GApps tracks location even when GPS is turned off

>GApps tracks location even when GPS is turned off

Why haven’t you switched to the iPhone master race yet?

theverge.com/2017/11/21/16684818/google-location-tracking-cell-tower-data-android-os-firebase-privacy

Other urls found in this thread:

accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund
abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/apple-taken-to-court-by-accc-over-alleged-consumer-misrepresent/8421346
accc.gov.au/media-release/consumer-guarantee-rights-following-samsung-washing-machine-recall
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just use microG

Android fags always find some time consuming way to make their experience with their phone objectively worse for the sole reason of protecting themselves against a Google.

Instead of buying an iPhone in which they sued the FBI because they wanted a backdoor into iOS and Apple didn’t provide it.

No shit. Not that cell tower based location data is accurate but this is beyond unsurprising.

>don't want to be tracked by Google? Sell all your personal information to Applel instead!
Bad shill

>Apple steals your data I promise

This is why you should use Chinese phones.

Can't believe you are this fucking retarded.

They already had an exploit for iPhone. They just wanted to set a legal precident.

Dumb fuck.

It's not stealing if you give them your consent.

INSTALL MICROG

>in which they sued the FBI because they wanted a backdoor into iOS and Apple didn’t provide it.
except that they did the same thing and apple allowed it 70 times before

They can't since I don't have a SIM card nor do I have GApps installed.
Unless you also don't have a SIM in your iPhone your location is known by your provider anyway, and by iOS.

Apple must provide any and all information they are asked to provide as they are a part of PRISM. So you're definitely not secure.
Your location is known by your ISP/SIM provider too. This is how GApps gets your approximate location. And iOS requites a SIM card to work last time I checked.

This.

>location is known by cell carrier
>why shouldn’t Google also have it

Typical logic of a Google nutboy.

Truly brainwashed.

The terms and conditions are intentionally complex to avoid people from reading the documents, which is not illegal but ethically and morally questionable.

A problem is that in some markets these policies can violate the rights of consumers that they can agree to give away their rights in these documents. My right to a "repair, [replacement] and refund" in Australia is clearly outlined document that cannot be refused under law is a good example even if I agreed to the companies terms and conditions:

accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

An example from Apple of violating this law is:

abc.net.au/news/2017-04-06/apple-taken-to-court-by-accc-over-alleged-consumer-misrepresent/8421346

Although Samsung who offer a wider range of products has also been an offender breaching these laws:

accc.gov.au/media-release/consumer-guarantee-rights-following-samsung-washing-machine-recall

tl;dr In some countries these policies are not legally binding agreements and failure to follow local laws can result in fines for the company.

Cell towers cannot give exact locations, even with triangulation.

For starters, you need really really detailed information of the signal strength and drop off over distance in the area in order to do triangulation.

Buildings and terrain cause cellular signal to degrade at differing rates. Is your signal weakened because you are a certain distance from the tower or because you are behind two buildings? You can't tell. You could probably make estimates based on map data but it will still be just an estimate.

Frankly, I don't care that much about this data, whether it is Google, Apple, Microsoft or another company collecting it. It's part of the agreement I accept when I use the services. Yes, I am concerned if they keep the personalized data private, if they just sell it off as "there are X people using Y apps in Z area" then I couldn't give a fuck.

>Apple doesn't steal your data, I promise!!

Cell tower data is often used to catch criminals after the fact.

Nice try.

>Cell towers cannot give exact locations, even with triangulation.

>exact

usually within a few yards they are pretty close, close enough to know you are at a particular store shopping area or how fast you drive to work

They're used to give localities, knowing you are within range that you are connected to a certain tower and such.

>is often used to catch criminals after the fact.
Rather to disprove alibis.

>iPhone

Caring about privacy and data logging and having a smartphone is not exactly things you can have today. Get a dumbphone, get rid of social networking and be fine.

I already figured this out. My phone will still notify me on trafic even when location is off

They can do it even more accurately with wifi triangulating assuming you live in any sort of densely populated area. If you've got wifi on it's scanning those networks and telling google you're scanning them and their signal strength. Using that + known wifi network locations it's dead simple to put you within ~20 meters.

Your Apple fags really think they don't spy on their costumers? They are the first company that took your fingerprints, also most of your shit is stored on the cloud.

>also most of your shit is stored on the cloud with Apple's encryption keys.
Amended that for you.

Because I ditched my android for a dumb phone. No point in switching one botnet for another.

>also most of your shit is stored on the cloud with Apple's encryption keys that NSA has through PRISM.
Amended that for you.

>using anything alphabet

wew lad

They are all shit. I'm sure apple does it too. Although I have to admit google is more creepy about it.

>phone
They all do this. Position via cell tower is basic shit.
Not to favor Apple or anything. I don't see why they'd track your location beyond your typical evil intent. Google loves the data because of advertising. Apple isn't that big there.

Google knows what’s best you fucking Apple fag.

Stop shilling this, it’s probably anonymous data anyway so who cares.

>I love my android phone I just can’t use google apps or have a sim card installed

P U R E S O Y

Because I have a Blackberry

I just don't have gapps or any replacements.
You're tracked as well but you don't have any options to stop it.

>muh google tracking device tracks me
Are you fucking stupid? Of course they're tracking you. that setting was just to turn off one specific way they track you a little bit.

>but you don't have any options to stop it.

The irony.

There's a simple way to stop google tracking you; Leave your smartphone in the bin where it belongs. Grab a dumbphone and then only your cellular network will track you.

What haven't you switched to LineageOS with no gapps?

I dont really care.

KEK

>tfw I've never used an android phone

i don't care.

>spoiled rich autistic kid
checks out