How do i perform a full install of a linux distribution (not a livecd) and put it on a usb-stick?

how do i perform a full install of a linux distribution (not a livecd) and put it on a usb-stick?

1. download iso
2. use rufus
3. boot from usb

that's a liveusb rather than a full install though

and then install in another USB 32GB

You can try with two USBs
and install the os from one to another.

Is it possible to do it in virtualbox, i don't have 2

Are you an idiot? Make a live USB, stick it into your computer, stick another empty USB stick in, install from live USB to the other USB stick

No. It has to be done on actual hardware. kys poorfag, or burn a DVD to install

I am confuse

use a live usb with persistent memory
one of the iso to usb programs could do that, I don't remember the name though

Universal USB installer can do it.

1. install Virtualbox or VMware
2. Get LiveCD/install media for your distro you want
3. Make a VM without a hard disk or at least a tiny one (1MB) if it requires you to add a hard disk during creation, and if you had to make one, remove it from the VM
4. Start VM with live CD
5. Plug in USB, attach to VM
6. Install

Why am I not surprised that none of these shitposters have listed this method. It’s literally the easiest thing in the world. You don’t need 2 flash drives. You can even boot your USB install through the VM if you wish on VMware using the boot selection menu or Plop Bootloader’s ISO. I know it works fine on VMWare but I’m not sure about Vbox. Last time I tried using plop on it it just hung up the whole program.

Enjoy OP.

thanks~

yes, this one

1. Make live USb
2. Run it in RAM (toram start option)
3. use gparted to format USB into ext4, or whatever.
4. Install distro onto same USB as if you would a regular HDD/SSD.

cp -R / /mnt/usbdisk
or
cat /dev/partition > /dev/usbdisk

Yes. Mount the flash drive into virtual box through the USB passthrough, and you're set.

I know that this works, because this is how I do it.

Why would you want that?
This method causes slow boot up.

Because it's a real install you can add on to and update in real time, versus a Live CD. (I'm not OP)

You can do the same with persistence.
Our use a distro that's designed to work from USB flash drive.

How do you update with persistence, other than just replacing the initial RO-FS? I've never come across a distro that's offered that.

>slow boot up

you still using usb 1.1 user? Never had this problem even on USB 2. Unless in the case where you’re running an OS with a shitload of bloat in the form of startup processes. That might be an issue but highly doubtful.

My Debian with MATE starts up in less than 30 seconds every time, if that.

>Too much of a brainlet to use a virtual machine to install to physical drives.