Does Sup Forums have an E-Reader? Like Paperwhite or someother Kindle shit. Or any other brands you use...

Does Sup Forums have an E-Reader? Like Paperwhite or someother Kindle shit. Or any other brands you use? I'm using a Paperwhite myself but not sure if the resolution is giving me eye cancer.

What about you Sup Forums?

Bumpin this once just want to discuss tablets and ereaders.

i just got my first today,
kindle paperwhite.
I'm wondering whether i can change the image that pops up after a while, but i can't find a way to do that.
or even disable it in the first place

How's the font rendering for you? I'm not sure about it, something is off, resolution looks fine but the text looks fucked.

There's 2 versions of kindle: sponsored vs unsponsored

You can save a few dollars but have advertisements periodically show as your lock screen

I use the Paperwhite with the 300 ppi screen, I like it *a lot*.

I have a kobo aura.
$35 in ebay for 4gb internal and backlight.
no drm locks, just drag the file into it like a flash drive.

I was going to get a kindle for the Amazon store but it was too pricey and the kobo store has alot of the books I want to read.

Black Friday and Cyber Monday, should be deals.

Go on.

Kobo Glo HD is fucking based
Runs Linux, so you can throw syncthing on it to sync to a folder on your computer over the internet
Koreader is great. Stock reader on it is okay, but I rarely use it over koreader

I use a Paperwhite and it's pretty good. Only real issue is that code samples in most books are difficult to read for one reason or another, either weird formatting or weird rendering or low contrast, etc.

honestly looks okay, its probably that i haven't spent much time on it, but the only thing that annoys me is how it suddenly turns the screen bllack then white fast, i'm assuming that's the "screen refresh" at work.
i don't know whether i bought the sponsored one or not, how can i tell?

Is there a way to change the wallpaper or am i stuck with whatever they put on? mostly see crayons or some random shit.

I've noticed it too. Had to discern braces and brackets in some code samples on the smaller display (Fucking "6). It is terrible.

fuck, i don't trust ebay desu, i fear that i'm going to get screwed, especially if i find something that cheap.

Should i have grew some balls and ordered it cheap?
i got a paperwhite for 100$ CDN

I got a nook simple touch around release and my only complaint is that its resolution is too low, which isn't a problem for modern e readers. I think pixel density is probably the most important trait to look for.

You should've. 100 is way too much for a black and white screen. Craigslist/letgo/any other local classifieds app is another option.

Learn how ebay works, learn how ratings and feedback works. It's a pretty based website and you can find even new tech shit for pretty cheap (Some of it's stolen)

I'm using a 16gb ram thinkpad advertised as 8gb.

ah i guess i should then.

I kind of know the basics of it all,
though how much trouble is it when it comes to stolen stuff, won't i lose my money that way?

Alot of people are pretty good about covering the stolen part. You'll almost never tell. Unless the serial is scratched off or something.

I have a kindle 4. Starting of thinking about an upgrade to something with light and higher resolution, did something better than Kobo Aura HD come out in last years?

Are there any sites that will send Henri directly to a kindle?

Hentai

you're everything wrong with consumer products, you buy based on... whatever, now you're stuck with a cuck product you have no control over

good job you fucking cuck, twy synch'ing that henri hentai with your iFag devide maybe

Old used kindle, with large screen though.
I think it's stolen because it's still binded to somebody's account but oh well who tf cares
Not using it because why if i have my smartphone
Fuck eyes

Hey man come on now, I read books on my kindle but it's also a good manga/hentai device, it's just a pain to download all this shit plug it in and transfer, that's all I'm sayin lad relax

He paid for it, he can use his device however he likes you faggot.

Nook from 2011, resolution is pretty low so manga is lame on it but it's good for pdf and epub books

>being this assmad over what someone chooses to do with their property

Kindle DXG, fucked with it a bit to be able to get it to recognize sorting by series grouping from Calibre.

Nice big screen, has wifi for basic internet to buy ebooks and text-to-speech but I just pirate everything.

Can do comics and manga pretty well with a conversion program to set the image timestamps according to page sequence, if you don't it just puts them in whatever order it feels like.

What about e-paper tablets like reMarkable? Are those things just memes or they're actually good?

Not directly, but you can rip the images and convert them yourself with Kindle Comic Converter.

Yeah that's what I'm doing now, pain in the ass. There are sites like kmanga that send kindle converted manga straight to your kindle by email. Someone needs to get exhentai to do that shit.

Not sure what you're doing wrong for it to be any kind of pain, unless doing it wirelessly makes things weird.

I used to just drag and drop a big pile to convert and moved them all across while it charged.

If you ask nicely, Amazon might even remove the ads for free. Worked for me.

Not even popular enough to be a meme. E-paper with a stylus will never work well. At least as long as "e-paper" means we're physically moving dye blobs with magnets.

Still using my nool simple touch.
It works for reading so I havent felt the need to upgrade.

maybe i expressed myself badly
i mean that the product takes away control, what's wrong is voting with your wallet for shit like this, you pay for it but youre the manufacturers bitch, you cant even copy a txt file to read in it unless they allow it. disgusting.

waiting for muh E-ink E-paper desk monitors.

WHO CARES ABOUT PATENTS WHY CANT THE CHINKS DO THIS FOR ME!?!?!

i dont even need color just give me a black n white as long as it is extremely low powered and has a matte screen with great contrast for schematics and diagrams

REEeeee

Have you even tried doing anything with it?

I can put whatever book I want on the Kindle DXG, only occasionally do I need to convert anything and Calibre does that trivially for all ebook formats, and it uploads them with metadata with one click.
Comics are done with their own program and just drag-and-drop them to an image folder.

I have had to OCR and manually fiddle with a few old PDFs but even those aren't difficult.

Kindle paperwhite is pretty good. Only issue is I kinda want the fancy new oasisbut could never justify it when my exisitng kindle works perfectly.

Protip: if you have a kindle with ads and don't live in the US, complain to amazon that you see ads for things that you can't buy and they'll just remove the ads for free.

Nice looking out.

Kobo aura one, it's comfy and good for reading mangos

I can never understand you cunts who flip out about the Kindle being 'locked down'.

I copy pirated books to the device and read them. What more should I want this dedicated book reading device to do?

Good books are usually like $3-5
How poor are you people if you need to pirate them

Or you could jailbreak it

T. Koa2 waiting for one

I bought the books in hardcover and have every right to have access to a single viewable copy of my property at any given time, because that's how Canada works with viewing licenses since the VHS days due to specific unintended wording.
I can download a Bluray rip of something I own on VHS and it's completely legal as long as it is an equivalent audiovisual copy - a film proper is fine, new commentary and extended scenes not so much.

I use a Kindle Paperwhite, the experience while reading is great - everything else is mediocre. Since I barely spend any time in the home screen / library, I don't really care.

>tfw no kobo in my country
I guess I will have to go with the botnet.

What do you mean in your country? You have the internet. Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see the problem.

Shipping and/or import taxes can be very expensive depending on where he lives.

Page Refresh off - if you look really closely after going to the next page, you'll notice a "ghosting" effect the e-ink has left from the previous page (you may need to go back and forward a few time to see this). It is very hard to notice unless you're 100+ pages into a book and have not turned off your kindle. The pros having Page Refresh option off is that you will not get the negative black screen when going back or forward to the next page. Also turning pages will flow a bit better.

Page Refresh on - every page turn will refresh the kindle screen (it's what the negative black screen you see does) so you will not see a "ghosting" effect from the previous pages.

Like compuguide said, e-ink readers do not work like tablets. It is not an LCD AMOLED whatever screen. That's what give e-ink readers weeks of battery life compared to tablets which have days.

Bought a Kobo Aura One two months ago and don't regret it at all, there's a few minor caveats though:

Software is a bit clunky, I've had the screen lock up on me once but a simple reboot fixed it. No problems since the last update.

Pricey. Buy used if you can.

Battery life is shit *for an ereader*, meaning you'll be recharging it every two to three weeks instead of every two to three months

Touch screen can be a tiny bit iffy when poking at small UI icons.

Overall I think it's totally worth the price simply because I can avoid amazon's DRM and advertising bullshit AND have epub support. Also the ability to borrow an ebook from my local library and download it without ever having to plug my ereader in to a computer is (I think) an incredibly underrated feature.

I didn't even ask but I feel like I'm not seeing them anymore. I just get "Your next great read is waiting in the Kindle store", which I guess could be called an ad but I think I already knew about the Kindle store.

Install Koreader+KSM and your complaints about software and battery life will disappear.

>$35 on ebay
god damn that's good, I should try to find one

bq Cervantes, because muh freedomz. Kinda costly, especially since there's nothing special about the product except for the available sources and ability to flash your own builds (which is nice, being able to load a build that actually has my time zone). That said, it does everything an ereader needs to do.

I have a Cervantes Touch Light and a Cervantes 2013 (currently waiting on a replacement screen). The 2013 is pleasantly lightweight.

>Kobo Aura One two months ago and don't regret it at all,
same, agree with all the points

works great with calibre

this

Can you guys tell me if its possible (and legal) to just download Amazon Kindle/Store on Kobo and read my books on it? Reading on tablet screens is a fucking pain.

Thanks.

I too just pirated Martian

Is it possible to install koreader on a kobo h20 2nd edition?

Any deals today or is the e-ink jew still going strong?

Got the Kobo Aura H2O but it's so fucking buggy and laggy that I haven't used it in a year. Especially when I'm transferring or deleting files, it loves to hang up and go into a bootloop so that I have to manually factory reset it. Annoying as fuck.

Read those books in more common and easier to pirate formats like EPUB, which Amazon has no incentive to implement.

why isn't there a larger market demand for high DPI eink screens? They're gentle to the eyes.

Epub converts trivially to mobi and vice versa. Most people just use Calibre to sync their books and aren't even aware of the difference.

300 DPI is the norm for new readers. That's usually considered high.

is there reason to make even higher DPI in the future comparable to physical print works or are the gains in quality not noticeable enough to warrant it?

kek screenlets

Shit, user, with that thing you'll have white genocide solved in no time.

and read some animu in my free time

Is it worth installing koreader on a ereader? Is it a better experience.

Get kobo aura hd or basicly the latest model, it has higher res screen, bigger screen, runs a better OS and is more customisable than kindle
I have had several kindles over the years, currently own a paperwhite, and they are good but kobos are better

Can you read mangoo on majority of e-book readers, or this is only a feature for your Boox reader?
How they handle zips, rars and cbz?
How they handle unregular numbering (like 015_title vs title_15)?

Ahahha he thinks his 10" is big. We 13" up in this bitch

Most newspapers and magazines are printed in worse than 300 dpi. There's a lot of room for improvement on contrast and front light quality, but I can't see a huge push on resolution.

It runs Android so it can be loaded with any app that can read those. It's a dual core e-reader so everything is pretty smooth and nothing really hangs up. It does have a front light so I can read in the dark, or even make it easer to read in normal room lighting.

As far as the file system, things can be organized by folders and everything is alphabetically organized.

Not even portable.

a regional electronic store chain uses e-ink displays for prices/info on product shelves
i always thought it was paper until i saw a broken one today

If you get one with android it will support whatever you throw at it.

Makes sense. Thanks.
I guess even if there is a small market for premium media printed with higher DPI, there isn't much incentive to make readers match that.

Also interested in this.

I want to buy one, but I can't find any good.
I don't want kindle, PocketBook is trash, and others seem overpriced. Also it seems that modern e-readers still struggle with pdfs, and most of my shit is in pdfs.