Chinese mini-pcs

Are these any good? Can you run GNU+Linux or *BSD on them? How is driver support? They come with Windows 10 Home preinstalled, could you wipe it out and install Windows 10 LTSB? Could you go as far as installing Windows 7? They use a Intel X5-Z8350 or X5-Z8300 with 2-4GB and 32-64GB eMMC.

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/87383/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8300-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-1_84-GHz
gearbest.com/tv-box-c_11262/
asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900M Pro3/
liliputing.com/2015/11/intels-cheapest-atom-x5-chip-supports-4gb-of-ram-after-all.html
gearbest.com/mini-pc/pp_826526.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Care to post a few links to where I could buy them?

>ark.intel.com/products/87383/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8300-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-1_84-GHz
>max memory 2gb
>mini pc claiming to have 4gb
>chinks

I use one alongside my pi cluster - it's been excellent, especially considering the cost

If I could afford I'd buy another 8+ and use them as cluster nodes.

gearbest.com/tv-box-c_11262/

those Intel pages can be a little misleading in some things - J1900 is listed as 8GB max, mine runs fine with 16GB

Are you sysadmin apprentice of gensokyo? Anyway so you confirm it works on GNU+Linux, does every piece of hardware work? Bluetooth, wifi, etc.? Did you try *BSD?

Did you have to mess with it for it to work? I'm skeptical since we all know about the pen drive 1TB scam.

well all I can say fro certain is that this one does - it depends on how the bios is configured.

I don't think the wifi/bt works out of the box (I also think audio over hdmi is an issue) however I do think there are kernel patches floating around that fix it. In all honesty It's not something i needed so never looked at it.

BSD, I've no idea out, not familiar enough with how it handles UEFI to say.

Nope, just popped 16GB in and it was fine - tho you're right to be caucious

i bought one called a khadas vim. has hardware schems and all software online, completely open source they say. I haven't done anything much with it other than use it as a kodi box on my tv, but the option is there if I ever want to tinker .

I see, thanks for the input. Also one more thing, do you know if you can install Windows 10 LTSB on it?

also, the j1900 was a normal asrock board, nothing obscure from a small chinese brand.

asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q1900M Pro3/

Found this: liliputing.com/2015/11/intels-cheapest-atom-x5-chip-supports-4gb-of-ram-after-all.html

This clears it up somehow.

I would thinks so - my z83 came with win10 home pre installed

why would you carry this shit around instead of a 10" laptop?

Some people don't want an ultra low quality display + and ultra low quality keyboard attached to their PC

so instead you hope to find high quality ones when you reach your destination?

Something of note, Intel are not supporting these chips anymore, and subsequently they haven't received updated graphics drivers for newer versions of Windows (creators update+).

If you are looking to use them with Windows, don't bother, pay a little more and pick up a Pentium/Celeron version.

My GPD pocket has 8GB usable ram using an x7 8350.

Why would it matter, isn't it Windows 10 still?

It means you won't get new versions of Windows 10. So if Microsoft introduce a function you want in the future, you can't get it.

You'll also find a lot of libraries are going to be tied to Windows versions moving forward, being MS are twats.

I don't understand, I'm able to install Windows 7 on XP era laptops and nothing happens, why would it be different with newer versions of 10?

t. Jimmyageek

Microsoft changed the way the OS interacts with the driver in Windows 10 Creators Update. This in turn clashes with the way Intel implemented their driver.

As a result, text and icons in Explorer don't render correctly and can't be seen. It also causes flickering and other issues in other parts of the OS, but in general, it's fucked.

Intel are no longer providing support for the chip, thus no driver updates for the iGPU. Thus the issue will not be fixed and Microsoft have stopped rolling out the update to devices with these chips because they're fucked. tl;dr - No more updates.

The reason your Windows 7 installs work in XP era laptops is because Intel/MS/Whoever put in the work to ensure the drivers were available for the chipset.

Fuck
>Thus the issue will not be fixed and Microsoft have stopped rolling out the update to devices with these chips because they're fucked. tl;dr - No more updates.
So they've stopped ALL updates to these devices or only updates related to the driver stuff?

Dude.. What about Windows 10 updates aren't available for it do you not get.

YOU GET NOTHING. Windows Display Manager cannot correctly interface with the driver, and Microsoft do not support old builds. You're out of luck.

while that is a load of pita bullshit from intel and MS, isnt it more a clovertrail issue (just now) and not so much cherry trail?

That's just for clover trail you mongrel.

im waiting™ for amd's oems to start dropping things like this with raven ridge

Why wait for that...? Current Intels do the job as media htpc fine and if raven ridge actually turns out to be great and just as cheaply available and you still need it, it won't be too late to upgrade.

Botnet-in-a-box

Yea, it is a computer.

Inb4 chinese botnet is more botnet than US value added, *as a service hosted, privacy destroying license powered botnet with liability for anything that might go wrong limited to $5 or $0.

I don't know why but I find this strangely alluring:
gearbest.com/mini-pc/pp_826526.html

>pirate chinese movie
>botnet knows
>chinese assassins get sent to kill you

Looks like something you'd put in a coffee table.

aye, it does have an allure about it - bit steep for what it is mind you

Any good models on eBay?

get as asrock deskmini 110, it's a nuc with a desktop processor

stop being poor and by an i7 you poorfag piece of shit

I hope you get cancer.

I've got one - Z8350 with 2GB. I use it with a mini keyboard instead of an android box so I can use Steam streaming in my bedroom. I've got no complaints, except that I paid about $100

Yeah one of the best things about it is the price. It kills the raspberry pi for the price and it's x64, you can even play "old" games in it. I'm going to get one with 4gb of ram though, have you noticed if you're lacking with 2gb?

>no gpio
>better than raspi

I thought you were better than this Sup Forums

comrade-net

because i want the complete amd experience

Yet another chink shill thread

Can you image the drives on these mini pcs? I'm asking because they have eMMC drives.

I forgot to add "with clonezilla".

bumping for interest

>Are these any good?
No

Should work fine.

neato, thanks

If you want gpio buy a atmega for £2

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.
Thanks for listening.