Windows 2000 was the peak of OSes

If there were an operating system with this exact UX but with more support for modern hardware and software (and perhaps a few of XP's reasonable improvements) it would fly off the shelves.

Seriously, why doesn't Windows look like this anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

vertigosity.deviantart.com/art/Inexperience-Patcher-0-7-2-27939557
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>this exact ux
have fun with the login bug then

blame apple.

>let's pretend we want the bugs too

What login bug?

Also that's still better than Windows 10.

The purpose of the UI changes from 2000 to 10 is to target regular people (non-business normies). They've already captured businesses, so Microsoft's long-term business plan is to get more normies to buy computers with Windows on it. Windows 2000 looks too much like a workstation and not a playground like XP and newer.

you sound like you just want a oldish theme for GTK/Qt or just a oldish DE
about your question, i have no idea.
you may not like this look, but this is just a random image i found when i type "fvwm" a window manager.

Yet Windows 95 was the one that took the world by storm, and it looked like a turd compared to 2K - which basically perfected the classic UI.

Then they blew it all up with XP...

Do you know what UX means, user? Anything other than Windows/Mac is literally unusable on the desktop. Period.

(And if you're running a server it shouldn't have a UI anyways.)

You can ignore the password sign in by just going through the help section from the login. Guy obviously didn't understand that the topic is ux, not copying known exploits

That brings us to the question of today: what kind of UI makes a OS favorable?

> implying 99% of people dont do everything within the browser so it doesn't really matter what os you're using

I said desktop, not web.

>Not using classic theme on windows 7

I hate all the unnecessary effects of Aero

Your biggest problem is that you don't realize that all these unnecessary changes is for normals feeling like they bought something new. Why do you think people buy shit like smart watches, roombas, soda stream. Rich people have ran out of things to buy

>Anything other than Windows/Mac is literally unusable on the desktop. Period.
Unusable to brainlets, you mean.

Sorry man, Windows 7 still looks and feels like shit (a.k.a. Windows Vista).

Even XP is extremely difficult to make it feel like 2K (you have to replace system DLLs to get the icons back to normal instead of the Fisher-Price look, for example). Beyond XP it's literally impossible.

>Even XP is extremely difficult to make it feel like 2K
False

vertigosity.deviantart.com/art/Inexperience-Patcher-0-7-2-27939557

That's the patch I'm talking about, dumbass.
Now go around fixing all the OTHER shit XP fucked up, on top of having DLLs replaced.

Xfce has the best UX. Windows cannot compete.

>I haven't used anything other than windows but I know what I'm talking about
Fuck off.

It's literally the same shit. Linux is almost identical to MacOS and if you use something like GNOME it will be pretty much the same with the exception of a stable "app store" which is what Mac does much better (with the exception of synaptic). Windows fags claiming Linux is difficult to use are either parroting and buying into others propaganda, or never used it or MacOS. Because if they did they'd know that Macs and Linux are equally "difficult" to use.

check out reactOS. it's still kinda unusable but it's pretty cool.

And yet Windows 95 -> 98 -> 98 SE sold like hotcakes. You don't have to change superficial shit, just make real improvements instead.

No, unusable for anyone who isn't a fucking NEET. Hobbyist OSes have zero QA, which is something no corporate sponsor can rectify even with their own personal distro.

You read "Why Linux Is Not Ready for the Desktop" yet?

If someone were to create an MSN clone from the ground up (yes I know about the shitty alternatives) what kind of bandwidth would be required to house the same amount of users MSN messenger carried through the 2000s?

Windows 98 actually only sold 530,000 copies. Compare to vista which sold 20 million in the first month

you're a man if taste op

Nobody would use it though.

Standalone instant messaging is dead.

Wasted reply.

Works on my machine.

>what is the size of the PC market
>what are percentages
fuck it
>what is global population growth since the 90s

>Win98Hack.gif
>Windows 2000

>durrr forcing my computer to use software GDI is faster than that hardware accelerated aero bloat :D

If there's one thing Win8+ did right it's force DWM.

Could've made a classic theme emulation though.

All operating systems are for hobbyists. You are retarded.

beautiful

>All operating systems are for hobbyists.
What did he mean by this?