Assuming someone isn't a top school CS grad but is self-taught...

Assuming someone isn't a top school CS grad but is self-taught, what technologies could they get into if their only goal was money?

what area of CS do you THINK is exclusive to university graduates? why do you think that?

The first one to come to mind is fintech/computational finance/whatever you want to call it.
Someone who's self-taught, even if he's good, isn't going to break into a sector where having a PhD is more or less required in order to be competitive.

ML/deep learning

Bump

Blockchain development

BI maybe.

suck dicks from rich people. no need for a degree.

Is it a fad?
Business intelligence?

Any if you're smart enough.

>Is it a fad?
Yes, but it will be for a long time

This.

Machine Learning is the hottest, and I mean HOTTEST, thing on the planet right now. It will be that way for a while. This means if you got any sort of knowledge/expertise on this subject, you can make millions a year working at top companies.

>you can make millions a year working at top companies.
...If you have at least a master's from a good university.

Yeah, learn python.

Low level C in high frequency trading. Starting salary is 300k

If you have a PhD in machine learning and work in finance for ai/machine learning then you could earn 500k to 3 million.

Proof: www.hrg.net/job-listing/

/thread

>/threading your own post
>after providing information that isn't even relevant to the op and without even noticing it's already been mentioned
Dumbass

Tech Support and potentially work your way up to Windows admin.

Only if you're a brainlet.

Any company worth its salt, that means any of the TOP 500 won't care about your college degrees but your expertise.

The initial sets of gatekeeping questions weed out shitters. They don't care about your degrees.

How can you get into ML without phd from top program?

But actual ML/DL is math-heavy, so how can you be self-taught without formal university education?
I don't even know of any references on the subject aside from Norvig's book.

ML is based on statistics and mathematics, a lot mathematics and physics had developer field ML,usually PhD Computer science lack background in mathematics.

What does that have to do with my question?

I'm laughing at all the guys screaming "they don't care about your degrees", it's pure bullshit. Go and see for yourself what are the chances of getting a software developer job without one, good luck.

>tfw have a degree but it's worthless

I make 125k a year making JavaScript apps.
t. Poorfag

This, nobody's going to make any money, especially in machine learning, without a degree.
You could probably get in as some low tier code monkey who implements the basic technical shit that allows the models to run, but nothing more.

>tfw taught myself ML and self studied mathematical concepts & statistics

>created several examples of a working ML system
>showed it to potential employers
>now have the same job that PhDs have without a bachelors

But yeah sure, you cant do anything without a degree. The world totally doesnt open up to people based on pure want and drive .

>>tfw taught myself ML and self studied mathematical concepts & statistics
You have a PhD level understanding of applied math while being self taught?

You're a lying piece of shit.

No. But I have enough for them and I learn every day.

When you enjoy something it comes through. I couldn't feel more lucky.

You don't need a degree. You need persistence.

Truly persistent people get degrees.

Why?

holy fuck so u can be rich if u get a masters in CS?

sheeitt