Old thread: >> >>63528706

Old thread: >> →

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Checklibreboot.orgfor details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B140HAN01.3/
amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-SODIMM-204-Pin/dp/B007B5S52C
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>x270 stuck in Customs Hell
>on a Weekend
so much for it showing up monday huh

>no subject
>no bios logo booru

I got this for $80 at a pawn shop simply because windows needed reinstalling.

What do you do to protect a laptop in a backpack when you're walking in the rain? This thing has quickly become my baby and getting rained on with it on my back was traumatizing.

Just buy a good enough laptop case or wrap your sweater with it and shove it in your backpack

t. britbong X220 owner

Fifth for Kuroneko best girl

I put my phone in a ziploc baggie when it's raining out and I have to leave the house.
See if your laptop will fit in a large one, or just use a grocery bag.

>no bios booru
again

I want it to run an offline Bitcoin cold storage wallet, probably Armory. So im not going to be using it for anything else which is why I thought about x60, but if it's only 32bit, im scared that wallet devs will drop 32bit support..

Im buying a T400 from minifree.org to run as a node, then another cheaper also librebooteable thinkpad so I thought x60 was it for the cold storage, but im not sure anymore. Is the x200 64bit?

Do you have to do something to disconnect thinkpad from the dock softwarewise on gnu+linux before removing it? Or can you just take it off?

which 1080p screen to get that's in us?

the fullhd one

cant into google, link pls

How can I replace the lid latches on the thinkpad t61? This is the one I repaired but when I first got it the latch broke because of the hinge being fucked when it closed, and one is broken but the other is not. I guess I could break both and just say fuck it.

Never had a problem with the standard "case logic" backpack (15 bucks), walked in the rain several times with my x220 in the front pocket.

you can just take it off unless you've turned off the internal screen with xrandr or something

Daily reminder to all thinkfags:
your shitty sub-laptops with outdated, slow components are nothing special, and basically you're fucking stupid.

So is your elitebook
Or your macbook
Or an acer

Yeah, but does your screen rotate 180 degrees and lay flat?
No?
Are you forced into using a touchscreen interface on a non-tablet device?
Yes?
Thought so. Enjoy being cucked by your OS.

Is this meme really important? I'm about to buy an X201 and I'm probably gonna just write down reports for my university since I already own a thinkpad with a decent screen resolution for chink cartoons.

dont worry about it. they all put text/images on the screen at the end of the day.

t. a 2570p owner

>paste applied to the heatsink and not to the CPU and GPU dies
I-is this the proper way to do it? When I repasted my X220 I applied it to the CPU directly and smushed it with the heatsink.

Get one of those military backpack tarps, or get pic related and keep yourself dry as well.

>Yeah, but does your screen rotate 180 degrees and lay flat?
Yes, my 2570p does it just fine.
>Are you forced into using a touchscreen interface on a non-tablet device?
No.
>Thought so. Enjoy being cucked by your OS.
Err...

My EliteBook(TM) (Master Race) has quad core CPU, dual SSDs in 12Gbps RAID array and 3 full hd screens connected to it. So it's not slow and it's very special for a 12" machine.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by rotates 180 degrees
I'm not talking about opening and laying flat, I'm talking about relative to the body, rotating 180 degrees, so the screen is facing away from the keyboard, and then laying flat closed.
The x2xxtablet series things.

Hi guys. Currently stalking Craigslist and found a T520. Gonna try and grab that or go after a T420 if that doesn't work out. Might install Void or CloverOS (for the full MEME experience). I've read that the T520 can be upgraded from 900p to 1080p and that both can be upgraded to use coreboot and allow CPU swaps. Any reasons to avoid any of these choices?

No, I don't have this option. And I prefer my screen to be matte, not glossy piece of shit x220t has.

i actuall kind of agree with this.
I really dont understand why people buy thinkpads anymore. Literally every other laptop made in the same year is slept on

Kinda thinking about picking up an E6510 or Hp 8540w

Thoughts?

too old

why would that be the issue?

Pajeets make software and websites having in mind people have a computer with at least 8GB of RAM and an i5 or equivalent.

again. Why would that be an issue?
Its going to be my linux laptop. Its going to be right next to my gaymen laptop that i use daily. I dont feel like getting a second screen

Has any1 here tested the ips converter boards for the T420 from eBay yet?

Indeed, lenovo thinkpads just keep getting worse while dell latitudes and hp elitebooks keep getting better.

Call me when there's a latitude or elitebook that can do the tablet thing. Then I'll give a fuck.
[spoilersdon'tworkon/g/]I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to make a more modern motherboardboard that fits in an older thinkpad and has all the right connections would be.[/spoiler]

I am highly interested, please tell me more.

If you weren't such a newfag you would know what model that is.

No wonder you are a weeb, kys yourself lad.

You're very rude, user
Also, the 2760p is only a g2 i5, same as the x220t. The x230t has a g3 i5, so lelovo still comes out ahead.

T440p
i5 4300m
igpu model
8GB ram
500GB ssd
343$
did i do good?

screen resolution?
everything else is top notch. Remember that you can swap to a quad-core cpu

screen res is 1600p I think. actually, its 350 USD including shipping

the hp has a 16:10 display tho.

There's also the new revolve series but I guess is just like the yogas, you can't turn the screens.

Guys, what are the best options for:

> cheapest 1080p ips ultraportable, as thin and as light as possible, good battery ofc, for uni
t450s maybe?

> cheap desktop replacement with possibility of a quadcore cpu and egpu
t440p maybe?

>cheapest laptop to use as a home media server and torrenting machine, low power consumption is a must and usb 3.0 to transfer files to external hdd.
For the last one I thought about getting getting some thinkpad sold for parts that doesn't have a screen and use with it and external monitor, don't know which model tho.

Thoughts? any recommendations?

T440p doesn't have expresscard so the eGPU becomes a pain. T420 is cheaper and can be upgraded to a quad core and use eGPU through the expresscard slot.

>ultraportable
X1 Carbon (Gen 3/4/5)

>desktop replacement
T440p Quad core is pretty good, but you're limited to 16GB RAM.
eGPU can be a pain but you get a much higher bandwidth on the M.2 PCIe connector vs ExpressCard.

Also, the Haswell Quad cores are considerably more powerful than the Sandy Bridge quad cores.

hey /tpg/

got a dell latitude e5470 for $300, for web browsing, watching stuff, and using ms office.

how bad did i screw up?

Not bad. What screen and CPU?

i7 6820 @ 2.7ghz

not sure where to find screen info, but i can say i would estimate the display is about 12 inches. smaller than i'd like, but the laptop i was using would crash while trying to accomplish web browsing.

i'm not normally on Sup Forums, but i trust you guys to tell me if i'm wasting my time and money.

What resolution, and do the colors wash out when you look at it from different angles?

Sound pretty good though.

leave some dubs for the rest of us m8

res is 1920x1080, colors seem fine to my taste.

the only reason i really ask is because the guide says i can find pretty decent (lenovo) laptops for ~$200 or less, and i don't know as much as you guys to know if i'm making a mistake

Should I jee?

If it's in perfect condition and not locked then it's a good deal.

Yes, absolutely

I found the FHD converter board for T420 on AliExpress. It's 80 dollarydoos.
I remember there were issues with old batches, but I can't find any info on this new one.

What do?

I dropped my t450 and the plastic has now snapped that attaches the right hinge to the monitor. I can still close the laptop but I have to force the hinge with my hand. I can't even find any spare parts to repair it ~_____~

Maybe I should sell this and buy a t430, the bezel on the thinkpad is flimsy and can't be replaced properly after removal

What's the cheapest 1080p thinkpad I can get?

I would get that and a ~$70 9-cell Lenovo battery for it.
I'm not a fan of the HD3000 video graphics in it though. I had problems with it with a few Youtubes open so I went to a W530 and no more problems (HD4000 and also an Nvidia GPU).

Probably a W520 for around ~350 on Ebay.

t440p for like 200

The circuit looks relatively simple so I don't know how this could even fail. I would order it and come back and tell us if I were you :)

Either way is fine but it's way easier to put it on the die than centering it on the heatsink

There were flickering problems, apparently.

damn
anyone know if the screen from a w540 would work in a t540?
I already have a w540 with a 1080p screen, but I'd like to get the 3k screen

x230 or x220 which should i choose?
x220 graphics seems too weak, but it has classic keyboard

If you just want the keyboard, you can put the x220 keyboard and palmrest on the x230

>put x220 kb on x230
didn't know that, thanks user!

x230 keyboard is better, only the layout is fucked up.

Unless you are autist ofc...

laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/B140HAN01.3/

Got a t60 from a relative
Tried a live usb of xubuntu but I only get about 2 hours of battery
What can I do to improve battery time?

the new keyboard no longer has the textured key coating, it doesn't feel as good to type on, it has a horrible layout that slows down productivity for people who edit text for a living, it does not have an indicator LED on the CapsLock key to show that CapsLock is on, the Enter key is smaller and not colored, it thumb buttons and arrow keys that are less ergonomic than the classic keyboard, has back-lighting which is better than the classic keyboard
it costs 3.7 cents less to make than the classic keyboard
let me know if I forgot anything

amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-Unbuffered-SODIMM-204-Pin/dp/B007B5S52C

Is this compatible with x220? This is probably asked all the time I'm sorry boys

Install TLP, when you can reduce your brightness as low as your eyes can still see, turn wifi off when not in use, set auto dimming to 1 minute. Or get a new battery.

literally pure autistic screeching opinions.

I rest my case.

The used thinkpad guide is no longer, please remove from OP sticky.

wot

what should i expect from a 9cell x220 battery with ~80 cycles? is that healthy?

Ehh, I don't want to maintain the guide anymore, so just point everyone to Xsauc's one. If someone else wants to host the guide I can give source.

looks gay

Why not put a disclaimer at the top that says the information is outdated? It was still extremely helpful deciding what laptop suit the users needs. I actually referred to it pretty often.

>2nd lot of RAM that was bad

WTF do people not test ram before they sell it?

I got my money back but still.

Also why can i only find 2x2gb RAM when the x220 came with 1x4gb??

shit battery life. It will be too heavy to carry around.
Also these computers are probably already worn.

I have a T540p. Will switching the 1080p panel for a higher resolution panel require a new connector?

I asked a seller on ebay about this problem.
The guy said there were no flicker problems, whatsoever. I dont believe him, tho.

80 for the circuit is too much, you still need to buy the display, might as well get a newer thinkpad.

agreed.

I have a T450 currently, does anyone know if it's possibly to put the board from a T450p in it?

lol, Dell and HP took until 2012 to put an mSATA onto their business laptops.

You did really good m8ey

The equivalent would probably be an X260 or T460.

afaik, it wasn't fixed
Unless it specifically states that this is a revised board, and will not flicker, I am 99% sure that it will fuck up.

eh. 3.7 x 100,000 units, thats $370,000 saved.
Lenovo cuts corners more than IBM did.

Why do you dress like a woman? Do you have a problem with finding a job with your mental illness?
You're a disgrace to this board.

>lol, Dell and HP took until 2012
almost 6 years ago, exactly when lenovo gookpads started to get worse.

I've got t570 few months ago. Mostly for office - ms office, jira and so on, so mediocre cpu is not an issue. But boy, what a keyboard ThinkPad has! Best keyboard ever I've ever seen in my 15 years with heavy daily laptop usage.

is the t440p meant to idle at 55 degrees?

no

well fuck, I already tried replacing the thermal paste, what do i do now?

clean the fan.

done that

The fan also makes a low grinding sound whenever it's turned on

replace it.