Net neutrality

can someone explain what the worst case scenario will be when net neutrality rules finally die? what does it mean for someone like me that plays games overseas from within the united sates? will i be affected in that regard at all?

You will be charged separately for anything you do online.

This desu. Imagine cable packages, pay per view, and all that bullshit.

do you think they will revisit net neutrality once the trump administration ends? or are we seriously fucked?

Once these ISPs get even more money, they'll just lobby to prevent net neutrality ever coming back.

You will pay $5/mo for basic videogame connections (Throttled to 56kbps), $15/mo for the middle tier service (games are throttled to 500kbps) and you can pay $25/mo for high speed 1.5mbps service.

Also you will be paying $75/mo for a 25mbps service, but you will only get those speeds to Wikipedia, Google, CNN, Amazon, MSNBC, Reddit, Tumblr, and Twitter and various Big Bank outlets.

Twitter will have a 4 hour delay on tweets unless you pay an extra $5/mo to receive them instantly.

Another $50/mo to visit most other websites, but only at 100kbps speeds. Pay $15/mo extra to increase the speed to 500kbps.

Torrenting isn't allowed on the service at all
The only encrypted traffic that is permitted is between you and select websites - like your Bank or Amazon. If you shop at newegg - sorry they're not part of our trusted providers, buyer beware. Use an official provider if you don't want to have your cc info stolen.

If you need a VPN for work reasons you'll have to pay $250 for the business service and provide your encryption license (which includes your encryption key so they can snoop and make sure you're not transmitting anything illegal) and other details (probably a blood sample and photo to keep on file)

Some websites, like Sup Forums or stormfront will require a $20/mo surcharge, each, to access. This is adult only content so the pricetag is to protect you or something. It's not a form of censorship we swear.

Also you'll have the option to buy NotNetflix service from your ISP for $40/mo, it'll have fewer shows than netflix, but if you use netflix you'll discover that all your shows get dropped, constantly buffer, and sometimes the service just goes down for hours at a time for no reason. None of which will happen on the ISP's $40/mo service. You'll be told it's because netflix is a shitty company with totally shit hardware that they can't be bothered to upgrade.

Once it's gone, we're fucked

Unbelievably fucked

Net neutrality is not my problem because I have white privilege and therefore cyberprivilege.
Therefore i do not care about it.

so ok, worst case scenario is turning into china basically? actually that's even worse than chinese internet.

>thinks white privilege will save you

Only green privilege will. if you make $250k+/year you're fine. Otherwise get rekt

White privilege will save me because white privilege surpasses green privilege.
Don't forget, white privilege is the biggest privilege of all.
Are you saying whites have no privilege? Are you a white supremacist nazi homophobe misogynist?

How does it affect those outside the US?

Maybe higher prices, but that's about it. The whole brouhaha is about the home ISPs potentially charging companies extra to get full-speed access (or any access at all) to their consumers, unless the datacenter ISPs manage to abuse the law changes to get some extra money (seems reasonably unlikely on the surface though, as it'd just chase off a bunch of companies to relocate their data in some other country) it shouldn't affect the non-US connections.

real talk though user, will anything really change in the next 2-3 years, assuming this goes through?

It's hard to say, but my guess is that nothing will change in the short term. It's just too easy to get tons of PR ammo by keeping status quo or even dropping the prices a bit due to "loosened regulation" or some shit, then start quietly fucking around in the background once the dust has settled.

Then again, there's also the chance that the ISPs just go full ham and immediately put on the pressure, but that'd basically instantly validate their opposition's arguments and I don't believe they're that stupid.

Anyone who defends net neutrality enforced by the government is a filthy commie.

I would genuinely consider moving out of my country if it abolished net neutrality regulations.

Pretty soon the west is going to be so locked down all sense of "freedom" will be nothing but a joke.

that's nice, but not everyone has the luxury of moving to another country.

Image very much relevant. ISPs would chop it down to a cable-TV2 and restrict access to any other site they dislike.

that's fake you retard

the worst that will happen is paying $5 extra for specific things like youtube to not count to your data cap

Obviously the prices and terms listed here is ridicules.
But I could see how an ISP would sell services as if unlimited access to that tool is worth the extra payment.
We have it here with mobile ISP's.
But mobile ISP's are different to landline ISP's.
If you use the network a lot, others might not get through. The bandwidth is limited.
With wired networks, you can decrease the speed of the network to make sure everyone can have unlimited speeds.
If you do that on a wireless network, the speed would be very slow or they would spend a lot more money in upgrading the network.
Assuming this is the case, unlimited access to a site doesn't make sense, either they can provide unlimited access or they can't.
Within the network shouldn't make a difference if it is wireless.

>data cap
should be illegal for broadband you fucking bootlicker

>He didnt buy the Sup Forums package for $15/mo with 100kbps speed and a monthly cap of 500mb data transferred
better block those thumbnails, goy!

here it is folks, someone who cant spell ridiculous gets to vote on whether the modern library of alexandria gets turned into a barnes and noble

fucking hell

OKay, let's make it personal for (you), OP.

Imagine an Internets where your ISP monitors your traffic, and they determine that about 80% of your gameplay is through about 5 games, your favorites. Your online gaming functions through about ten websites, one way or another. There really aren't any alternates, and even if there are they will track your use of other such sites & proxies in short order.

Your ISP then throttles your access to those services, puts a datacap on your access to those sites, and your connections get dropped and stutter regularly.

All this is happening inside a black box: there is no way for you to nkow what is happening, if it is deliberate or just bad connection timeslots, some other mystery bug or interruption in the system. All you know is that your gaming experience sucks balls and you keep getting your ass handed to you by other players because of crazy lag and other artifacts on your end. Nothing you can do to troubleshoot it identifies what teh problem is.

At the end of the month you get a bill for $300 for exceeding your datacap and your ISP includes ads and coupons to "upgrade" your service contract.

Imagine even further that you only have one other ISP option where you live, and that they are willing to run a FIOS line to your house for a small service fee of only $2000, so long as you enter into a 36 month contract with them. And, by terminating your contract with your current service, you do have to pay the remaining 19 months on that contract plus a small penalty of $500 for bailing on the contract before it ran out.

The new ISP monitors your activity for the first 30 days of your new contract and immediately starts to throttle your access and puts datacaps on your plan. You now have no other ISP to switch to, unless you move to another county or state.

This isn't even "worst case." Just a small example of what will happen as standard practice.

Like China, but run by businesses instead of the government.

>charging companies extra to get full-speed access (or any access at all) to their consumers,

So right now, everyone gets full speed access.

If this goes through they will actively slow down little guys.

Say good bye to hosting your own website/server. Long live Go Daddy & Bluehost!

>paying $5 extra for specific things like youtube to not count to your data cap

>data cap

>I love my wife, I just have to buy her jewely every week and she won't go fuck Tyrone at the club

What
A
Cuck

Yea, and chinese stores will load at most at 1 page per minute because you never bought the Asia region 2 advanced package with 10GB Asia traffic.

The 10x markup resellers on amazon will work okay, they pay amazon which in turn pays every ISP to be the only reliable and fast loading shop on mobile internet.

what will this look like for websites that are "off the grid"?
they can put extra costs on stuff they know about but what about the less popular sites that are mostly unknown to ISPs.
will they just be completely blocked?

US companies and services are quite relevant to the internet still. There may be problems with service.

And of course other fucking companies all over the world will be encouraged to push for the US situation regionally.

Probably throttled to 50 priority classes below everyone else (crazy loading times) or not served at all on some plans, sure.

>128kbps afterwords
Which will lead to a text based internet, thus removing normies from the internet and making it an insiders club again. I'm okay with this.

You already have it as your cell phone plan fucks you with data caps and charging for shit connections.

The democrats should have passed it earlier, but instead they decided to be assholes and tack shit on by giving more overreach by the government that gave them a toehold.

They also fucked up by putting this in the FCC's hands rather than getting the FTC to do their fucking job with consumer protection laws.

There was absolutely no reason they couldn't have passed it earlier other than to try to force anyone who thought it was a good idea to vote on this issue alone.