Getting into Cryptography

How would one get into a Cryptography R&D career? I'm currently majoring in Mathematics and Computing, on the 2nd year, and I am really interested in the Maths behind this and how to improve cryptographic security measures.
Any user with deep experience with cryptography? How do I get into the industry and research?

Other urls found in this thread:

security.stackexchange.com/questions/42356/ecc-brainpool-standard-curves-and-curve-generation-with-bouncy-castle-which-seed
wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470474246.html
schneier.com/academic/paperfiles/paper-self-study.pdf
amazon.com/gp/product/047013593X/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

Crypto is a wide field and you get into it like every other one by attending courses and reading papers. The Udacity course looks ok to me, but I'd prefer to attend one in person. After you got the basics you have to decide what to specialize in (protocols, symmetric primitives, post quantum etc).

>Cryptography

say hi to bubba in jail you commie shit

You don't decrypt using a private key

is there any Sup Forums approved literature on this field?

1. Read a lot and educate yourself about the subject.
2. Go to conferences and involve yourself in the community.
3. Approach professors at your university about working with them on research.
4. Apply to PhD program.
5. Conduct original research for your thesis.
6. Become an academic researcher and continue your work on crypto.

Unless you are maths genius don't bother. You can't blag cryptography if you don't know the maths like you can blag a fizzbuzz.

>majoring in Mathematics and Computing

just remember mcdonalds hires all year round

Getting into the Security field through EE/CE here, what little advice I can give you through 2 years of looking Crypto up:
1) Read about the basics, that is, learn what all the majorly used algorithms/encryption standards of now are (eg AES) and how/ why they came about
I cannot recommend Bruce Schneier enough
2)After you get a firm grasp of the reasoning and thought process behind the design of all of these, look up on ways the algorithms that existed before them were mathematically broken, and understand the reasoning and thought process behind breaking such algorithms
3) Gather any recent paper you can find and try to literally force your way into the field by discussing it with others, perhaps a professor. If they like you, they may give you assignments they got no time for (that's what I did), after all, all you have ia time.
3b) Perhaps you can skip 3 altogether and a professor can give you an assignment on knowledge from 1 and 2 alone. Either way, getting comnections in the field is the way to break into it

OP here.
Yeah, any books would be appreciated.
I havealready researched a bunch about crypto by myself.
I was looking more on how to get into cybersecurity companies that have R&D in house, so I could work on inovative new ways with big budgets (I heard IBM has an R&D division in house).
I think being stuck in academia might not be in the best of my interests. I really want to WORK on this, I'm sick of college and want to make serious money.

I work in crypto, AMA for 15 mins
We build PKIs for gov and IoT
I am a normalfag who sucks at math also

Go to /cyb/+/sec/ board, they have an awfully extensive reading list, pick what you like. I'd really start with Schneier tho
Do you mostly do crypto, or plain cybersec? How does it feel to be in a field where literally every device has absolute shit security?

That is a symmetrical algorithm with a pre-shared, it's been that way for ages until AES came along

What are you most interested in?
First get a basics book, I like the one from JCA vd Lubbe because it's really concise, but he was my crypto teacher.

I took a course first, got that book, tried to implement/use some stuff, then started reading blogs.
Myself I'm most interested in implementation (risks) because as far as I know 99% of 'broken' crypto is due to bad implementation and side channel attacks.
The Malwarebytes blogs on ransomware are pretty cool, also Schneiers blog and Kaspersky. But learn the basics first

Op here.
How did you get into crypto if you suck at maths? Do you just make things with already existing tech or are you doing research and applying new ideas and methods yourself?
>First get a basics book, I like the one from JCA vd Lubbe because it's really concise, but he was my crypto teacher.
As I've said, I've already read a bunch and pretty much know how it works and the different methods existent that are used for encryption/decryption, like eliptical curve cryptography, public key cryptography and the sorts. I really like this field.
What's next? What do I need for a job? I havent finished my major yet, but I don't see job offers in crypto anywhere in my country.

Bruce Schneier

I do mostly cybersec advisory but it's as part of a PKI shop so the client relationship has a foundation around the custom products we deliver, so for the devs it's a lot of having a high-level understanding of various algorithms, ECC for example, but it's not like we are doing research looking for padding oracle attacks or whatever, I don't even know what a padding oracle attack is except that it's a reason to update OpenSSL... basically it's engineering work so the stereotypes of just using things as tools applies

We have guys who have a deeper understanding of things and occasionally it's useful to the team but mostly it's just because they like it and/or have been doing it a long time, I've only been at this for a couple years
The former, also there's a lot of chip-related crypto QA, for example for passports, since taking a bunch of personal data and encrypting it and putting it on a chip in a defined way involves a lot of data transformation, also we have spec guys because basically everything comes down to properly implementing things according to work done by academics, etc.

Take some crypto classes at your uni.

>I am retarded

where is this from?

>Hans that crazy nigga #TRENCHFOOT broke off his leg, he just throw it at them
>Gettin shelled by the Allies with the boyz. Bouta do work clack clack pop pop watchin muthafuccas drop

This is a good example of the most technical level that our team works with: security.stackexchange.com/questions/42356/ecc-brainpool-standard-curves-and-curve-generation-with-bouncy-castle-which-seed

If you want real Alice talks to Bob research type shit I think it's either academia or defense or niche blue-chip private sector companies
Maybe try to get an internship at NIST, that would get a lot of respect from colleagues no matter where you went after

wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0470474246.html

Good book on building, but not breaking crypto.

schneier.com/academic/paperfiles/paper-self-study.pdf
amazon.com/gp/product/047013593X/

Good start for cryptanalysis.

You better be very good at math.

How are you not from the NSA or whatever intelligence agency is against cryptography? your logic and insults made no sense unless you are from a wave of thought police slowly making ground to accuse cryptographers of being communists for keeping their privacy, or any citizen for that matter?