing issue
(the easiest way to do that is with antergos, and picking xfce off of the DE list)
alternatively, you can use i3 instead of xfce, as neither of these DEs require compositing
also, hybrid graphics don't really work on linux, you should stick with dedicated graphics

What GPU do you have?

Use Ubuntu then

>windows has detected your performance is low, because windows 7 has a memory leak(tm), and has adjusted your desktop to windows 7 basic
>desktop composition disabled
>screen tearing

so this is the power of proprietary software

This is the exact distro+DE I have and screen tearing is unbearable
Tried both Nvidia and nouveau drivers, as well as composition pipeline settings and pretty much everything on the arch wiki
Probably going to switch once I can find a reliable DE/WM

I'm a retard and didn't try running Nvidia settings as root, I'll try later today

try with --no-config
default is to use opengl and yea no tearing in fs with xf86-video-ati
from personal exp deb and ubuntu are crap for video playback, not sure what im missing if anything

>xfce
literary why? any wm will work the same
and no. the best thing is arch + weston

>drivers are packaged to have screen tearing turned off by default, so you don't need to rely on a buggy, shitty compositor to handle the screen tearing
wat

Arch+xfce+vsync
Has never given me problems, I'm not sure what everyone else is doing wrong.

I can also say this fixed my problem as well when I was on mint xfce

>screen tearing turned off
>implying it is something people turn on intensionally
lol

this.
other than arch, KaOS seem to work pretty well with full screen repaint turned on + kwin wayland.

you want something but you don't want to do anything about it?
[spoiler]anyway, try kubuntu or kde neon with wayland or anything with wayland support[spoiler]

Arch keKDE

Setup:
>KDE (up to date)
>Arch (kernel up to date)
>X11 (session) (wayland sux on wacom tablet tb h)

>mesa (installed)
>xfree86 intel drivers and corresponding deps
>libva-intel-driver-g45-h264 (AUR)

Configuration:
>KDE Compositor setting: Re-use screen content, allow application block composting
>intel configuration: no changes
no tweaks since I'm using ivybridge processor
if you use a sandybridge or lower, force UXA and refer to the wiki

>weston
try a 60 fps video test
you won't pass, because every linux compositor is shit

>try a 60 fps video test
i have
>you won't pass, because every linux compositor is shit
no u

>won't pass
pass what?

Why does tearing still exist at all now?

After 15 years of using GNU+Linux, I should know how to remedy the omnipresent screen tearing problem, but actually I haven't encountered it yet.

I use awesomewm. I have the tearing fixed. Too bad games stutter a bit.

because they dont enable vsync or use gnome with wayland but from my experience mutter(?) micro stutters playback in mpv - weston doesnt