What's the best way to learn programming? I should also clarify that I don't wanna be a script kiddie or w/e

What's the best way to learn programming? I should also clarify that I don't wanna be a script kiddie or w/e.

Other urls found in this thread:

haskellbook.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

learn some fundamental concepts

if/else

Go to a coding camp and intern somewhere doing html/js.

dragon dildos, hrt, and programming socks

don't do this, unless you already transitioned.

find something simple you'd like to program, and choose a language based on that to get your feet wet.
say you want to rename all of your wallpapers in your collection to their resolution so you can easily ctrl-F them. once you find something to program, you can look for a language that can suit. python would be a good one to use in the wallpaper sorting example.
jumping into programming with real big ideas is great, but you'll just get overwhelmed if you don't start with small projects.
at least, that's how i'd approach it.

Programming for what exactly? Do you want to learn actual Computer Science? Do you have some specific sub-field/project in mind? Or do you have no clue and just want some kind of path/guidance?

not OP but i like the idea of indulging myself in optimization autism more than writing applications.

Pay 3k for a college course just to have the teacher's go on a 5 week strike 3 weeks in

Read "The Tao of Programming".

install gentoo

k&r. Read it.

First, you have to understand that this question sounds like "what's the best way to learn music, I like the white keys" to anybody who works with programming. It's hard to answer, because it's not a question that makes sense. We don't know what you want to do, and there's way too much to "programming" to correctly answer this question for all situations.

You'll have to do some research, then ask a more specific question.

Unironically K&R and SICP

Install gentoo

How do you stay motivated, Sup Forums?

Learn the basic concepts, memory basic syntax for your language of choice, practice.

The C programming language
Dennis Ritchie

Ironically K&R and SICP.

Unironically:
haskellbook.com

It's not either or you moron, read both if necessary

Read a book on your language of choice, do the exercises, but also start doing simple projects on the side (game of life, tic tac toe, etc).

>What's the best way to learn programming?
About 10-40 years of doing it, starting with an university degree in comp.sci or maths at a decent university.

>giving programming advice
>doesn't know how "and" works

If you live in the U.S., see what programming language your local university is teaching the first-year CS students. (most likely Java)
Pirate the textbook they are using
Read the fucking textbook
Do ALL of the problems in the textbook