HDMI 2.1

Is DisplayPort finished now that HDMI 2.1 has been announced?

>Support for 10K at 120 Hz
>48 Gbps bandwith
>eARC
>Dynamic HDR
>Game Mode VRR

Looks like 2018 will be a big year for TV and monitor manufacturers.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11003/hdmi-21-announced-8kp60-48gbps-cable
monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html
displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/?ps&pcat[0]=cables-connectors
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Now we just need more HDR PC monitors.

No because HDMI is not free as in Libre.

probably not. displayport and HDMI were designed to complement each other, not compete

displayport's going to remain the PC standard but HDMI's advances help with TVs and other consumer equipment

This

look these meme cables

so?
name 1 (one) monitor or TV that has DP but doesnt have HDMI.

Display port doomed
> Sup Forums btfo, supporting yet another stupid format
>muh hd dvd is better than Blu-ray ...lol

/thread

The only reason why TVs are primarily HDMI is because HDMI is literally because every major TV company has a big stake in HDMI and forces it on their customers.

At the end of the day any good Monitor and GPU will use Displayport. Console kiddies will stick tot heir gold plated scam hdmi.

there's a handful of highend dell ones that only use miniDP

If you want to use G-sync or FreeSync you usually need DisplayPort. Many FreeSync monitors that have HDMI 2.0 still require you to use DisplayPort to take advantage of adaptive refresh rate support.

>Non-locking connector
Trash

>let me just push this button
>breaks off port because there is no room to put your finger behind the connector
DP truly is superior.

>I’m so fat my fat fingers literally cannot use a switch without getting stuck

>it's because you're fat!
>h-heh

Fuck off shill.

>displayport's going to remain the PC standard

There's no reason to believe that. DisplayPort's biggest issue is the cables, where it's extremely difficult to find one capable of pushing higher refresh rates and resolutions over anything more than a metre or so. And you won't find one that does it at all over 3m. Whereas with HDMI, any cheap, shitty cable will do and can be much longer.

Dell U2412M :^)

DisplayPort is better than HDMI but I don't think the locking button is necessary for the vast majority of users. I've never had an HDMI cable accidentally come unplugged.

Nope, Displayport is the superior interface for computers.

HDMI is meant for A/V equipment.

Which one has the lowest latency

DisplayPort organization say on 2019 will had sometime superior.

Any info about maximum cable length?
If it's less than 2m what's the point? Just go with USB-C. It covers DP, HDMI, MHL protocols and has an elegant symmetrical plug.

hdmi 2.1 supports variable refresh so future monitors which support it will also probably do freesync/gsync over hdmi

Connectors are side by side, not on top of each other.

Doesn't matter if it happens to you, it can and does happen to other people and for some it can be a big problem when that happens. Because of that reason HDMI isn't a complete replacement for DP so no it isn't finished.

HDMI will never replace or finish DP despite how much bandwidth it gets or how high a resolution it supports because DP can just match or exceed it with a new spec and will still have the superior connector.

>hdmi
>cable doesn't matter
>good performance and features
>drm thing is meaningless if you run non-drm media on it

>displayport
>get the unicorn cable or you can literally fry your hardware
>deprecated as of now
>buying expensive cables is not a meme with displayport

Yeah, MUH FREDUM and all that, eh?

>I'm so officially retarded that I need tard-safeguards like locking mechanisms so I don't accidentally disconnect it while I'm throwing the computer around the room like a down syndrome on a caffeine overdose

t. never locks vga or dvi because 3 digit IQ

What happened to SDI?

Vga

>spending over $8k to have to read shit with a magnifying glass

the audiophiles of monitors. 1080p stronk.

nobody fucking cares, also after the revolution all standards will be socialized

is that cable cracked around the top screw?

>hdmi
>cable doesn't matter

>displayport
>get the unicorn cable or you can literally fry your hardware

You got it backwards bud. All Displayport cables are the same (other than different connector sizes, and cables to adapt to other standards) where as with HDMI you have three different categories (four with 2.1).

Long as TV still has Component/Composite Jacks and HDMI 2.1 is fully compatible with HDMI then I really don't give a fuck. I still use DVI as my monitor connection to my desktop. 4K/8K crap is a total bullshit thing. 1080P is all you need unless your living room is literately the size of a stadium or your trying to go blind by viewing a 70+ incher from 2ft away.

>displayport's going to remain the PC standard
>remain
>implying HDMI is not the PC standard already

probably not seeing as it is the same way on both ends, fag

it's pretty obvious that it is just one end of the cable copy pasted

>4K crap is a total bullshit thing
You're only saying that because you're poor or/and a normie

At the low end sure, HDMI is probably more common. Once you get to higher resolutions and refresh rates and professional work DP is the go-to.

>At the low end sure
Which is 90% of the market anyway

It isn't. You need a new cable to support HDMI 2.1 over previous standards of HDMI.

anandtech.com/show/11003/hdmi-21-announced-8kp60-48gbps-cable

>The most important feature that the HDMI 2.1 specification brings is massively increased bandwidth over predecessors. That additional bandwidth (48 Gbps over 18 Gbps, a bit more than what a USB-C cable is rated for) will enable longer-term evolution of displays and TVs, but will require the industry to adopt the new 48G cable, which will keep using the existing connectors (Type A, C and D) and will retain backwards compatibility with existing equipment. The standard-length 48G cables (up to two meters) will use copper wires, but it remains to be seen what happens to long cables. It is noteworthy that while some of the new features that the HDMI 2.1 spec brings to the table require the new cable, others do not. As a result, some of the new features might be supported on some devices, whereas others might be not.

>You got it backwards bud. All Displayport cables are the same

You're so wrong that it's hilarious. DisplayPort cables vary MUCH more wildly than HDMI ones in terms of quality. Finding one which can actually deliver 1440p/144Hz or 4K/60Hz without random drop-outs is a challenge.

And they're all short as shit, because the signal degrades so quickly. You will not find a cable longer than 3m that can deliver those sort of resolutions and refresh rates. Even finding one over 2m that can do it reliably is needle in a haystack stuff.

Not to mention that 99.9% of DisplayPort cables don't comform to the VESA spec and have a live 20th pin. That pin then feeds 3.3V back into your graphics card.
monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html
In fact, if you don't have a cable that's on this list:
displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/?ps&pcat[0]=cables-connectors
Yours is almost certainly doing that right now, since those are the only certified cables on the market.

Hope you bought the extended warranty! :^)

Why don't they just use USB-C?

>Dell U2412M
I just bought two of these for $300. Great monitors. I'll probably switch to 4k next year though. Need a better GPU first.

DP is more common in high-end production equipment. Most workstation class GPUs only have DP these days.

>The only reason why TVs are primarily HDMI is because HDMI is literally because every major TV company because
Nigga hwat

>don't have VESA-approved cable
>No signal found
I love DP

this. until the prices of 4k drops to the point you can't buy 1080p monitors any more, 4k will be a meme.

1080p is best p

More like more e-junk.
Yes, keep on, we'll be cyberpunk in no time!