Are ultra-wide monitors a meme or maximum comfy?

Are ultra-wide monitors a meme or maximum comfy?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gJG9HOQITrg?t=3m46s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I bought a curved 34" 3440x1400 one and didn't like it. It's okay for gaming, but didn't really add much. For desktop use it's just ridiculous. Returned it and bought a regular 27" model.

Imo its better to have two/three screens so you can fullscreen games and watch youtube

probably good for graphics designers or webdesigners

the technical term is manlet monitor
they only make sense if you live in a house build for a hobbit

your desk has a premium axis, the axis at which when you take up more of that usable space, you are reducing the availabile function of your dex
the axis is not related to the height, unless your ceiling is quite short
why would you want a monitor that is short?

I'd sooner pay an extra buck and get a true 4k monitor that is decently sized so i don'thave to do dpi scaling and waste my screen real estate.

21:9 is pretty comfy, especially when you wanna scroll through a bunch of text.

That samsung monitor seems like a real fucking meme though

Anything that isn't 4:3 is a meme.

>mini map in fuck all corner

~27" @ 1440p is maximum comfy

It's shit for graphic design. 16:10 is a way to go.

honestly maybe both?

It is a pretty ridiculous waste of space, since your eyes can really only fully absorb maybe 1/4 of the screen at once, and I find alt-tabbing to be quicker generally than moving my eyes around. But holy fuck are they comfy to use for some reason.

meem

I was thinking about getting one, but I think I'm just going to get a 32 inch 4k screen or something like that.

Naw 30 inch 1600p is max comfy

Y'all both wrong, 32 inch 4k is top tier.

>tfw have a 32" 4k monitor but have to keep it in 1440p because my video card is shit

Too big, at that point you might as well phone it in and use your TV.

I doubt it. Probably doesn't support AdobeRGB and angle stability as a flat monitor.

>4:3
>laughing_girls.tiff
5:4 masterrace.

>applel faggot
Into the trash.

16:9 is for low iq individuals that only use computers to consume media

16:9 for boiz with 169 IQ's, chessmate.

Who gives a fuck? I need screen real estate and 4k gives me more pixels.

They're nice but aren't universally supported. I prefer my triple monitor setup for now.

More expensive than 2 monitors while being lower quality and less productive. It's genius!

This!

I’m sick of the fucking words Samsung used to describe their products

>SUPER ULTRA HIGH DEF 4K QUALITY

Their marketing is genuinely worse than Xbox’s

it looks good for games but you will find support to the resolution a bit problematic

if you wanna vidya games get 144hz ips monitor

T: someone who has used 3440x1440 for few years now

>mouse on the left
>cables in between keyboard
>barely any cable left to move mouse
>monitor stand in the way
>no mousepad

this is a fucking nightmare

1:1 aka le square master race for technical drawings, 3d models, and maps to prevent stretched images of real world objects

5:4 aka supreme gentlman for natural humanoid eye distance and depth ratio

it's an expo you autist

21:9 is quite literally the worst aspect ratio for everyone except of gaymen and media pleb fags.

For productivity there's nothing like 16:10, 3:2, 4:3 and 5:4.

True patricians realize that normies subsidizing the screen manufacturing of 16:9 makes for cheap displays. Paying for exotic ratios is throwing your money away.

Three 16:9 monitors in portrait mode is supreme.

A literal redditor.

Those aren't 16:9 monitors.

>tfw 30in 2560x1600 is not enough anymore
I figured out too late that PLP is just autism and too much hassle with all the mounts and weight to manage.

I would love someone to have a full adobe RGB 38" ultrawide. As is I don't even if anyone does a 34" 100% Adobe RGB panel. Pretty sure no one does. Just imagine viewing full spread landscape 11x17 layouts on such a panel though.

Literally not my photo, brainlet. Just googled "three portrait monitors".

Yes they are.

great for video editing, and maybe CAD, but they suck ass for graphic design and not all games scale well or support it. The ones that support it look nice though. I still would not get one, prefer a couple of monitors, huge hi-res as main and a smaller one as secondary monitor

This. Except I didn't return it and I hate using it.

what a goddamn brainlet

It's actually not good for video editing. The only thing this could be used for is day trading charts.

Pretty good for watching the market and some of the games that support it

>great for video editing
anyone that has done at least semiprofessionally editing would laugh at you.

21:9 is fine for editing all your shitty gaymen youtube videos.

I feel they're great for movies (use up all your real estate to play 21:9 movies with no black bars or cropping). They're also great for some games (4X, cRPGs, RTS). Basically, consider them two screens hooked up next to each other with no border. They are strictly better than a dual monitor setup, and if they ever make them in 21:9 2160p, they'd be the only monitors you should ever buy. They need to be IPS or curved though for the viewing angles.

I have those monitors... That gen of Dell monitors is from 2006 and are 16:10 retard.

16:9 in portrait is thin as hell which makes it bad for use in portrait you brainlet

Too bad they are actually 4:3

wtf is your GPU a vegetable?

Used to have 3 1920x1080 monitors. Bought a 4K 34" and ditched two of the smaller ones. Put remaining one on top of the 34" and extended the desktop to it. Running on an NVidia GTX670; just re-ran the Nvidia config and no problems, no scaling issues - just sweet crisp text on the 34".
Not a gaymer
Software developer
Running Gentoo full time
Never going back to the shitty bezels and needing to fuck with color balance, etc.

Meme because it's a pain to get many applications to work with it. Most don't support it

Seems like it'd be useless for anything besides gaming.

It's useless for gaming as well unless you go for noncompetitive simulator type shit. It just looks good so retards buy it.

ultrawide lets you split the screen and use both halves comfortably, movies look more CINEMATIC and in gayems you get more peripheral vision.
a curved ultrawide also lets you use a larger angle screen without distorted edges.

>useless because looks good in "noncompetitive" games
t. kid

If you have to sway your head like a mental patient it's too wide

That includes games in which you compete against the AI. But sure, go ahead and buy this abomination for autism blocks, truck driving simulator and MS flight.

There is literally no advantage to having a 16:9 monitor for gaming, you are just culturally engrained.

>take gayming screen on ultrawide
>gosh damn I wish I had less screen on the sides! all this peripheral vision is irritating!

Ultra-wide is more monitor than 16:9, and it works better for literally everything, and on the off chance something doesn't work, you can press one button and make it 16:9.

/thread

Nah buddy if you want true strategic advantage you gotta play on a 4:3 crt with black paint covering half the screen, anything bigger is just a meme.

Why not just have two or three ultrawides.

I totally get 2 screens, but 3? What are you going to do with 3 screens?

I think those ultrawides are kinda bullshit at the entry level. You need an ultrawide to be a fair bit larger than a standard aspect ratio monitor for it to actually be larger. If you're going ultrawide, you gotta go big. Otherwise you'll end up with a monitor that's wider, but smaller than a standard 27inch.

Just get an even wider monitor so to can see behind yourself, in front.
Get a monitor so wide that your vision overlaps.

Pixel density buddy.

you can still do this with ultra wide

How is it to have the bezels in the middle of the picture when using 2 or 3 monitors? don't you go insane with that?

That's never really been something I cared much about. 24 inch, 27 inch? I prefer the 27. The answer to that is always just go up in resolution, but there's obviously a cost associated with than and I personally don't think it's worth it. Yet.

I'd love ultrawides, but the ones that are tall enough for my liking are really expensive and I think they're a poor value. Especially when I can have two 27 inch IPS monitors for $500-600.

Yes, but you can buy 2 standard aspect ratio monitors for less than a comparable ultrawide.

>If you're going ultrawide, you gotta go big
sure, otherwise you could just reduce the height of a lower aspect ratio screen.

Both so maximum meme.

Personally I want multiple monitors of screen real estate so im getting a 55 inch tv that can 4k 60hz at 4:4:4 chroma, desktop use you may find it better to move it to the right a bit, you if you split the monitor into 1/3rds have your body where the first third mark would be and treat everything else to the right of it as a second monitor.

personally can't wait to get my 4k, get close to it and play a racing game at 3840x720 just to see what its like to play with a triple monitor setup.

tcl p605 at 49 inch, im getting the 55 inch version of it though, that can do 4:4:4 chroma and is the best you can get till you are spending over 1000$ dollars.

philips use to make a 40 inch 4k but they discontinued it and the panel goes for 2000$ now.

4k with no compramize demands a 1200$ gpu and that just barely stays above 60hz

>1080p
lolrofl

Am I the only one who hates Widescreen monitors?

It feels so constricted.

Ever since I started programming and working with Portrait screens I feel like I'm imprisoned by Widescreen monitors.

I guess they're okay for movies and gaming, but for working it's abhorrent. You can't see shit. When I have code open I physically feel like someone is pushing my head down. I want to gasp for air and the only relief is portrait mode.

I would kill for an affordable 1:1 screen. Or even high resolution 4:3s.

Just look at this beauty.

youtu.be/gJG9HOQITrg?t=3m46s

semipro?
Pros get hardware toys that make any advantage a wide monitor has for ui purposes obsolete, if you have to reply 100% on software, you are going to have a better time on a wide monitor than a 16x9 one.

I bought a 34 inch 1440p curved ultrawide for $700 last year and Its awesome.
My only complaint is having an internet browser full screen is strange at such a wide resolution, to much blank space, so I just bring the sides in a bit and its not a problem.
If you can afford one I recommend trying one out.

>32:9

If it can work as a bezel-less dual monitor, I want one.

>If it can work as a bezel-less dual monitor
Its possible, like LG does
but only if the samsung goys want to.

getting a 55 inc 4k soon

the lower left is going to be where I put a game playing 1080p to 1600p the left will be youtube the top will be threads I am actively participating in, or other programs I don't necessarily need open but would like to have open and see. possibly taking the video from the bottom right and moving it to the tip left and half screening a browser on the other side.

I see a lot of use for 3 monitors but 4 is a bit hard to see use for outside of something like stocks where all the info on a top view is valuable.

screen real estate

Its hard to argue against a 40-50 inch 4k that can be 4 bezel less displays at once.

What if you want to watch videos, Bob?

For actual work, yes.
For regular usage, fuck no.
Sup Forums and newspapers are just about the only things that would profit from it.

> double fullHD
> not triple

Im so sad i can't return the asus 34 ultrawide my brother gave me.

A 29 ultrawide 2560x1080 is all one need really.

good fps on gaming and amke desktop work marvelous.

there's no need ot be bigger than that.

i'm th eopposeite, had a 29 LG 20560x1080 monitor, now have a 34 3440x1440 and the thing that i hated most about this new monitor is its height.

no need to have higher than 1080 in a 29 ultrawide monitor.

how would you ever think its good for either? unless you want no straight lines ever in anything

don't mind me, just posting the average ultrawide monitor user.

Maximum comfy. Especially when watching movies.

Its meme, why not just release large 16:9 or 16:10 monitor instead?
And in fact dell has 8k monitor and that is not a meme, and samsung instead of innovating and making 8k cheaper and thus adopted by consumers, are producing bs like in OPs pic.

21:9 29inche 2560x1080 is the ultimate monitor spec
>can easily have higher hz
>optimal vision plus nice fps with any mid spec

you might as well have a square screen if you don't like it.

see: and

This is fucking awful

It depends on actual screen dimensions and resolution. You can split ultrawide in 2 or you can split 4k screen in 2 and have two ultrawides.
Ultrawide is basicly 4k split in 2 horizontally.

Why not just have whole 4k instead.

I have two fucking square monitors, it actually gets a tad bit annoying cause youtube videos scale to fit the monitor then it just leaves two huge black bars, it doesn't make it really any bigger than theatre mode.
They are fine for regular shit like browsing and all that, but if I could shell out the shekels I would get two ultrawide monitors to make a sweeping view, with a square monitor in the center.
The monitors are a Hanns-G and a Princeton, was given them and I started using them when the monitors I was using had a power board failure.

I have a ROG SWIFT PG348Q(34'' 21:9 Ultra-wide QHD 3440x1440) and i can say I'd much rather have a Predator Z1 (Screen: 30" UW-UXGA 2560 x 1080)

My brother gave me this and took the LG 29 ultrawide 2560x1080 with him.. I can say it's simply too much screen, it pains my eyes having to look up and down and so forth.

Too bad I'll probably never own the acer because I'd have to import by myself.

All in all it could be just my opinion, but I have both and I think I can honestly say I'll never ever have a bigger monitor, and as I said, I'll probably switch to a 29 or 30 inches ultrawide as soon as I can.

and btw, Asus and this retared "gamer" overdesigned bases.. My monitor is on two books until the wall atacher comes on the mail.

>I totally get 2 screens, but 3? What are you going to do with 3 screens?
when i have to monitor alot of things at the same time, 2 displays arent usually enough. another need for 3 displays is when im working out of multiple desktop environments at the same time.

programming on a square.

No thanks. Normally always keep two pages side by side and 16:10 is perfect for this and you shouldn't really be writing functions/classes which require more horizontal space than 16:10 can normally give you with a decent resolution.