/sqt/ /sqg/ - Stupid Questions Thread / SQ General

Last one almost at limit

Is there some kind of Software that checks your build for bottlenecks and recommends settings optimizations?

Like detection of bad configs or programs that inhibit performance. For example just disabling f.lux gave me 20 FPS more in VR, setting process priority to high +5-8, tweaking Nvidia control panel another 5 FPS, enabling SteamVR reprojection another 10.... I'm sure there's much more I can push that I haven't tried.

I'm running 5 display devices, 3x DP for 1440p Dells & 1x HTC Vive on a GTX 1080, 1x HDMI off Internal GPU.

Getting decent performance in AAA titles, but TERRIBLE performance in VR for some reason.

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=javascript break into multiple lines
windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7
howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm trying to type up my coursework with LaTeX, but for some reason packages aren't working (specifically it's amsmath that I'm trying to use, but I get the same problem with other packages). I know these packages are installed because:

>attempting to manually install them gives an "already the newest version" message
>entering kpsewhich amsmath.sty into the terminal gives me the package location
>typing \usepackage{ into LaTeXila gives amsmath etc as autocomplete options

But when I add the closing curly bracket I get a "no matching proposal" message, and the PDF won't generate if I have any amsmath code in the document (or code from whichever package I'm trying to run). Is there some formatting trick I'm missing? Is LaTeXila just a buggy program? There must be people on Sup Forums who run Linux and use LaTeX, help me out here.

My hard drive on my laptop failed. When I turn it on I can hear it whirr then click 3 times then the boot screen loads up. From what I have read this is usually due to a failed hard drive. Is it possible to re-align the hard drive in some way(I dropped it) or is it fucked. Also, how hard is it to swap our a laptop hard drive?

What's the difference between an IP datagram, an IP header and a header field?
I see datagram and header used almost interchangeably and it's confusing.

Is it possible to have like my computer hooked to my monitor and TV BUT I want the TV only for a specific use to watch shows and movies and not capture my regular desktop screen or function as a second monitor, is there a way to do this if so how?

Just change monitor settings each time you need the tv. There was a Windows shortcut for that, win+l or something. For Linux check with xrender.

Not a Latex user, but have you tried running latex from the command line? It should give you enough information to know what's wrong

I think I've tried doing this before but the sound would then come from my computer's speakers and not the TV ones

So I managed to put together a dual core PC and would like to install manjaro but I saw it dropped 32bit support in 17.0.3, should I just use the latest x64 version even tho I just have 2GB of RAM or try something like mint?

>spent four days creating and configuring babby's first server
>something as simple as a mumble server for centos7
>did this in my home network
>did this without realizing that my modem does not allow users to manually port forward shit
At least I managed to build a cool local network, I guess. I'm still mad about having to recreate it with school hardware from scratch.

How do I make qbittorrent display download speed in megabytes instead of megabits?

Look here:

does it really matter when the value will be 0 either way?

related to this:
Does anyone have any clue why I can't ping my VM's domain name from my Workstation?
hosts & hostname files in /etc/, and ifcfg-enp0s3(eth0 for most people) in network-scripts should have been configured properly. I can ping my hostname inside the VM, but can't ping it from anywhere else.

Firewall, I had the same problem
Also change ISP

Can you run a chocolate fountain perpetually with the same chocolate? Or will it go bad eventually?

Chocolate fountain will probably get used up over time because of people dipping their food there.

REPLY TO MY POST DAMMIT

>how hard is it to swap our a laptop hard drive?
Depending on the model not hard at all. Sometimes there's a little hatch that opens up and exposes the hard drive bays. Other times you basically have to break the bottom off the thing to get access to the inside.

Replacing a hard drive is easy, fixing a broken one is difficult and usually not worth the time (you of course have backups of all your important data, right!)

Why does Brave always wants to update everytime I say something anti semitic?

is it possible to break a long if statement in multiple lines in javascript using \ ?

Whats a good guide to Skylake overclocking? Been running my i5-6600K stock so far and now I have time to tinker with it a bit.

lmgtfy.com/?q=javascript break into multiple lines

Literally the first result.

What's the best intrusion detection/prevention system for a small business that doesn't have any IT staff? Is Trend Micro any good?

Trying to compile firefox with lld linker.
I used "ac_add_options --enable-linker=lld" in .mozconfig but during compilation firefox complains about "--enable-linker=lld" being invalid. I've tried with just "--enable-lld" as well but its also invalid.

How can you unit-test a function in C which just frees a list of data?

What are the consequences of having a router behind a different router?

A window just popped up telling me that "Windows must be reinstalled to activate" or some shit. This happened a few minutes after I did the slmgr -rearm thing to extend the trial, which is something I've been doing on a monthly basis since january 2016. Never saw this error/warning window before.

what do? I put off restarting after inputting the command, will it be fixed by simply restarting now?

w2c the birb on the left?

Hi how is this part called and where can i buy a new one from Europe ? Mine is broken and i need to replace it

Why do they tell you to reinstall windows if you replace too many hardware parts

There is a UUID generated from all the parts in your system, if it varies too much from your orginal key you need to reinstall as windows seems it as a new system

Just downloaded Firefox Quantum and now videos look like this.

What gives?

Should I replace my DVD drive with a BD drive or have one of both?

Why the fuck is legacy captcha not working

works on my machine, must be your server local google server being fucky sometimes it stops working for me but it goes back to normal after a short while

how much can it vary?

How do I use wildcards in the 4chanX comment filters? I don't understand the syntax.

Closed nat type, difficulty connecting to some other gamers, increased ping time/latency, difficulty connecting to torrent peers, no file/printer/media sharing between devices on the two networks.

i just installed firefox nightly, wtf is this blank space on the top left, goggle didn't help

HOW DO I HIDE THE FUCKING TITLE BAR IN FIREFOX 57???
fuck, why did I even update it?
what are your genera Firefox 57l recovery tips?

Where can I go to buy SSD's and not get fucked

Can I register a domain with a number.

Example: Normally is mysite.com; mysite.net...

but I wanna something like mysite.10

Is it possible?

and if I disable NAT?
The problem is that I got a box from my provider and can't find any modem here, but want to have my own router and access my network via VPN.

No.

I have a lot of data in openoffice calc, every datapoint has a timestamp like that looks like "2017/10/30 16:44:11" I need to substract these timestamps to get the difference in time between 2 datapoints. Is there any way to do this or to maybe a way to convert it to unix time.

You can have subdomains so it would be 10.mysiste.net but not the other way around

I fucked around with the about:config yesterday and I don't know what to change back.

Thanks.

I meant libreoffice

I'm about to buy my new pc, but then I was told to check the RAM compatibility list of my motherboard (GA-AB350-Gaming, v1)

apparently these motherfuckers don't actually update it at all so it lists only very few models of RAM 3200Mhz DDR4

But choosing among only that selection would probably make me spend way more than necessary

Can I expect my RAM to work even tho it's not listed in there, with a reasonable confidence?

For reference, I wanted to get the G.Skill - Flare X Series, 2x8Gb

Put the ISP router in bridge mode.

Palm rest? Ebay has some, spare parts can be hard to find sometimes.

Which is faster for a browser?
GTK2 or GTK3?

How do I launch desktop from terminal in linux?
When I try to run a program after ctrl+alt+f2 the terminal says it cant find display

Is a benq AHVA+ 24" 1080p monitor with 3000:1 contrast ratio a worthy upgrade for me, if I only plan to watch movies and play some non-competitive vidya on it? Currently have a tn panel cheapass philips 1080p 21", main reason i want the benq is bc i need hdmi, and bigger screen. My gpu is 970 memecard so no point going for 1440p i guess.

not possible
Additionally I'm behind DS-lite

If you have access to the ISP router's settings then it's probably possible. Otherwise you can set up the secondary router as a passive access point, but that may limit what it can do for you beyond increasing your wifi range.

I'm trying to create a food network where each node is a recipe and I need a (better) weighting scheme.

Edges between recipes are drawn if the recipes share an ingredient.
The thickness of an edge is determined by the intersection over union of the ingredients,
i.e. how many ingredients the recipes share divided by the total amount of ingredients in the two recipes.

This system would be better if ingredients were weighted; some ingredients are really popular, almost all recipes include salt.
Therefore salt should not add as much to edge thickness as an obscure ingredients.

At the moment I'm using this to determine the weight an ingredient adds to the edge thickness.

ingredientFreq = (ingredientCount / allIngredientsCount)

ingredientWeight = - ln(ingredientFreq)

It works to the extent that
salt = 3
beef stock = 8
yucca root = 13
With salt being the most popular and yucca root being the most obscure ingredient, appearing only once.

I used this formula because it seemed intuitive. Any better ideas on how to do this?

Got a free Windows 8.1 tablet and I want to use it as a second monitor, but all the stuff I could find are VNC shit, and I'd like to use something with the USB cable instead, like with an android and iDisplay, it worked fine.

trying to install powerline on my x200

Why the fuck does it take a full 3 seconds to load? Is it really this bloated and shit?

Or have I done something wrong?

I'm currently using windows 10 that upgraded from 7. I'm building a new pc and need to install windows on it. How do I get my windows cd key for windows 10 to install on my new pc?

Legally a court can compel you to provide the password to unlock your device/files. How do they actually compel you do divulge it? I mean they can't physically make you give it to them...

The judge issues a warrant to have you tortured until you divulge it.

I've been floundering for the past two years and I am desperate to get away from the retail/customer service abyss.

What's the quickest way into an IT job assuming I have basic programming knowledge in Python and knowledge of Linux?
By far and away the most job postings related to IT are for java/c# web developers but I'd rather avoid those.

They can probably charge you for withholding evidence or something, and slap a very unfair punishment on it as incentive.

Bump

Do I need an initramfs if I want to specify the rootfs in my boot manager config instead of the built-in kernel parameters?

Anyone know the nomenclature used for Dells Optiplex desktop line? Im interested in a 7010 and 9010 but they seem practically the same. I recall Latitudes have a similar scheme where they can be virtually identical except for very minor details.

Alright Sup Forums easy one for you today. I have the unstable developer release of windows 10 and my last computer wont boot after the newest update. If I just install my HDD in another computer can I boot it from another comp, or how else could i recover all the files on the HDD before I reinstall the OS. Thank you.

I essentially want to rip the disc and upload it to another comp

>error: usb/dvd driver not detected for win 7 install

im gonna fucking kys myself
neither disk nor usb works, am using 2.0 ports as directed, tried the port switch tip

200-series if it matters

I have Dell Inpiron laptop 1500. The higher the number is a newer year release in Inspirions. The Inspirion 1500, 1600, and 1700 have differnet i5s and thats about it.

too soon bump

Are there actually hitmen on the deep web?

An old laptop with 6gb of ram + (1) dd-wrt enabled router or (2) dedicated os for nas, vpn, and personal cloud storage ? It'll be used primarily for raw data storage and intermittent backups.

Factoring an ingredient's frequency in the entire population of recipes might simply do the trick, e.g. new weight = old weight - old weight * population frequency. Example, for salt:

salt weight = 3
99% of recipes include salt
new salt weight = 3 - 3 * 0.99 ~ 0

Maybe it'll be this simple. Or you might need use more "advanced" statistical tools like z-score, normal distribution, etc. Statistics should be helpful either way.

My PS1 is set as "\u@\h \w > " on bash, but when I log into ksh or zsh it actually displays \u @ \h \w literally instead of replacing them with the correct values. This triggers my autism, what should I do?

Can someone answer my question? How to recover HDD files because of hardware failure but the HDD is fine. Just slap the HDD in another comp?

Instead of jerking off I decided to look trough the html code of the page that has the content I wanted to jerk off to and see if I can get it for free.

It's an mp3 file, would it be as simple as putting togheter download token + filename to find it?

No. Hitmen in real life are usually drug addicts being paid $100 to shoot someone and then hopefully get away. Nobody actually makes a career out of killing people let alone use a website for attracting clients.

>Nobody actually makes a career out of killing people
>what are PMCs
Mercs don't only work for huge contractors like Academi, some small and really shady groups are out there too

>t. hitman who doesnt want any competition

>I am desperate to get away from the retail/customer service abyss.
>but I don't want to do web development
Don't sound that desperate.

5th amendment prevents this.

This You would be charged with disobeying a court order which can have ridiculously harsh punishments attached to them.

How do I create a new torrent on Linux using rtorrent?
Basically there's a large file I want to download over a torrent but it's available only over HTTPS so I wget'd it on my server and would like to download it using a torrent now from my server.

They kidnap you and push a fiberglass brush up your urethra until you divulge the password.

I was thinking about picking up a 4K monitor in the future but it seems like my computer can't handle 4K video playback at 60Hz without tons of frame skips. What GPU would be good for my use case? My CPU is an i5-6600.

If I use GParted Live on a fresh install of any OS and make a copy of the partition table, can't I just apply that table to any drive it can fit on and distribute whatever OS as long as it isn't a internet only botnet OS? Like Windows 10 wouldn't work but what about 8 or 7?

No, you wouldnt.
5th amendment.
Unless they KNOW you have illegal material thats part of your court case, as in you have shared it via your ip, person of law has seen it on your desktop/phone/physical media, you have posted about it with screenshots, or otherwise proven without a doubt that you are in possession of said illegal material, they cant do shit. Lawyer up and plead the 5th and you're golden. They cant force you to incriminate your self, no matter what orders they try to throw on you.

It's technically against the TOS, but if you're killing the copy of windows on the old pc, you can usually get away with pairing your microsoft account then using the system for replacing damaged mobos to transfer the license.

windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

>my last computer wont boot after the newest update
>How to recover HDD files because of hardware failure
How is that a hardware failure?

You can sysprep any version of windows and image it. Kills any windows license but the image works out of the box on any hardware as long as there aren't critical drivers missing

They can hold you indefinitely until you comply.
5th amendment hasn't saved anyone since the patriot act.

what do you use for webm thumbnails in windows?

I'm a pleb trying to learn electronics, which is a good software for PCB/diagram sketching? preferably multi-language.

>How is that a hardware failure?

Mayve you can help me. I thought my hardware might be incompatiable with the lastest windows 10 build? What else could be the cause of a computer not booting in a normal bios? I ran a hardware scan and my CPU GPU and memory are all fine.

Tldr how to fix a computer being stuck on boot screen

>It's technically against the TOS, but if you're killing the copy of windows on the old pc, you can usually get away with pairing your microsoft account then using the system for replacing damaged mobos to transfer the license.
I'll probably just buy one of those $20 windows 10 keys then. Thanks for the response.

How would I use use ffmpeg to convert mkv to mp4?

I don't want to change anything except the container format.

You can still squeeze out a free key

pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Shit probably installed wrong.

howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/

Comeon bud
ffmpeg -i file.mkv file2.mp4

>You can still squeeze out a free key
TOP LAD