Intel killing the BIOS

>we UEFI now

arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/11/intel-to-kill-off-the-last-vestiges-of-the-ancient-pc-bios-by-2020/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Meh, just expected progress. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

By 2020 and apparently sifive will release risc-v cpus after Christmas. Also i might get an eoma68 pc and make my own laptop(it costs like 50$).
So i know i'll abort ship before that shit happens.

wen u gotta bootload off of NSA compromised flash media

Whenever working RISC-V system gets released, I buy T60, replace motherboard with some powerful RISC-V boards (or few). The best way to have durable, high-performance, portable, open-source PC.

Will this slow down operating systems like TempleOS or is UEFI just as fast?

I like UEFI, really see no disadvantage to it.
>my parents face 5 years ago when I first assembled this pc and used a mouse in the UEFI BIOS

BTW, guys, remember that there's still AMD!

Not if you are an enthousiast that likes to do weird shit. Makes libreboot support a pain in the arse. Also i think it's less secure.
Apparently sifive will release their CPUs soon after Christmas. Also eoma68 exists. It is completely free.
Intel has ME
AMD has PSP
both are supposed to be used on servers. But for some reason are on desktop PCs

Not servers, workstations.

> But for some reason are on desktop PCs
(((some reason)))

What was their problem with BIOS anyway? I found it stupid that someone thought that replacing bios with a whole fucking operating system with mouse support and other useless gimmicks and said "yep thats a neat idea lets use it".

I may sound like a clueless retard but what problems exactly UEFI fixed?

You do realise, consumer boards have been UEFI for over half a decade already?

Are you one of those ThinkPad plebs with a decade old laptop and no single idea or first hand experience of any moderately newer tech? Sure sounds like it.

>Not if you are an enthousiast that likes to do weird shit. Makes libreboot support a pain in the arse. Also i think it's less secure.
Then UEFI is just for you. It's much more modular and hackable than standard BIOS. It's no less secure when the person has physical access to it anyways.

Most modern BIOSes already where small operating systems, they pretty much always where, the UEFI GUI is nothing new or different, UEFI can still look exactly like an old BIOS and many old UEFIs did, people usually didn't even know the difference between a BIOS with a GUI and a UEFI without one when the transition period took place.

UEFI fixed a bunch of things, like allowing bigger drives, allowing direct booting from a filesystem without a MBR, allowing direct OS and driver access to hardware, list goes on.
Workstations and Mac's have used EFI since the 90's, it was about time PC's got on the wagon.

>Intel has ME
>AMD has PSP
>both are supposed to be used on servers. But for some reason are on desktop PCs

>for some reason
I wonder what that reason might be

>like allowing bigger drives
Not a bios limitation
>allowing direct booting from a filesystem without a MBR
And that is good because..?
>allowing direct OS and driver access to hardware
That has absolutely nothing to do with the BIOS
>Workstations and Mac's have used EFI since the 90's
OpenFirmware/OpenBoot is not EFI.

Because desktops are server chips binned and feature locked. If there was a big demand for me it would be lasered off on consumer gear to make an artificial price distinction. Nobody cares so they leave it on.

>Not a bios limitation
It is though. Maybe you would like to google a little before trying to make dumb arguments.

>That has absolutely nothing to do with the BIOS
You don't know how a BIOS works, do you?
The legacy way BIOS boots the system, it stays resident.
You know modern GPUs won't work for that reason with a BIOS system, because the driver want's direct hardware access. The kernel of the system is literary running on the bare metal, without anything in between, unlike with BIOS.

>OpenFirmware/OpenBoot is not EFI.
Where do you think EFI delivered from?

Someday I'll have uboot as the bios and bootloader.

Greetings from 1993.
I still have the computer. The cursor's tail wiggles when you move the mouse.

>The kernel of the system is literary running on the bare metal

I wish! After revelations like these:
youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
I certainly would not believe a thing the kernel sees as "bare metal".

>Where do you think EFI delivered from?
Well, according to Wikipedia, it came from Itanium systems in the mid-1990s. Did you get it wrong with Open Firmware, which did (again, according to Wikipedia) originate from Sun Microsystems and has been used on non-x86 PCI chipset vendors.

This is /g, but it would still be fortunate to understand something about the technological difference between x86 and non-x86. It would also be fortunate, if the concept of "homework" would be familiar to all eager participants of these discussions. At times like these, these things matter, you know.