Does anyone know why the games look so dark on my CRT HD 2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz (Sony FW900) compared to my normal LCD TV?

Does anyone know why the games look so dark on my CRT HD 2304 x 1440 at 80 Hz (Sony FW900) compared to my normal LCD TV?

according to the manual it is something of the gamma and it can not be changed in the menu, only the brightness and temperature, the manual says "cinema 2.6" what the fuck does that mean?

>cinema 2.6
It's the electro-optical transfer function, OETF for short. It's a function that dictates what gamma is applied to non-linear input before being projected. However for CRTs this is a natural gamma, so in most cases it's not even applied. Typical gamma is around 2.2, yours 2.6 is meant more for dim lit or dark rooms, you can look around the settings or manuals to increase it.

>OETF for short
oops my mistake – should be EOTF. OETF is a reverse process.

youre better off asking overclock or reddit for these types of questions

thanks mate.

better moving the monitor to my dark room for the meantime

Fucking wasted on you m8!
That thing'll happily do 2560x1600!

I'm not familiar with FW900 but you should take a look in a service manual for hidden menus.

You could alternatively increase the gamma in your graphics settings, this should balance out what the CRT does.

Did you really get one new you little bitch!? Where you at I'll beat ur ass, I'm jelly as fuck m8! Srsly tho change to sRGB in color settings.

>buy overpriced 15+ year old CRT likely owned by a power user
>surprised that the phosphers are worn out
taht thing weighs like 115 pounds

The electron guns in a CRT will give out well before the phosphor does.

Why doesn't a hobbyists user make a custom crt?

CRTs are expensive, complicated, and dangerous to manufacture and repair. You basically have a sealed glass tube lined with lead that will implode if ruptured, and which has lethally high voltages running through it.

In the very early days of TV in the 40s-early 50s, CRT tubes used hand-blown glass, but by 1952 or so they'd switched to machine-blown tubes which allowed higher yields and better-quality glass with fewer bubbles and other imperfections.

The hardest part I can think of is sealing the tube. Hobbyists make much more complex stuff.

CRTs have "true black" levels. if anything, your brightness is too low.

I don't think making a homemade CRT would be excessively hard as long as you stuck with monochrome tubes. Color would be damn near impossible without specialized machinery.

CRT tubes would be baked in an oven to draw the air out of them and create a vacuum.

and why the fuck would you buy some dumb shit like that?

>Color would be damn near impossible without specialized machinery
Explain?

Could you use a stencils to just apply the colored phosphors?

A monochrome CRT has only one electron gun and the front of the tube just has a continuous coating of phosphor. Color CRTs have three guns which have to be aligned/converged properly (very hard to do), and the front of the tube has thousands of tiny phosphor dots in front of a shadow mask which is basically a piece of sheet metal with thousands of tiny holes punched in it.

They would use specialized machines to spray out the phosphor dots and punch holes in the shadow mask. It would be all-but impossible to do this at home, whereas you could conceivably make your own monochrome tube.

The fact that CRTs burn in says otherwise.

Burn-in is more common on computer monitors than TVs, and if you don't run the brightness excessively high, it's less of an issue (plus keeping the brightness at a reasonable level will extend the lifespan of the electron guns).

Phosphor does eventually wear out and lose its luminescence with time, but if properly taken care of it will well outlast the electron guns.

You're right. OP's issue is caused by the fact that CRTs are dim as fuck. People have been spoiled by bright LCDs.

Also by the late 90s it became commonplace for a lot of TV manufacturers to jack up the high voltage on CRTs to get a brighter picture, but it reduced the lifespan of them significantly. Plus many TVs would have a store demo mode that put the brightness and contrast up to 90% so it looks better under the florescent lighting at Best Buy. A lot of people never bothered to adjust their TVs properly and just left it in store demo mode, which resulted in an early death of the tube.

People do make homemade vacuum tubes which are kind of a CRT's little brother.

This post was meant for you

You have to remember that for most manufacturers, making the TV last 20-30 years wasn't a high priority because it would be too expensive and they wanted to sell you a new one.

Why dot mask when you can aperture grille

Still would be pretty difficult to make a homemade one.

Trying to do that by hand would be a bitch.

The voltages in the tube aren't the issue, it's the capacitors in the monitor.

>CRTs have "true black" levels.
Most average consumer-grade CRT TVs had shit black levels. Maybe some high end Sony sets from the 90s-2000s have good blacks.

>only lit phosphors emit any significant light
>no backlight at all
>shit black levels

I had an old Sears 13" color set from the 70s and it had gray instead of black. Black levels got better with improvements to the tubes and digital electronics but a lot of TVs pre-90s had awful blacks.

You had it poorly adjusted.

The problem comes with the phosphors being grayish looking to the eye, internal reflections in the glass, and the fact that the guns cannot always be modulated completely "off."

Actually a lot of TVs made in the 90s-2000s would put black inserts on the shadow mask to improve black levels.

Gotcha.

shhh dont let reddit know about the fw900

bump