What is the reason behind learning C#? I've never seen it implemented for anything so I'm just wondering

What is the reason behind learning C#? I've never seen it implemented for anything so I'm just wondering.

Other urls found in this thread:

mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's used everywhere in Europe - enterprise, web applications, mobile apps, etc. It's on par with Java in popularity, and there's not many other platforms that come near. There's not so much a buzz around it in Silicon Valley because soy boys are too busy memeing the newest languages which their favourite brands have released.

At my uni career fair, I would say that about 60% of the companies use it. They use it for server stuff alot because of the .NET framework. The companies that dont use C# usualy use C++ if they do stuff like sensors or video games otherwise they do Javascript stuff. Some companies will want you to do some python for data scraping and Java is used in others for business apps.

I understand but don't web applications use like Node or something else, why C#? I just simply can't wrap my head around why would anyone take their time to learn C#.

I see, but why would a server use C#? I'm really sorry because of my shitty questions but I'm trying to understand. It feels like to me that C# is a blind spot in an ocean of more popular stuff.

In the 90's Java started getting really popular. It's promise of "write once, run anywhere" terrified Microsoft, who held a monopoly and wanted vendor lock-in. So Microsoft created their own implementation of Java called J++. The owners of Java at the time, Sun, sued Microsoft for that shit. So then Microsoft scrapped the project, reworked it, then launched it a few years later as C#. Essentially, the entire purpose of C# is to replace the highly portable Java with Microsoft's own proprietary, vendor locked language.

Now they're attempting to create a cross platform build, but that's only after their attempts failed.

Today, the only companies using it are shitty non-tech "enterprise" companies who sign exclusivity deals with Microsoft because they don't know better, or Indian H1-B abusing companies who want to pay their employees less than half the market rate. If you see any company using C#, that should be a huge red flag.

>It's on par with Java in popularity
>I would say that about 60% of the companies use it
Lol, no. Pic related.

Now. That is a great explanation. I sort of expected this scenario.

Now I'm just going to be so sad that in college we only learn C# for a system administrator course... I understand that it is mainly because schools have a deal with Microsoft for obvious reasons, but it's just so fucking depressing.

>Lol, no. Pic related.
I said at my uni career fair fucking idiot. Different ecosystems have different popular languages. In Montreal its very popular. Alot of video game companies use Unity. Unity itself is here. Alot of companies use it for server stuff. Its the most popular language in the area.

I have no Idea. I don't know C# very much but when i asked at the career fair they would simply respond that the .NET framework is great for that and that its also because its popular in the area so getting C# devs is easier

So if I start learning Java on my own will I have a hard time to jump back to C# at my school, or is it inevitable to learn both at the same time?

Because JS is garbage and some people want performance?

>vendor locked language.
Released as an international standard (ECMA-334 and ECMA-335) with patent agreement.
It's not the language that was vendor locked, but the .NET platform and libraries. The standard only covered the language and base class library, which isn't very useful by itself, but was open enough to allow for competing implementations like Mono, which was fairly successful, and it's due to that success that Microsoft actually beat Java at their game. You can run C# on all 3 major smartphone OS (although one is dead in the water now), where Java only runs on 1 and Objective-C only runs on 1.

>Lol, no. Pic related.
Worldwide, no. In Europe, yes.

>Today, the only companies using it are shitty non-tech "enterprise" companies ...
.NET is common in the UK mainly due to availability of programmers. There has probably been some underhanded means by Microsoft to push it into universities, but those efforts have been somewhat successful. Besides C#, Java, Python and C++, there's not much else taught to undergrads.
For most practical purposes, C# is on par or better than Java, and is preferred by a great number of programmers. It's ahead of Java in progress, as it's now getting quick iterations where Java lags behind by a decade to implement even simple lambdas.
And in Europe, we don't have as large number of people throwing money at stupid ideas in attempt to get rich. Most programming jobs are tightly funded contracts which project managers can't afford to experiment with meme languages. They chose the language which they know they'll be able to assemble a team of programmers who'll be able to work together with each others code and get shit done on budget.

Your Node, Go and Python memes will be as dead in the water as Ruby on Rails in a few years when the next batch of hyped languages replaces them. Java and C# will still be at the top.

Dunno how far you are that learning a new language takes more than an afternoon of syntax,so learn the fundamentals while you're at it
mooc.fi/courses/2013/programming-part-1/

Use at work for wpf work on our company's ERP system.

Think enterprise work that's windows friendly, and has better performance that java. Also a lot of websites are being built with asp.net, so there's that.

I find it useful for writing quick and dirty GUI tools/programs for my own use, that's about it. The language is more pleasant in terms of syntax than Java too (arguably the main competitor filling the same kind of niche). The media server I use is also written in C#.

You can think of C# as just reskinned Java with a huge built-in library (though less third-party libraries), a lot of helpful shorthand for speedy development, and some a pretty great development environment. Companies use it because it's even easier to develop for than Java with equivalent performance, but you're kind of stuck dealing with Microsoft (technically you aren't but if you're not but so many tools are designed to integrate into other Microsoft services).

And C# and Java are so similar as languages that it's not very difficult to find C# developers because they're just Java developers who installed Visual Studio and learned a few different words for things.

>Java and C# will still be at the top.
how does Java manage to keep the top position even after being in decline (with a few hiccups) for a while now? it must have been really, really popular in the 90s and early 2000s so there's a lot of legacy code to maintain. some people are already calling it the "modern cobol".

It might be like COBOL is now in a few decades, but as of now, there is not one single language that is overall objectively better than Java for real world application development, which is why none of them are grabbing significant market share. We have a bunch of meme languages which are taking a trivial chunk out of Java's market share and dividing it between themselves, meaning none of them get very popular.

COBOL was quite successful, and that can still be seen by the fact that new programmers now can still maintain 40+ year old codebases. Java is very much the in the same category - where nearly any programmer can be proficient enough to understand code in a short amount of time and become able to work with a team or maintain some old code. If you consider that perhaps this was Java's primary design goal, and it's still working. A particular feature that enables this is garbage collection - for most purposes, a programmer doesn't need to know how something was allocated, whether or when it needs to be freed up. A language without some form of GC on par with Java's will never make a dent in its market share.

Europeans are the ultimate soyboys

Dude, it doesn't matter what programming language you learn. It's all the same shit.

that's like, just your opinion, man

Tell me which language that isn't Java is in par with C# for backends and ESBs in maturity, tooling and performance.

It's mostly used for code monkey corporate jobs. It's the right language to use for writing desktop Windows applications, and probably the right one for asp.net (and I'm so sorry if that's your life. Just head to /k to help you pick out a pistol, than to /b for some encouragement to an hero).

That's a pretty accurate slice of history rolled up there. Hats off user

WOULD HAVE KIDS WITH
CALLE CALLE

Nodejs was accepted for back end concurrency and is actually a meme when used for anything else. C# was built for making Microsoft's own version of java quire frankly it turned out better than java in some sense its used for making web with asp.net its kinda like using django or rails.

>accepts the worst explanation as the correct one
If you just wanted people to agree with your autistic ideology why not just make a thread about that, why waste everyones time?

The only people calling it that are Microsoft's viral marketing teams. Java is much more popular now than it was in the 90s, which can partially be attributed to the meteoric rise of Android. Many Android devs are switching to Kotlin, but that's still a JVM language. You also have many tools that are the defacto standard in their field that also use Java, such as: Hadoop, Spark, Spring, Lucene, etc.

The projects that are switching away from Java are either going to languages such as C or Go for performance reasons, or languages such as Python or Kotlin for ease of development.

I could see C# dying within a few years, but Java will be around forever.

why are you idiots answering the question when you could be asking for the source of those delicious feet

You take it personally, there is still room for discussion.

Don't know but smell this.

Meant for

Very good explanation user. Keep up the good work!

Wish I had an intelligent gf

she is adorable

Riley Reid