/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

OLD THREAD: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Simple_sandbox
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups#Change_a_user.27s_login_name_or_home_directory
linux.slashdot.org/story/17/11/24/2043253/linux-pioneer-munich-confirms-switch-to-windows-10
ix.io/w6A
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=780258
ix.io/yqr
ix.io/xoM
zdnet.com/article/french-police-move-from-windows-to-ubuntu-linux/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

is there a sandbox that actually works?

what does Firejail even do?

Thoughts on antiX 17?

What distro do you guys use?

There's a program with installation instructions that list flash as a requirement, will the browser plugin work or do I need a standalone flash player? I'm on ubuntu, if that's relevant.

install gentoo

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Simple_sandbox
pic related

Do any of you guys using the (((proprietary))) nvidia drivers notice screen tearing when scrolling?

I run firefox like that btw

REMOVE TOSHINO KYOKO FROM YOUR BASTARDIZATION OF A DESKTOP RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

How do I theme keepassx/xc? is it a Qt thing? is there an lxapperarance analogue?

whats the easiest way to share folders between windows and linux

nfs
samba
ftp

remove yourself this thread rn, rudeposter

compiling shit yourself is weird
it probably wants to link to a package

>using nvidia
>at all

don't reply to my posts

>using ATI cuckware past the 1990's

>implying nvidia is less cuckware

Can PCmanFM be configured to ask sudoers for password when superuser rights needed e.g. to mount a volume, like Nautilus does?

What is a program for linux to create a complete isolated sandbox that doesn't even allow root permissions?

Spacefm can, its the successor to pcmanfm

useradd

No, I meant something like sandboxie for windows

>using a GUI file manager
for what purpose

All I can notice is Xorg crashing when I try using my nvidia card, because there cunts haven't yet implemented Optimus support properly.

chroot

yes

Chroot can be escaped easily

Optimus works just fine using the NVIDIA proprietary drivers, you just gotta stop being a brainlet and learn how to set it up.
t.optimus user

Cept it isnt.

not if you're using openbsd

A chroot is not a jail, using chroot can be easily escape from.

>using chroot can be easily escape from.
If that was the case they would fix such a blaring "issue".

I know there's a way to make them work, I'm just mad I'll have to go through the pain.

Chroot was never intended to be used for security reasons

I have a quick question about IRC: A user's prefix determines their channel privileges, right? So "@" denotes operator, "%" denotes halfop, and so on.

I know that "~" denotes owner, but I'm on an IRC server where "!" also denotes owner. Is this standard? I'm asking because my IRC client, Konversation, isn't displaying nicks that are prefixed with "!" in the sidebar, whereas Hexchat seems to do it just fine.

not if you're using openbsd

Search ForceFullCompositionPipeline. There's a command you have to run to fix it. I haven't tested if the extra composition reduces performance in games or benchmarks though. You may have to put it as an option in in your xorg config file.

Not him, but I found this a while back and it solved all my tearing issues with the proprietary nvidia drivers

I have the following command in a shell script that runs when my DE starts:
nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DVI-I-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }, HDMI-0: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

The above will need to be modified depending on how many montors you have and their sizes

Will I break anything if I change my username manually via search and replacing my name in the /etc password, shadow, group, etc. and then moving my home folder from /home/old to /home/new?
By the way, I can't seem to post the actual filenames, because Sup Forums blocks me every time I do.

Do I still have to chown the new user folder? I thought I wouldn't have to do this since my uid will stay the same.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/users_and_groups#Change_a_user.27s_login_name_or_home_directory
you could've found this article yourself btw

i tried setting up my wacom on ubuntu and installing xserver-xorg-core made me remove some packages that apparently are needed for any and all keyboard/mouse input.

i don't want to reinstall, it seems like i can just use "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" to get the removed packages back but i can't figure out networking in recovery mode and i don't know how to/if i can install packages from a live usb.

please help, i've googled everything.

I wanted to make urxvt have a background using this xresources template I found in the man pages:
URxvt.background-expr: scale keep { load "/path/to/mybg.png" }
But it didn't work. Do I need to install pearl for this to work? Running Ubuntu.

make sure you're using
URxvt*.depth: 24

What do I do when software wont run on wine? How do you fix it?

run it in a VM like qemu+kvm

Unfortunately still nothing. if I run urxvt with the -pixmap flag I can get a background, but this particular xresource isn't working.

This requires a valid windows license key?

qemu+kvm are free software under the GPL and they don't require a "windows license key"

also I tried running the equivalent terminal command to that xresource

urxvt --background-expr '{load "~/Waterfox_wallpaper.png"}'

urxvt: rxvt_img::new_from_file: Failed to open file '~/Waterfox_wallpaper.png':

No such file or directory

urxvt: new_img_from_file failed at (eval 24) line 4.
of course that file does exist and I am writing it correctly as confirmed with cat

Hey so I have an interesting issue.
I want to make a native linux installation on my phone.
So I have both the Motorola Droid 2 and Motorola Droid 3 and I was messing around with them the other day and I wondered if I could root them and do something with them. Is there any way I can natively run a linux distro on both or either of them?
Any help is appreciated

What's a distro like Xubuntu (lightweight, simple to navigate, plain looking, etc) that has properly system-wide colour management support? I tried regular Ubuntu but I cannot stand that "activities" bullshit. The general navigation was unbearable.

linux.slashdot.org/story/17/11/24/2043253/linux-pioneer-munich-confirms-switch-to-windows-10

>TL;DR Entire city finds out Linux on the desktop is not for grownups and professionals. Switches to Windows. Sup Forums children on suicide watch.

You mean microsoft's lobbyists paid them to switch.

No.

>"Windows 10 will make it easier to source compatible applications and hardware drivers than it has been using a Linux-based OS"

Unironically, Gentoo. Everything else feels crippled or hampered.

Syncthing. 100% idiot proof, 100% open source, no neckbeard required.

I think there are two reasons for this. One is that they decided to create their own Linux distro which is retarded (should have used Suse or Redhat) and the other thing is jewing.

install flash on fedora and it works on chrome but not waterfox, what should I do?

Lads I'm about to install Debian, if I want to be cool like you and have my terminal say something like Akari@Neo Venezia which name do I put in which field?

well you'd pick akari for your username and neo for your hostname but you can't put a fucking space in a hostname.

Thanks, it was just an example. Last time I had myname@myname and isn't that just embarrassing?

Well no its got more to do with munich being more or less the richest city of all germany and they want to show off. the seriously had imacs at a reception desk for uni there.

t. guyfrommunich

There is literally no reason for that project to exist.

I guess. I tend to pick hostnames somewhat randomly.

My current system is named "detroit" because I decided to name it after a fucked-up city and that's the first thing that came to mind.

Pic related.

Just tell us what fucking package it is.

Learn how to symlink directories.

>microsoft lobbyists paid them and wrote a pitch

please spoonfeed me I'm new to linux

Try Ubuntu mate

That sounds quoted from a microsoft representative.
what happens is that microsoft sends some lobbyists to the ploliticians and shows them slides with marketing buzzwords in them; like "more compatible with software and hardware" "leading supplier of business-class level services" and other crap.
Convincing them that windows is preferred since microsoft will do the work for them.
Instead of spending money to develop linux to match their needs, they'll spend ten times as much to buy microsoft's package, because microsoft said it was better.

>Actually believing this

Get out of your moms house and get a couple of years worth of real world business experience kiddo and then come back and try to defend GNU/Linux on the desktop.

Protip: you can't

> W*ndows 10
> malware-tier update system bugging you until you set the time when it should reboot the PC, or just randomly initiating update installation at boot time, which it downloads without asking unless you tweak update policy
> lagging like a bitch on everything that isn't a game PC
> without thinking much placed a MessageBox call in the paint event handler, the app froze, Windows was unable to kill the process, I had to reboot
> basically, almost fucking everything requires rebooting
> everything takes ages

Microsoft has gotten way too arrogant, Windows users have little authority over what their own computers do.
Linux can be a major pain in the ass sometimes (unless you're using an Ubuntu-tier distro), but it still doesn't piss me off as much as Windows 10 does every day.

But user I run a business and [spoiler]linux is frankly terrible for business, it isn't interoperable with anything and I have to pay out of the ass for licenses of microshit products and hate every second of it.[/spoiler]

Read the OP.

I never questioned this. The topic is GNU/Linux on the desktop which is garbage for business.

Paying for Microsoft licenses can hurt small business but you will get the job done and at the end of the day your normie customer will thank you for using things he or she is familiar with.

>Top500 CTO here btw

Now for the DEV side of my business, linux all the way, but if I want to do business stuff I need to use windows.

I agree with this. Some of my (((frontend))) developers also run GNU/Linux and some BSD but they never need to communicate with external and/or internal customers or use any of our business software (ERP, BI, financial reporting and such). I let them use this to keep their autism in check. My real developers use Visual Studio against Azure and PowerBI. They are coincidentally way more productive and generate higher quality software.

Personally I was never a fan of visualstudio but I understand that if you are the kind of shop that uses it you will be more productive.

At home I am all linux and mac though, I find windows a chore to use for anything but the bare minimum.

Can someone walk me through host/network discovery in linux?

How do I see what I'm connected to and what is on my network? Can I do some kind of passive traffic sniffering?

Is there anything that works through routers?

So far I only know

ifconfig
nmap
nmap -sn
arp

How do i mirror ubuntu in real time? i want to install ubuntu server on usb flash and use current drive with an addition of a new drive in lvm. Right now it's debian8 that installed on generic 50gb partition on a single drive(the 2nd one is just sitting on my table). So, if i install ubuntu on a usb flash, i want it to be mirrored on 2nd usb, because usb is not really reliable. As far as i know freenas can do that out of box, but how it can be done with ubuntu?

>fonts suck? for freetype 2.7+
ix.io/w6A

>wayland?
gnome classic
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=780258
or weston
>no systemd?
ix.io/yqr

>youtube without extensions?
ix.io/xoM

not sure but maybe the Qt one could
never used this so idk
either way that's a bad idea

>the successor to pcmanfm
stop lying faggot

dont do stupid shit
create new user
chown your old stuff

go to #ubuntu irc

no, MS provide VM ready windows images
just get one and start virtualbox
what does not run in wine?

gnome classic

So I'm stepping away from Win & started my foray into Linux with Mint Cinnamon LiveUSB. Have already had a lot of trouble but I could use a hand at this moment.

Windows used to be on what Mint sees as sdc, which was originally 2 parts. I previously divided the Win part into a root part, swap part, home part & a "data" part, the resulting structure visible in the terminal. However now I can't see the parts in the Install Linux Mint program. What do?

>either way that's a bad idea
Why?

# Network exploration tools
113 nmap
114 nmap // Full scan of hosts on the network
115 nmap -p80 // Scans range 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.255 for port 80
116 'nmap -sT -sU -T5 -p 1-1024' // Stealth TCP/UDP scan for first 1024 ports - highlighted because effective
117 nmap -sL // Passive reverse-DNS on hosts to learn names
118 nmap -sn // Pings all ip's on the 192.168.1.0 network
119 nmap -PS // TCP+SYN sent, SYN/ACK received, RST sent; port probe
120 nmap -PA // Similar above, but ACK instead of SYN; port probe
121 nmap --traceroute // Determine port/protocol most likely to reach target
122 arp // Hosts that have recently attempted to connect
124 /* GUIDE:
125 * = 192.168.1.0/24 etc.
126 * = 192.168.1.0 etc. (no hostmask)
127 *
128 * ifconfig // Look at inet addr: and Mask to figure out network to scan
129 * nmap -sn // To simply check if the hosts are online
130 * nmap // Will do a full port scan as well
131 */

not sure if formatted correctly

because you want to sudo with the simplest commands possible

what is the kernel in linux?

Quit since you can't even get Linux-for-children to work.

The kernel in the windows subsystem for Linux is called "NT". Hope it helps.

it's the part that translates communications between software and hardware so they can understand each other

There kernel is the part of the system which acts like a translator between hardware parts and the system.

A meme.

the kernel in linux is the linux kernel, hope this helps user

gentoo

The GNU kernel.

the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run

Richard Stallman

Obsolete.

> French national police moves to Linux
> Has a well implemented policy, such as using ODT file format as standard
> Doesn't try to fab up some custom Linux distro
> Saves millions of euros
Good thing there are better examples of Linux used in the public sector.
zdnet.com/article/french-police-move-from-windows-to-ubuntu-linux/