What is the best e-reader and why is it the Kindle Paperwhite?

What is the best e-reader and why is it the Kindle Paperwhite?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/
encyclopediadramatica.rs/Bookz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Amazon botnet
>Unable to read .epub
>Drag and drop doesn't work half the time

The only good things about the Paperwhite are the lovely hi-res screen and the backlight.

Oh, good! I'll just slip in my 200 GB microSD with my main epub library ....

nothing on libgen can be read on those. useless for a poorfag uni student.

I hate Amazon so I just use Calibre and it works great. Automatically converts from epub to mobi

Funny way to spell Mobo aura one

An extra step that wouldn't be needed had Scamazon been more open to standards

>he doesn't already use calibre to organize his library even when conversions aren't necessary

The best e-reader is kindle 3 because it has keyboard and no touch screen.

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

Are there any other e-readers that can match the battery life and sell for a reasonable price?

Hard mode: tell us what they are.

I use Calibre, it's just annoying that I even have to convert because of Shamazon. Turns a 1 second job into 2 seconds.

You can easily set it to automatically convert to mobi when you add the book to the library before even exporting it.
A non-issue.

I love my paper white, I usually read a book a week. I got around $300 back from amazon when they got sued for price fixing.

Sweet, an e-reader thread. Could you guys advise me if the Kobo Aura is significantly better than the Kobo Glo?

Is there a linux-friendly e-reader that lets you read whatever you want and doesn't have to be tied to some corporate infrastructure? i.e. some sort of "dumb" e-reader?

Why would you buy a shitty pooperwhite when the
>Kindle Voyage E-reader, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi
exists?

>same size and resolution
>double the price

Do you have to touch the screen to turn the page?

I have a kindle 4 and was looking at the paperwhite but the touch aspect it throwing me of

Yeah you have to swipe the screen left to advance the page. The screen has a tactile surface that feels a bit like paper. I love my Paperwhite. Keep it in airplane mode and the battery lasts for weeks.

>subhuman poorniggers can't afford the superior Kobo Aura One
Disgusting. Enjoy your tiny smartphone tier display, swindle paperweight poorfags.

Its why I got a Kobo H2O, I am always walking with it, and epub.

I am autistic about my screen being dirty. Does it stain easily?

*freezes*
*suck at pdf*
*touch stops working*

Every time i see a thread started with this bullshit about kindles and the paperwhite i immediately assume it's an amazon shill.
But then again, Sup Forums is filled with the type of nigger poorfag retards that would read ebooks in a smartphone sized screen like the kindle's.

Why the FUCK do ebook readers cost so much? You can buy a tablet that does 10x as much for the same price

It's the eink screen, not sure if the tech itself is expensive or if it's covered under a patent or something.

Sup Forums convince me to buy an ebook reader and not the paper version of my books.

you can pirate books

stop killing trees

THis

I can read almost any book I want in the local library.

You can download any book you want for free and instantaneously.

Ok, good reason, but... no.

For free? Not in my native language bro.

So fuck off. No one is trying to sell you on this shit man. Miss out on the opportunity then.

kindle PW jailbroken + KOreader open sores ebook reader [yes for epubs] and a nice leather case that makes it look like a bound book is objectively the best ereader setup. Its what ive got.

It's also much more space efficient, no need to carry bags of books, you also need to spend time and money (gas) to go to and from the library.

b-ok.org has some fairly obscure stuff, there's also an IRC full of library bots

It is a lot easier to get old books
gutenberg.org/

Give IRC please

It pays itself back after a dozen or so books, assuming you pirate them.
Holds hundreds of books in it.
Backlight. Great reading experience when dark.
Can customize font and text size to your liking.
Pop-up dictionary built in.
Annotation tools.

> (OP)
>>Amazon botnet
>Using the internet on an ereader
>>Unable to read .epub
What is Calibre
>>Drag and drop doesn't work half the time
What is Calibre

encyclopediadramatica.rs/Bookz

How are you on Sup Forums if calibre is too complex for you?

No backlight though and it is bigger/heavier than the paperwhite. My kindle keyboard died recently and I replaced it with the paperwhite, also grabbed a cheap chink case, it is pretty comfy.

Fun fact: e-ink uses actual pigment commonly used in paper media.

Thanks

You don't have to swipe, you can just tap the right side or the left side of the page for forwards/back respectively.
I haven't noticed any issues with marks on the screen but if you regularly walk around with filthy fingers I guess it could be a problem.

>smartphone sized screen
What fucking phone are you using nigga. The screens are the same size as novel pages. Sure it's not as big as the fantasy books you probably read but I don't want to carry around something that big.
If coloured e-ink started becoming a thing I wouldn't mind a textbook sized one though. As it is I usually use a tablet for reading textbooks.

Same size as digest garbage and pocket sized books maybe, faggot. Go shill somewhere else.

>Sure it's not as big as the fantasy books you probably read but I don't want to carry around something that big.

You're still projecting about fantasy books?
Get back to reading game of thrones and fuck off pajeet.

I got a Paperwhite this black friday, it didn't arrive yet but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

>remember when kindles first came out and I first saw eink
>transparent OLED was getting memed around the same time
>dreamed of a future where I had a phone with an eink display behind transparent OLED so that I could switch between reading and phone mode
>despite phones increasing to the size that would make reading more comfy it never happened
I hate every day that I am stuck living in this reality.

does it have a glossy screen or a matte finish? I dunno which is even better, matte will look better most of the time, but glossy is easier to clean

That's the spirit!

There are some phones with e-ink backs, it's pretty gimmicky but still.

>it didn't arrive yet but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

matte, i don't know if its hard to clean it has never left my house and my hands are always clean

It is matte plastic. You'll want a cover if you are going to chuck it into a bag loose.
I never had a cover for my keyboard and my screen was fine but I always sandwiched it between two books when carrying it in my bag (was a uni student in those days).

Speaking of pirating books. Does anybody know a source for Korean language books?

Is it even possible to get a good ereader one for reading manga and jung for like 50-60 bucks?
I don't mind buying used.

Kindle is shit. If money isn't an issue, it's the reMarkable. Kobo Aura otherwise.
I have a Kobo Mini, which is great cause it fits in your pocket easily.

Are you reading coloured manga/jung (I take it that is Korean manga)? Eink doesn't have colours. May be better off with a cheap tablet.

There's a "Manga Edition" Paperwhite in Japan with extra storage and faster page turning but the screen is still a bit too small for manga.

Which of the Kobo readers works best with Koreader?

Nah it's all B&W. Would love to finally read through bone and re-read calvin and hobbes too

How does the Kobo Aura Edition 2 compare to the paperwhite?

*blocks your path*

>looks at your hand

Not the only thing blocking my path is seems.

They're all shit, get a tablet. Not saying they aren't great for novels, but anything else and they fall short.

>LCD cancer for books
nah

It's saved me 500 dollars on textbooks so far.

Which kobo is that?
W2c for cheap?

You should be an Amazon reviewer. I swear to god, every time I go into the questions of literally any product over half of the answers are "Sorry, I didn't buy this item", "I haven't got it yet, but it might be", or "I couldn't tell you, I bought this for my son"

It's for fucking reading books. Do you really need to do this e-peen wanking contest over tech that has an extremely simple function? Shut the fuck up and read your books.

Did they fix the kindle not refreshing on every page but leaving a faint impression of the last page under the new page in the new kindle?

Onyx Boox M92

Read your crappy novels on your tiny screen while I read code and technical material.

got one of these for christmas kindle is literal trash and a waste of computer parts. They are an eyesore compared to regular books. navigating the kindle e reader is a pain, kindle fire is equally useless in that it sucks at everything except reading e books.

Is there a repository for pirating audiobooks? Surely there are people out there ripping the mp3s.

wait are you suggesting that the kindle fire is better for reading ebooks than the kindle ereader?

Is it possible to install koreader on a kobo H2O second edition? Haven't found an answer yet.

Ok seriously
I have 60 bucks, whats the best (used) ereader I can get for that?

I'd love to know this too. Only for the ability to back up my Audbile books. All the other methods I've tried are shit or don't work

Any kindle you can your hands on.

What tablet is that? Also, you're a fucking degenerate for reading that on your Kobo.

Well converting will need his cpu to work harder therefore consuming more power and consequently raising his electricity bill. Something that wouldn't have happened had cuckmazon been more open

>tablet market exploded in past five years
>e-readers are still Jewzon, chinkshit, and expensive niche brands not available in my country.

why

Because e-readers lost market share to tablets.

this you cocksucker

even amazon knows they made the paperwhite too good there's no need to buy anything else I've had mine since original launch still perfect

Satan knows best

You won't keep your wives bull awake with your reading light anymore

i don't buy products that use nigger slang in their name

I agree. Best thing I have ever bought in the last 10 years, I use it every day too.

Yeah I just got my paperwhite it's very nice. And additional RAM and the 1 Ghz CPUs in the newer e-readers make a nice difference compared to the old Kobo I had. The Nook Glowlight 3 is also a nice choice it seems, a little more pricey but it has a warm light feature and physical page turn buttons.

>Kobo
>shilling a laggy bootlooping shitfest with major QC issues that still requires you to convert epubs if you don't want 30 second pageturns
>is bettah cuz it's nut le aymazoon boutnet cucks xD
The nu-Sup Forums is fucking disgusting.

I have a nook. god I hate this piece of shit nook. I also own a gen1 kindle fire, it has apps on it but the store is limited to calculators, data sheets, calendars. The games suck on it, thankfully Im aging out of playing games. you could say I am new to e readers but so far my opinion is there are better methods of wasting my time.

>apps
>games
I think you're missing the point of e-readers.

Got one of these for pirated technical books, screen is really nice and technical book pdfs render very nicely. Just make sure you never register your kindle, never connect to wifi, and always keep airplane mode enabled to keep Amazon and the NSA from snooping in your dickgirl manga collection. Calibre + usb cable is all you need.

any good pirating sites for e books? I need material I can use like Adobe Indesign, filling a FASFA, how to vote, how to invest.

b-ok.org

neat