So does Sup Forums actually have any non-meme reasons why they support net neutrality besides "muh freedom and privacy"...

So does Sup Forums actually have any non-meme reasons why they support net neutrality besides "muh freedom and privacy"?

Throttling internet speed based on peak and off peak hours is entirely justified especially against pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth using VPN software.

because companies with infinite resources will have a monopoly over the traffic

Then deal with those faggots.
I pay for the line, I don't give a shit that Comcast is too cheap to expand their network after already receiving billions in government subsidies.
They can suck my cock. NN is needed, don't be a dumb goy.

>pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth
Did you hear that from infowars by any chance?

>pirates hog bandwidth
one house full of roasties uses mire bandwidth for netflix than any pirate

dumb baiting frogposter

>falling for corporate lobbying

>because companies with infinite resources

If that were really truly my broadband speed wouldn't be 4 mb/s in 2017 when South Korea and Japan has 50 mb/s on average.

Internet companies aren't investing for shit on infrastructure because of net neutrality regulations.

>pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth using VPN software
I don't get it. You pay for a certain bandwidth, and that's what you get. How can someone "hog" more than they pay for?

>I have to pay more because someone else is pirating media

Piss off frogposter.

>does anyone advocate for something besides this really good reason to advocate for something??

kys dumb frogposter

Telephone calls from corporations trying to sell you a product should have priority over calls from non-corporations. If I am talking to a friend, and that friend is a normal non-billionaire, then a corporation should have the power to cut off my friend and take over my call.

What is all this "phone call neutrality" nonsense where all calls are treated the same? This stuff should end. Those who pay more should have priority! Anyone who says otherwise is a Communist Nazi! USA! USA! USA!

Are you fucking out of your mind?
There is every reason to support net neutrality. Fuck you NSA James Bond kill yourself and never use Pepe again.

I don't support Net Neutrality. Really hope it gets killed for good next week.

This
I want nu-Sup Forums to leave and I'm a newfag

If the rules are lifted, big companies will pay for their traffic to get through. Say goodbye to hosting your own server or hosting something cool at a host smaller than godaddy or bluehost.

I'm pretty far right, but it's abundantly clear that republicans are generally to tech illiterate to understand that ISPs are literally colluding and blocking competition.

Removing this regulation will usher in an age of digital racketeering.

>Throttling internet speed based on peak and off peak hours is entirely justified especially against pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth using VPN software.
It's not, you pay for bandwidth that ought to be available 24 fucking 7

If it isn't, the provider should refund you for failing to deliver

Fuck you.

>Throttling internet speed based on [incorrect assumption]
net neutrality has nothing to do with data transfer caps or throttling speeds, those are completely reasonable if not a symptom of shitty companies, it has to do with ISPs preferring to throttle speeds to one particular provider or some particular traffic over another
let's say that hulu pays your ISP for unmanaged traffic, that means any time you want to watch amazon video, youtube, netflix, hbo, etc, your speeds are going to be artificially worse than they will with hulu, it also creates HUGE incentives for ISPs to start their own streaming service especially if they're already partnered with traditional television media, which MANY ISPs are, as there's no now legal issues with selectively managing traffic
so imagine that, you want to watch your subscription to netflix and you think it's okay because netflix pays your ISP for unmanaged traffic, not only are netflix going to increase your subscription cost, your ISP won't reduce its subscription cost (as their deal is with netflix, not you) and any time you want to watch any other streaming media service you'll have playback issues - at the end of the day you're paying more money for a worse browsing experience and none of this touching on ISPs building (or not building it as the case may be) their network using tax subsidiaries, voting to disallow net neutrality is literally cucking yourself

and let's not pretend like pirates are the only high bandwidth users, not with the high availability of legal streaming services like hulu, netflix, amazon, hbo, tv on demand, youtube, twitch, or game distribution services like steam, origin, uplay, etc

My reason is that the internet has been working fine this whole time, (well, except for mobile, that needs to change a bit I think,) why change it?

just because they have 'infinite' resources doesn't mean they want to hookup rural shit holes with high-speed fibre especially not when rural areas are the most costly areas to provide good internet to, having to seek landowner permission from dozens of people just to lay lines, only for the lowest payout of all their customers
they're a business and they want to make money in cost effective ways, if you want good connectivity for the last few miles you need the government to do it which means landowners and voters are going to be riled up when the government wants to dig through a dozen fields just to connect 2-3 people, alternatively you pull a 2nd or 3rd world shithole move like romania and have thousands of cooperative isps which can lay cable anywhere - even in the uk you have cooperative ISPs that try to get the landowners involved in laying good fibre and providing gigabit speeds for reasonable subscription fees
what I'm trying to say is, if you want good rural connectivity move to a country like sweden where even shitty towns can likely provide 100/100 or sometimes gigabit speeds

>Throttling internet speed based on peak and off peak hours is entirely justified
It isn't when the same speed is available for anyone at all times anyway. Unless you're sharing the same connection with your family or dorm members you underage fag

Why are corporations FOR NN then?

>Throttling internet speed based on peak and off peak hours is entirely justified especially against pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth using VPN software.

Thats why its a legal exception in net neutrality law you retarded shill.

>Are there any non meme reasons why they support net neutrality besides "muh freedom and privacy"

Holy shit. This post has to be bait.
There are already companies who actively throttle bandwidth to certain popular websites to further inflate the amount of money they get from customers in other countries. It's a money grubbing scheme, and if you are seriously suggesting that digital multiplexing is somehow NECESSARY and JUSTIFIED when their oligarchal behavior already has an unholy profit margin, you don't understand the issue at all. You don't understand how an ISP develops and you don't understand how the industry has degenerated.

The "Free Market"(tm) operates to encourage both higher quality and cheaper cost over time. The internet service provider "industry" is an oligarchical clusterfuck of maybe 3-5 ISPs subdivided among larger conglomerates. As a consequence, most ISPs exist within a geographic monopoly. Even in busy, well populated cities with consistently paying customers. Profit margins are fucking huge, especially for underground lines which require fuckall maintenance.

If you are being sold a fucking internet capacity, and that internet capacity is not being delivered to your router, then they aren't paying the necessary cost to SELL you the consistent speed you're currently getting. They don't have to rebuy the land they already bought from the state, they just have to buy and place the wires. The cost of reburying a larger cable is fucking laughable when you consider 300$ per household every 6 months, at least.

They're cutting corners by using digital multiplexing to increasing their profit margins. Go look it up and get an understanding of what that is like. "Pirates" aren't taking up an ounce of your internet speed, your ISP hasn't buried the necessary fucking lines.

and the "pirates who hog 90% of the bandwidth using VPN software" is also fucking fabricated. You have absolutely no sources whatsoever to back up that statement.

If ISPs are given the ability to assign "fast lanes", they can use this "fast lane eligibility" to extort other companies and their bandwidth. Pay us a premium or we won't "establish infrastructure to put you into our fast lane program"

They have the ability to arbitrarily destroy any business that uses the internet to function logistically. They can, and have in the past, attempted to use this to extort money out of both consumers and businesses.

YouTube and Netflix take up more than half the bandwidth in usa. Stop making shit up you cuntbag.

throttling and QoS are different things you twat

nn allows qos so everyone can get a share of bandwidth. qos is independent of data content.

throttling is slowing someone down purely because you disagree with the data content, not for quality of service reasons

Some are for it, like google, because they have a lot of money to be lost if isps decide you can't go to their shit at more than 5kbps.

Some are against it, like Comcast, because they want another way to fuck consumers over and make more money.

I don't get all the anti-NN people here though. If any site will get blacklisted by ISPs, it'd be Sup Forums.

Basically fuck ISPs.

I think infowars would be against the destruction of net neutrality.

how much badwidth do you think ads waste?

I hope this is bait

>I don't get all the anti-NN people here though.
They're dumb libertarians that make the fallacy that all regulations are bad

Strong bait there

How do you lie like this and still sleep at night? You're a fucking drain on society.